[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

And that, my friends, is why professional music journalism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: Christgau.png (285KB, 1037x357px) Image search: [Google]
Christgau.png
285KB, 1037x357px
And that, my friends, is why professional music journalism is an oxymoron.
>>
>>68194073
the idea of criticism has ruined art, prove me wrong
>>
>>68194073

I agree with him.
>>
me in the middle
>>
>>68194107

No criticism is good aslong as you still make up your own decisions and don't relate on a strangers opinion just because he has a website/youtube channel.
>>
>>68194107
On the contrary. The thought that anything could be anything, identities or art, has ruined everything. But, it is only a symptom.
>>
>>68194073
>and this, my friends, is why I can't handle opinions

did you even listen to it or are you just being a fucking faggot

fuck nick cave btw
>>
>>68194073
Whoever wrote the Backstreet Boys songs was a pop songwriting genius. Sure they were just a manufactured band of attractive men with decent singing voices, but the songs were genuinely well-written and still hold up today...
>>
File: what.jpg (40KB, 1606x59px) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
40KB, 1606x59px
>>68194073
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>68194148
I mean, yeah, some of Christgau's longer columns about music history are kind of interesting even though there's no way he'll ever convince me that Bruce Springsteen is better than RHCP.
>>
>>68194107
Nah, only the commercial idea of criticism, reducing an album to a grade.
>>
>>68194073
he's barely a critic, he's just an ideologue
>>
>>68194376
Lester Bangs at least wrote a whole essay on whatever album he was reviewing.
>>
>>68194221
kek
>>
Is there anybody on the planet with worse taste in music than Robert Cristgau?
>>
>>68194475
Other than disliking meal (which anyone over 14 should) his music tastes aren't so far from /mu/'s.
>>
>>68194251
>he'll ever convince me that Bruce Springsteen is better than RHCP

nice one
>>
>>68194585
Springsteen in all seriousness isn't that good.

>needing the best backing band in the world to make his _extremely_ limited voice and guitar sound remotely decent
>>
>yfw hipster faggots like Bangs and Xgau claimed that only the Stooges and Ramones are real rock-and-roll near me
>>
>>68194202
Some 40 year old Jewish guy who works for Viacom (most likely).
>>
>>68194221
great review senpai
>>
>>68194107
I don't think it has ruined anything, but I believe it has made art more prone to stagnation. When critics spread their subjective opinions as truth, art becomes standardized based on what appeals to them. This is caused by Pitchfork, Rolling Stone, and every other music site. Originality is increasingly uncommon in art nowadays and one of the main reasons is that critics think they're setting standards for quality when in reality they're limiting creativity as a whole.
>>
>>68194607
And RHCP are in all seriousness, good?
>>
>>68194107
>the idea of criticism has ruined art
Art is often criticism itself, and its made for an audience and requires their response to function. So, no, it sort of depends on it entirely.
Music is the same, as is every pursuit involving an audience.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.