[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I keep hearing people rag on /mu/ rag on music like dubstep and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 128
Thread images: 10

File: Deadmau5-HD-Wallpaper.jpg (162KB, 1920x1152px) Image search: [Google]
Deadmau5-HD-Wallpaper.jpg
162KB, 1920x1152px
I keep hearing people rag on /mu/ rag on music like dubstep and EDM and then claim that their underground dry electronic music is supposed to be better but I have yet to see an example of something that's more interesting or nuanced than your standard EDM song

There's like Burial and Mala and the rest of it is remarkably uninteresting. If you just like dry and spacey music that's fine but please stop pretending that it's better than dance music because it's less flashy, it's the same shit

This is signed someone that likes IDM

btw if you have exceptions feel free to post them ITT
>>
>>68257471

by "idm" you mean aphex twin and boards of canada rite?
>>
>>68257471
> There's like Burial and Mala and the rest of it is remarkably uninteresting. If you just like dry and spacey music that's fine but please stop pretending that it's better than dance music because it's less flashy, it's the same shit

Both are dubstep and both are dance music. The fuck are you on about?
>>
File: EBM interests me.jpg (1MB, 1000x1389px) Image search: [Google]
EBM interests me.jpg
1MB, 1000x1389px
EBM > hardcore techno > "wave" genres > IDM >EDM > minimal techno
>>
>>68257484
The surface level stuff but also just empty and dry IDM. I like it but I don't act like it's necessarily better than bright and poppy music.

>>68257495
EDM. You know what I meant.

And if Burial is "dance music" then everything is dance music. Please stop alluding to everything remotely accessible being pop music, it just makes you look like a dumb neckbeard.
>>
DJ Shadow, The Avalanches, etc
>>
>>68257542
What? Burial is dance music because he literally makes dubstep/garage.

fuck off pard
>>
>>68257545
They're good, nothing remarkable. That's just me though.
>>
THIS IS NOW AN EBM THREAD

CLENCH YOUR KNUCKLES
FLEX YOUR MUSCLES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU0B5odlahM
>>
>>68257471
people here dog on EDM because of how remarkably uncreative a lot of it is. notice I don't say all of it, just a lot. the song structures of almost every EDM song is the exact same, the progressions and even melodies are extremely similar. that's why it's so easy to DJ EDM music because it's basically just different derivatives of the same song.

A huge defense I always see with EDM is the production. "aah but listen to the mixing its so good!! boards of canada doesn't have that!!". when on of your musics only defenses is production than you have a problem, and it shows how formulaic EDM has become. It's gone from actual songwriting to "oh this song has a great TEED bass, listen to that sound design" which is cool and all but should not be the focus of your music.

The other is EDM culture which is just straight up retarded. dance clubs went from being filled with people interested in the music and wanting to dance and have fun and get fucked up to average stupid people barely interested in the music who just want to get black out and listen to sick drops. it's fucking so dumb.

so much of edm music is direct takes from other groundbreaking electronic artists, the large majority of it is unoriginal as fuck. that's why we don't like it here generally. I hear EDM all the time because my roommate makes it, so don't tell me a hur dur I just don't listen. if you're talking dry music Deadmau5 is dry as fuck and repetitive as hell with his generic brand of progressive/electro house. it's not terrible, but it's just incredibly boring most of the time
>>
>>68257524
>minimal techno at the bottom
excuse me
>>
>>68257471
You aren't supposed to listen to the individual tunes like you would EDM. You're supposed to hear them in mixes or in the dance.
>>
>>68257568
The only way to dance to Burial is to shuffle around in a stiff position and stare at your feet, if that's dance music then everything is

We're talking about EDM
>>
>>68257582
do you realize DJ Shadow and the avalanches literally helped set the foundation for electronic music as it is today? I think a lot of people who love edm have just not listened to much of what came before because if they did they'd realize that it's just a dumbed down version of the genre, similar to post grunge (creed, stone temple pilots) with grunge (pearl jam, alice in chains, etc)
>>
>>68257605
Damn right.
Minimal techno's only value is hypnotizing you with repetitive sounds when you're on drugs.
>>
>>68257619
I thought we were talking about how you think dance music outside of EDM and IDM is boring
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEEPXMlqxJ0
>>
File: 1372949533690.gif (1009KB, 345x343px) Image search: [Google]
1372949533690.gif
1009KB, 345x343px
>>68257619
>this is what people with no sense of rhythm actually think
>mfw people who can only dance to it if it has a four-to-the-floor beat
>>
>>68257604
>just a lot. the song structures of almost every EDM song is the exact same, the progressions and even melodies are extremely similar.
Not really. If it's meant to be danced to there's a relatively similar structure, in the same way any other genre is meant to accomplish anything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeaIvjoH1FY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZItRY-14ZBA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCOyrRgef-Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1VLaXoRRdk

Here's just a few songs off the top of my head, the structures are only remotely similar

If it is homogeneous though I fail to see how that doesn't also apply to the non-EDM stuff

>when on of your musics only defenses is production than you have a problem
Not necessarily, it depends on what you're trying to accomplish

>It's gone from actual songwriting to "oh this song has a great TEED bass, listen to that sound design" which is cool and all but should not be the focus of your music.
I have no idea what you mean by songwriting, most dubstep songs new or old have like 3 words

>The other is EDM culture which is just straight up retarded. dance clubs went from being filled with people interested in the music and wanting to dance and have fun and get fucked up to average stupid people barely interested in the music who just want to get black out and listen to sick drops. it's fucking so dumb.
Oh please, it's exactly the same. The only difference I see there is that it's more poppy

>if you're talking dry music Deadmau5 is dry as fuck and repetitive as hell with his generic brand of progressive/electro house. it's not terrible, but it's just incredibly boring most of the time
I don't even necessarily disagree, I'm just saying classic dubstep isn't exempt from that same criticism. It's just as generic most of the time
>>
>>68257619

t. hasn't heard ghost hardware go of in a dance
>>
>>68257647
Not true.
>>
>>68257619
You have never been to a club. You have never been to a dubstep night.
This is why I can forgive you not knowing anything at all about the music and the culture.

btw lambeth is an absolute dancefloor smasher
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI8Gft90-wc
>>
>>68257651
I'm OP, the point I'm trying to make is that dry electronic music isn't better or more interesting than EDM just because it's less flashy. Seemingly most of the time it's remarkably forgettable.

I like dry clacky IDM but I don't pretend it's good or nuanced, I just enjoy it
>>
>>68257619
you know theres places out there where people actually dance to music instead of jumping around and grinding to four to the floor rhythm for hours, right?
>>
>>68257754
"It gives me an excuse to dress like an autistic 1960s abstract painter" doesn't really count as value. You can do it without having to listen to minimal techno.
>>
>>68257647
nah man
I thoroughly enjoy minimal techno and I'm straight edge. One of my favourite genres.
Depends on what your mind resonates with. I can't stand most hardcore, or dubstep/grime.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwYNuEHBxMU

Easy, OP.
>>
>>68257631
Are you retarded?
Do you literally have brain damage?
The Avalanches and Dj Shadow put their debuts out in the late 90s.
That's far too late to say that they have built the foundation of the electronic music and the associated culture.

The people who you are looking for, the people behind all this modern electronic music and indeed almost all modern music are Tubby and Perry.
>>
>>68257777
Alright sure, it's dance music. I'm talking about EDM though

[spoilers]nice quads[/spoilers]
>>
>>68257774
what do you mean by dry electronic music?
>>
>>68257791
What the fuck is going on in your mind for it to resonate with "tshktshktshktshktshk" with no dynamics and no chord progression for seven minutes straight?
Seriously explain me.
Cause it sounds to me like you're just using minimal techno as a substitute to drugs.
>>
>>68257784
>It gives me an excuse to dress like an autistic 1960s abstract painter

What?
>>
>>68257819
It's an /fa/ thing.
>>
>>68257471
Pop-EDM is anything but interesting or nuanced.
>>
>>68257843
OP never claimed otherwise
>>
>>68257811
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=92&v=wR9vHQ7Z4Js
Randomly pulled from /bleep/

Basically just not sugary
>>
Don't mind me, just posting good tunes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O28imld5VRc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-BnB3xxUoA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbQCf8F1JsE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4uUpJRJZ_c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ay6bSDyfOp8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5aulfgmTvY
>>
>>68257867
Why call it "electronic music " rather than "dance music" though?
>>
File: 1823123128.jpg (50KB, 374x500px)
1823123128.jpg
50KB, 374x500px
>>68257471
have you heard of flume? legit god of downtempo/eleectronic, so good he made his own genre
>>
>>68257867
>basically just not sugary
it sounds pretty sugary to me.
It's got that smooth funk sample going through it.
You could really have picked something much drier and more boring.
>>
>>68257730
your defenses honestly aren't well constructed, you didn't even try to back up what you said you just said "no". I don't even want to respond now...
first, the culture is definitely different. that's something you can't deny. when dance music got a broader audience it dumbed itself down and appealed to a stupid party audience, that's why it's called "EDM" not dance music.
theres certain sub genres where the song structures differ, but within those genres there's a very set form almost every song follows.
I've DJed EDM before from my friends extensive EDM library, I barely even listen to the genre and I DJed it just fine. everything is incredibly set in stone. I'll listen to what you sent me, but I've listened to suicide sheep artists and some of those other labels and pretty much have an idea of what I'm going to get. it's a hedonistic genre with little interest in creativity and more of fitting into the norm, so you can play your music at clubs without people noticing a difference etc. I hang around EDM producers and that's always their main concern. that's not how you make interesting music or be creative.
by songwriting I meant doing interesting things with the form of your songs, not words. maybe my wording wasn't totally correct. its rare when you go to an EDM show to hear something differ from the intro, buildup, drop, break, buidup, drop, etc form.
>>
>>68257867
how the fuck do they listen to songs like this for 7 minutes????
>>
>>68257883
No reason, it might be dance music and I'm just hanging out with the wrong crowd
>>
>>68257882
Is there any Scooter in your list?
>>
>>68257885
>so good he made his own genre
no
>>
>>68257799
don't call me retarded you conceited fuck.
what I'm saying is they're definitely a lot more infulential to electronic music as a whole than fucking deadmau5
>>
>>68257910
Not him but I love it. It's that kind of fighting game background music that is really easy to listen to for long periods.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsv7rP6G8s8
>>
>>68257915
it is dance music
>>
Burial arguments aside (fine, he is/isn't EDM, who gives a shit either way), the vast majority of mainstream EDM is as creative and artistic as the vast majority of mainstream country music. Just different tropes.

With the exception of a few tracks like Skrillex's old stuff and maybe a few tracks from Deadmau5 and others (and even those were just barely decent, even for their time), everything is a bland ripoff of a ripoff of a ripoff. Mixing and production quality has improved but all else has stagnated.

Artists like OPN and Arca and Villalobos and even Autechre now combine that kind of pristine synthesized pop-EDM type production with actually good compositions, completely surpassing everything mainstream EDM has to offer. Even contemporary mainstream pop (like Katy Perry and other "artists") with its new EDM tropes is superior to Martin Harris van Buuren type shit.
>>
>>68257921
I only bought We Bring The Noise! desu but nah sorry
>>
>>68257940
>fighting game background music
it's not Big Beat or EBM.
it's chill, sweet house music.
so it's not fighting game background music
>>
>>68257959
>as creative as the vast majority of mainstream country music
what in the fuck are you on about. it's mainstream music, of course it's watered down and uncreative. saying that EDM is as creative as mainstream radio country is basically you saying how dry and uninteresting it is, because it it literally catered to reach as big of an audience as possible
>>
>>68257910
Amphetamine and/or MDMA. Seriously.
>>
>>68257981
>>68257959
nevermind sorry man, I thought you were OP. really jumped the gun, didn't read the rest of your comment
>>
>>68257972
?
Have you just not played many fighting games?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0gz1-x0zZo
>>
Let's be objective for a minute there.

The pinnacle of electronic music is clearly Eurobeat.
>>
Listen to Oxygen by Jean-Michael Jarre
>>
>>68257987
so they take a bunch of drugs and pull up these youtube links to long ass boring songs and just listen???
>>
>>68258003
desu I haven't.
>>
EDM is just boring pop songs with a four to the floor kick and generic drops and a song structure that never changes. simple as that, that's why people here hate it
>>
>>68257981
When you hear the word "EDM", though, what do you think? The term is poisoned and has been for a while. Yes, obviously there is good computer/synth-produced dance music out there, but EDM is almost always associated with mainstream EDM just as when people think "rap music" they won't think Death Grips.
>>
>>68257906
>first, the culture is definitely different. that's something you can't deny. when dance music got a broader audience it dumbed itself down and appealed to a stupid party audience, that's why it's called "EDM" not dance music.
I don't really consider it "dumbed down", no. It's meant to be danced to but that doesn't mean it's not well constructed or lacking in artistic merit.

>that's why it's called "EDM" not dance music
"Electronic Dance Music"

>I barely even listen to the genre and I DJed it just fine. everything is incredibly set in stone. I'll listen to what you sent me, but I've listened to suicide sheep artists and some of those other labels and pretty much have an idea of what I'm going to get. it's a hedonistic genre with little interest in creativity and more of fitting into the norm, so you can play your music at clubs without people noticing a difference etc. I hang around EDM producers and that's always their main concern. that's not how you make interesting music or be creative.
And that doesn't apply to classic dubstep? Where you stand in one spot and adjust dials every 30 seconds or so?

The basis of my argument is that whatever criticisms you have for EDM other electronic music isn't exempt from those criticisms

It could just be not for you, and that's fine. Some people like high-octane things and it might just sound like noise to some people but it's textured and has a lot of personality to others

>intro, buildup, drop, break, buidup, drop, etc form
Well yeah again it's meant to be danced to, there's gotta be some kind of flow in that regard. I still fail to see why that doesn't apply to non-EDM
>>
>>68258041

EDM is just dance music that is mainstream and shit
>>
>>68258008
Yes. I assume they mostly do it with friends around or at clubs or something though. Or maybe not, this is 4chan after all. I'll admit to taking stimulants and listening to dance music alone occasionally (though in lossless format and with good speakers, not shitty Youtube).
>>
>>68258062
I know what EDM stands for you fuck, you can't deny EDM has a different connotation than dance music these days.
music that's meant to be danced to shouldn't be boring and generic. of course it can, that just means your dancing is probably also boring and generic. I think you're confusing music to dance to and music anyone and a fucking toddler could jump around to
>>
>>68257619
>implying dancing is jumping up and down on the spot, with the occasional raised arm
>implying you need 4/4 to jump up and down on the ground
>implying you need 4 quarter notes per bar to dance properly
>>
>>68257935
No, I don't think so.
Maybe your chinstroking shit brand of electronic music, but joel certainly did more for this music than your shitty pseudo indie garbage.
What is unique about DJ Shadow?
The fact that he made a hip hop album using samples? That sure is something special.
What is unique about the Avalanches?
That they made a shitty album autists seem to latch onto for some reason? Yeah, ok.
>>
People get bored easily, especially in a genre which is supposed to be predicated on novelty like electronic music. So they seek things that sound just different enough while wanting to elicit the same feelings as drew them into fanship in the first place. Suck my dick
>>
>>68257730
It's funny, since I know Crave You and Cracks already from hearing them on Pandora-- when I was in middle school. Skrillex was literally the first artist I listened to, and I was a fan of Seven Lions' remixes as well.

Not sure how you can keep listening to this over several years, many of this stuff was released from 5-10 years ago. I stopped listening to EDM like this after a year I found it, and found more interest in other genres, solely because I was more interested in vocal performance that didn't have very similar backgrounds/buildups in each song. From there, my interest branched out, and was supplemented by finding /mu/ long after.

>>68257867
Still can't enjoy progressive house though. I can appreciate how it's used in a public setting, but I can't listen to it privately and enjoy it.
>>
just stop everyone, ok
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBv4kWsi4TE

You are as clueless as always, but that's ok, because I doubt that many of you have ever been to a club
>>
>>68257959
I definitely agree with the premise of that but I don't think it's accurate.

Dubstep-EDM was never about money or popularity, virtually all of the artists were indie artists that made music at home and released it onto the internet for free. They just play it for a club for lots of people because they like making dance music

And Skrillex is a great artist, he's so good he basically spawned his own mini genre because people wanted to follow in his footsteps. His 2010 ~ 2013 music was instant classic. Though he seems to be dedicated to making worse and worse music as time goes on, I don't get Purple Lamborghini

>>68257987
If I need to take a reality altering substance to make the music good I don't think that's a valid argument

I know it servers its purpose but you can make that argument about just about anything
>>
File: jon-Hopkins-Immunity-en.jpg (46KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
jon-Hopkins-Immunity-en.jpg
46KB, 600x600px
Is this the best album that could be considered EDM in some form?

https://youtu.be/QWam1HlKGkI
>>
>>68258114
>music that's meant to be danced to shouldn't be boring and generic
Yeah, this music with the 4x4 thump and skeletal drum patterns over a female voice that repeats for 6 minutes isn't boring and generic, so much more nuanced and interesting than that EDM garbo

You sound about as obnoxious and childish as most of the people that occupy that genre. Thanks for the talk but I don't really feel like wasting any more mental real estate on this
>>
>>68258212
Would be better if it was just a 12'' with Open Eye Signal and Collider
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ts-w7j4LkLc

>>68258231
You literally talking about Collider, lol
>>
File: image.jpg (48KB, 479x720px)
image.jpg
48KB, 479x720px
>>68258135
haven't pulled this one out in awhile, congratulations buddy
if I simplified all music like you just did with shadow and avalanches, the Beatles would just be "some dudes playing guitars"
>>
>>68258173
Skream is better than anything else you've posted (if you're OP) so far, actual decent dubstep
>>
>>68258231
you literally just described EDM music, but cut the length of the song in half
>>
>>68258258
I'm not OP and no Dutch Flowerz is not better than Lambeth
>>
>>68258251
Don't pretend that the overwhelming majority of techno isn't simplistic and uncreative as fuck.

Techno, much like harsh noise and drone doom, is one of those genres of music that are way more fun to play than to listen to.
>>
>>68258251
What is special about them if not their use of samples, which has been going on for a good 20 years then and therefore is not special at all?

>>68258287
You're pretty stupid too.
>>
>>68258277
There's a big difference:
EDM has chord progressions.
So it's technically more complex than techno.
>>
>>68258162
>Not sure how you can keep listening to this over several years
It's inspirational for art and whatnot. I like my IDM but I have a side of me that likes making my brain explode into a ball of fire

Yeah I have gotten kind of bored of just noise but I think it artists like Seven Lions are just great, the music is a self aware entity. I can't imagine what it's like to be that guy for one day.
>>
>>68258278
>Dutch Flowerz is not better than Lambeth
I was assuming OP actually chose a decent song but I guess not. I definitely enjoy Burial more than Skream, but I respect both
>>
>>68258174
>I don't get Purple Lamborghini
I like it because the middle section reminds me a lot of these trap beats with those high pitched kicks that have been catching on in grime lately.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7ij67X0czU

Also Rocks is easily the best MC on in the scene atm.
>>
>>68258277
Yeah that's the idea

I'm sure there's good EDM and good dry underground electronic music but they're about the same levels of generic and "uninspired"
>>
>>68258300
In that case all pop is more technically complex than techno because they have chord progressions and techno songs don't
>>
>>68258287
techno is a huge over arching genre first of all, you're really proving to not know what you're talking about.
have you ever heard of minimalism? I'm not defending all of techno, but there's certainly some that I like. sometimes in stripping things down, you can leave room for more nuance and feel. textures, style, etc. not just a "WOW" multi layered drop after a long ass intro and buildup
>>
>>68258298
it's the way they used their samples you stupid fuck. they made music out of it, and good sounding music, types of music that have not been heard in that exact way before. and that's why it made an impact. you're autistic man I'm sorry
>>
>>68258358
so what?
in what way does this approach to making tunes influence the way music is made today and if you claim it does not, why do people want to spend absurd amounts of money on a 303?
>>
>>68258300
most all music has chord progressions, that isn't anything special. doesn't make it more creative or interesting
>>
I think most people arguing about how complex or boring or whatever club music is/should be/should not be have never been to a club.
>>
>>68258174
I'm not saying dubstep people are sell outs, posers, marketers, or not-artists (though that certainly applies to many of them). I just think they're very uncreative, with the exception of the actual genre originators like Skrillex. Nothing personal against them.

As for why Skrillex's music is now just the poppiest horse shit imaginable, considering he's a huge fan of Aphex Twin I can only imagine even he is no fan of what he's making. I think he just wanted to get into pop and use his genuinely unique production talent to reach a wider audience.

(And all that said, I liked it when I was younger but I'm not much of a fan of his old dubstep work either, though it's better than most of today's pop-EDM and does have really cool noises and song section transitions.)
>>
>>68258395

Depends what kind of club too. I've been to clubs on both sides of the Atlantic and they're very different.
>>
>>68258425
you know which sort of club I am talking about.
>>
>>68258394
It does.
>>
>actual Genre Originators like Skrillex

Fucking lol

>My Name is Skrillex EP is pretty basic but captures the attention of deadmau5
>got some interesting Massive presets off Feed Me/Spor who was also on mau5trap, released Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites, lost them after he moved on so proceeded to make much more technically obvious stuff like Bangarang

How does it feel being so painfully ignorant.
>>
>>68258344
Exactly.
Now re-assert the place of techno in the landscape of popular music, and realize that it's the caveman-banging-on-sticks of electronic music.
>>
>>68258406
>dubstep
why are you still using the fucking word, please stop. is this how sjws feel when they say "triggered"?

>the actual genre originators like Skrillex
please stop talking.
You do not know anything.
The "genre originator" is Coki. This tune is where it all started. This is the tune that created that specific sound you are thinking of when you call something dubstep. This tune is one of the few truly original things you'll hear.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8rtRrwInf0

But someone like you who doesn't actually listen to much music won't understand.
>>
>>68258406
>I just think they're very uncreative
Yeah that's definitely true on some level but I think part of it boils down to what you enjoy and what you're able to take away from it. To your grandma it might just sound like noise but to other people it might sound like it has lots of flow and personality. Likewise it might sound remarkably boring but to other people it just makes sense.
>>
>>68258433

Yeah, like David Guetta/Rhianna/I Took A Pill in Ibiza type shite.

They're dying where I am in the UK, thank fuck. I prefer sticky floors, cheap drinks and genuine variety.
>>
>>68258489
>You do not know anything.
>The "genre originator" is Coki. This tune is where it all started. This is the tune that created that specific sound you are thinking of when you call something dubstep. This tune is one of the few truly original things you'll hear.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8rtRrwInf0
Dubstep was already around before that, unless you're referring to the "bro" style of dubstep.
>>
>>68258516
Yes, I am referring to that exact style.
This style people not remotely interested in electronic call dubstep.
>>
>>68258348
This is true for musical genres that are supposed to communicate feelings. Intimate and subtle feelings.
Not in techno, which is merely supposed to sound pleasant.

Minimalism has no more place in techno. Minimal techno only survived due to extraneous factors such as drug culture and self-absorbed posers. It's not even a viable form of background ambient music since it's completely fallen out of style.
>>
ITT: OP is a fucking retard.
>>
>>68258489
>why are you still using the fucking word, please stop. is this how sjws feel when they say "triggered"?
Fuck off, you know what he means.

>please stop talking. You do not know anything.
Skrillex pioneered the brostep sound.

>This tune is one of the few truly original things you'll hear.
That sounds remarkably lazy and generic. Also nothing like Skrillex.
>>
>>68258515
David Guetta is actually an example of a lazy sellout pop EDM artist

He's the dancefloor equivalent of U2, generic bland washed down music that you feel like people would tell you is really good and cool but hasn't done or accomplished anything interesting
>>
>>68258577
>Skrillex pioneered the brostep sound.
Lol no. Try Coki or Rusko and Caspa.
>>
>>68258628

Who in your opinion are the shining lights of the EDM scene?
>>
>>68258628
>He's the dancefloor equivalent of U2, generic bland washed down music that you feel like people would tell you is really good and cool but hasn't done or accomplished anything interesting
Early U2 was good post-punk tho tbqh
>>
>>68258577

>Skrillex pioneered the brostep sound

He didn't though, unless you only listen to top 40 radio. People like Rusko and Feed Me especially where making that kind of stuff before SMNS was released
>>
>>68258641
Seven Lions is absolutely incredible, it's the kind of thing that makes it hard to enjoy any other music for a while because it's so out there and nothing can hold a candle. It's like when I was into Death Grips and I couldn't enjoy any other music

Adventure Club, Mt Eden and Pegboard Nerds are some good inoffensive ones off the top of my head
>>
>>68258577
>Skrillex pioneered the brostep sound.
See, you don't know anything, stop embarrassing yourself.
Haunted is the definite point of origin, there was nothing like it before.

After Haunted Coki made this tune, a logical progression from Haunted, maybe this is more up to this brostep sound:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlEyR27fvGc

And then came other people who liked it and they made tunes themselves and it kinda spiraled out of control from there, culminating in the Fabriclive 37 mix CD in 2007 which was the first or final nail in coffin as far as the UK was concerned:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrBTR_YO_38
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2WuAPfaapY
Both of those and Spongebob were in 2007, years before Skrillex.

>That sounds remarkably lazy and generic. Also nothing like Skrillex.
It does now, because everything else is built on that one tune.
It might not be the best dubstep tune, but it certainly is the one that had the biggest impact on the music.
>>
>>68258728
no
>>
>>68259640
what point is it that you dislike?
>>
>>68258728
i miss old dubstep
>>
>>68259757
Honestly, that Caspa remix is possibly the worst tune ever made.
I keep forgetting just how terrible it is.
>>
>>68257471
Just thought I might let you guys know that Model 500 released an album called Digital Solutions last year.

And if you don't know who Model 500 is then you don't know true Detroit techno my friend.
>>
Come back to me after you've heard all of the essentials from the entire Kompakt catalog
>>
File: thebadolddays.jpg (9KB, 312x210px)
thebadolddays.jpg
9KB, 312x210px
>>68257471
I never cared for IDM much, I just like the old, genre-ambiguous electronica before raves were replaced with massives and techno, trance, DnB was replaced with EDM and brostep.
>>
we already had this thread
i concluded with "EDM is built to be catchy but never has enough lasting appeal to make it not annoying after 3 listens"
>>
can we agree dub techno is the most patrician form of techno
>>
>>68257910
either as background music while doing something

or you just focus on the subtle changes and patterns which makes it interesting to listen to
>>
File: XOI97d7.jpg (873KB, 5722x3136px) Image search: [Google]
XOI97d7.jpg
873KB, 5722x3136px
>>68257471
>>
>>68257471
Try stuff like Objekt, Paula Temple, Jam City, J G Biberkopf, Moro, SHALT, etc.
Or i mean damn, maybe some Aphex Twin
If you dont like this stuff you just have unambitious taste in music and have settled down
>>
File: how to into bleep.png (2MB, 3536x3296px) Image search: [Google]
how to into bleep.png
2MB, 3536x3296px
>>68260419
i like this one better
>>
itt: idiots who think creativity lies in songwriting exclusively and not in texture

i bet you also think that more complex=better
>>
>>68260580
what
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwmUOJR-GwA
Thread posts: 128
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.