[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I total pleb if I can't get into any genre and just like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: 1474404382992.jpg (161KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1474404382992.jpg
161KB, 1080x1080px
Am I total pleb if I can't get into any genre and just like certain artists?
All my favorite artists make wildly different kinds of music but I like them anyways because they all create very distinct tones/atmospheres with their music. I don't like any particular genre because of this, although I have a slight propensity towards folk and jazz.

Does this make me a pleb? How do I change this?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (41KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
41KB, 480x360px
You're a pleb if you feel like you ""have"" to like a certain artist/genre to fit in.
>>
>>68256501
Me on the right
>>
>>68256594
What if you're borderline autistic though and just end up liking a few artists and listening only to them?
>>
>>68256501
Who is this small man
>>
>>68257323
It's this anon apparently >>68256739
>>
>>68256501
There could be a common link between all of them in some way though. Maybe you look for that thing in your music and whoever achieves that is who you like the most.
>>
>>68257356
All of them have wildly different tones and feelings really, the only common link is that most of them create a very distinct and palpable atmosphere. The only common aspect I can pick out is that it sounds muted/droning often times.
>>
>>68257323
that is edward snowden

cheers,
>>
>>68256501
Same here, OP.
>>
>>68257413
I'm glad it's not just me. I feel so different browsing /mu/ because everyone talks about genres that I just can't relate to.
>>
It's called having post-genre taste, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a moron.
>>
>>68257489
I've been this way all my life. Was I born post-genre?
>>
>>68256501
>get into any genre
Why would you think randomly choosing to like a genre would make you anything other than a trend-hopping pleb? If someone 'likes a genres' then they aren't appreciating music for its message, they're wearing music to make up for a lack of personality.
That's why anyone you know who 'only listens to [genre]' is impossible to have a discussion with. Though, to be fair, a significant amount of people on this board just blindly wear /mu/-core as a pseudo-genre to try to fit in, for whatever reason, and are just as bad if not worse.

You like what you like, you sort of decide what you like. Do what you want, it's fine. Appreciation of music or Art or anything else comes with a certain amount of knowledge on the subject.
>>
>>68257958
I posted about this before and was told that it's because I have lack of knowledge about music theory.
It makes it very hard to find music, too.
>>
>>68257514
Everyone's born "post-genre". Genres in music are primarily just constructs that people used in the post-recording/pre-internet sharing era where obtaining new music required a physical transaction.

For a traditional record store to stock all new forms of music would be logistically/financially impossible, so instead they resort to stocking certain "genres" (music that sounds similar based on someone's arbitrary taste) and then actively seek out new music that fits within that mold to provide to their customers. It is a workaround for getting normal people their new music fix that, in a post-internet era, strictly isn't necessary anymore.

At the risk of further feeding any memes, the actual best authority on this is Grimes:
http://tmagazine.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/10/18/styled-to-a-t-grimes/
(do a control-f for "Neurologically")
>>
>>68257979
Huh, read that part and interestingly enough that's exactly how I feel.
Cool to see. It's just odd that I usually love one artist from a genre and then despise the rest of the genre despite them sounding sort of similar.
>>
>>68257978
>lack of knowledge about music theory
That's a meme, don't worry about it.
Music for musicianship barely exists in contemporary music-making. There's been more a sense of the approach that art-making has ever since the album format came into practice.
It can get kind of complicated, it depends what you want. I work as an Art-maker and so I place a lot of value on concepts and how they are communicated and there are certain ones I give precedence to on top of that. It colours what films I watch, what I make, how I dress; it's all consuming - but it's career relative for me so I'm an extreme case.

You said something about atmosphere, I'm sure there's a specific way of stating what it is that you're into that you haven't figured out how to say yet. Is there a specific atmosphere or maybe a sense of warmth of something? It might be next to impossible to bring it to words, but I know the struggle to find relevant things with such a loose description. It's doable, all the same, with enough determination.

Don't worry about it, anyway, liking things is entirely a case by case thing based on our conditioning and what you personally like is entirely yours.
>>
>>68258055
The true measure of music's value lies in the psychological impact it has on someone - not what the music itself actually sounds like. But since the former is VASTLY more difficult to quantify than the latter, sound quality often gets used as a substitute.
>>
>>68258138
That makes a lot of sense actually, that it's far more about art-creation than musicianship. Interesting.

I try very hard to communicate what the atmosphere might be but I can't find one that encompasses it all. It gives me a sense of warmth, but also a bleak or numb feeling generally. Like you said, it's a struggle to put it into words because they're not really emotions as much as tones and saying "dark" is way too broad and subjective as far as tone goes.
>>
>>68256501
damn, how the hell is he fucking a girl that hot.
>>
>>68258260
>that it's far more about art-creation than musicianship
Yeah, we're in a weird time where there's a clean divide between approaches; vapid entertainment/decor and analytical/conceptual progression, but there's no clear distinction in their classification since the media exist on moth sides. Like, if I tell someone that I do Art I get asked "do you draw or Paint?" it's the same kind of awkwardness when someone asks you what music you like and your answer isn't "[this genre]". Sometimes you have to train an answer for talking to casual people.

As far as the atmosphere thing goes, I want to take one more stab at it. Is it an all-encompassing thing? Like you're , like aural immersion sort of stuff? I listen to Haxan Cloak when I write because of that sort of idea so I thought I'd take a shot.
>>
>>68258415
My trained answer is usually just "I like all sorts of music". It is a strange time for art, but a very good one with the amount of exposure you can get very easily on the internet.

In some cases aural immersion, for sure. Generally it's if something very perfectly captures a moment or feeling. Tom Waits' southern-gospel kind of music, his song "What's he Building In There?" or "Jesus Gonna Be Here". They've got very distinct feelings and atmospheres to them. On a more electronic side, stuff like John Maus with the bizarre, gothic, ecclesiastical sounds mixed with a synth-punk kind of tone. They both create very distinct atmospheres that aren't really replicated with authenticity by any other artist.
>>
>>68258782
Ah, it's like sort of ingenuity deal or something that.. Too hard to say. I got you, sort of, at least as far as how hard it is to pinpoint linguistically. You're definitely not a pleb, anyway, John Maus is probably the most significant mind in music right now.

>but a very good one with the amount of exposure you can get very easily on the internet
I disagree with that, it makes it harder because there's more trash to wade through than ever before. It does create new options for display and new social elements to play with, though, which can be fun.

Good luck anyway, anon.
>>
>>68256501
this makes you the opposite of a pleb. people who can only into one genre are gay
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.