[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /mu/ in the past year I've been singing a lot while

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: 1461038186281.jpg (38KB, 286x371px) Image search: [Google]
1461038186281.jpg
38KB, 286x371px
Hey /mu/ in the past year I've been singing a lot while driving to and from places to the point where I feel my voice is okay- not good but sounds okay.
I just stumbled across this: http://therangeplace.forummotions.com/t3892-kurt-cobain
and I'm wondering if singers actually practice each and every note/pitch, if they write it that way, or if they just sing it until it sounds good to them and then people look into the notes afterwards?
If I were to start making music, would I be judged for not knowing all this technical information about singing?
>>
>>68270435

No, don't bring that evil here.
>>
>>68270435

I've been in several amateur bands and am pretty invested in the local music scene, and I've never met a singer who actually trained technically. However, I can tell you that it does make a difference, and is worth doing. Singers assume that you either have a good voice or not, which is totally false. Voice and be trained and improved.
>>
>>68270472
Sorry
I just wonder because in elementary school music class we were trained hard in pitch and recorded to see if we were matching it and then compared with others. I wondered if musicians record and listen back to each pitch/note or if they just go for the right feel.
>>
>>68270501
I'm reading now and a bunch of people are talking about being "in tune". What does that mean exactly then?
Do you have any recommendations for training your voice?
>>
There's nothing wrong with training to be technical as long as it doesn't get in the way of your ability to perform. I'm a shit-tier singer so take my word with a grain of salt but I think there's more to singing than just sounding "correct."
>>
>>68270563
I think so, too.
That said, why do those people so closely track notes and pitch? Is it just autism?
>>
>>68270582
I think it's gotta stem from choral music, where it's important to have standardized pitches or everything goes to shit. Why do people think that's important when you don't have to mesh with other human voices? No idea, probably just a need to feel like they're a better performer.
>>
>>68270435
just keep tuned, listen to the other instruments and find the best flow for the lyrics
>>
>>68270636
That makes a lot of sense actually.
It really worried me because I've been thinking about making some music lately but the massive technical learning curve discouraged me. I figured I'd have to study music theory, learn how to read and write music, learn how to recognize note and pitch and train my voice like that... relieved to hear that is not the case.
>>
>>68270671
Yeah, I'd say go for it if you feel like it'll fit your sound. Music theory can be really fun and it can be good to have a background in even if you're not making horrifingly technical music. That being said, if dudes like Will Toledo and Mark Kozelek can find a niche then I bet you can too. That's not to say they're not fantastic artists, I just mean that they've figured out what they're good at and they've built their sound on those strengths.
>>
>>68270726
Interesting, thank you. I plan to read up on musical theory but as far as the rest of the more technical stuff goes, I don't think so. I have one more question- does not using high notes when singing make something bad?
99% of music is sung with higher notes, it seems, but I have always much preferred Tom Waits, mainly because he gives me hope I could sing and not be shit one day, because my voice is just way to deep naturally to go very high.
>>
>>68270501
You have any advice for training it? Or anywhere I could learn/reference?
>>
>>68270778
Absolutely not. If you're not comfortable in your upper register then don't feel required to use it. Whatever puts you closer to your creative vision is the most correct way to go about it.
>>
>>68270834
Huh, that's really cool.
I've always adored music but it seemed like magic to me because I assumed everything was written out and arranged perfectly. That's really cool that it doesn't have to be certain ways.
It's really easy to fall for the memes in music. I've been learning just how broad it is lately. Thanks very much my man.
>>
>>68270863
No problem brother, remember to post here when you get some material ironed out, I know I'd love to hear it
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.