[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is Applejack still in the show? She is easily the most boring

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 9

File: 4321111111111111111112343221.jpg (99KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
4321111111111111111112343221.jpg
99KB, 1280x720px
Why is Applejack still in the show? She is easily the most boring of the mane 6 and far and away the least interesting of the apple family. The apple family dynamic is actually really interesting if you ignore Applejack, each character has their own unique personality and weaknesses, except for applejack.

Apple Bloom is the kind hearted child and while her head is often in the right place, she is often overly excitable and impulsive, and this can get her and her family into trouble.

Big Mac is the reserved farmer who cares about his family, but has trouble expressing his feelings about this to both his family and friends.

Granny Smith is the clear leader of the farm, being able to organize and manage the farm as a buisness, but is extremely stubborn and traditionalistic.

The dynamic between these three characters is interesting and has the potential to create a lot of interesting episodes (there is a reason AJs best episodes involve her family). The problem with Applejack is that unlike these three characters, she doesn't have a clear personality or clear flaws that mesh well with the rest of her family.

AJ's personality and weaknesses seem to change from episode to episode, one episode she is stubborn, the next she is a traditionalist, the next she does something impulsive, and then there is the even more obnoxious "regress AJ into an idiot" trope where the plot could be solved instantly by either an obvious solution or just by listening to her family/friends. AJ takes away from the interesting dynamic that is the apple family due to this inconsistency and is really the worst main character on the show.
>>
AHAHA SALT
>>
File: DIyBfJFXoAQ_MWy.jpg (38KB, 680x453px) Image search: [Google]
DIyBfJFXoAQ_MWy.jpg
38KB, 680x453px
Because she is sexy as fuck
>>
File: best episode.png (842KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
best episode.png
842KB, 1000x563px
>>30875346
I sincerely cannot tell if you're making this same thread over and over again for shitposting reasons or if you legitimately just have that bad of taste.
>>
>>30875376
>same thread over and over
But I didn't?

>legitimately just have that bad of taste.
I don't see what seperates applejack's personality from the rest of her family. She just seems like an inconsistent amalgam of her families personality depending on what the episode needs.
>>
>>30875386
She is motherly, overprotective, traditional and she is like she says herself, too eager to please. She also overthinks the simplest things like in Apple Family reunion and Applejack's day off. Applejack can also be quite skeptical about most things and tends to be the first, with Rainbow Dash to confront or question.
>>
>>30875386
>implying these aren't all you
>>30874743
>>30873921
>>30874938
One day the same shitpost gets four separate threads? Maybe if it was glimmer or nyx or jim I could believe it was multiple people, but this is just too obvious.
>>
>>30875371
This. Her ass is what keeps me invested in her episodes.
>>
File: 595612.gif (3MB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
595612.gif
3MB, 854x480px
>>30875429
HIPS
FOR
DAYS
>>
>>30875414
Maybe, just maybe, people are realizing that the reason her episodes are so bad is because she is a bad character?

>>30875413
The problem is, they only show most of these traits in a single episode, it is never consistent with the sole exception of AJ being overprotective and even then, they have flanderized that trait to such an extent that she is obnoxious in two of the three episodes she shows that trait (Somepony to Watch and Carts Before the Ponies).
>>
File: le ebin shitposting maymay.png (366KB, 736x985px) Image search: [Google]
le ebin shitposting maymay.png
366KB, 736x985px
>>30875451
Nah, anybody who's been around here long enough would know that you never get that many people changing their minds about something at once unless they're samefagging or shitposting.
>>
>>30875414
I would make and have made threads like these, but Applefags are so deep in denial and always just deflect to her looks that it doesn't matter.
>>
>>30875465
I've seen a lot of people change their mind about Glimmer after she started getting good episodes. The same is happening for AJ and her shit episodes.
>>
>>30875472
People have been calling Applejack a background pony and bad character for years, literally. Why would I, an Applefag, care to bring up the same discussions and points I made 5 years ago.

This is why this board is so slow. It's the same topic over and over.
>>
>>30875498
No. Its because rather than discuss the show, people would rather spend time in generals.
>>
>>30875504
Generals are basically made because of topics being made over and over.
>>
>>30875528
Everything said in the OP is true though
>>
>>30875562
>She is easily the most boring of the mane 6
>the worst main character on the show.
>true
>>
>>30875498
And the fact that she still hasn't got better should tell you something. She sucks. Get better taste in pone.
>>
>>30875576
I can't think of a less interesting main character outside of maybe fluttershy, and even then, fluttershy at least is growing as a character.
>>
>>30875576
It is though. She's always 100% predictable in her reactions, and if not, it's because she's ooc. They flipflop around on her role of straight man and idiot ball all the time and refuse to give her any hobbies, significant character growth or interesting quirks that could make for a more interesting character.
>>
>>30875608
To be honest, I can't think of that many characters who were given hobbies outside of their main trait (IE, like RD liking to fly, Twi liking to read/magic, AJ farming, etc.)

Only ones I can think of are the CMC getting hobbies in Twilight Time and On Your Marks and Glimmer liking to fly kites. Coincidentally, they are also the four best written characters on the show.
>>
Even Spike has had better episodes than Applejack lately.
>>
>>30875653
Rd at least now has her Daring Do books, Twilight does science, I don't know if you can count spa trips as hobby, but at least it's something different than fashion for Rarity (incidentally, why the FUCK have they abandoned her and Fluttershy's spa trips for fucking Applejack), Fluttershy...I guess singing? And Pinkie is so unpredictable it could be anything.
Applejack USED to have a competitive streak with the running of the leaves and some rodeo stuff, but that's seemingly completely irrelevant. I mean damn, if they have to do the hoofball episode, they could have used her there. Get her out of her fucking comfort zone, fuck.
>>
>>30875608

>They flipflop around on her role of straight man and idiot ball all the time

You've just described practically the entirety of the main (and in some cases supporting) cast.

As for hobbies, AJ is one of the only characters with a full-time job, working sunup to sundown. Doesn't leave much time for hobbies. And that time she does have she spends mostly with family and friends, not on her own doing her own thing. And given what we've seen in, for example, Bats!, she seems to use farming as a hobby in and of itself outside of just her chores. She enjoys what she does and doesn't need much else outside of it because it's what she loves doing the most anyway.

As for significant character growth, sure, it's hard from a story perspective to grow a character who already has reached the place they want to be in their life. But as for character, just compare Applejack from Applebuck Season, who couldn't even ask her closest friends for help, to Applejack from Viva Las Pegasus, who, although reluctantly, was able to ask possibly her greatest rivals for help. This is definitely significant character growth.

Also congratulations on the successful shitposting, (You)'ve managed to get more out of me than I typically respond with.

As for getting out of her comfort zone, >>30875685
I think her friendship with Rarity in general shows that well enough.
>>
>>30875429
they all have the same ass, they're the same model
>>
>>30875711
>Also congratulations on the successful shitposting
It's called an opinion. It's a thing people have.
>just compare Applejack from Applebuck Season to Applejack from Viva Las Pegasus
I do, and the only thing that's changed is that she asks for help specifically because Applebuck Season happened. In 7 seasons, it's the one episode who's had a lasting impact on her, and that's a really sad thing to say.
>>
>>30875711
>You've just described practically the entirety of the main (and in some cases supporting) cast.

Can't really think of any other character besides AJ or Spike who does this in recent seasons. Season 1+2 are an exception, but the writers improved since season 3.

>I think her friendship with Rarity in general shows that well enough.

Their friendship seemed more forced by circumstances than genuine interest. The biggest reason they spend so much time together is because their younger sisters are friends.
>>
>>30875757
Until evidence is provided to show that there's anything more going on here than shitposting, there's no reason to assume it's not.

>it's the one episode who's had a lasting impact on her
What are Look Before You Sleep, The Last Roundup, SSCS6K, Pinkie Apple Pie, Leap of Faith, or Somepony to Watch Over Me?
>>30875765
Starlight and Twilight have both held that role as recently as Triple Threat. Discord does it occasionally too but at least for him it makes sense in character.
As for the Rarity thing, you're right about how their friendship began. But just because a situation starts out forced doesn't mean the resulting consequences don't count. As for your claim as to the biggest reason they are friends, that is simply inaccurate. Just look at Trade Ya! or, although the episode itself was complete garbage, Applejack's "Day" Off, and you'll see that in both cases the two of them are being friendly together and actively choosing to be friendly with each other without having anything to do with their sisters.
>>
>>30875728
Yeah, but this one is orange.
>>
>>30875820
>look before you sleep
alright, granted, the OTHER episode to give her some lasting development, in that she now is friends with Rarity
>the last roundup
"I shouldn't be so stubborn (about hiding my pride)" - virtually the same lesson as Applebuck Season , check
>sscs6k
LITERALLY "I didn't learn anything"
>Pinkie Apple Pie
Ok, so now she has one more relative. Does it modify her behaviour in any way? No. She's still as nice to Pinkie as ever.
>leap of faith
I barely remember what this one was about. Not lying to protect someone else's feelings?
>somepony to watch over me
Overprotectiveness is suddenly played up to ridiculous levels just to make this episode, then it goes back to previous normal levels.
>>
>>30875346
Allow Horseshoes to explain it to you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWm072ccqyw
>>
>>30875863
True, you can simplify any episode down to a short sentence to make it seem inconsequential.
>>
>>30875820
>Somepony to Watch Over Me
She literally acts the exact same way in Carts Before the Ponies and there hasn't been a chance for her to allow AB more independence since. She didn't learn anything from that episode.

>SSCS6K

She herself says she doesn't learn anything from this episode.

As for those episodes, I don't see how any of those but look before you sleep had an impact on her.

>tarlight and Twilight have both held that role as recently as Triple Threat. Discord does it occasionally too but at least for him it makes sense in character.
As for the Rarity thing, you're right about how their friendship began.

Sure, they were dumb in that episode, but even then, it is far rarer for anyone but AJ or Spike to hold the idiot ball (there are plenty of episodes of Glimmer being a reasonable leader). There is also the problem that AJ is rarely called out for her stupidity, like in Carts Before the Ponies where she ends up blaming her Apple Bloom + Friends for the fact that she didn't listen to ABs clear requests. I'd go out and say that there are more episodes in S6 and S7 where AJ holds the idiot ball then where she doesn't.
>>
>>30875875
Well, do tell how any of those episodes modified her behaviour. Just because I don't type walls of text instead of shortening it to my point, doesn't mean I don't have a point.
>>
>>30875685
>a competitive streak
That's because that's Rd's thing because writers said only it's only for Rd.
Anyway I think the real reason AJ's where she is, is because she's too stable. She has her home, farm, family, friends. She's financially stable. Her hobby is working on the farm and growing/raising things.
In a word....she's normal. A normal successful farm girl working from sun up to sun down.

That's the problem, she had all that at the start of the series. She was already a good hard working girl with who's only problem was keeping the farm going, and that's solved with hard work. She hasn't grown because she hasn't needed too.

So....what to do then? There's the missing Mom/Dad wound that's they'll have to play on to make her grow. She just flat out lose the farm to deal with the loss of her failure as well as her family home. Big Mac could move out to live with the girlfriend and AP could go full time CMC, leaving AJ to do triple the work which slowly stresses her out to the point of madness and start hating her family. An arranged marriage biased on the old customs of her family. Get a boyfriend. Body-swap ep with Sparkle that leads her to want to keep Sparkle's body because it makes her work easier so she gets lazy with power. Has to judge an fruit contest but has major discrimination against other fruits that are not apples and even the apples are judged to harshly do to her pride in her families apples. AJ has to control her temper around all the ponies that are bad mouthing her apples and farm do to some ponies smear campaign to make their produce look good. A good ol' family/personal prank feud.
>>
>>30875982
>In a word....she's normal. A normal successful farm girl working from sun up to sun down

I don't think that is the problem. The CMC were just average children until they got their cutie marks and in a lot of ways are still just average children now and they are interesting characters regardless (outside of season 1).
>>
>>30875346
She's supposed to be the mature one, yet she went into an autistic rage over someone saying they don't like apples.
>>
File: 1503877651047.jpg (200KB, 942x939px) Image search: [Google]
1503877651047.jpg
200KB, 942x939px
apples
>>
>>30876206
And though a silly ritual was necessary to feed pigs, and scolded apple bloom for not wanting to make a traditional cart (and implying she wasn't a real family member), and tore a part a hat someone worked hard on because she didn't like it. The list goes on.
>>
>>30876142
>children until they got their cutie marks

That's the point. They worked and toiled. They slowly built themselves up into becoming interesting characters. Now they have a interesting character foundation to really grow on.

AJ can't do that because she has it all ready.
All she's doing now maintaining the status quo of the farm to feed, shelter, and protect her family.
Her farm, at the start of the show, produced a SHIT TON of products. So much so that you can't add any thing else with out turning the place into a factory. AJ grew up running a large farm that provided what they needed. AJ works hard because she lost her parents, so she took up the mantle of family breed winner, putting in the work to bring home the money. (We saw that in S1 at the Gala Ball) . All her growth went into backbreaking hard work to live. If they had guns she'd be a gun owner, could do something with that if it existed.

Maybe another ep could be AJ just saying fuck it and running away from the chores.
>>
>>30876274
>>30876206
>>30876260
AH!
She has no childhood.
>>
>>30875346

you use all those 1's to easier-find your saved pictures, don't you?
>>
>>30875973
(Part 1)
Last Roundup showed that although she's learned not to try to do everything herself without asking for help, she still needs to push past her pride of letting others see she's failed. There's a big difference between not asking for help because you think you can handle something and knowing you've failed but trying to make up for it to keep from letting others down. Still pride, but a different circumstance than in ABS.

SSCS6K introduced a rivalry which still lasts to this day, and although she "Didn't learn anything", it's the first time we see her actively reach out as soon as she needs help. It shows she's definitively learned the lesson from Applebuck Season, instead of pulling a Fluttershy and "baby stepping" her way through it and having to be taught the lesson again and again before making a change. She also, although downtrodden, is able to accept that they've failed in their battle against Flim and Flam, taking the hit to her pride with grace considering she'd just lost her farm.

Pinkie Apple Pie shows that she doesn't have to appear perfect, nor should she expect others to appear perfect. Again, similar to the previous two, but the application is different. This isn't about a fear of letting people down, or a need to prove oneself, this is an attempt to impress someone while trying to make sure others don't (in her opinion) screw things up. This isn't so much that Applejack tries too hard herself so much as she tries too hard to make sure her family doesn't (as she believes could happen) ruin things with Pinkie.
>>
>>30876381
(Part 2)
Leap of Faith (again) builds on this idea of failure and expectation. But in this case, it's not Applejack fearing she won't live up to expectations or appear perfect, it's that the expectations of her loved ones have been raised by an external source, and she has to be the one responsible for informing them that they've been had. It's not just that she has to learn not to lie to protect someone else, it's that she has to overcome her want to keep everyone happy and knowingly let them down, because although the problem itself is no fault of her own, she still has to be the bearer of bad news, bad news which appears to be untrue at first glance.

The biggest failing of Somepony to Watch Over Me is that it happened too late in the series, because at that point Apple Bloom had already been on her own plenty. Had this episode taken place earlier, it would be far better. However, the lesson here is still the same. This episode struck a chord with me as an older brother, because I still remember the first time my little sister was home alone for an extended period. Sure, it's crazy, but I worried like hell about her, far beyond reason. Sure, I didn't baby-proof the house, but I definitely would've wanted to check in on her partway through the day if I could have. And if I had and she had just hurt herself, I probably would've stayed behind too. Sure, they play up AJ's protectiveness for laughs, but the feelings themselves were spot-on. But eventually you have to set those feelings and let your siblings grow up. Yes, it's odd that this occurs when it does in the series due to her behavior prior to and following the episode, but that's it's only real failing.
>>
>>30876381
And yet all three of those are undone again in Racist Barn (yeah I know that's not the title, damn if I can remember it) in which she not only refuses to fail, accept her or others failure, and wants it to appear perfect without either her or her family screwing things up.
>>30876387
Ah, a personal connection is good (had it with the Big Mac Sisterhooves Social episode), but as you yourself acknowledge, the episode ultimately had no impact.
If you ask me, barring Look before you sleep and Applebuck Season, you could play any Applejack episode in any order you want and it wouldn't change a thing. You can't do this with other ponies.
>>
>>30876543
>>30876387
The weird part with somepony to watch over me is that it really is a great apple bloom episode despite how bad applejack is in it. It showed AB starting to act more maturely while still keeping her a child who occasionally does something really stupid, rather than doing the cliched kid ruins everything while their parents are out plot.

This episode absolutely could not work in the earlier seasons simply because I would have a hard time believing that apple bloom could act so maturely in seasons 1 or 2.
>>
>>30876580
That much is true, but it rests more on Applebloom than Applejack.
>>
>>30875346
prolly because she's so easy to write for.

Hyuck hyuck apple farm muh family apples ect.
>>
Would fame and misfortune be better if AJ was hated instead of rarara?
>>
>>30876387
>>30876381
I think the question he meant was how does AJs lessons in past episodes affect how she behaves in future episodes.

Like with Sleepless in Ponyville, scootalaoo learns to express her fears instead of bottling them up, and then does so in Campfire Tales or the CMC learn in On Your Marks that they don't have to be good at something to enjoy it, and then in Carts Before the Ponies they decide to choose carts they enjoy rather than necessarily being the best at making. This is also why the season 1 + early season 2 CMC episodes were bad, as they never learned from their mistakes.
>>
AJ was never good.
>>
>>30876882
No because Rarity would actually enjoy being popular.
>>
>>30879632
That episode was so good for calling out rarara as worst pony, but AJ arguably deserved it more.
>>
How exactly would you suggest writing her off the show?

Besides killing her because that's not happening
>>
>>30875346
>AJ's personality and weaknesses seem to change from episode to episode, one episode she is stubborn, the next she is a traditionalist, the next she does something impulsive, and then there is the even more obnoxious "regress AJ into an idiot" trope where the plot could be solved instantly by either an obvious solution or just by listening to her family/friends.
I don't get this argument, sounds like her personality is kept the same.
>>
>>30875711
One of Applejack obvious hobbies is rodeo and other "cowboy" competitions, I don't think the creator of this show has bothered to watch her episodes though. Just because she doesn't scream about her hobbies like Rainbow Dash every moment of the show doesn't mean she has none.
>>
>>30879711
Write an episode about AJ leaving the farm to help with an ongoing crisis on another apple farm, the episode would be about the rest of the apple family dealing with AJs departure.
>>
>>30879743
Because unlike other characters who have weaknesses that revolve around their character (see apple bloom who often does something impulsive with good intentions like making a love potion or trying to help organize jam/cider but forgetting to label them or big mac who's episodes revolve around his inability to express himself), applejack's weaknesses are entirely dependent on the premise of the episode and what is needed to make said episode work.
>>
>>30875346
At least she has episodes; what about poor Fluttershy?
>>
>>30879837
Fluttershy is at least growing as a character, AJ has been stagnant for a while now.
>>
>>30879760
She just feels so bland, those are probably the two most generic "farm person" hobbies I can think of.
>>
>>30880697
Oh yeah, joining an elite flying group is not generic at all for an athlete.
>>
>>30880932
It's closer to the military than it is a sports team, which makes things more interesting.

AJ just has nothing going for her.
>>
Are there any applejack fans? I get why every other main character has fans (including the CMC, Spike, and Glimmer), but not applejack.
>>
>>30875346
>Why is Applejack still in the show?

Because she is going to be the one to make animation history and actually have her nipples shown at the end of this season.
>>
>>30882309
no
>>
>>30876543
>you could play any Applejack episode in any order you want and it wouldn't change a thing. You can't do this with other ponies.
This is kinda funny, because you see, you can actually do it with all of the mane six, one of the main problems with mlp is that the writters always have their how interpretation of how a character should act, and they try to make the character develop that way, normally this isn't a problem but in this show the writer's interpretations often clash.
There was this period between season 4 and 5 were most of the old writers left and were replaced, then the new writers tried to write and develop the characters propertly, this backfired since that need to change the path the old writers were using, all of this created a lot of OCC moments.

With fluttershy you have the well-known fact that she needed to learn how to be assertive like five times, when the writer-shift happened, they tried to make all those lessons have an effect, this ended turning her from a shy sweet caring girl that had trouble standing up for herself into a introverted girl with random blows of bottled-up anger.
Rainbow never had that much of character growth in the first place, she has always been a prepotent tomboyish girl with a soft spot for certain things, and her episodes were monstly focused on humbling her down or letting her open up her soft side, none of those had a lasting effect, the writer shift only made her a little more callous.
1/2
>>
>>30884855
2/2
Rarity rarely (no pun intended) had any episodes focusing in HER character, most of them being based in her interactions with other characters, for example her relationship with her sister and her relationship with applejack, one of the few relationships between characters that developed over time.
Most of pinkie's episodes were about self-confidence and building trust on her friends, there is no actual way to easily showcase changes in these aspects of her personality, so we can't know if there was any changes in her personality especially considering how erratic it is, the writer shit made her more obnouxious and volatile.
Twilight as the main character of the main characters WAS one of the few that actually showed a little character developement, namely on becoming more receptive about friendship and interpersonal relationships (the show original main theme), but in season 3 everything went to shit since they trew away all her developement and older personality in exchange of a "the princess that doesn't want to be a princess" trope, and tried turning her slowly into celestia 2.0, we know how that worked out.
Most characters have very little lasting changes in their personality, this happens when you have six main characters, most change is based around the status quo or the characters aspirations and goals, of wich all of them have one clearly defined goal.
Except applejack, she already has what she wants, making her seem like an incomplete character, her problem is not that she is a bad character, but rather her tipe of character and personality clash against the show's particular style of writing the character progression, it just works poorly.
>>
>>30884855
>you can actually do it with all of the mane six,
This is why the CMC, Discord, and Glimmer are superior characers.
>>
>>30884855
Fluttershy has had outbursts of bottled-up anger since season 1. She did start showing her temper a lot more in season 6, but she also stopped letting it push her too far, which qualifies as character development if you ask me.
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.