[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have you guys rewatched season 1 recently? I just rewatched

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 8

File: 1437584916964.gif (341KB, 240x225px) Image search: [Google]
1437584916964.gif
341KB, 240x225px
Have you guys rewatched season 1 recently?

I just rewatched it in its entirety for the first time since I got on the ride back in 2011. To be honest, it's not as good as we often times hold it up to be. Don't get me wrong, I like it, but it feels more liek it's just 'good'. I think the reason we view it in such a light is because, when it first came out, it was surprisingly good considering the franchise it came from. I believe that is why we view it in such a high regard.

I've gotten more enjoyment out of some of the more recent seasons, and season 7, than I did out of rewatching season 1.

Thoughts?
>>
>>30734967
How DARE you say season 1 isn't perfect!
LITERALLY EVERYTHING PAST SEASON 2 IS SHIT YOU DISGUSTING HASDRONE!
>>
>>30734967
I should probably continue by saying there are some 'best of the show' episodes in season 1-2. I'm talking in generalities rather than specific episodes or characters.
>>
>>30734967
I usually rewatch all the seasons during the hiatus. I never changed my opinion about the old seasons. I think it's just that your taste has changed.
>>
>>30734967
>we
>we
>we
Stop that.
>but it feels more liek it's just 'good'
I agree. I think that season one falls below 2,5 and 7 in terms of quality. However, it's also my favorite season. The scenarios presented, the character building, the way the characters interact with the world around themselves are much more entertaining to me. To be honest, when I go back and watch Season 1, it feels like I'm watching a totally different show.
>>
>>30734967
I did 2 month ago. Basically first seasons were slower and had less dynamic, but I think this is what made them memorable and gave them the charm.
If you watch the show for fun then recent seasons are what you need, if you watch it to escape reality and dream about comfy as fuck magic horse world then there is nothing that would replace season 1.
>>
File: large.png (268KB, 1043x725px) Image search: [Google]
large.png
268KB, 1043x725px
>>30734967
Well, I would say that anything is best the first time around, and since the newer episodes are newer, they're still more fresh and what not. I'm happy you're being critical of how good season 1 actually is though. /mlp/ loves to hold 1 and 2 on a high pedistal and it's nice to see it be questioned. Honestly, season 7 is kicking ass right now. I would still say that 1+2 were great seasons, but to make it seem as if they are absolutely unparalleled isn't necessarily the case.

Also, sorry for shitty grammar.
>>
File: 132622904077.png (208KB, 1000x833px) Image search: [Google]
132622904077.png
208KB, 1000x833px
>>30735052
>If you watch the show for fun then recent seasons are what you need, if you watch it to escape reality and dream about comfy as fuck magic horse world then there is nothing that would replace season 1.

>mfw we could very easily have both if not for retarded decisions.
>>
>>30734967
But it SURE AS HELL IT AS A LOT BETTER THAN seasons 2-7, anonymous.
>>
>>30734967
I rewatch all seasons frequently and S1&2 still hold up really well for me. It's the charming show I fell in love with, and the only season to pass it for me since has been season 5.
>>
>>30734967
Better than season 7.
>>
File: what did you fucking say.png (779KB, 1437x783px) Image search: [Google]
what did you fucking say.png
779KB, 1437x783px
>>30734967
I disagree.
>>
>>30734967
> It's another "Oi, season 01 wasn't as good as we thought so we can all agree that the current season is pure gold and we all can stop critcrizing the staff now" thread.
>>
I like season 1 because it has a different feeling from the rest of the show. I don't know what it is? The animation? The script? Regardless, something about it is different and I liked that something.
>>
>>30735403
Did you even read the OP?
>>
>>30735403
Season 1 isn't good though. People forget how badly the CMC and Spike were written and how 1 dimensional fluttershy and pinkie pie were. Applejack was pretty 1 dimensional too, but that would imply she improves in later seasons.
>>
>>30734967
>It's a Hasbro shill pretends to be a regular Anon episode.
>>
File: Your Tears.gif (298KB, 308x373px) Image search: [Google]
Your Tears.gif
298KB, 308x373px
>>30735497
>my opinions are facts
Of course they are, Lee.
>>
>>30734967
In the same boat OP, I've also recently been rewatching it for the first time since I got on the ride in early 2012. I started about a month ago and have been going about it slowly. I'm on Stare Master right now. It's not as exciting as I remember, and I think that's due in large part to not being new to the ride anymore. There aren't a bunch of references and fandom memes to catch, episodes aren't being watched for the first time. I haven't watched the eps in so long but I remember how they all end.

I am enjoying rediscovering all the little scenes and lines of dialogue I forgot, though. One thing I've noticed: Ashleigh Ball kind of flipped her Applejack and Rainbow Dash. Applejack's voice used to be higher-pitched and sugary, and Rainbow Dash's voice was deeper and more tomboyish. I really noticed it while watching Sonic Rainboom.
>>
>>30734967
The pilot continues to make me cringe and the finale will never be anything but boring, but everything in-between is still as good as I remember. The show just becomes more and more hit and miss from there as the staff didn't know what to do with us.

Season 1 and 2 were good because they weren't trying to be.
>>
File: 1502566010933.png (9KB, 872x503px) Image search: [Google]
1502566010933.png
9KB, 872x503px
>>30734967
Season 5-7 are pure shit.
>>
>>30734967
I rewatched them and thought they were just as good, and in some cases even better than what I remembered.
>>
File: 1474201114258.gif (181KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
1474201114258.gif
181KB, 500x700px
>>30734967
I've noticed it too. Aside from the really good episodes of S1, I have trouble understanding exactly how I managed to like it back then. Compared to the kind of episodes I've come to expect from recent seasons, S1 can't even compare.

I guess the show has matured a lot. S1, even though at the time it was considered to be a huge step forward from what was expected from MLP, was still much more of a children's cartoon and much more afraid to leave that behind. From somewhere in the middle of S2 onward, the show established itself as just a cartoon, and not a children's cartoon, if that makes sense.
>>
>>30737141
>I guess the show has matured a lot.
More than maturing, the show has simply gone rotten to the core.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.