[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I give bass a shot? It looks fun and I'd like to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: bitchcunt.jpg (48KB, 484x329px) Image search: [Google]
bitchcunt.jpg
48KB, 484x329px
Should I give bass a shot? It looks fun and I'd like to play in a band and everyone seems to play guitar (what I play) so I think it would be easier to do with a bass.

Pros and cons or advice?
>>
>>68243395
Getting into the bass because you think it will be easier than the guitar is the wrong mindset and it's why bassists have a reputation for being kind of shitty. Approach it like you would any other instrument and you'll be great
>>
>>68243507
You need to read OP's post again and understand the message.

> the point wasn't that the instrument itself was easy, it was that finding a band who needs a bassist might be easier
>>
>>68243557
Yeah I get that but I was just giving advice about it in general. It's just a mindset that a lot of people who pick up the bass have
>>
>>68243507
Where does that mindset come from anyway? Playing the guitar is pretty easy cuz I do chord shapes well and strum patterns come naturally. I suck at fingerpicking and going up and down the fretboard quickly so I feel like bass would be hard for me.
>>
>>68243395
You should only play bass if you plan on mastering YES Roundabout
>>
Yes, you should, it's pretty fun
T. Bassist
>>
>>68243507
Kek I want to get into bass because it looks FUN, I like playing guitar because its FUN. Do you play bass and if so do you recommend it? That's all I want to know.
>>
>>68243665
What are some things I should know about it? Just explain it like I'm an idiot because I've got no idea how similar bass is to guitar.
>>
Play keyboards. Everybody wants a keyboard because of the versatility but everyone picks up guitar because it looks more cool.
>>
>>68243893
But I don't like keyboard, it just doesn't look that fun to me. Fun > getting into a band for me right now.
>>
>>68243616
Most bass lines in rock are pretty simple. Also your standards for guitar playing are pretty low lol. Like v few bands are just about strumming open or barre chords in rhythm. All that going up and down the neck is p common. I'm not saying boring bass playing is good tho. OP u should only play bass if you really want to do what's right for the music.
>>
>>68243873
Just make sure that you develop a good sense of time and groove. Locking in with the drums, staying in the pocket and "feel" is what it's all about.
>>
>>68243994
I meant that as in it's easy to play, not necessarily play in a band setting. And rhythm guitar is a thing.
>>
>>68243994
OP here, I want to do it because it seems to be pretty fun, more about fun than band, but band is part of the reason. Can you give me any advice i.e. the point of this thread?
>>
>>68243873
Also, you should consider starting out with a simple single coil pickup design akin to a P-Bass before you start getting in to active pickups and all that.
>>
>>68244079
I'm not sure how much fun you can have playing the bass alone and trying to do anything with that.
>>
Definitely get into bass, I'm having more fun with basslines and grooves and all that. Highly recommended to get yourself familiar with some jazz standards, even though it's not your aim with music. I play in a metal-ish band and I benefit from my minimalistic jazz studies. I move around the neck more bravely for one. Learn your fingerboard, scales, chord tones, learn walking bassline, and you are set. And don't get lost in the world of repetitive practice, set up or get a nice backing tack to practice, it's way more musical and it works for me. And have fun.
>>
>>68244311
That's too much work. Everyone knows anything too hard is not worth doing. If you wanna learn the bass you learn from the masters Geezer Butler
>>
>>68244311
Thanks m8
>>
if you can't play guitar you can't play bass

people who jump into bass first don't have the drive to actually be good, they're just lazy people with no self esteem
>>
>>68244378
Knowing about scales and chords is any instrument basic. It's like learning the alphabet. How else would you play? Copy the rhythm guitar's root notes? That's not fun, let alone creative.
>>
>>68244506
It's definitely easier because you don't have to learn chords
>>
>>68244124
I wouldn't play it just by itself. I would probably play with backing tracks or with my friend who plays guitar. Do you play bass and if so is it fun?
>>
Pros:
Easy as fuck to learn
So easy you can usually do it + vocals or another instrument at the same time
Everyone needs a bass player so you'll have an easy time finding bands to join and won't have to worry about getting replaced as much

cons
Nobody will notice you
Everyone who does will know whether you're a real bass player or you're just a guitar player who's not good enough to play lead (a poser)
Unless you also write songs, you're not really as important to the band as you think you are
>>
>>68244602
Oh boy you do.
>>
>>68244578

don't lots of bands just kind of play a few power chords and then fuck around until they produce something that sounds like what they hear in their head? I know a lot of popular bands have success with this method
>>
>>68244824
Okay, that's one method, it works obviously. We wrote a song skeleton just like this today with my band. But knowing basic scales, and chord sequences for example the "famous" II-V-I in any key effortlessly helps quite a bit.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.