[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is black people inventing music a meme? I hear people say things

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

File: chuck-berry_0.jpg (524KB, 4784x2953px) Image search: [Google]
chuck-berry_0.jpg
524KB, 4784x2953px
Is black people inventing music a meme?

I hear people say things like "black people invented rock music" but these foundational music these people made seems to be so general that it could only have been vague inspiration for bands like Led Zeppelin

And that only gets more and more general as time goes on, to say that Chuck Berry is ultimately responsible for grunge music is kind of ridiculous

I don't know about jazz music and stuff
>>
admittedly rock has its roots from the jazz innovated in new orleans by black and european immigrants but what we see as rock today was innovated by both races
>>
>>68286172
yeah but if chuck berry never existed grunge wouldn't
>>
>>68286205
It would probably inevitably manifest itself, it might take a bit longer
>>
>>68286189
/thread
>>
I've been seeing this viral feelgood facebook thing about Sister Rosetta Tharpe inventing rock music. Sure that claim has been embellished a bit but whatever, black people w/ electric guitars are owed their due credit. What I don't get is the SJW claim that she was queer. Like I can't find a source for that anywhere. So yes, it is a meme in some ways
>>
>>68286189
fuck off memewhore
>>
>>68286218
Please never post again
>>
>like Led Zeppelin
this is a can of worms I don't want to open, but no, black people inventing is not a meme, even if it is exaggerated by some people. Even the term rock and roll was a slang for sex among black southerners.

Chuck Berry himself wasn't the creator of rock and roll, he was just the first to seriously bridge the gap between black and white southern listeners.

>>68286250
Find any documentary or book about her and it'll take about how she was in relationships with women.
>>
>>68286270
They were tho, get real honky
>>
This documentary goes into detail about Tharpe's romantic history.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuVzm86oB1Y&list=PLpFyTotXjhv8qQO57c6WnnpTtXQq7HTWC
>>
>>68286281
>>68286308
Excellent thank you
>>
black rock musicians were better than white ones in the 50s/early 60s tho.
>>
>>68286267
I'll do what the fuck I want you faggot cunt.
>>
Mind you, rock and roll by the term it was known as rock and roll was really a mix of blues, rhythm and blues (and yes, they were already different things by that point), honky tonk/western swing and gospel music. No, it wasn't *only* invented by black people but I'm willing to say it was *mostly* invented by them.

>>68286281
>it'll take about how she was in relationships with women.
fuck I need to start proofreading my posts.
>>
>>68286405
You're posting again. Please stop.
>>
>>68286482
No.
>>
File: dixon.jpg (310KB, 1434x1600px) Image search: [Google]
dixon.jpg
310KB, 1434x1600px
Don't mind me, I'm just gonna post a partial list of artists who have covered a Willie DIxon song:

>Chuck Berry
>Bo Diddley
>Muddy Waters
>Rolling Stones
>Led Zeppelin
>Bob Dylan
>Jimi Hendrix
>Cream
>The Who
>The Doors
>The Grateful Dead
>Bruce Springsteen
>Captain Beefheart
>Bill Haley
>Link Wray
>Tom Petty
>B.B. King
>Faces
>The Animals
>The Kinks
>The Yardbirds
>Elvis Costello
>Motörhead
>New York Dolls
>Phish
>The White Stripes
>Hawkwind
>Etta James
>Van Morrison
>Meat Puppets
>Sam Cooke
>Willie Nelson
>Aerosmith
>Sly & the Family Stone
>Styx
>Stevie Ray Vaughn
>Jeff Beck
>The Jesus & Mary Chain
>Violent Femmes
>ZZ Top
>Jimmy Reed
>Tina Turner
>Fleetwood Mac
>The Allman Brothers
>The Band
>PJ Harvey
>Warren Zevon
>Tori Amos
>Prince
>The Monkees
>Santana
>>
>>68286250
not going to lie, if i ever become a woman i'm going to have sex with her in the past
>>
>>68286527
Okay, listen. You might think you're really hilarious, being all smarmy and whatnot. But you're not. You're seriously not. I honestly want you to stop posting, from the bottom of my heart.
>>
>>68286172
rock exists because of England
>>
>>68286563
>talks about all the artists who've played Willie Dixon songs
>doesn't mention Howlin' Wolf
I'm confused more than anything
>>
>>68286660

The top three are the main Chess cast so obviously the top cut caught off
>>
>>68286172
Records long proposed to be the first in rock and roll:

>Route 66 by Nat Cole (black)
>Rock the Joint by Jimmy Preston (black)
>The Fat Man by Fats Domino (black)
>Rocket 88 by Jackie Brenston & Ike Turner (both black)
>How Many More Years by Howlin' Wolf (black)
>Hound Dog by Willie Mae Thorton (black)
>Gee by The Crows (all black)
>>
>>68286172
Everything is WE WUZ
And WE WUZ is everything
>>
>>68286605

This. Black blues and early rock n roll musicians pioneered and are certainly owed a huge amount a credit, but without the British invasion, rock music would have been nothing more than a novelty and a mere footnote in music history today.

And Neil Young invented grunge.
>>
>>68286884
And without blacks, rock eouldn't have existed at all. The point is that they invented it. Of course, they now have far less influence on the genre
>>
>>68286189
Well more or less Black people created and white people took over and expanded on the genre, they didn't fuck up the genre but it was highly dominated by white people and there are many white artists who paid tribute to the ones they took inspiration from.
>>
The "blue" note is just a diminished 5th added to minor pentatonic scale. The instruments, theory and everything already existed. They created a style of music that may or may have not influenced other musicians or led to the formation of other genres. In other words it's technically a lie.
>>
>>68287316

What a fucking stupid post. Yes anon, we're all aware that early blues musicians did not invent new sounds.
>>
>>68287439
I think you meant to click on tumblr. Sorry for triggering you.
>>
>>68287316
There is no may or may not about it, it's a documented fact that blues led to the formation of other genres.
>>
>>68286172
hell be fine
>>
>>68287501

>get called out on being a complete retard
>HUR DUR TUMBLR TRIGGER

This isn't your safe space /pol/ anon. That's not a meaningless catch all end to any discussion you can pull out when you realize you look like a dumbass
>>
>>68286172
>vague inspiration for bands like Led Zeppelin
literal plagiarism desu senpai
>>
>>68287548
and foundational figures in rock acknowledged their debt to blues, it's not some sjw conspiracy
>>
File: 734.jpg (19KB, 500x265px) Image search: [Google]
734.jpg
19KB, 500x265px
>>68287501
>post retarded shit
>get called a faggot
>respond with LE TRIGGERING >>>/TUMBLR/ SAFE SPACE
>>
>>68287882
Hell, even Hank Williams talked about how he learned to play music from a blues player. Music has always been a mixing point for the south.
>>
>>68286172
Black people come from Africa, and the first humans came from Africa, so technically black people invented music itself.
>>
>>68287501
>>68287697
>>68287938
You are all overreacting

Blues is a variation of european folk music
>>
File: 1473346209491.jpg (4MB, 2764x4096px) Image search: [Google]
1473346209491.jpg
4MB, 2764x4096px
>>68286172
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZrO1L0GCKk

>Invented Rock n Roll!

Invented blues Yes. Rock and roll? No not really. They copy shit like errbody else.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.