[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone else think music is sometimes used to influence the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

Does anyone else think music is sometimes used to influence the population's behavior? Although the artist may not intend it, their own disfunctionalities show up in their lyrics and those thought patterns are transferred via a catchy melody and ingrained into millions of kids, teens, and adults who are subconciously looking for role models. This is only one example, but I remember specifically friends and I growing up adopting many of the behaviors and thought patterns of each new band we listened to. I'm not saying that we weren't already going toward those behaviors but that the music acts as both an encourager and a reinforcer. This can influence kids in ways as seemingly harmless as being obsessed with the "I" perspective (rather than a collectivist mindset) and victimhood (think Taylor Swift or any narcissistic musician) to ensuring that kids in inner city environments flock to gang culture and crime.
>>
no shit just look at inner city blacks and rap music

I typed this before reading till the end, but ya
>>
Ya bro I listened to Boards once and now I'm in a cult. Beautiful scenery tho.
>>
yes but its for the better in most cases becuz more thoughtful creative musicians have better inner monologue
>>
Yeah, I think so. It seems comparable to the influence that our friends's behaviors can have on our subconscious and actions.
>>
>>68286452
This, except that its power is in orders of magnitude greater because that influence is amplified by a rhythm (rhythm is a great way to collectively influence people, google it) and most melodies are easy to get stuck in your head, which ensures that certain thoughts or mantras stay rattling around in your head. Couple that with the fact that certain chord structures induce strong emotional response in people and you have the pop industry's motives and techniques in a nutshell.
>>
I think of music as less an influencer and more as a product of its influences. 21 Savage isn't gonna influence anyone to go shoot up a house if the kid wasn't gonna shoot up the house in the first place. But, if you're gonna go shoot up a house, might as well listen to music about it too.
>>
>>68286229
>Does anyone else think music is sometimes used to influence the population's behavior?
Nope not at all. its all about what they do outside of music that influences people
>>
>>68286229
so you're keen on music?
>>
>>68286229
>people look for role models and will imitate them
STOP THE GODDAMN PRESSES
>>
>>68286767
That isn't necessarily true. It can honestly go both ways, and for two reasons:

1. It depends on how impressionable the person is

2. Influence via media is not an immediate effect. Its not like people listen to 'The Nobodies' by Marilyn Manson and they go shoot up a school. Its about being led down a rabbit hole of influence over months or years time that slowly alters a persons thought patterns and eventually behavior patterns.

For example, a kid in middle school is bullied for having a frail body and ugly face, so he therefore feels fear and wants to quell that fear with some kind of reassuring feeling. He could hear a song about being lonely somewhere and start getting into that sort of music because it gives him a sense of belonging. He then starts to identify with the singers' lyrics a lot and eventually the kid becomes a victim to himself, subconsciously setting himself up to be a victim and an outcast, because there is a sort of romantic and melodramatic charm or comfort to that predicament. This continues over the years like a feedback loop and the kid constantly consumes popular media that depicts the "outcast" archetype. And how does our media depict outcasts? A lot of it is mental illness and violence. (Remember though, this is just one example. The kid could also be influenced in a myriad of other ways and become a shy cuckold or something, but let's stick with the columbine-esque narrative.) The kid could for example have seen the Dark Knight and decide that the power that the Joker seems to hold over people makes the kid feel like emulating the Joker. It makes the kid feel powerful, something that he's not used to feeling, and something that his favorite musicians also yearn for and attempt to show the world through intense anger. Yada-yada-ya, a few years later after all this isolation and self-hypnosis, the kid is becoming mentally unstable and violent. NOW give him 21 Savage and Death Grips and see what happens.
>>
>>68286229
are you the same idiot that keeps rambling about MKUltra on /tv/?
>>
>>68287174
Now, what I'm not saying is that music is some sort of brainwashing tool and we're all sheep or whatever, but I don't think that it's a coincidence that media executives choose certain bands, actors, and characters to depict certain roles and behavior patterns to sell to the masses. Remember how much money goes into media and what kind of things that major labels and major production or news companies are putting out there and consider why they choose some of the things they do. I think that they understand that kids especially are mirrors and are looking for role models constantly. What better way to get people to fill the roles you want them to as fast as possible than through media, especially something as emotionally stimulating as music? Hell, I remember multiple times in my life that I made life changing decisions because of a fucking song lyric. It's like a coin-toss. When you're at a crossroads in life sometimes all it takes is a song to push you in one direction or the other.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.