[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Any music majors here? I'm starting college next semester,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: 1474507569471.jpg (1MB, 4522x1130px) Image search: [Google]
1474507569471.jpg
1MB, 4522x1130px
Any music majors here?
I'm starting college next semester, I decided to take a break when I got out of college.
If you majored in music, what are you doing with your degree?
I can play 4 or 5 instruments, and really want to pursue music. Not sure what to do once I go to uni for it though.
>>
I'd major in music but I live in the good ol US of A and want a job when I graduate to pay the jews back so I'm doing compsci instead. I might take a few classes on composition though.

You could try to become a session musician or audio engineer I would bet.
>>
>>68242194
I was thinking of studying music at uni but decided against it (UK for relevance).
I looked into it but found most places fell into two categories
1." Rockschool" type berklee rip offs that focus on modern music but will basically accept any tennager that plays guitar and can pay tution.

2. Conservertoirs that focus on classical/ jazz that wont accept unless your above grade 7 in two instruments and practice for 4 hours a day.

As i didnt really want to do either of those and i also want a job i chose against it. Just graduated with a degree in physics but still no idea what to do with it.
Actual success in the music industry does not depend on qualifications but talent and networking (probably weighted on the latter).
>>
>>68242713
This guy understands.
>>
>>68242713
10% talent
90% hard work (40% of that hard work goes to networking)
>>
Don't be a fucking performance major. You can double major in performance and something else, but please do something useful. Study music production or education or business
>>
>>68243148
I'm a music production major but the skills I'm learning are applicable to basically anything audio related, which means there are a lot of things I can do with my degree once I graduate
>>
>>68242194
Good god, please don't major in music if you don't want to be homeless when you leave college. Even majoring in audio engineering or whatever is a horrible idea. Get a degree that'll actually get you a job to have as a backup, pursue music while you study, and if you still want to do it when you graduate you can go for it knowing you have a solid backup plan.
>>
>>68243175
Did you start learning this stuff before entering uni or started almost from 0?
>>
>>68243231
You have to be retarded to want to persue an art related career but to have a stupid little "backup plan". If you want success in music, film, etc, you have to dedicate yourself to it 100%, not in a shy, doubtful, backup plan, kind of way. If not, you will be left behind by all the young talented people that are more motivated and hard working than you.
>>
>>68243375
Yeah and if you don't have the talent to make it you just wasted $100k on a worthless degree and you're working at starbucks. Follow your passion but be practical is all I'm saying.
>>
Studying music is a waste, I've taken 4 music classes so far and they're not enjoyable at all. They try and make music black and white, they reward mindless answers and any creativity is looked down upon. Total waste of time and money, would not recommend. Plus all the teachers are douchey classical snobs that believe all other music is worthless garbage. 0/10 never again
>>
Only reason I finished my music degree is because I had an ONE amazing instructor out of the 6 you're required to have. He is the only reason I stuck with it. The others are literal dogshit, but this ONE instructor was so fucking good, I could not afford to miss the opportunity to study under him. He retired right after our class graduated, so I lucked out.

I'm not doing financial crap with my music degree, but I now appreciate and understand music on an entirely different level. I can read, write, analyze, all that stuff. Trying not to sound pretentious, but I can tell when music is dogshit. Most /mu/'s taste is dogshit made for the money.

Composing your own songs is more rewarding than drugs.

If you want to get the most out of your collegiate study, find an AMAZING professor. You should be able to tell right away. They're on a completely different level than most other teachers who don't give a shit. And find a few fellow musicians to trade ideas with, and keep in touch with them if you want to form some sort of ensemble.

Couple more things, don't limit yourself to one instrument, and don't neglect your theory in favor of practice. GL m8
>>
File: hd1.jpg (74KB, 610x406px) Image search: [Google]
hd1.jpg
74KB, 610x406px
nearly finished tonmeister student here, studied classical guitar before that and did piano for nearly half of my 10 tonmeister semesters
I'm freelancing mainly for state owned broadcast music production and OB
>>
6 of my high school friends went to a top-tier college for music majors.
5 are now high school band teachers, one is in production.
They're also making peanuts aside from the producer, who's loans are already paid off and he's been out of college for 4 years.
>>
If you're going to major in music, at least go to a good school dedicated to music. If you're studying music at an average state school you're just wasting time and money.
>>
getting a music degree is SUICIDE
>>
>>68243148
Education is good, make sure you master your theory so you can choose to teach little runts or grown adults.
>>68243231
Correct, you don't study music for the money.
>>68243375
Correct.
>>68243396
Correct. Music can be learned for free if you're resourseful. Expensive colleges are mostly a scam, though I'm sure you can afford some lectures and lessons at a nice community college.
>>68243476
>Only four classes.
Most of the times, the teachers are douchey and do suck...but they are 100% right on their judgement that most other music is worthless garbage.
>>68243595
More importantly like another said, find a good teacher. Sometimes there are gems inside of average schools. A good music school will increase the chances of finding good teachers, but is usually quite pricey.
>>68243608
t. dad
>>
>>68243095
70% luck
>>
if youre getting into music for money or fame you are the reason music today sucks balls
>>
>>68242229
>session musician
my uncle does this but he has to work another job still
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.