[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are so many anons obsessed with season 1 but hate the rest

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 9

File: 1503047890233.png (13KB, 872x503px) Image search: [Google]
1503047890233.png
13KB, 872x503px
Why are so many anons obsessed with season 1 but hate the rest of the show? Season 1 was genuinely bad and the rest of the show did so much to improve itself. Season 1 just seems so dated now compared to everything else, why would someone prefer a poorly written adventure episode like Dragonshy to a much more interesting one like Gauntlet of Fire.
>>
File: 150392850872508274684739.gif (411KB, 380x380px) Image search: [Google]
150392850872508274684739.gif
411KB, 380x380px
>>30849393
first experience is always the best. ask any druggie.
>>
>>30849393
I know this is a bait thread and even though I'm not a Faustfag and still love the show, S1 had so many simple, beautiful, and heart-tenderizing SoL moments that the show hasn't managed to replicate since.
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1V7utCUmS8
>>
File: 1450436850001.jpg (52KB, 1000x584px) Image search: [Google]
1450436850001.jpg
52KB, 1000x584px
>>30849393
Trying too hard, desu.
>>
>>30849393
If you're going to make a claim like that, please explain what about Gauntlet of Fire makes it better than Dragonshy.
>>
They're not even comparable. Season 1 legitimately targeted this slightly above toddler age level and had restrictions based on the "Educational and Informative" label. It's got a much softer, genuine tone that separates itself even as soon as season 2. Once you enter into season 4, the tone completely changes and you're left with a very modern cartoon that has boyish plots like Powerponies and Bats! and edgier dialogue and situations. Hell, we may have even crossed an additional boundary with Starlight joining the main characters. She's a sociopath and bonds with outcasts like Trixie and Discord. The way they act doesn't fit with the typical safe role models the show used to have.
>>
File: sage in all fields.png (121KB, 2150x1384px) Image search: [Google]
sage in all fields.png
121KB, 2150x1384px
>falling for the meme
fuck off
>>
>>30849393
What specifically made the early seasons so non-entertaining for you?
It's strange how you hold season 5 in such high regard even though it had episodes like:
>Castle Sweet Castle
>Appleoosa's Most Wanted
>Slice of Life
>Princess Spike
>Party Pooped
>Made in Manehattan
>The One Where Pinkie Pie Knows
>What About Discord
>The Hooffields and Mccolts
which were all awful.
>>
>>30849487
The only genuinely bad episode on your list is What About Discord. Hooffields/manehattan were just boring, but the rest of those ranged from decent to good; no other season (possible exception to season 7 if it continues like this) has had as many strong episodes as season 5. Season 1 has had far more awful episodes than that, episodes like:

>staremaster
>show stoppers
>owls well
>feeling pinkie keen
>boast busters
>look before you sleep
>a bird in the hoof

and that is only considering the genuinely awful ones and not the mediocre ones.
>>
>>30849487
that's quite the hyperbole anon
>>30849506
>look before you sleep
boi
>>
File: dad slice of life is canon.png (161KB, 633x635px) Image search: [Google]
dad slice of life is canon.png
161KB, 633x635px
>>30849487
>slice of life
>awful
holy fuck get off my board
>>
>>30849487
>What specifically made the early seasons so non-entertaining for you?
A few things did it. How poorly written some of the characters were (the CMC are the worst offenders but far from the only ones), episodes like look before you sleep show casing supposed adults acting like children, the lack of scale on the episodes (I use dragonshy because even as an adventure episode, there was zero tension, I'm not really sure what exactly about it makes it like this though, but its definitely something that is systemic with season 1).
>>
>>30849524
Shut up, Mitch. Don't you have a movie to be consulting?
>>
>>30849506
>Feeling Pinkie Keen
Incredibly charming episode filled with great characterization and slapstick humor. People only bitch about the ending and the fact that Twilight could have teleported. Small flaws don't destroy an episode.
>Stare master
The one fucking babysitting episode out of countless in this show that actually destroys cliches by including an element of danger and fantasy into it.
>A Bird in the Hoof
Leagues ahead of modern Fluttershy episodes. It has a great fantasy element and fits Fluttershy's character perfectly. It actually focuses on her love of animals instead of her shyness.
>>
>>30849562
>Leagues ahead of modern Fluttershy episodes. It has a great fantasy element and fits Fluttershy's character perfectly. It actually focuses on her love of animals instead of her shyness.

The last Fluttershy episode was Fluttershy Leans In. Did that episode not emphasis her love of animals.
>>
>>30849393
Season 1 and some of Season 2 didn't feel like a little girl's show. It was like Dexter's Lab or the original Power Puff Girls. Later seasons literally feels like its for little girls only.
>>
>>30849562
>Incredibly charming episode filled with great characterization and slapstick humor. People only bitch about the ending and the fact that Twilight could have teleported. Small flaws don't destroy an episode.

That and the moral was awful, even if we don't consider it in the context of religion.

>The one fucking babysitting episode out of countless in this show that actually destroys cliches by including an element of danger and fantasy into it.

By giving the CMC their worst characterization to date and is one of the reasons why people hated the CMC during season 1.

>Leagues ahead of modern Fluttershy episodes. It has a great fantasy element and fits Fluttershy's character perfectly. It actually focuses on her love of animals instead of her shyness.

Episode would have been entirely avoided if Fluttershy just asked Celestia about the bird, she didn't because she was too shy. Modern fluttershy episodes actually had her expand beyond "she is shy."

>>30849521
When Rarity and Applejack are acting less mature than Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle (in season 3 and onwards), you know that something is wrong.

I think that is really the biggest problem I have with season 1. All of the adults are written as if they were children and all of the children are written as if they are morons, later seasons would thankfully shift the mane 6 to more adult oriented issues and write the CMC like reasonably smart children (but still keeping them children).
>>
Season 1 was the pure season. It was not tainted by the brony fandom and the Internet.
>>
>>30849615
Stranger Than Fan Fiction and Dungeons and Discords were for little girls only?
>>
>>30849615
I think you got that the other way around
>>
>>30849651
They had little girl themes, but it was not portrayed as such.
>>
File: 1502566010933.png (9KB, 872x503px) Image search: [Google]
1502566010933.png
9KB, 872x503px
>>30849393
>>30849506
>>30849521
>>30849524
>>30849536
Shit taste as usual. Neo/mlp/ truly never changes. How about you go back to roleplaying your OCs at deviantArt
>>
File: aXm568xjU.jpg (81KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
aXm568xjU.jpg
81KB, 650x650px
>>30849393
>Season 1 was genuinely bad

Seven seasons, five movies, a comic series and fan-built worldwide conventions don't happen when a series starts out as shit, dumbass.
It started out great and it continues to be so while only occasionally wetting its pants.
>>
File: f7FdEdG.jpg (10KB, 260x194px) Image search: [Google]
f7FdEdG.jpg
10KB, 260x194px
>>30849674
>>
>>30849674
The reason for this is that MLP was originally meant to be a toddler show, and for a toddler show, it was pretty good compared to its competition. During season 2, the show changed over to a more general kids show and the show has been improving ever since, season 1 is pretty shitty when compared to the rest of the show from the perspective of a general kids show.
>>
File: 1467478081301.gif (2MB, 448x252px) Image search: [Google]
1467478081301.gif
2MB, 448x252px
>>30849698
>and for a toddler show, it was pretty good [...] season 1 is pretty shitty when compared to the rest of the show from the perspective of a general kids show.
You're literally saying that you're taking something out of the context of its existence for the sake of a comparison.
>>
>>30849674
This. I'll admit that I somewhat prefer the older seasons as a personal preference but I still love the newer episodes as well.
>>
>>30849669
But seasons 3 onwards was much less "a girls show" and more of a "a quality show with female leads."
>>
>>30849634
Correcto
>>30849674
Also correcto to-o ano extento
>>
>>30849736
That's the problem. The toddler version of MLP doesn't age well at all compared to the rest of the show, you can't really enjoy it that much after seeing vastly superior episodes in season 4-7.
>>
>>30849750
So what this thread is "potentially" agreeing upon is that the good episodes have gotten better, and/or the bad episodes have gotten worse, depending on what the show wants to portray itself as.
>>
>>30849750
>you can't really enjoy it that much after seeing vastly superior episodes in season 4-7
Sounds like you're projecting a bit there.

>>30849775
This is pretty much what every sane Season comparison thread comes down to. The show is very clearly split into several eras where the overall aim and direction of the season(s) go in vastly different ways. Hell, I'd argue that S3 to S5 belong in one separate from S6 and S7
>>
>>30849393
I always felt the show was hit and miss during the first three seasons. Good episodes were really good, and bad episodes were really bad. There were a few lessons being shoehorned in unnatural or contrived ways, too, which kinda kills a few otherwise decent episodes.

Season 4 onwards downplayed the morals aspect (while still having them), which allowed for more fun and interesting episodes, IMO. Still some bad episodes here and there, but I feel they aren't nearly as common. Season 6 was admittedly a bit boring at times though.
>>
>>30849393
I think the show's over rated. It still is only because how the internet bloats it like a meme. Its a show for little kids that watch Dora the Explorer. That was its original intention along with selling toys.

Its high quality but its not exactly like Steven Universe or Star vs The Forces of Evil when it comes to complexity. Maybe its because it does this weird balancing act between telling a story or getting a moral across. And in the later seasons, MLP seems to be trying to get that shallow moral across a lot more than telling a fun story about fun characters.
>>
>>30849885
>And in the later seasons, MLP seems to be trying to get that shallow moral across a lot more than telling a fun story about fun characters.

But thats wrong. Early seasons were far more focused on morals than the show currently is. There are actually plenty of episodes in recent seasons that don't even have a moral.
>>
>>30849393
I don't know maybe it's:
>Sillier and cuter while retaining a sense of adventure?
>Pinkie being unbeatable at Tic-tac-toe is a legit funny gag unlike her constant screetching (and Rarity shrugging at her being random instead of not even anknowledging it)?
>Twilight has a willful but still supportive personality with a bit of spicy snark?
>Fluttershy being cute and funny being dumbing her character down too much?
>The dragon being polite until Rainbow pissed him off is a better twist than playing the 'dragons are fuckboys, Spike just got the pony treatment'?
>The episode being a reference to the first Disney Fairies book?

I don't know man, gee, all these faggots must just be trolling.
>>
>>30849393
Because the earlier seasons doesn't shit on it fanbase.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.