[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Remember when Twilight thought AJ could fight a dragon because

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 9

File: Dragonshy sr.png (635KB, 952x560px) Image search: [Google]
Dragonshy sr.png
635KB, 952x560px
Remember when Twilight thought AJ could fight a dragon because she could kick apples
>>
>>30832871
no, she thought AJ could fight a dragon because AJ owns a shotgun, just like any redneck
>>
she assumed AJ would kick rocks or something, the apples were just for show.
>>
>>30832871
>doubting her appulfu
>>
>>30832871

>Twilight is a skilled magic user
>Rainbow Dash spent several years training to be in an elite military program and was eventually accepted
>Applejack is a slightly more athletic than average farmer

Why would Rarity, Fluttershy, or Pinkie Pie ever be brought along on a mission that didn't require diplomacy? They were pretty much completely useless against Chrysalis and Tirek outside of just standing around so that the elements/rainbow power would activate/
>>
File: sad_pinkamena.png (123KB, 575x350px) Image search: [Google]
sad_pinkamena.png
123KB, 575x350px
>>30832871
>If this episode would be aired today everyone would call it a bad episode with lame writing.
Back then everyone was happy just because it had cute ponies doing cute things together. Why are we not allowed to enjoy simple things anymore?
>>
>>30832927
>slightly more athletic

Rainbow Dash literally trains all day and is a professional athlete, and she is slightly better than Applejack at sports.
>>
File: 1389156015193.gif (108KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1389156015193.gif
108KB, 500x281px
>>30832964
Because we have a much bigger sample size to compare it to. Welcome to adulthood
>>
>>30832927
>Rarity
She knows martial arts and has lady rage.
>Fluttershy
Step on a beetle and see if you survive. She can crack a bear's back.
>Pinkie Pie
Party canons, toon physics, eldritch god powers.
>>
>>30832964
Autistic bronies being armchair reviewers.
>>
>>30832964
MLP was never good
>>
>>30832871
Another example of how poorly written season 1 is.
>>
>>30832917
How is kicking rocks at a dragon going to hurt it?
>>30832964
Feels
>>
File: 124234123.png (350KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
124234123.png
350KB, 1280x720px
Remember when Twilight thought trying to gore a manticore was a good idea? Or, you know, just the fact that she tried to fucking gore anything.

Like, holy fuck, think about it, Twilight Sparkle, the current Princess of friendship who's basically a walking motivational speech and believes any problem has a non-violent solution, tried to fucking stab shit with her horn.
>>
I just assumed she was going to kick him directly. Would've been plausible if Earth Pony fanon were canon.
>>
>>30832964
I'm the first that criticizes episodes' plots I dislike (both old and new episodes), but I do miss when we loved everything
>>
>>30832871
>kick apples so hard they turn to mush on impact
I'd like to see you try that.
>>
>>30835657
I can do that by just throwing an apple on the ground you fucking retard. Splattering an apple is easy as shit.
>>
>>30835706
I don't mean splattering it a bit or breaking it into pieces. I'm talking about the apple basically exploding, like in the episode.
>>
>>30835730
unless apples are just water in a thin membrane, that's pretty much not possible. Apples simply don't do that when smashed. Notice I said "smashed" and not "crushed". Getting an apple down to a pulp isn't possible by throwing it, it'd sooner burst apart.
>>
>>30832964
>If this episode would be aired today everyone would call it a bad episode with lame writing.

no they wouldn't.
>>
Applejack - Tank
Rainbow Dash - Death by 1000 cuts
Twilight - Primary Caster
Rarity - Support Caster
Pinkie Pie - Non Magical Support
Fluttershy - Diplomacy, Combat Buffs, Heals

Applejack was there to get punched in case it turned into a brawl.
>>
>>30835816
It really would. Season 1 is the most overrated season in the show by far.
>>
>>30835757
I'm sure there is someone out there who cares enough to do the math to calculate out how much pressure it takes to liquify an apple and then convert that into how hard AJ must have kicked them. Send it in to Film Theorists and see if they'll do something with it.
>>
>>30832964
>not allowed

Fuck the haters, I still enjoy the show just for it being cute pones doing cute things.
>>
>>30835920
>film theorists
back to >>>/r/eddit
>>
File: 1501021116397.png (1MB, 1024x913px) Image search: [Google]
1501021116397.png
1MB, 1024x913px
She was just sprucing up that tree with some of her funky modern art.
>>
>>30832964

>Back then everyone was happy just because it had cute ponies doing cute things together. Why are we not allowed to enjoy simple things anymore?

Back then, the world was new and many episodes developed the world in some way or provided some new interactions to enjoy.

Its not happening so much these days with the characters we've seen grow from the start, and after certain meta-level happenings in the show, people dont like the current direction of said developments when they do happen with those who remain.
>>
>>30832964
No. We criticizes the new episodes harshly because of banality.

Neo/mlp/ would criticizes this however for not having enough memes and fan pandering.
>>
>>30836051
Im pretty sure every CMC episode since season 3 had them interact in a new and interesting way.
>>
>>30832871
>Remember when a battle was waged with throwing pies at each other?
>Remember when the biggest threat to Ponyville were cute blobs with wings?
>Remember when the villains tried taking over the world by putting scary faces on trees and turning roads to soap?
>Remember when a magic duel meant summoning weird shit to outwit each other instead of just shooting lasers?
>Remember when even actual fight scenes with an army of bugs were filled with gigs and puns, even the lasers?

Remember when this show was silly and cute? I do.
>>
>>30833098
>Party canons Party canons Party canons Party canons Party canons Party canons Party canons Party canons Party canons Party canons Party canons Party canons Party canons Party canons Party canons Party canons Party canons Party canons Party canons Party canons Party canons Party canons Party canons Party canons
>>
>>30832871
Remember when Twilight wasn't an OP piece of shit?
>>
>>30835920
Back when I was studying agriculture engineering we I used to do something similar with stuff like crushing a cut section of a potato to find the pressure required to expand from the sides and eventually crush the material used. I thought of doing the same to an apple because I wanted to approximate how heavy ponies were since Fluttershy basically crushed an apple using only part of her weight but didn't manage to do so.
>>
>>30836908
>Remember when Twilight wasn't an OP piece of shit?
So never? Since you know, she was called the most gifted unicorn in Equestria since day 1.
>>
>>30832968
It's generally agreed upon that earth ponies are stronger than pegasi, so the fact that Applejack isn't hands down, irrefutably stronger or has more endurance is kind of a mark against her, or a demonstration of just how exceptional of an athlete Dash is.
Can you imagine if a earth pony was as dedicated to training themselves as Dash is? They'd be an unstoppable force. Heck, Maud is already op, and she doesn't even train to be so. I mean, sure, she probably works hard everyday, but only in a similar way as AJ, so if she actually set out to work herself to her limits to push beyond them, she'd be like a god.
>>
>>30833098
I hate the Rarity knows martial arts thing. Like, I get that there were some bits in the show, but they were jokes, and yet I've seen fans write her like she's Bruce Lee level master. And to make it worse, the reasoning behind her skill is that she does it to stay in shape.
Really? You think Rarity has enough hours in the day with her career, or even enough dedication to train in something that has nothing to do with her passion, to the point where she is a master? Are you hearing yourself?
Bruce Lee trained constantly, always pushing his limits, adjusting his diet very specifically to compliment his intense training, and pretty much lived martial arts, and you think a fashionista is going to be on his level?
It's ridiculous. She does not know martial arts, and if she does, it's of a very, Very, low level. Like, yellow belt kiddie shit.
>>
>>30837000
The funny thing is back then being the most gifted unicorn actually seemed low tier by the current shows standards, dozens of unicorns can easily do what Twilight used to do like it's entry level shit, it's hard to imagine a unicorn that couldn't beat an Ursa Minor tbqh.
>>
>>30837084
Not really. There's starlight, twilight, sunset, Trixie is considered especially talented for a unicorn. Who else has shown any real prowess that wasn't an alicorn?
>>
File: image.jpg (82KB, 745x888px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82KB, 745x888px
>>30837062
She has raw natural ability to kick ass, I'm sorry that your precious Bruce Lee has to train constantly and is still bested by a fragile lady.
>>
>>30837084
>dozens of unicorns
You have one, two if you want to give Trixie a pity mention.

> it's hard to imagine a unicorn that couldn't beat an Ursa Minor tbqh.
There was also.
>The fake wing spell
>The multi cloud walk spell.
>Still haven't seen another unicorn lift a boulder with levitation
>Can memorize, recreate, and perfect any spell she wants, even if she has only seen once.
Yeah no, Twilight was always broken even before the wings
>>
>>30837100
She misinterpreted her cutie mark, then? She has hooves of diamond, or maybe she can break diamonds with her hooves.
>>
>>30832964
>everyone would call it a bad episode with lame writing
Probably because the new writers would just make it have Twilight, Starlight and probably Trixie shoot fucking beams at the thing for twenty minutes before the dragon would get an instant redemption when Spike suddenly appears. Also there would be an exaggerated meme face people would spam on every site for the next week. But that's what gets newfags off anymore.
>>
>>30837114
>the fake wing spell
Which was too difficult for her to perform more than once.
>the multi cloud walk spell
Which was specifically claimed to be much easier to perform than the wing spell.
>still haven't seen another unicorn lift a boulder with levitation
But we've seen pretty much every unicorn lift objects, the only difference is the weight. Glimmy can even levitate herself.
>Can memorize, recreate, and perfect any spell she wants, even if she has only seen it once
I suppose MMC didn't happen then? She fucked that one up pretty hard. She can't do it for ANY spell either, she just has decent memory and the determination to try and to learn. Every spell she has perfected before the wings has been through dilligent practice or because she exhausted herself trying hard (see: fake wings).
>>
>>30837128
>Which was too difficult for her to perform more than once.
She still casted it, something that even she said she couldn't do.

>Which was specifically claimed to be much easier to perform than the wing spell.
And she still casted it, how much easier do you think that spell would be to any other unicorn, barring Glim?

>But we've seen pretty much every unicorn lift objects, the only difference is the weight. Glimmy can even levitate herself.
That weight is much heavier than a chair, table, or a ponies body.

>I suppose MMC didn't happen then?
It was incomplete, so that wasn't a fuck up on her part. That would also be the second time she finished a spell from Starswirl.
>>
>>30837098
Don't forget Starlight's friend from the crystal kingdom, whatever his name is.
>>
>>30837138
>unicorn whose talent is magic and who studies magic constantly and who is Celestia's protige is good at performing spells
You're right, what a mary sue, none of this comes from the fact that she studied to get where she is, or that her destiny demands that she get better, or that she is tied to the elements of harmony. She's just perfect for no reason at all.
>>
>>30837142
Sunburst? He's a terrible wizard. He knows a lot about magical theory, but the whole point of introducing him was to show that he isn't actually any good at casting spells himself.
>>
>>30837143
>Got into the most prestigious school of magic before she got her cutie mark, because of her raw power.
>Even other unicorns who went to the same school as Twilight, sucks compared to her.
>Does things that no other unicorn until glimmer came along
>Was loved instantly by everyone
I can keep going anon.
>>
>>30837156
>Got into the most prestigious school of magic before she got her cutie mark, because of her raw power.
So you don't watch the show. She AUDITIONED to get into the school, and was going to fail despite her constant studying and practice, until the rainboom sparked the element of magic inside her, and this gave her her cutie mark.
>>
>>30837156
She wasn't loved instantly by anyone. She was accepted, sure. But she fucked up a lot throughout season 1. WWU, FPK, even during the first two episodes everyone thought she was nuts until she was actually proven correct. Even later we get to see her magical abilities evolve as she overcomes bigger and badder obstacles.
>>
>>30837156
Wrong. Twilight was shown as a child to have little to no natural power, and only got into the entrance exam because of her studies. It wasn't until Rainbow forced her through puberty that she became powerful enough to get into the school.
>Even other unicorns who went to the same school as Twilight, sucks compared to her.
So? If I graduated at the top of my class at university, how is that my fault? Same theory.
>Does things that no other unicorn until glimmer came along
There's nothing wrong with being powerful, and being powerful doesn't make someone a bad character or a mary sue. Especially when someone fucking EARNS that power.
>Was instantly loved by everyone
She had zero friends in Canterlot, and it took an end of the world scenario for her to make friends in Ponyville, and even then there were ponies that didn't like her.

I think you're just talking out of your ass.
>>
File: SSG_profile1.png (899KB, 545x628px) Image search: [Google]
SSG_profile1.png
899KB, 545x628px
>>30837027
>work herself to her limits to push beyond them, she'd be like a god
>>
>>30837173
>She AUDITIONED
She had that power dormant in her, her auditioning had nothing to do with that, and she was still pick to be Celestia protege because of it. Also, and it was said before.
>her destiny
Two mary sue qualities right their son.

> WWU, FPK,
No one disliked her in those episodes. They only tried to inform her on what goes on.

> even during the first two episodes everyone thought she was nuts until she was actually proven correct.
The only people who doubted her was Celestia, and Spike. No one else know of the tale until it happen.

>>30837179
>and only got into the entrance exam because of her studies.
It was because the sonic rainboom unlocked her dormant power, she would have failed other ways.

>So? If I graduated at the top of my class at university, how is that my fault? Same theory.
>There's nothing wrong with being powerful, and being powerful doesn't make someone a bad character or a mary sue. Especially when someone fucking EARNS that power.
Being better than your peers, even if they have the same education is part of being a mary sue.

>She had zero friends in Canterlot,
She had friends. Moondancer wasn't made up just for Amending fences.
>and even then there were ponies that didn't like her.
Other than Trixie, who else.
>>
>>30837120
No, she just goes around making stallions diamond.
>>
>>30837210
>It was because the sonic rainboom unlocked her dormant power, she would have failed other ways.
It unlocked her cutie mark. Just like it did with Rainbow, and Fluttershy, and all the Mane Six. And all of them would have failed exactly the same way if it hadn't, that doesn't make Twilight a Mary Sue.

>Being better than your peers, even if they have the same education is part of being a mary sue.
No, it fucking isn't. Please, give me the definition of Mary Sue that you are using, because it is clearly different from the one I'm using. By that logic, Rainbow Dash is a Mary Sue, because she's faster than the other pegasi despite them having the same education. By that logic, Rarity is a Mary Sue for being a better seamstress than Coco and Suri. Being good at something doesn't make you a Mary Sue, it makes you a character with a strength.

>Other than Trixie, who else.
You're right, I'll concede this point. I'll still maintain that there are many moments where ponies are sick of Twilight's shit though, and that they don't blindly, instantly love her from the get go.
>>
>>30837245
>It unlocked her cutie mark.
You're right, it did unlock her cutie mark, but it was still her dormant power that impressed Celestia

>give me the definition of Mary Sue that you are using,
Alright.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Sue
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/MarySue
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Mary%20Sue (magesue, also ignore definition 1)
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CommonMarySueTraits (while all of these don't apply to Twilight, you can pick out some that does)
>youngest and smartest ever person to graduate from the academy and ever get a commission at such a tender age.
Check
>Usually characterized by unprecedented skill in everything from art to zoology,
Nope
>The canon protagonists are all overwhelmed with admiration for her beauty, wit, courage and other virtues, and are quick to adopt her as one of their True Companions, even characters who are usually antisocial and untrusting
Check, minus beauty
>She saves the day by her wit and ability,
Several times
>the Mage!Sue has amazing stregnth in magic, or has a magical power that nobody else has. She'll usually wind up upstaging all of the magical characters of the series.
Until Glimmer, check.

>Absolutely perfect
Nope
>>
>>30837313
>youngest and smartest ever
Sunset Shimmer was noted to be better than Twilight in raw talent, but she lacked the potential for empathy
>overwhelmed with admiration
I'd say they're accepting of her strengths while also acknowledging her weaknesses.
>Save the day with wit and ability
How else is someone supposed to save the day? And the show goes out of it's way to show everyone being involved.
>Magical strength
She has talent and potential, her abilities grow steadily throughout the series, and in the very beginning she isn't a whole lot stronger than any other unicorn. But, like any other Unicorn, she pursues her cutie mark, her's just happens to be magical adaptability. Without her drive to grow and her constant new experiences with the worst equestria has to offer she never would have gone anywhere.
>>
>>30837313
>youngest and smartest ever person to graduate from the academy and ever get a commission at such a tender age.
Except that's not true. Twilight graduated at the same time as everyone else in her class. She is probably the smartest person, but again, that doesn't make her a Mary Sue.
>The canon protagonists are all overwhelmed with admiration for her beauty, wit, courage and other virtues, and are quick to adopt her as one of their True Companions, even characters who are usually antisocial and untrusting
Which is why all of the first episode is spent on the mane 5 shitting on her repeatedly, right? Or why they continually doubt things she says or ignore her completely? None of the mane five are 'overwhelmed with admiration' for Twilight. They treat her exactly the same as they do each other. None of the mane five treat Twilight with over the top respect or admiration.

>She saves the day by her wit and ability,
You can't honestly say that 'saving the day' is a Mary Sue trait, especially for a main character. By the logic, every character in every story ever written is a little bit of a 'Mary Sue.' And even in one of your definitions, NOT saving the day is a Mary Sue trait. It's meaningless.

Really, this whole argument that Twilight is a Mary Sue makes no sense to me. Twilight has had entire episodes where her flaws have caused her harm or trouble. Twilight has had entire episodes where people call her stupid and shit on her. Even in episodes where she takes a side role, she has moments where she fucks up and makes the situation worse. Yes, Twilight is magically powerful, but you can't use 'being good at something' as your metric for whether or not someone is a bad character. Every character in the show is good at something, sometimes overwhelmingly, Twilight is not unique in that regard.
>>
>>30837346
>Sunset Shimmer
Until EqG gets officially canonized i.e no tweets, mentioned in the show outside of a cameo that even EqG discredits by mentioning they're not the same, you can't use Shimmer

>How else is someone supposed to save the day? And the show goes out of it's way to show everyone being involved.
That just part of it, it doesn't mean that it's always true

>She has talent and potential, her abilities grow steadily throughout the series, and in the very beginning she isn't a whole lot stronger than any other unicorn.
She was much stronger than any unicorn filly once the sonic rainboom happened.

>>30837352
>Except that's not true. Twilight graduated at the same time as everyone else in her class. She is probably the smartest person, but again, that doesn't make her a Mary Sue.
Once again, part of it, doesn't always make it true.

>Which is why all of the first episode is spent on the mane 5 shitting on her repeatedly
No one ragged on Twilight until one line from part two.

>Rainbow Dash: And just what are the Elements of Harmony? And how did you know about Nightmare Moon, huh? Are you a spy? Whoa!
And AJ quickly put Dash down a peg.
>Or why they continually doubt things she says or ignore her completely?
Literally never happens in s1 opener.

>They treat her exactly the same as they do each other. None of the mane five treat Twilight with over the top respect or admiration.
Now they do, but when Twilight got there, there is whole scenes in S1 opener where they admire some part of Twilight, and They even follow her into the Everfree, despite their fears of the place.

>Really, this whole argument that Twilight is a Mary Sue makes no sense to me.
Of course it make no sense. Because the people who try to apply it Twilight, only does so because she got wings. There have been several times where Twilight was the sole savior of an episode before her wings, done feats of absolute bullshit, and other things that I'm too tired to point out.
>>
>>30837405
>Literally never happens in s1 opener.
This is my fault. I meant in other episodes, because the point I'm trying to make is that none of the mane five think that Twilight is this super awesome, amazing pony that they absolutely have to be friends and tell all their friends and she's so cool and magical and oh my god. None of them are overwhelmed with admiration for her, and think she's just a completely average pony. So what if they were nice to her when she first showed up? They weren't tripping over themselves to make her happy, they just treated her like a normal fucking pony, and in every other episode, that's how she's been treated.

>No one ragged on Twilight until one line from part two.
Rainbow and Pinkie, at the very least, hassled her. Rainbow tackled her into a puddle of mud and laughed at her, Pinkie threw a party at her house without her permission. And Celestia telling her to make some friends also counts. But that's beside the point.

>Of course it make no sense.
If we both agree that Twilight isn't a Mary Sue, what are we even arguing for?
>>
>>30837468
>If we both agree that Twilight isn't a Mary Sue, what are we even arguing for?
I just responded to someone who was just using the word to hate on Twicorn, and defending my stance that, if one part of Twilight is a mary sue, then she's always been one, even if I don't think that. Also I was wrong about literally never happens. AJ thought Twilight was spitting bullshit, but only after they got their elements. Anyway, I'm going to bed, night.
>>
>>30837518
Good night, friend. Have a nice rest.
>>
File: 1d735df9c80d7f9e202bd80ea6d90d45.jpg (137KB, 736x1040px) Image search: [Google]
1d735df9c80d7f9e202bd80ea6d90d45.jpg
137KB, 736x1040px
>>30837062
>He hates that best pony can actually kick ass
Bitch, that was part of the reason I actually took to her character, aesthetics aside. She may be a lady and she may use her wiles, wits, and creativity to get ahead, but she ain't afraid to throw down if its an option.
>>
>>30833098
>>30837675
>She knows martial arts
Has this been acknowldged since S2?
>>
File: almondsactivatinginyellowfbx.jpg (30KB, 1400x800px) Image search: [Google]
almondsactivatinginyellowfbx.jpg
30KB, 1400x800px
>>30837693
Has anypony not named Twilight/Glimmer done actual fighting since S2?
>>
>>30837715
Well, there was Daring Do and her jump kick in that one episode, but I guess that's expected of an adventurer in a "storybook" tale.
>>
>>30837098
Moondancer
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.