[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Be a Computer Engineering major >Take Music Appreciation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 3

File: gday.jpg (278KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
gday.jpg
278KB, 1000x1000px
>Be a Computer Engineering major
>Take Music Appreciation because I fucking love music and want to make my own one day
>Sitting in class early today waiting for it to start
>A few people chatting up the professor
>One asks him what his favorite album is
>He says "American Idiot"
>Goes on to say Green Day is his favorite band and he is pumped for their new album

You have GOT to be fucking kidding me. Why is shit like this allowed? Green Day is fucking lowest common denominator trash.

Why the fuck would ANY INSTITUTION allow people clearly have no fucking grasp on music other than Top 40 garbage to teach and influence young artists?

Is this the reason most music is so shitty? How the fuck can you defend someone who supports the band that literally ASSASSINATED the Punk genre teaching up and coming artists.

Holy fuck it makes me scared to know this fucking tard is going to be the one grading my work and ultimately giving me a grade.
>>
>>68263195
top 10 albums right now
>>
>>>/r/autism
>>>/r/adhd
>>
>>68263205
Donno if I can put together a top 10 but my favorites are:

The Buzzcocks - Singles Going Steady
Middle Class - Out of Vogue
Quicksilver Messenger Service: Happy Trails
Scott Walker - Scott 4
>>
>>68263195
Yeah but you probably like Weezer though
>>
>>68263217
>>68263271
Why are you defending his tastes
>>
>>68263195
>I fucking love music and want to make my own one day
what's stopping you from doing it now?
>>
>>68263334
1. No resources
2. I want to learn the theory before I learn practical
3. No time because I am trying to finish my degree in 3years
>>
>>68263195
Maybe the class won't suck if you don't go into it with such a negative attitude
>>
>>68263351
What type of music do you want to make?

And why did you take appreciation instead of theory?
>>
>>68263380
Probably Trallpunk or Antifolk

I need this class as a pre-rec for Theory 1 and 2
>>
>>68263351
>theory before practical
don't fall for the meme
>>
>>68263195
fuck off, freshman
>>
So is no one going to comment on the fact that OP is a piece of shit and that music taste is subjective and you should only care if he tries to force it upon you
>>
>>68263424
I mean, you don't strictly need theory for either of those. Antifolk, maybe since it's kind of about breaking conventions and you need to know the conventions to break them, but even still.

>>68263456
they're both important

But it would be better to be familiar with an instrument, preferably a piano or a guitar or something, when you learn theory
>>
>>68263476
Nah, new Green Day is trash
>>
>>68263601
Ehh they really old stuff was good.

American Idiot had a few good tracks

The next 4 (I forget the one, and then Uno/Dos/Tres) were fucking garbage.

So far off their new album Bang Bang is ehhh and I kinda like Revolution Radio
>>
>>68263195
>the professor
>he is pumped
>Green Day

I'm guessing he's a middle aged man trying to fit in with kids half his age. His favorite band is probably some obscure shit and he just thought "damn, what are kids into these days? I want to be the cool professor!"

Also why are you studying meme engineering if you want to become a musician?
>>
>>68263195
>You have GOT to be fucking kidding me. Why is shit like this allowed? Green Day is fucking lowest common denominator trash.
Wouldn't a music professor know better than you?
>>
>>68263424
>Probably Trallpunk or Antifolk
If you stripped Green day down to just one acoustic guitar and a vocal, it'd literally be anti-folk and sound exactly like Poop The Bunny
>>
>>68264180
Fallback in case I suck

>>68264202
Shit taste isnt age exclusive

>>68264231
Bullshit
>>
>>68264255
>Shit taste isnt age exclusive
But musical knowledge informs taste. Can you do a harmonic analysis of Green Day right now? I bet you couldn't.

>Bullshit
It's true. Think about it.

What's wrong with Green Day anyways? If you can't answer succinctly then you probably lack the musical intelligence to do it yourself and should give up and be a crusty.
>>
>>68264255
dude if you haven't started making music yet then you're gonna be in for a surprise when it takes years for you to get to the level professional musicians are at

lmao i can't believe you thought that you have an actual career plan figured out
>>
>>68263195
you're a loser
>>
>>68263195
holy shit, calm down you autist.
>>
>Tfw my favorite album of all time is American Idiot

I have literally never told anyone IRL because I am afraid I will get LMAO GREEN DAY as a response

Jesus of Suburbia is my jam
>>
>>68264392
>because I am afraid I will get LMAO GREEN DAY as a response
Do you hang out with only 15 year olds?
>>
>>68263195
>be a computer engineering major

is this relevant to anything?
>>
>I want to study music in college because I don't currently understand it
>But I'm sure I know more about it than my professor already
>>
>>68264447
It's so we know he's autistic
>>
>>68263195
OP is a faggot but Green Day is punk rock for people who think that even The Ramones or NOFX are too edgy and hardcore.
>>
>>68263195

>computer engineering

>taste

choose one (99% of the time)

Haven't you noticed that cool people are always broke?
>>
>>68264425
No im 22 so everyone my age knows Green Day as the "band who said mean things about Bush in their songs after 9/11" and think American Idiot was their first album

There are people my age who literally thought they were treasonous for hating on America after 9/11
>>
>>68264529
Ironically it took them 20 years to even make a slightly edge song.

Bang! Bang! is about what its like to be a mass shooter getting randy for the act
>>
>>68264565
>>68264529
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIvBZMcXW4o
>>
OP most music appreciation professors are music professors so their interests are gonna tend towards classical and art music. Their taste in pop music is not usually very good.

My tuba professor when I was a freshman went on and on about Lady Gaga. Not that she's bad but he was obsessed. And this was a guy who had played in very high profile orchestras and symphonies.
>>
>>68263195
>How can someone who doesn't have a musical taste as refinned and as incredible as myself be teaching all these young and impressionalble music peasents about music?
>His musical taste is so mundane, he won't even understand my work of genius.
>Oh how I am so superior to all these music peasents since I am so much more knowledgeble and have such an aquired and perfect musical taste.

Kill Yourself.
>>
>>68264543
>22
>10 years old when American idiot came out
>7 years old when 9/11 happened.

I tell you what man you hung out with some very precocious 10 year olds.

Everyone in their mother in the rock scene had some sort of anti-bush thing going on at the time, and Green Days' was the most watered down one. They ever even mention him by name.
>>
>>68264627
>mfw even as a music student in one of the most prestigious school in the country i had to "learn" about dubstep from some pencil-necked gay musicology professor who once knocked his hand on an empty desk while lecturing and apologized to it
>>
>>68264583
No one knew about Kerplunk back in the day, and even that song isn't all that edgy.
>>
>>68263195
My music teacher listens to a lot of /mu/core here
>>
>>68263195
>lowest common denominator

>Top 40 garbage

two memes, theres good music everywhere, personal tastes, eccentric favorities, a side of the mainstream that the 'elitist' adore, since he study music hes passionate about what the masses like to hear too

even if green day have only a few good songs, its blink
>>
>>68263195
you seem like a lot of fun
>>
>>68264697
>back in the day
What day?
>that song isn't all that edgy
The production and performance is pretty punk rock.
>>
When did you grow out of hating Green Day /mu/?
>>
>>68264871
I've always loved Green Day
>>
>>68264871
I never really did. The only albums that I hated were Uni!/Dos!/Tres! but they were destined to fail, and at least Green Day TRIED something new (Didn't help Armstrong was peak pilled out by the point)

Revolution Radio looks like its going to be a very very good album as well
>>
>>68263195
it's because "music appreciation" is actually just "how to into music for normies"

if you wanted a professor with good taste, you should try a music history class, and see if it's in the actual music school and not just some dude who thinks pandora radio is absolutely amazing
>>
>>68264930
>looks like it's going to be a very very good album
It's my aoty, just ahead of the Nick cave album
>>
>>68264839
the 90s when Green Day blew up onto the mainstream and Kerplunk was this well-kept secret that only indie record store shoppers knew about

>punk rock

I hate talking about punk as an ideology, but that's what I mean. Rebellion and all that meme.
>>
>>68265038
>the 90s when Green Day blew up onto the mainstream and Kerplunk was this well-kept secret that only indie record store shoppers knew about
Not really. Everyone in my high school who cared about it was taking about it. 39 Smooth, maybe. But not Kerplunk. Were you even alive in the 90s?
>I hate talking about punk as an ideology, but that's what I mean
Then we are in agreement, they were punk rock. it's really not their fault you and your ilk have misconstrued the band.
>>
Remember a few years ago when they were performing at like the MTV Pepsi Summer Pop Festival or some shit and they got totally mad when they were being signalled to wrap up their set and so they trashed their own instruments and yelled about how old they are and kids shouldn't listen to Justin Bieber and selfies at concerts are ridiculous.
>>
File: image.jpg (143KB, 753x707px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
143KB, 753x707px
>>68263195
Stop being a faggot, let people have their own musical tastes

For punk, Green Day is good considering punk was never that good of a genre. American Idiot is their best album, and I can see how people can really have it as their best. Stop being so triggered.

Maybe I took the bait..
>>
>>68265180
Yeah, Armstrong sperged the fuck out and then went to rehab a few days later.

He wasn't wrong either. I donno how I feel about it. On one hand it was cringy but on the other they are right and did the "punk" thing
>>
>>68265093
>were punk rock

Maybe they WERE "punk" rock in that blink 182/sum 41 sense for their first EP, but they forever since remained alternative rock on the same level as Smash Mouth
>>
>>68265278
the punk thing would have been to not show up at a festival called iHeartradio, featuring artists such as Usher and Taylor Swift.
>>
>>68265279
No not at all.
>>68265330
Co-opting things is much more punk rock than protesting it
>>
>>68265330
This t b h

The punk attitude can only be found in bands like Wavves now to a degree
>>
>>68265330
I mean it was 12 days after their new album (That was terrible) came out.

Figure you go shill your shit, show them how to play real music I dont fucking know I dont buy into the whole Punk subgenre
>>
>>68265375
>Co-opting

Showing up at a pop festival and having a mid-life crisis on stage because you're not as popular as you were back in 95 is neither co-opting anything nor punk rock.
>>
>>68265464
Tell me about all the hit songs you've written
>>
>>68265391
Depending on how much you want to dissect it, any artist that's just making or recording their own music on a laptop and throwing it on bandcamp or something is living at least that DIY independent lifestyle, as much as any garage band that copied their own tapes and photocopied their own album art, political stuff aside.

>>68265425
Punk ideology bullshit aside, any artist from any genre that would have been like HEEEYYY MAAAAN DO YOU KNOW WHO WE ARE WE DON'T HAVE TIME LIMITS ON OUR SETS WE USED TO BE COOL would have been as much of an embarrassment.
>>
>>68265554
>Punk ideology bullshit aside, any artist from any genre that would have been like HEEEYYY MAAAAN DO YOU KNOW WHO WE ARE WE DON'T HAVE TIME LIMITS ON OUR SETS WE USED TO BE COOL would have been as much of an embarrassment.
Not if they had a contractual obligation to play a specific set time you dummy
>>
>>68263255
Buzzcocks are nowhere near better than prime time green day
>>
>>68265477
Go to bed, Billie Joe Armstrong
>>
>>68264180
Someone who was 15 when Dookie came out is 37 now.
>>68265180
Their slot got cut down to give more time to fucking Urshur.
>>
>>68265554
This >>68265599

The problem was that they were allotted a certain amount of time and then Armstrong saw (Or thought he saw) the organizer telling them to cut the set short (presumably so the next set, which was Usher got the extra time)

Then they got TRIGGERED
>>
>>68263195
>ASSASSINATED the Punk genre
that's such a stupid thing to say. sorry, discarded
>>
>>68265599
>if

>We would like everyone to know that our set was not cut short by Clear Channel and to apologize to those we offended at the iHeartRadio Festival in Las Vegas
>>
>>68265742
Anon. people like all the time
>>
>>68265647
>>68265666

According to the Meme Day themselves, their time wasn't cut short.

The guy was too drunk to remember anything.
>>
>>68265787
Oh well fair enough. He did get sober after that so whatever at least something good came from his retardation
>>
>>68265742
"Clear Channel, a company worth billions of dollars, which owns the majority of radio stations in the US and has a definite conservative slant, did no wrong and are great people PLEASE KEEP. PLAYING OUR SONGS ON THE RADIO I'M SORRY. "
>>
>Band has an album so successful they write a successful Broadway Play on it
>Shit
>>
>>68263255
Buzzcocks sounds almost exactly like Green Day
>>
>>68264543
Where the hell do you live?
>>
>>68266297
not him but I'm guessing America
>>
>>68263195
>>68265702

That's right. Punk died the second that mainstream bands were signed to major record labels back in 77 like The Sex Pistols and The Clash, and it became "punk rock". Green Day was just one of dozens if not hundreds of bands that had been taking turns raping its bloated corpse. You can't single them out over any others.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.