[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In the upcoming movie the "Mane 6" will be officially

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 3

In the upcoming movie the "Mane 6" will be officially labeled as "The Guardians of Harmony" as a means to associate the preexisting toy brand to actual media.
>>
File: 1503867493435.png (617KB, 4000x3250px) Image search: [Google]
1503867493435.png
617KB, 4000x3250px
>>30812460
ok.
>>
>>30812460
I wouldn't be surprised.
>>
>>30812460
I really doubt it.
>>
>>30812552
So you're a parent who hasn't seen a single episode and are taking your kids to see the movie. The princess announces the arrival of the heroes of the story and they refer to them as "The Mane 6". You say "huh, I haven't heard of that before, it doesn't sound very heroic and I don't get it"...

Except it doesn't happen that way. The princess announces the arrival of "The Guardians of Harmony" and you say "oh that's not only interesting but I've seen that name in the toy aisle before." And there you go buying up those unpopular Cheese Sandwich cannon sets that have been sitting on shelves for over a year.
>>
>>30812460
So? That doesn't mean you or anyone else can't still call them the Mane 6
>>
>>30812576
Pretty much this. Also, they have never been labeled as the "Mane 6" in the show, why would they use that name in the movie?
>>
>>30812460
>GoHfags still delusional about "muh EPIK ACTION show"
>>
>>30812576
Why did cheese sell so poorly?
>>
File: 1498664998661.jpg (19KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1498664998661.jpg
19KB, 300x300px
>>30812751
Probably not very marketable to little girls, and most people won't know who he is unless they've watched the show consistently.
>>
>>30812751
The toy and which audience they're trying to attract is...confusing

Most little girls wouldn't touch a tank, and boys have tons of tank options to choose from.

It's too early for this kind of shit. We're going there, sure, but still too early
>>
>>30812852
>>30812751
Not recognIzable enough, only Cheese and the Wonderbolts didn't sell. Even Big Spike sold more and he cost like $60.
>>
Hasbro is getting there with toy quality but their marketing is off. Plus fans are really divided on what they want. For blind bags no one bought Flim or Flam, Mr Cake, or most of the Nightmare Night minis (Applejack's candy stand, clown costume Mayor Mare, chicken Pinkie, etc...). Cheese is pretty much a one-shot character so even though he's a "boy pony" not many girls would give a fuck.
>>
>>30812751
Do we have any sales numbers? I'd like to see what sold what.
>>
>>30813110
Go into any TRU, Target or Walmart and see what didn't sell. Hell, go on Hasbro's online shop and see the massively discounted stock they have clogging their inventory. If anything I'm surprised the GoHWonderbolts one didn't sell. It was awesome. Fans of the comic must have been disappointed it didn't look like Fagsitt drew it and were expecting a giant cookie.
>>
>>30813075
The Apple Family stuff never sells.
>>
>>30813110
Guardians of Harmony first wave stuff generally came out around November of last year. I never saw anything but Cheese Sandwich/Wonderbolts in stock past like, February. Even Big Spike and Shining Armor sold.
>>
the problem hasbro's struggling with is that ONLY the mane six (and spike) seem to sell for GOH stuff; the boys aren't really invested in non-mane six characters.
As such, hasbro is kind of treading a mine field for GOH toys when they try and sell toys of non-mane six stuff, since pretty much everyone not named Chrysalis, spike or one of the six sold poorly.
On the other hand, they can pick pretty much ANY pony for a normal brushable and be fairly sure it'll sell.

With brushables they have hundreds of different toys they can make then, but with GOH, they're going to have to redo the mane six everytime they want a new set, like how they have a pirate mane six set now-- and giving the mane six a new gimmick for each new set of GOH they release is kind of going to be hard without a constant stream of new power ups.
>>
>>30815196
>the problem hasbro's struggling with is that ONLY the mane six (and spike) seem to sell for GOH stuff

Shining Armor sold well.
>>
>>30815204
he was an outlier-- Wonderbolts, shadowbolt, cheese sandwhich sold crappily.

Pointing out that its a minefield figuring out Which characters outside the group will sell-- Wonderbolts are popular with the fandom as a whole, and yet sold badly; shadowbolts are popular with the fandom as a whole too, and yet sold poorly as well.
its alot more dangerous making GOH toy decisions than with brushables.
>>
>>30815230
Shining Armor was in more than one episode, _and_ was cheap compared to the rest of those. Big Spike sold well because well, it is a giant dragon. It would sell well as a toy regardless of MLP.

Shadowbolts were in one episode, too.
>>
>>30815230
This.

Remember that the show is the primary advertising vector for these characters. Shining Armor has been in quite a few episodes, and has done some (to kids) pretty awesome stuff:
>BTFO changelings
>Helped hold back and defeat Sombra
>Stood up and gave it his best shot when a soul-sucking centaur came to town
>Helped hold everything together when his wife gave birth to an apocalyptic abomination
Plus his toy was cheap, AND came with some good-looking armor (that we've seen on the show!) to boot. That's some pretty strong selling points all around.

In contrast, the Wonderbolts... well, I love 'em, but they've really gotten the short straw in terms of selling points. They haven't ever really helped in any of the premieres or finales, get needlessly retconned into jerks half the time, and their booster things are completely absent in the show. Even if we got S1/2-era bro-bolts in the show constantly fuck I miss them so badly they still wouldn't have as many action-moments to base selling an action-toy on.
>>
>>30815363
>>
>>30817441
GoH is now based on the movie. I wonder who will sell best.
>>
>>30812460
The GoH is dead, Jim. It just served as a medium to sell toys based on comic stories. Nothing else. Its dead as much as entire Rainbow Power bullshit.
>>
>>30818105
Is that why it has a ton of Movie merch and was among the best selling toys last year?
>>
>>30818198
what evidence do you even have?
>>
>>30818210
Amazon sales.
>>
The pirate toys are pretty slick. I like the extra accessories. I also like the fact that the GoH figures have show-accurate pet figs.
>>
the pirate toys are in a good spot in that they're equally viable as little girls toys and boys toys; girls like pirates too, and its not like they're grimacing angrily like the other GOH toys.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.