[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When writing a story, one would aspire to have it populated with

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: image(167).jpg (49KB, 493x800px) Image search: [Google]
image(167).jpg
49KB, 493x800px
When writing a story, one would aspire to have it populated with believable characters that the audience would hope to enjoy. To do that you flesh out their personalities and give them traits, flaws, and motivations that makes them distinct as an individual.

So, in light of this, how does one avoid the Applejack problem? Why does a number of the board view her as insufferably boring? Applejack clearly has a personality, that of an honest hardworker farmer that's family oriented and keeps her friends grounded. She has flaws, as she's wont to act stubborn, pigheaded, and blunt on occasion. Not much going for motivation this current season compared to other characters, but this issue had its roots in the show's earliest periods. Why then has she failed to make a strong lasting impression on some people?
>>
>>30793694
It's mainly on how the writers mistreat Applejack as a character. She has potential (like all other characters) but is shoved away or given a shit treatment from time to time.
>>
File: sfd.png (368KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
sfd.png
368KB, 1280x853px
I like how her flaw is that she is too eager to please others, at the cost of own well being sometimes. Which is true ever since season 1.

Problem is that some idiots think that it not a flaw at all. How could helping too much ever be a problem, they ask themselves.
>>
>>30793694
The "background pony" meme isn't really a meme, AJ could have plenty of good episodes, but the writers seem hellbent on making sure the only significant thing she does on screen is fix some plumbing.
>>
>>30793694
She's already reached her apex as a character, there's no room for development, cause she'll always *stay* the family oriented farmer who's reached her goal in life. She won't open another farm, focus on something other than family or display any other interests than farmwork. What little she did regarding rodeo has been forgotten and the one flaw she has is that she's stubborn on occasion, which isn't a particularly interesting thing to milk cause it can only lead to her relenting control eventually.
>>30793760
And this thing pretty much never comes up.
>>
>>30793694
I really don't get why people over analyze characters and pick out their flaws I like the characters and their flaws and don't really care much.
>>
>>30793694
She doesn't have an arc. She doesn't have development. Not in the slightest, just some random lessons being learned once a couple of seasons. For everyone else in M5, there has been at least one episode in which they are faced with a pre-existing character flaw of their own, forced to maybe not fix it instantly, but acknowledge it and try to get rid of it, i.e., DEVELOP:

Fluttershy - Putting Your Hoof Down, It Ain't Easy Being Breezies
Twilight - Lesson Zero, It's About Time
Rainbow - Wonderbolt Academy, Rainbow Falls, MMDW
Pinkie - A Friend In Deed, Pinkie Pride, Rock Solid Friendship
Rarity - Suited For Success, Rarity Takes Manhattan
Applejack - ???? (the closest I can think of is Applebuck Season which is one of the very first fucking episodes)
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.