[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

wad happened to actual good bands being mainstream, or at least

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: Post.jpg (311KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Post.jpg
311KB, 1000x1000px
wad happened to actual good bands being mainstream, or at least very popular? The Cure, The Smiths, Radiohead, Slowdive, Portishead, Massive Attack, Björk off the top of my head were all mainstream and good. They were featured in movies, played on the radio etc. So wad happen
>>
>>68216164
they got shit
>>
>>68216164
>Slowdive
>mainstream
>>
>>68216200
a lot of shoegaze bands were quite popular. MBV billboard was featured in Final Fantasy
>>
>>68216164
>it's a thinly-veiled Bjork circlejerk thread
go away

Also
>Radiohead
>Bjork
>Portishead
>Massive Attack
>good
>>
>>68216164
>http://www.strawpoll.me/11356067
>>
>>68216227
they are good dumb bitch
>>
>>68216207
Yeah but Slowdive were far and away the least popular out of the main shoegaze bands. None of their singles or albums hit the Top 40.
>>
File: 1474435994776.jpg (26KB, 500x376px) Image search: [Google]
1474435994776.jpg
26KB, 500x376px
>>
>>68216164
if /mu/ existed back then, the general consensus would be that those are mostly shit

if /mu/ still exists in 10 years or so we'll be praising things like arctic monkeys, muse, idk other shit like that
>>
>>68216200
Some tracks from souvlaki are still sometimes listed in the normie playlists in spotifys home-page
>>
>>68216164
There was always a certain amount of quality mixed into the shit in every medium until recently here in the Western world. With the advent of the internet, a lot of the TV audience was lost since there were more options at better convenience through the internet than through TV. This lead to the TV stations that had long been in control of the popularity of certain media (such as music via MTV) to shift to a more profitable type of programming (reality shows). With the more and more of the people actually interested in it going and finding things on their own, the major channels that used to cater to them either died or simply stop catering for them.
Fast forward, we have the radio, that plays the same 10-20 song as paid for my the record labels, and Spotify - service where people listen to music they already know and never hear anything new (and in the case that they hear something new, it's from a selection tailored by Spotify). And suddenly a massive divide erupts between the casual audience and actual enthusiasts.

Film has it much worse, though. How many good films have been made in the West this decade as opposed to those previous? And how many have been given any credit?
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.