[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people prefer TPAB over this? Is it cos it's layered

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (101KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
101KB, 300x300px
Why do people prefer TPAB over this? Is it cos it's layered with "white guilt"? Cos melon head gave it a ten? Why? I really don't understand GKMC is far superior.
>>
tpab has better production and the decision making is generally more polished, i guess.
they are both 9+s though so what does it matter (white guilt got nothing to do with it edgerino)
>>
>>68291261
Nothing edgy here man, I just wonder how an album with tracks like For Free on, and is a sporadic slurry of thoughts with the only cohesion being some poems trying to tie it all together. To me TPAB is like Kendrick's had ideas, but no cohesion really. GKMC had all the ideas, and a damn story, without a single weak track that feels out of place.
>>
>>68291323
tpab feels pretty cohesive to me desu. its kind of fragmentary but it has it's own sound. like do you think madvillainy is a cohesive album?
>>
Both are amazing, that's for sure. I canot speak for everyone, but a good analogy I for me would be films, considering Kendrick's music is so cinematic(he probably thinks the same as seen in GKMC's tagline "A short Film by...").
Let's go Kubrick for a little while...
I see GKMC as similar to Clockwork Orange, it has a steady narrative, defined characters(as much as an album can have), and while it follows a rather traditional-mainstream structure and feel it remains original and fresh.
TPAB, on the other hand, is more akin to 2001: a Space Odyssey, with a more inovating structure, relying more on providing it's audience with an experience than a proper story, with separate "pieces" that can be taken on their own, but that once put together weave a whole new idea. Like soviet "montage".

Both, still, beibg true to the artists vision and style.

Ipersonally preffer TPAB as a whole for it's innovation, but enjoy some of GKMC's tracks separately.
>>
>>68291205
No idea OP, GKMC is a far more cohesive album... plus I get tired of Thundercat's bass playing, he's talented but I can only listen to his super busy style in small doses
>>
Things wrong with GKMC
Drake in Money Trees
The fact that the album doesn't end at Sing about me
>>68291909

This
>>
>>68292221
drake isn't on money tree fuccboi
>>
>implying /mu/ prefers TPAB over GKMC
C'mon man lurk moar
>>
>>68291205
GKMC is more direct in its narrative: it's about an event that happened and Kendrick's thoughts on it. TPAB has a far larger scope, with Kendrick commenting on race, sex, violence, religion, depression, etc. The production on both are great in their own ways and I don't think one is better as far as that goes.
>>
>>68291205
The better question is why do people prefer either over Section.80 or OD
>>
>>68292244
Whoops, meant to say poetic justice
>>
>>68292326
You're implying GKMC doesn't have all this shit boi, do you need Kendrick's to hand all the themes out on a plate for you and then for Fantano to tell you about them all?
>>
>>68292372
Dumbshit
>>
>>68291323
I personally thought the poems were sufficient in tying everything together through the "I remember you was conflicted..." poem being expanded on throughout the album. The "you" in that poem was Kendrick himself, and the story of TPAB is a journey of self-discovery, the finding of a purpose, with all the tribulations associated with it, and the expression of a desire to share his realizations with others, and this parallels the caterpillar's development into the butterfly, the butterfly being taken advantage of by the caterpillar (those who have not found themselves and consume anything around them) while at the same time finding more about the world it lives in with its newfound freedom, and the realization from Kendrick that the caterpillar and butterfly are one and the same despite being different (the aspects of character both creatures have are all part of what makes Kendrick, and any person going through this journey, people). I felt that all of the songs could be reasonably fit in the context of both poems and overall, I thought both were well done.

And even without the poems, the tone of each song and the way they were ordered (some were clearly meant to follow others) made it pretty clear to me that there was a narrative going on; the album had clear up and down moments shown through both lyrics and production, with moments of insecurity, hatred, and temptation frequently clashing with moments of recovery and enlightenment culminating in a joyous affirmation of a love of oneself and one's brethren. I'm a sucker for that kind of stuff, so maybe that's why I like the album so much.

Also, I liked For Free? a lot, it was a pretty entertaining blend of jazz and Gil-Scott Heron/Amiri Baraka type poetry, slam poetry almost, which I grew up listening to. But, this is all just my opinion anyway.
>>
>>68291205
Oh look it's the daily "I hate the politics of TPAB" thread
>>
>>68292482
Why are you so angry?
>>
>>68292356
Because section 80 is when kendrick really came into his own with only one bad song. (No make up). Plus it has ab souls best verse ob ab soul outro as well as really memorable songs like fuck your ethnicity, a.d.h.d, ronald regean era, hol up, hiipower, blow my high, kush and korinthians and keisha's song
>>
>>68291205
This
>>
They're both phenomenal albums, I simply listen to TPAB, and enjoy it ever so slightly, more than GKMC. Not sure you can say one album is better than the other though, they're pretty different.
>>
>>68293327
So people prefer GKMC or TPAB over section 80 because it only has one song? You're not making sense
>>
>>68293455
They're both just much better albums: better songs, more interesting ideas, more cohesive...just better.
>>
>>68291909
Great answer honestly
>>
>>68291323
Are you retarded? For Free is literally an interlude, it features a phenomenal verse from Kendrick, a solid concept, and it's a clear send-up to spoken word poetry. If anything, it lends more credibility to the poems which tie the whole thing together. There is no For Sale without For Free. TPAB is cohesive as fuck, though there's maybe a couple tracks that could get dropped from the back half. If you think TPAB didn't have a story, go back and listen again with lyrics - Kenny beats you over the head with the narrative. He holds your hand through each song, recapping the story so far.
>>
>>68291205
Maad city is better in every possible way, if you don't understand then you're fucking stupid.
>>
>>68291909
This
>>
>>68293130
I don't give a fuck about no politics in rap, my nigga
>>
>>68291909
So you're a eral cinema connoiseur huh?

Wow...
>>
>>68292474
If anything, GKMC had everything shoved in your face more. Songs like poetic justice, the skits clearly explaining the story "We all know Kdot's tryna fuck on Sherane tonight". Don't act like you're smart dude cause you clearly find huge difficulty with making simple comparisons
>>
>>68293327
Sure it's when Kendrick came into his own but even the songs people always talk about like Ronald Reagan* Era have incredibly weak aspects (intro), a.d.h.d. is repetitive as fuck, like I get it whew there's a crack epidemic WHEW didn't catch that the first 50 verses thanks Kendrick. I'm not even gonna talk about No Makeup because it's such low-hanging fruit. Kush and Corinthians has a pretty weak flow going that's trying way too hard to be creative. Tammy's Song is probably the most misogynistic and self-absorbed song I've ever heard.

That being said, there are some good songs on it, like fuck your ethnicity, hol up, and hiipower, but I fucking laugh my ass off whenever one of you idiots try to argue that Section.80 is better than GKMC. TPAB is one of my favourite albums of all time but I've just accepted that people on this board will never be in consensus about that, so I don't give a fuck. But GKMC is just clearly a better album front to back
>>
Section.80 is superior to both
>>
>>68295277
ur dum
>>
>>68292221
Sing About Me really could've been the Two headed boy pt 2 closer the album deserved. The Dr. Dre and Drake features felt forced.
>>
>>68291909
/thread
>>
>>68292221
Except for the lyrics in the verses everything about swimming pools is God awful as well
>>
>>68291909
>comparing apple to oranges
wow... you learned a lot in your freshman year of college anon.
>>
>>68295746

Did you even get his point?
He's not comparing the albums TO the films.
He's comparing apples to apples to make his point about oranges clearer...
>>
>>68291205
If you use the term white guilt seriously then of course you don't understand TPAB and you never will.
>>
File: 1474913777695.jpg (58KB, 592x592px) Image search: [Google]
1474913777695.jpg
58KB, 592x592px
Good Kid and Sing About Me are the only songs I can stomach, everything else sounds like mainstream nightclub banger-beat bullshit. Could care less about the "narrative" when plebs are screaming YAWK YAWK YAWK at my face.

Alright and King Kunta are the only super accessible tracks on TPAB, and even then I still prefer those tracks over Swimming Pools and Poetic Justice...

and TPAB doesn't have a Drake feature, thank god.
>>
>>68296422
Have you even listened to the album? How does Sherane and The Art of Peer Pressure even almost fit in with that description?
>>
>>68296461
you're right, I hadn't. Art of Peer Pressure is great, thanks.

Point still stands though, the popular tracks on GKMC annoy me to no end. And they're the only tracks most people can recognize. The whole album doesn't fit my description, but enough of it does I think
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.