[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The worst thing about Fame and Misfortune isn't the meta

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

The worst thing about Fame and Misfortune isn't the meta commentary or the shitting on the fanbase. It's the song. Or rather, what the song could've been. It's the fact that, given the proper storytelling and appropriate context, Flawless could've been a true crowning moment for the Mane 6, who have collectively faded further and further into the background of their own show in recent seasons. Instead it fell completely flat because it had nothing to do with the conflict and thus meant nothing to anyone.

When was the last time the mane 6 got to share an actual meaningful moment together? When something they did actually fucking mattered? Season 4? Since then it's been all Glimshit and the hellspawn baby and the CMC, and even SPIKE has gotten time to shine. It's telling when the most special part of season 7 so far has been between two characters who've been dead the entire series. And don't bother with the "there's no proof they're dead" shit, it doesn't matter, that's not the point. The point is, if the writers are going to keep passing up opportunities to make the mane 6 feel special again, either end the show or establish new main characters.
>>
>>30850030
Nobody knows how to write the Mane 6 anymore
Maybe they can when it's an episode focusing on one, but when they're all together most get shafted in some form.
Pinkie is reduced to a screaming retard in supporting roles, but in episodes like Not Asking For Trouble she was completely fine for example
>>
>>30850030

>a motherfucking Applejack parents episode
>Rainbow Dash joining the wonderbolts
>Rarity expanding her business
>Fluttershy finally having real confidence
>all the map episodes
>THE MANE 6 ARE BACKGROUND CHARACTERS THANKS TO STARLIGHT REEEEEEEEEEEE

what did /mlp/ mean by this?
>>
No, it's the entire town acting completely out of character. They have witnessed some of the events in the friendship journal themselves. They have seen Twilight's progression over the years with their own eyes.
>>
>>30850046
>Nobody knows how to write the Mane 6 anymore
This exactly. They don't want to "wreck" what they've already accomplished or who they are, but shoving them into the midground is barely fixing that. In fact, it keeps making the show less watchable due to the "sting" of what could be happening if they actually wanted to write for them.
>>
>>30850055
>bringing up individual accomplishments when the post is about the mane 6 as a group
>>
File: ludwig_from_pearlie_by_H2expert.png (35KB, 382x321px) Image search: [Google]
ludwig_from_pearlie_by_H2expert.png
35KB, 382x321px
>>30850030
>continue watching the show
Well there's your problem
>>
>>30850098

but they hardly count as background characters
>>
>>30850055
This. I honestly don't what people are talking about. Giving other characters development doesn't mean that they're ignoring the mane 6.
>>
Feels like the song was from an earlier draft.
>>
>>30850125
Probably this. I honestly liked this episode and unlike op, I actually did think that it had some nice mane 6 moments, particularly toward the end. But I'll admit that the subject matter of the song was only loosely related to what was actually going on.
>>
>>30850105
Individually, they still matter. Collectively, not so much. The bottom line is they're not the elements of harmony anymore. Equestria is no longer in danger of falling apart if the mane 6 suddenly stop being friends. The map was the last thing tying them together and now even that is no longer exclusive to them. They've got idiot fanbases inside and outside of canon wondering why the mane 6 still bother being friends in the first place. They can't even convince a crowd of ponies (many of whom know them personally) that they are actually good friends. For the first time it feels like they are more powerful and influential individually than they are collectively.

I guess what I'm trying to say is their friendship is no longer magic.
>>
File: image.png (42KB, 289x487px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
42KB, 289x487px
>>30850279
>spoilered words
>>
>>30850279
These are harsh words but there may be some truth to it. I have to say though that I understand why the writers have gone in the direction they have. The show would have likely gotten stale by now if they stuck with same plots of the mane 6 saving Equestria with the elements of harmony and still learning the same friendship lessons as if most of them hadn't already completed their major character arcs. It's necessary at this point to instead shift some focus to some character dynamics that haven't been explored as much. I.e.: Starlight making a new friend group with social outcasts and the mane 6 exploring family related issues.

Has that come at a cost though? Maybe. I can understand why their bond as a group might not be felt by the audience nearly as much as it used to. If they were called to do so though, I can easily imagine them saving Equestria again together and it wouldn't feel weird or out of place. Their bond is strong enough to weather some time apart.
>>
>>30850030
The episode is good, but what I found bad about the song is how it underlines something thats important, but doesn't really really address it. The ponies are flawed, but their flaws are paramount to their roles in Equestria. Just in this episode, Twilight's act to create friendship, creates "unfriendship". The way the show is written, whenever they need an episode like Applejack showing honesty, it becomes one of those episodes where Applejack tries to find new ways to lie. Yet the ponies always come back to "Who's the most X's of ponies you know? Its me! Princess of X."
>>
>>30850055
this tbqhf there weren't really that many episodes of the mane 6 outside of S1
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.