[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Starlight Glimmer really **that** bad of a character? What

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 14

File: Glimmy Disgusted.png (241KB, 549x595px) Image search: [Google]
Glimmy Disgusted.png
241KB, 549x595px
Is Starlight Glimmer really **that** bad of a character? What did she ever do to you?
Somepony give me an honest answer.
>>
>implying glimmerfags post outside their containment.
>>
>>30671332
She's alright, I enjoy her character and most of her episodes. People blow the hate for her out of proportion for memes. The glimspammer doesn't help the situation either.
>>
>>30671345
Neither does the poochinigger
>>
>>30671332
it's the main character Sheridan wanted from the start

now,the key word here is main.Starlight wasn't supposed to be one when the Cutie Map was written back then.This explains why the awkward transition and the place her VA wanted to have in the show.
>>
>>30671332
She was the best villain bar Discord.
The buildup throughout S5 for the entire multiverse shit was crazy, her making a cameo stalking the M6 in like every other episode; that's interesting. But her instantly being redeemed is kinda low. Problem is that if it was anyone other than Twilight(another princess or some high government official) she'd be locked away for her entire fucking life like she deserves.

It would've made more sense if she just got shipped off with Sunburst, but her living with Twilight isn't TERRIBLE, but it's not good either. I don't mind her character either, a recovering sociopath or whatever the fuck she is, it's a new dynamic for the show.
>>
>>30671332
Cutie Map is the best two parter in the show, but her redemption in the finale was weak and she hasn't been utilized in the right ways.

If the show writers did something ambitious like giving the CMC a major role in the two parter and used their views on cutie marks to contrast Glimmers and help to make a redemption that involved her retaining her philosophy but not using it for evil, then it would have been a 10/10 redemption.
>>
>>30671332

She's better than Rainbow Dash.
>>
>>30671332
Her backstory made her look like a petty, childish bitch.
>>
>>30671388
Nice dubs ampersand thanks for the honest response unlike what's come out of these degenerate anti-glimmerfag mouths I see so frequently. I do agree she has a few mental disorders that you've highlighted.
>>30671437
>CMCs should play a role in maintaining Glimmy's past communist tendancies to 'not use for evil' lmao like communism could be used for good

Kill yourself senpai
>>
>>30671590
That's it? I mean yeah, it's shit, but she has more character than her trajik separation with Sunburst.
>>
>>30671332
Starlight Glimmer is a very likeable character.
She's grown on me a great deal since her first episode, but I have to acknowledge her biggest flaw, and it's something that gives a lot of credibility to the argument that she's a "Mary Sue":

Starlight Glimmer doesn't fail.

Twilight? She's failed many times during the show. She perseveres and comes out on top in the end, but she's failed. It gives her character depth, makes her more real. Starlight doesn't fail, not really; She uses her magic to solve everything, and even if her magic creates problems these problems either work out in her favour or fix themselves.

>Uses magic to bottle up her emotions to hide them from Trixie.
>Magic eventually manifests in other ponies and tells Trixie the truth, thus fixing the problem.

>Uses magic to mind-control her friends.
>No actual repercussions for mindrape, instead there's an awkward apology and the episode ends with them chilling on the roof of the castle laughing as if nothing happened.

>Uses magic to switch the cutie marks of the Princesses, despite at this point knowing that she shouldn't be using magic to solve everything.
>The Princesses work things out from there and become closer as a result, and the fact that Starlight tampered with the Cutie Marks of the ruling diarchy is forgiven and forgotten.

She just doesn't fail. Nothing she's done has stuck yet, other than her being a villain which still can't really be described as a failure because she succeeded in brain-washing a town and ruling it (it was just a morally bankrupt thing to do).
This gives credence to the claims that she's a Mary Sue. She gets along with everyone, is apparently better at magic than the Element of Magic herself, she's forgiven for everything, has a "tragic past", and her sudden injection into the show is somewhat jarring (though personally I don't mind that much).

It's understandable that people don't like her. I do, I'd just like her to fuck up for real every now and then.
>>
>>30671643
>fuck up
>little girl's show
dream bigger lad.
>>
>>30671643
She fails constantly, are you really mad that the episodes get resolved at the end?
>>
>>30671668
brohoof /)
>>
The one scene that got me was when she made a cake instantly.

Friggen Ms. Cake was working on one, which is basically her special talent. Glimmer makes one in less than 5 seconds, and Ms. Cake gets rightfully mad.

What's the point in having special talents if some other pony really good in an unrelated field can be infinitely better than you at your own game without any effort? It practically breaks the whole show.
>>
>>30671768
OMG YES
>>
>>30671768
More of a problem with unicorns in general.
They are very clearly the master race.
>>
>>30671332
She's a Mary Sue. But what's worse is she didn't start as one. She was an interesting villain because she wasn't an ancient immortal evil. She was just an ordinary pony. A background pony that was an actual threat to all of Equestria.

When she was reformed, its like the old Starlight was replaced by this doppelganger who is a Mary Sue.

I want to see her in an episode where she thinks she's right but she's making the situation worse. Other ponies tell her to stop but she doesn't listen. Eventually she gets in over her head and is needed to be bailed out by the other characters. Unless something like that happens, she is Sue.
>>
>>30671859
this desu senpai
>>
>>30671768
It must be hard having to type using your hooves
Mudpony
>>
File: 1.jpg (657KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
657KB, 720x960px
>>30671605
She had more personality as a villain. Confident, intelligent and passionate. She was also very controlling. When she was reformed, her personality was bleached. Just cause her motives changed didn't mean DHX had to change her personality.
>>
File: YourWaifuAshit.png (246KB, 1600x732px) Image search: [Google]
YourWaifuAshit.png
246KB, 1600x732px
Name one being in the entire fucking show that dislikes glimmer, other than Chrysalis.
Even fucking ANGEL loved her instantly.

>>30671859
Except most unicorns are only ever good at things related to their special talant or basic levitation.
Being good at literally everything using magic was something previously reserved for Twilight, who was established to do almost literally nothing but study magic while having a cutie mark for magic while also being a chosen oneā„¢ for magic and then on top of that being the main protagonist before they shifted the show to a less rigid format.
>>
>>30671961
You mean like eltsd?
>>
>>30672016
No. Not like Every Little Thing.
>>
>>30672037
It's exactly what you described though.
I don't see where you'recoming from because she's constantly fucking up and being wrong.
>>
>>30671332
I know one thing, Starlight is not appealing enough for all the attention she's given in the show. Hell, she's been the focus for two years already and she's still getting less fanart than Trixie and Sunset every month
>>
>>30672085
A decent point.
>>
File: starlight glimmer.jpg (403KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
starlight glimmer.jpg
403KB, 1920x1080px
Glimmy isn't a bad character, she is just misunderstood
>>
>>30672085
it's funny because despite pushing her,ends up being the most anti commercial main character of the bunch
>>
File: 1429675792970.jpg (183KB, 640x574px) Image search: [Google]
1429675792970.jpg
183KB, 640x574px
>>30671332
She's bland and boring after reformation. She lost all her fun character traits like being "bossy" or convincing manipulator. She just turned into Shimmer clone and writers try to make her likable by befrineding Trixie, Discord and Maud or by saving Celestias relationship with her sister.

She's just annoying and should have been used less often in the episodes just like Zecora since she has no appeal whatsoever.
>>
File: Disgusted Applejack.gif (455KB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
Disgusted Applejack.gif
455KB, 300x169px
>>30671332
>Somepony
>>
>>30671332
She's really not relatable.

Her backstory was not realtable as we would never became villaisn just because some childhood friend moved out.

Her adulthood was not relatable since we would never form a cult and brainwash other people or we would never forget about our families and cut off from our life.

Her redemption was not relatable as her reasoning was stupid from the get go.

Her episodes are not relatable, she's either doing nothing and react to things around her or she does the stupidest decisions since Spike in Owls Well. She's just unoriginal, unlikable, unrelatable and a very much a "creators pet" which is ironic as they are too full of themselves to realise that their character is shit and they don't help her getting better.
>>
>>30671995
I would love to see Glimmer acting like this comic.
Being more playfull and dominative rather than acting like bitchslapped ex villain who can't get over a fact that they made a mistake in the past. Discord went over it pretty fast but Glimmer always just act as much passive a she can get. Especially in episodes with Maud, Sunburst or Mane6. She only emoted a bit in All bottle up and only because she became furious for 3 seconds.

I want her to be smug like pre refomration
I want her to be charismatic like pre reformation
I want her to be a smartass and cocky like pre reformation
I want her to slap Sunburst ass and make him her bitch.
>>
>>30672085
Thats because her friends are more interesting than the blank slate that she became. The only thing we know about her is that she likes kites.
>>
>>30672269
>The only thing we know about her is that she likes kites.
maybe she's ISTP, pretends to have different personalities and hides herself in a shell

the things that you can find in her likeable are the exact same ones things that she could truly like
>>
>>30671768
This. She's a Mary Sue to the core.
>>
>>30672269
If the only thing her fans are looking forward is shipping with Trixie then you know that her character is too boring for anything else.
>>
>>30671332
She's shit that simple.
You easily triggered snowflake.
>>
>>30671332
As the rest of the thread should have made clear by now, not only is Glimmer a bad character, she's literally the worst possible character imaginable.

She's literally someone's crappy Mary Sue special snowflake fanfic character.

So yes, she is that bad.
>>
>>30672570
>the worst possible character imaginable
then,analyze it better
to be the worst is something worth to study coldly,not to meme because of catalog raids and impulsive reactions against tuem
>>
>>30671332
Because at least Nyxfags know when they're spamming
>>
>>30671961
>I want to see her in an episode where she thinks she's right but she's making the situation worse. Other ponies tell her to stop but she doesn't listen.
>It then turns out that every episode up until this point was a fever dream where she thought she was making things better, but in reality other ponies were cleaning up her messes constantly
I could dig that sort of thing real hard.
>>
>>30672073
Its one thing to fuck up with consequences. Its another thing to fuck up but have the out come be completely dandy.
>>
>>30672266
You can't because then, you'd have another Trixie. When you think about it, Trixie should have been Twilight's student from becoming a princess. Starlight should never have existed and Trixie should have been the friendship student.
>>
>>30671332

She encouraged all the glimglamspam.
>>
>>30672917
that's the version most faggots want you to hear
>>
>>30672917

Actually people being triggered encouraged it.

Otherwise it'd be nearly dead and be a weekly thing at best.
>>
File: 1383932091284.jpg (78KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1383932091284.jpg
78KB, 640x480px
>>30672934
>muh ebil false flaggers
>a-anti glam autists!!1
every time
>>
>>30672934
>>30672975
At least I admit when I falseflag
>>
>>30672977
>>30672986
oh well,have fun and a nice spam day then
>>
>>30671332
I don't hate her for being a shitty over-powered Twiight rip off, or because she was simply redeemed.

I hate her because she didn't need to become that.

And I certainly don't hate her as much as the reason why she became that.
>>
>>30672236
>Zecora has no appeal
You take that back right now
>>
File: mane8.png (816KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
mane8.png
816KB, 1280x720px
>>30672916
Discord was originally planned to be Twilights student and even "get the throne" one day after S4. But after Meghans left, Haber and Vogel decided to make new OC and cloned Sunset Shimmer. If not for them we would have more Discord development episodes and him befriending Trixie, CMC and Maud
>>
>>30673217
i was reffering to Glimmer
>>
>>30672889
She gets quite roughly scolded for it then has to go and clean everything up, what more do you expect.
>>
>>30671332
>What did she ever do to you?

Got my dick hard a bunch, gave me many a great fap
>>
>>30671388
This is kinda how I feel as well too. I don't hate her but I don't really like her either. She is just there. If we could get some more backstory o her her between the time of her childhood and her cult,that would be nice and give her more depth.

Given her sociopathic ways before her reformation I feel as though she was involved in some questionable dealings with Magic.
>>
>>30671332
Incoming wall of text, i hope you're ready to read.While i certainly don't outright hate Starlight, i cannot say that i like her either.Probably my biggest problem with her is is how she seems to be a no pun intended one trick pony.For reference, post-reformation :

>Twilight is out of town, i need to learn more about friendship.
>I can't be assed to listen to everyone's feelings and preferences, i want everything and i want it now, nice and simple.Lemme just USE MY MAGIC TO brainwash everyone in the room to listen to ME instead.

Turned out horribly, i don't think i need to remind you of the nightmare fuel body horror bug infested Fluttershy.

>Trixie is being a massive fucking cunt, but i don't want to tell her to dial it back a notch because i don't want to hurt her feelings.
>I'l just USE MY MAGIC TO literally bottle up my negative emotions in a weak, fragile, easily broken GLASS container and bring it with me, what could go wrong?

Once again complete fucking trainwreck.Glass jar breaks, cloud of emotions breaks free and causes a massive shitstorm with not one but three complete strangers, who can't even be shrugged off with the usual "Oh it's just the other Mane 6 they'll get over it" clause.

>Butt Pager Map calls me to the Capitolium, and i have to figure out what the two biggest fucking cunts who rule the land are bitching about and this is coming from a massive Lunautist mind you again.
>Shit doesn't look good, they are about to blow a gasket, lemme just USE MY MAGIC to swap their talents and potentially their fates for 24 hours.

Granted that was a gut-check reaction in the heat of the moment, and for ONCE in the end it turned out pretty good, but as the saying goes : The exception empowers the clause.

To be continued.
>>
Continued from >>30673332

It's a massive glaring issue on how out of ideas the writers are on what to do with her.She saved the fucking world for Sunbutt's sake, Twilight literally admitted that some friendship lessons Starlight could teach to HER about.Her real character arc, however rushed and hodgepodge it was has ended, at this point she's just as superflouos as Twilicorn became after Tirek, but as stated by another anon before, her VA and her creator really want to push her as the potential Green Ranger bonus points to those who get the reference. but it's clear she's not cut out to be yet, and with these set of writers, she won't be. She needs better scenarios, and REALLY hammer in the point of NOT USING HER FUCKING MAGIC TO SOLVE HER PROBLEMS. She's not inherently a bad character, she just came in WAY too late to the show, breaks up the Mane 6 dynamic way more than Twilicorn broke it up and she seems to be forced way too hard with way too little substance.Starlight deserves better.

..........and then there are the fucking autistic cunts on this board who make bullshit spam threads and push out legitimately good threads and shitty generals with 40 thousand contentless bumps , that certainly helps people be and stay vitriolic towards her.
>>
>>30673336
So to you she's not the problem as much as how she's used, and better scenarios for her would make a better character out of her. Correct?
>>
>>30673536
Pretty much the same could be said of any character.A character is just a proxy for ideas be it scenarios or interactions to be conveyed through.Fuck that up and you risk making your character be hated.
>>
>>30673579
That's true. She seemed to work out pretty well in the S6 finale which negated all magic. Big complaint there was the deer looking changelings at the end more than anything else. More like that would probably be okay if they could negate the use of magic some other way.
>>
>>30673598
Indeed, my pet peeve of the S6 finales was how they failed to listen to Thorax's hints, and ideas most of the time until shit hit the fan. Dickscord ignored him three times when he wanted to tell him about the anti-magic zone on the hive perimeter...and the technicolor grey deer certainly was not helping...

Worse yet is that they kept that weird high-pitched half-gay voice for him in the S7 premiere...Thorax was a total bro before the finale's climax.
>>
>>30673616
>grey deer

Fucking hell, i meant to type gay deer...this stupid roof building job tired me out more than i thought.
>>
>>30671388
>instantly redeemed

Yeah this is the one thing i do hate about the show in general, all villiains that aren't outright destroyed or in the "pure evil" category coughsombracough, and tirek are treated as "misguided" and instantly forgiven and given a friendship curriculum kind of treatment. The Mane 6 put up with a LOT of Discord's shit in the past seasons yet "muh friendship", and Glimglam was no different...heck even Shimsham was no different in EqG1, "hold my hand and be good" fucking bullshit.
>>
>>30673666
>Shimsham was no different in EqG1, "hold my hand and be good" fucking bullshit.
Her Redemption has been handled the best so far. I hated her Heel Face turn at the end of EQG but her subsequent development.
>>
>>30673738
Don't get me wrong, i fucking love Sunnybunny in EqG2 and especially 3, but that doesn't excuse the running theme of "Get shot once instantly turn good" shtick of the entire show.
>>
>>30673771
>but that doesn't excuse the running theme of "Get shot once instantly turn good" shtick of the entire show.
I agree in that regard. I would have loved to have seen Glimmer make more substantial appearances during season one instead of sporadic cameos in the background.
>>
>>30671332
>Is Starlight Glimmer really **that** bad of a character?
yes
>What did she ever do to you?
ruin the show post "redemption"
>>
>>30674170
S6 SHOULD have been her doing one on one eps with the mane6 to LEARN about friendship
that was what the whole fucking speech Twilight gave in the S5 finale was about
>>
>>30673256
How about ponies being legit angry and frustrated at her while Starlight doesn't care because she's a sociopath? Oh wait, they can't do that because she doest have a personality anymore.
>>
>>30671354
>poochie
not a argument
>>
File: poni.jpg (18KB, 552x474px) Image search: [Google]
poni.jpg
18KB, 552x474px
>>30672247
>once told me the world was gonna roll me
>I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed
>>
>>30674215
For me, Starlight's story arc ended when she reunited with Sunburst. After that, she should have been treated as a recring Zecora type character. But instead, she's pushed as the seventh ranger but the writers don't know what to do with her. Even when she was about to graduate from Twilight, she refused. Now she's just there with no clear story arc.

I am expecting some dumb bullshit where she is placed in a role of importance for no good reason in the future because of Royal Problem. The writers made it clear that the map can call Starlight. They wanted to establish that and they're gonna use it.
>>
>>30674485
I want to see the map call on the CMC or some one else, to prove that it can call on any pony that happens to fit the criteria to solve that friendship problem
the only reason so far as to why the map called on Starlight, is because she fucked with its magic
>>
>>30673246
That would actuallt be interesting if Dscord was the student. Since when HE was reformed he didn't lose his personality. Although I don't think Hasbro can make Discord toys appealing to little gurls.
>>
do you think Glimmerfags would read this?
it blows my mind that you don't face it in their general,there's a reason they exist

also,all of this should be contained

>>30671338
first post is the best post
>>
>>30673336
Even if Starlight always relied on her magic, I woud've been ok if she was a megalomaniac about. Like she had a sinister evil laugh whenever she uses her magic to "help" ponies.

Remember she became a super villain because she over reacted at Sunburst leaving her? Why didn't the writers bank on that? I think it would be funny if she over reacted on the most mundane things and you'd see other ponies feel uncomfortable around her. We could've had an Invader Zim of a pony.
>>
File: citation needed.png (47KB, 2400x259px) Image search: [Google]
citation needed.png
47KB, 2400x259px
>>30673246
>>
Her original character was a great villain, a sociopath who was willing to go to the most extremes to be right and win. Twilight slapped her into her place and instead of being winked out of existence by a more powerful unicorn, she did what any sociopath would do, cow to the stronger person until they found a way to break them.

There's still hope in my heart that Starlight will pull a 180 and fuck everyone, bringing back her original characteristics and self which would make for a great long con story arc for her. It would also save her non-existent personality and make an excuse for why she is literally nothing character-wise past her mistakes and magic.
>>
>>30671604
Think he is referring more to Glimmers views on cutie marks as opposed to the communist aspect of it.
>>
>>30674697
>There's still hope in my heart that Starlight will pull a 180 and fuck everyone, bringing back her original characteristics and self which would make for a great long con story arc for her. It would also save her non-existent personality and make an excuse for why she is literally nothing character-wise past her mistakes and magic.
That would make things a lot worse. There's nothing that she would gain from that.
>>
>>30674697
This was a theory a long time ago. Its too late now because of the events in S6 with Chrysalis. If Starlight just wanted to get rid of Twi and her friends, she would have just left them to Chrysalis.

If she were to fuck everyone now and say she's been pretending to be reformed the whole time, the motive is gone.
>>
>>30671332
She's perfect
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.