[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people call the planet Equestria is in "Equus"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 6

Why do people call the planet Equestria is in "Equus" and other names when the show has clearly showed us that the planet's name is Earth?
>>
Stupid fucking Glimposter
>>
why do we call earth terra?
>>
>>30955472
>Pinkie Pie: I got a newsflash for you, Cookie. The Earth is round. There is no up or down.
http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/Transcripts/Hearth%27s_Warming_Eve

>Twilight Sparkle: What on Earth is that pony doing?
http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/Transcripts/Applebuck_Season

>Princess Celestia: Of course not, my little pony. Where on Earth would you get such an idea?
http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/Transcripts/A_Bird_in_the_Hoof

>Twilight Sparkle: Applejack, I need you to bring those high-strung storm clouds down to Earth.
http://mlp.wikia.com/wiki/Transcripts/The_Return_of_Harmony_Part_1
>>
>>30955488
Why do we call Earth a shithole?
>>
>>30955547
>All of the examples are figures of speech or a gag
The writers didn't bother adapting them to fit the show.
>>
>>30955579
And? It doesn't change the fact that Equestria is in planet Earth, silly.
>>
File: masturboop.jpg (81KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
masturboop.jpg
81KB, 600x600px
>>30955579
>denial
Sorry, sweetie
Looks like your headcanon will never work out
>>
>>30955586
Figures of speech are poor evidence as to the name of the planet Equestria resides on.

>>30955591
>Vanilla boop
I'm gonna need a stronger boop before I even consider your position that my headcanon isn't canon.
>>
>>30955604
Why is it poor evidence? I mean, what else would be round when looking over a map?
>>
>>30955549
because you're an edgy faggot?
>>
>>30955466
Dumb Glimmerposter.
>>
>>30955466
Because it sounds cooler and is thematically appropriate, you hopeless shiteating cock-inhaling fart sniffing loser.
>>
>>30955604
>Figures of speech are poor evidence as to the name of the planet Equestria resides on.
this you know how many time i heard ponies say out of hand when it should have been out of hoof witch has been said before the writers just forget
>>
>>30956723
Or, you know, that's what the planet is called. I mean I can understand those out of hand comments but when Pinkie said the Earth is round when talking about a map you know she's referring to the planet.
I don't know why even deny
>>
>>30957227
Because it's a show for little girls that has no written pre-established lore and there's over 20 different writers that don't even discuss between each other to set this kind of shit right

TLDR stop being autistic about it, you're literally wasting your time because they could give it ANOTHER name next episode for all you know
>>
>>30957267
Um except they haven't done that exactly sweetie.
So unless they change the name it's fair game to call Equestria a country on planet Earth and going against that is very uncanon.
>>
File: cuckposter, this is your mindset.png (177KB, 2320x960px) Image search: [Google]
cuckposter, this is your mindset.png
177KB, 2320x960px
>>30957279
Aussies shouldn't be allowed to post
>>
>>30955604
>>30956723
where would the figure of speech have come from if there was no earth, dingleberry?
>>
>>30955547
All of those are figures of speech. "Earth is round" is a reference to "flat-earthers", or uneducated people. Puddinghead was trying to imply that she was smart.
>>
>>30957966
u wot m8
You know it's called flat-EARTHERS because it's people that believe planet Earth is flat, familad. It's a pretty clear indicator that she's referring to the planet.
>>
>>30955466
Same reason people continue to insist that Equestria is in the equivalent of the medieval age when it never was, it sounds more high fantasy-ish.

What sounds cooler from a fantasy perspective, Earth or Equus? It's literally why some fictions will call Earth Terra or some other obscure name.
>>
>>30957966

how can someone be this retarded?
>>
File: 85d.png (278KB, 400x426px) Image search: [Google]
85d.png
278KB, 400x426px
>Old English eorþe "ground, soil, dirt, dry land; country, district,"

It's a generic word for ground. Earth, as in the planet, came later.

If you really want, you can headcanon that ponies gave their planet a more creative name with Earth being a second, synonymous generic name. For instance, our moon is simply moon. You might be asking what the difference is, besides the second name. This next part might help you grasp the distinction.

In practice, this means if ponies were to become a starfaring race, they would call any planet they're currently residing on Earth. So Earth as in, "a planet which we're currently residing on and/or its soil." Even if said planet rains glass and has great, boiling seas.

Whereas humans might use it to refer to any planet's soil, but there would still only be one planet called Earth. We don't have a back-up name, and so we can't loan it out as frivolously.
>>
>>30958135
Why is it so hard for you lot to accept that Equestria resides on planet Earth?
I already linked to an example where Pinkie, playing a character, refers to the planet as Earth when looking over a map.
Of course there's also the figure of speech used by both Celestia and Twilight. You can jam all you want about figure of speech but where did they get the word Earth from? It's supported earlier by what Ponk said.
>>
>>30958162
Don't conflate people's viewpoints and arguments. I'm sick of the typical Anon's tendency to do this. So instead of spoonfeeding you, I'll ask you to reread the post and see how it's worded.
>>
>>30958172
This thread is about GLIMMER. Stop derailing it now, matey!
>>
>>30958172
You guys are literally trying to out-autist each other.
>>
>>30955579
Most of them yeah but earth is round clearly refers to the planet.
>>
>>30955547

Same way that Ponies interchangeably use "everybody" and "everypony". Just a lack on imagination on some writer's parts.
>>
Why are Glimmerfags so intent on destroying this show's lore?
>>
>>30958472
>Destroy the show's lore
>It's been proven via the show
Jesus, do you listen to yourself? It's also pre-s3 piece of lore so you faggots who say anything past that isn't canon got outplayed.
>>
>30958479
Don't ever reply to me again, parasite
>>
>>30955466
Maybe the planet of the ponies Also is calle Earth, I do not want that my favorite donkeys of coulors live in this Fucking planet of shit
>>
>>30958162
You can say that for every word they speak. The only sensible conclusions are

>We're getting a "translation"
>England exists in their world
>>
File: vlcsnap-2017-09-17-17h43m45s987.png (1MB, 1920x1090px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2017-09-17-17h43m45s987.png
1MB, 1920x1090px
>>30958507
>Getting a translation
I dunno about that, their written words seem to flick back and forth between english, pictographs and some kind of runic script as seen in pic related.
>>
>>30955466
Just a bit of people know where is localizated the islands of Equestria on Canadá from referency mode, are almost the same from mlp
>>
>>30955472
>>
>>30957966
>posting a point that goes against your own argument
Dumb Equus poster.
>>
Equestria had the same constellations as us, so either they are very close to earth or they are on earth in a parallel timeline.
>>
>>30959959
Earth is obviously cannon. Too many references and dialogue in the show to argue otherwise. Get over your autistic fantasy.
>>
>>30955466
EQG clearly proves the planet is Earth
>>
>>30961013
What does a different dimension in a non-canon spin off have to do with that?
>>
>>30961088
>non-canon
That's where you're wrong, Sweetie
>>
>>30958522
That would be in favor of them not speaking English. Really slipshod translators though.
>>
>>30961007
You may have autism, or bad reading comprehension, if you react this way to someone suggesting they are on Earth.
>>
>>30961013
Except Ishi Rudell said it's not Earth lmao
>>
>>30955488
Why do we call the sun sol?
>>
>>30958522
Does this mean that equestrians doesn't speak english?
>>
>>30962489
Why do we call the worst pony Luna?
>>
The sun and moon raising would make more sense if the pony world was flat.
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.