[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have you guys felt like that a good portion of the characters

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: 999999999999999999986896.png (66KB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
999999999999999999986896.png
66KB, 300x169px
Have you guys felt like that a good portion of the characters on this show don't really feel like characters? Rather just archetypes meant to fulfill the plot of an episode.

Take It Aint Breezie as an example, fluttershy just acts like her archetype and doesn't show anything to make her character unique or interesting. Or Twilight's Kingdom, the plot just happens and Twilight is left to foward it. Nothing unique about her there either.

I am talking moments like when Big Mac grabs the doll at the end of Lesson Zero, or when Scootaloo says she looks sad when she is in photos, or when the CMC talk about their favorite music, or Glimmers love for kites. Moments that don't really have much to do with the plot itself, but build the characters up, things that make them feel like real people as opposed to archetypes. Side characters in MLP oddly have a lot of these moments, Big Mac, the CMC, and even Glimmer have moments like these and its part of the reason why these characters work so well as characters.

The mane 6 however, really don't. Despite having the most episodes in the series out of any group of characters, I can only think of a single moment like this, the one where Twilight is afraid of quesadillas. I am not sure why the writers don't do this with the mane 6, they could really use some fleshing out of their characters beyond their default archetype.
>>
File: rad memer.jpg (102KB, 533x689px) Image search: [Google]
rad memer.jpg
102KB, 533x689px
>OP posts the same retarded thread every day
>every day someone bites and replies, pointing out why he's full of shit and why it's blatantly obvious that OP has never watched the show
>OP keeps posting the same retarded thread every day
Ebin.
>>
>>30940287
Do you just post this to anyone you don't agree with?
>>
>>30940309
(You) have been posting the same thread for THREE months.
http://arch.b4k.co/mlp/thread/30394383/
Kill yourself at once, fucking retard.
>>
>>30940343
It can't be that more than one person noticed this same problem?
>>
>>30940248
They turned into literal brainless ironic retards since season 2 started.

Back in season 1 they actually had a brain to judge with. Their comments and manner of speech were also much more intelligent.
>>
>>30940442
Even in season 1, I can't think of moments where the mane 6 interact about something that reveals new facets of their characters/like/interests and isn't relevant to the plot. It always seems like plot progression is more important than their characters with the mane 6.
>>
>>30940425
Nope.
>>
>>30940837
>>30940343
>what faustdrones actually believe
>>
>>30940248
I don't think those are that great of examples. I'd say Honest Apple is more to what you're saying. It's a generic sitcom episode where you could replace any character with an honest archetype for Applejack with someone interesting in fashion for Rarity.

What I think happens more often is that the writers only look at the characters without thinking of how the world affects them. Flurry of Emotions was full of contrived actions due to not thinking about how the world works. There was a big toy store added to ponyville without any actual thought put into it. Twilight went to the school for a book with a weak explanation. The art gallery is a good idea on its own but it adds to the idea of manipulating Ponyville for the episode rather than manipulating the episode around Ponyville. Forever Filly added an icecream place with an exaggerated real world portion size joke that takes you out of the world in two ways. Sweetie Belle's into expiremental theater. Hard to Say Anything gave us a straight up Justin Beiber character complete with a song to go with it. Not Asking for Trouble didn't make me believe that the Yaks could actually be a functioning society. I don't even have to explain how Fame and Misfortune breaks character immersion.

The characters feel like non characters because they don't actually feel believable in the world we were originally presented with.
>>
>>30941599
>Hard to Say Anything gave us a straight up Justin Beiber character complete with a song to go with it.
I can buy this one more than the others. MLP already has a lot of wacky and bizarre celebrities (just look at all of rarara's fashion designers) and suddenly a justin bieber wanna be doesn't seem that weird. The show has a weird al pony and several lady gaga wannabes.

>Forever Filly added an icecream place with an exaggerated real world portion size joke that takes you out of the world in two ways. Sweetie Belle's into expiremental theater

Not sure if I understand what you mean by this.
>>
>>30941628
I just mean the writer is lazily putting in an Icecream place when Sugarcube Corner exists. It just shows a lack of imagination. I'm not saying the scene should have taken place in Sugarcube Corner, it could have been something entirely different. The concept of Expiremental Theater is just kind of silly and modern. It's clear the writer just thought of something a hipster teenager would say rather than thinking about what Sweetie Belle would actually like in the context of the fantasy world.

Feather Bangs isn't actually that bad, it's just that we're at the point where there's no fantasy left to grasp onto so all the little things add up. I was annoyed by the pretty innocent tea shop in Discordant Harmony just because of the sheer amount of buildings already added to Ponyville in previous s7 eipsodes.
>>
>>30941652
>It's clear the writer just thought of something a hipster teenager would say rather than thinking about what Sweetie Belle would actually like in the context of the fantasy world.

Actually, this is something I would believe SB would like. She is obviously interested in theater given For Whom the Sweetie Belle Toils, IE, the episode that has her lead her own play and gets upset over rarara "ruining" it for her, so she is clearly passionate about it. Experimental theater has also been around since the 1800s.

>I was annoyed by the pretty innocent tea shop in Discordant Harmony just because of the sheer amount of buildings already added to Ponyville in previous s7 eipsodes.

I could see this as a sign that Ponyville is expanding, it is home to a princess now and that would make it an attractive place for people to move to given how royalty is treated in this show.
>>
>>30940442
>season 1
>good
no
>>
>>30942319
*takes out the belt*
*whips the living shit out of his dumb arrogant kid*
Say that again, son. I dare you.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.