[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I still like the show Still think S6 and 7 are good but I don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 70
Thread images: 10

File: glimmyyyyy.jpg (7KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
glimmyyyyy.jpg
7KB, 250x250px
I still like the show
Still think S6 and 7 are good
but I don't like Starlight
anyone else on this board in the same situation? I feel like we're a subcategory of a subcategory by now

>inb4 "You can't like the show but not Glimmer, Glimmer IS the show hurr durr"
>>
>>30453449
The only reason why you don't like Starlight is because the fandom told you not to like her.
>>
File: 1494754664067.jpg (151KB, 750x942px) Image search: [Google]
1494754664067.jpg
151KB, 750x942px
>>30453449
I too feel the same way.
>>
>>30453449
She is pretty bad. Same with liking discord, i overall like him but his twilight episodes are shit. Itwould be better if they would go away along with glimmer
>>
>>30453451
Gas all Glimmerfags
>>
>>30453449
Glimmer was one of the reasons I dropped the show in S6. I barely come here nowadays.
>>
>>30453490
Stupid reason, glim a shit but seeing songco explore apples princesses or discord is worth enduring her mary sue face
>>
>>30453477
Bless all Glimmerfriends
>>
>>30453449
I'm with you mate, the episodes she isn't in, or at the least plays a small unnoticeable role are usually superb
>>
>>30453499
>>
>>30453449
>>30453499
Not only is this wrong, it's exactly wrong. SG's episodes have been the better ones of the season, which I like overall.

>>30453451
Correct opinion.
>>
>>30453449
>glimmyyyyyyyy
stupid poochienigger

just fucking give us ONE goddamn mod for this shit, jackie 4chan
>>
>>30453451
False.
Glimmerfags in denial.
>>
>>30453451
>>30454731
The funny part of not liking a character but at the sime time not hate them like a moron is that you piss off both fanboys and haters
>>
File: Transcending Happiness.png (429KB, 639x508px) Image search: [Google]
Transcending Happiness.png
429KB, 639x508px
>tfw you find something endearing to love in every character
>tfw you have a great time even during mediocre episodes
>>
>>30453451
The onlt reason why you like Starlight is because the fandom told you to like her.
>>
>>30453451
how can anyone be in this much denial, I don't like here because her character is shit and insufferable to watch her episodes are among the worst this series has ever made, the only times her episodes have even a shred of quality is when there are actually enjoyable characters in them like Trixie or Maud
>>
>>30455789
dont worry anon, im sure some other insufferable character will come along someday and you can be angry at them for not being more like starlight.

there must always be a character that you can blame everything on.
>>
>>30454888
>imagine being this autistic
I envy you.
>>
>>30455941
NAILED IT
>>
>>30455789
>how can anyone be in this much denial, I don't like here because her character is shit and insufferable to watch her episodes are among the worst this series has ever made, the only times her episodes have even a shred of quality is when there are actually enjoyable characters in them like Trixie or Maud
Well that's like, your opinion man.

I found all her episodes quite enjoyable and above average.
>>
>>30455941
wrong, if that happens there will just be two insufferable ponies I will be angry at, why the fuck would I want a pony to be more like Glimmer when I think she's shit anyway?

>>30456000
nice trips, and that's fine by me, I don't mind that others like her character, I just can't stand her, but if you like her I honestly hope you continue to
>>
>>30456000
Same. She's got the same magic Rarity has in that I like all of her episodes. Hers are some of the best of S7.
>>
>>30456147
>wrong
season 1, the CMC were insufferable characters and all their episodes ruined the show.
season 2, dash was an insufferable cunt and all her episodes ruined the show.
season 3-4, twilicorn was an insufferable mary sue and ruined the show forever.
season 5-7, starlight glimmer was an insufferable mary sue and ruined the show forever.

trust me, youll always find someone new to blame the ruined show on. less has changed here than people would like to imagine.
>>
Here's the explanation why Starlight is shit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yao7KAW9ICQ
>>
>>30457471
Or you could just write it out yourself. I'm not watching a video that's probably going to be stupid like everything else Glim haters post.

>>30456507
NAILED IT
>>
>>30453451
>>30455941
>>30456507
People can ignore the blatant poor writing and characterization until they're blue in the face, but it doesn't change them having shit taste. I kinda envy these people who can love the show in its current state.
>>
>>30457684
you did it in season 1 and 2 i presume.
>>
>>30457684
>can't refute the refutations
>repeats premise and throws in ad hominem

How utterly predictable.
>>
>>30457798
Anon, how can you even accuse me of such a thing? You know that a person can't watch or, dare I say, ENJOY a show without it being objectively flawless. How dare you even assume such things about me.

>>30457802
>The fandom is the reason people don't like Starlight
>There will always be things that "ruin" a show

How utterly boring.
>>
>>30457818
now im confused. the way you worded that first post you made it sound like you cant enjoy the show now due to poor writing and flaws, and then you respond with awareness that the show has always had poor writing and flaws?
>>
>>30457883
The magnitude of the flaws are very different here. Earlier seasons have plenty of flaws in the writing, comedy, animation, etc, but it was never enough to make me not want to watch.

Glimmer alone is a big enough problem that I dislike the current show, and then the poor characterization for the rest of the cast seals the deal, among other things.
>>
I never heard the word Poochie being thrown around when it comes to characters like Discord or Trixie
>>
Starlight is a manifestation of seasonal rot and the lack of original crew members. In the season 5 Premiere, she was great. She sounded like a 30+ year old mare who had spent her life studying cutie mark magic. Then for some reason with season 6 they aged her down, made her join the mane 6 and then put every bit of manpower they could into making her character and episodes stand out. This resulted in her being incredibly overpowered compared to Twilight who was playing with turning apples into oranges back in season 3.

It's simply the lack of modesty in how she's put into the show that really makes her feel like a bad addition. Season 6 was an absolute disaster when it came to normal mane 6 and CMC episodes and it felt like Glimmer took precedent above everything else. This left a very unbalanced season where Glimmer's episodes stood out not only by being a fresh new character but by also having the most care put into them. So now you have a split fandom where some people appreciated the care put into her, while others see it as an affront to the original characters.

It didn't help that there was just a sloppy use of the magic lore with Harry Potter spellcasting and making Starlight a master of all magic instead of a specific skillset like every other unicorn. Twilight was supposed to be the unique all encompassing magic user and Starlight completely took that spot away from her to the point where it takes away from Twilight's development throughout the series. In attempting to make Starlight fun an exciting, the writers overstepped their bounds and made magic completely inconsequential to the point where we just have to accept things like her being able to swap Celestia and Luna's cutie mark (which actually wouldn't be too bad if they had just stuck with her original character of being a master of cutie mark related magic). To me, it's just another thing to add to the pile along with the dead alicorn lore, twilicorn, discord, golden oaks, flurry heart, etc.
>>
>>30457893
its good you recognize they had flaws. some anons cant even do that.

earlier seasons were very safe. youre bound to have less extreme flaws when you take no risks in writing. they hardly had any characterization at the time to "ruin." they were very one-dimensional to the point you could sum each of them with a single word. needless to say thats really hard to fuck up.

i do believe they feel more like real characters now than ever before.

personally i like glimmer, what she brings to the world of lore, and her interactions with side characters. memes of her have been blown so far out of proportion with reality that its simply ludicrous to try to take it seriously. simply put this place has been infected with biased assholes. people who dont weigh the good and bad with the same scale. people who actually would rather the show become complete and total shit just so they can say i told you so.
the reason i can still enjoy the show is because i do weigh the good and bad with the same scale. i dont measure its merit based on what i wanted to happen as opposed to what actually happened. most importantly i go into each episode with an open and fresh mind.

in your opinion people like me just have shit taste, but at the end of the day thats more your problem than mine. it would behoove you to find a reason to enjoy the show rather than wallow in self pity about golden days lost.
>>
She's great, but her storyline so far has been really bad

I like her personality and slightly evil tendencies though
>>
>>30457967
>a specific skillset like every other unicorn.

It's pretty amusing that you're bitching about the lore when you can't even get it right. Twilight was a unicorn and her specialty was magic in general. There are apparently other unis like this. Your post is less shitty than most but is mostly just more bashing and 'muh headcanons' moaning.

>>30457981
This is correct, and I'd add that if the people bitching all the time had had their way, the show would have stagnated a long time ago and would not nearly been as good.
>>
>>30457967
the reason she aged down as you put it was because of the same reason you already stated. she sounded like a confident 30+ year old mare in her town. she was the leader for what had to be many years. she 'knew' beyond any shadow of a doubt that she was right. then at the end of season 5 she was shown she was wrong. very, very wrong. everything she believed in was torn away and she was left empty. can you even imagine? of course shes going to have absolutely no self confidence after that.

i doubt they tried really hard to make her episodes stand out. i think thats a side effect of people looking at her episodes through a microscope. following this id suggest gauntlet of fire and the saddle row review were easily the strongest episodes that season and neither had glimmer.

lore is sloppy in general. i doubt theres anyone with a vision everyone is following, and i also doubt all the writers have sat down together to establish how the world works. even if theyre not going to show every detail in the show it would be better if they were all working from the same mindset on how alicorns, magic, and so on works. what you end up with is episodes like secret of my excess.

starlights magic mastery seems to be over cutie mark magic in particular, but shes also adept at various other forms of magic much like twilight is a master of friendship magic and adept at various other types of magic. twilights special talent was in friendship, and friendship is magic. so in a roundabout way her talent is magic, but still not all magic. we still dont know what glimmers special talent is but it seems to be another form of magic besides friendship.

as an aside, twilight seems more like a classic wizard while glimmer seems more like a classic sorcerer.
>>
>>30457981
First off, f I had expected to have an actual conversation, then I wouldn't have initially generalized all of peoples' opinions as "shit taste," so apologies for that. With that out of the way...

I'd say that it's generally harder to write a character from the ground up than to simply stick to what was already established. I wouldn't say that characters were describable in just one word by the end of Season 1, or even by half-way for most of them.

I guess I just disagree with you about the characters in current seasons. At best, they seem to be acting like I'd imagine that they would, but at worst they're flanderized and generally unlikable (seemingly as a way to make other characters look good, sometimes).

People who dislike Glimmer are not automatically looking for things to hate, and it would behoove YOU to consider that. I'm not stuck in "the good old days," and I don't want the show to be of poor quality; personally, I'd rather the show just end at the rate it's degrading.

I can sort of understand why people like Starlight, but I have to admit that, quite simply, there's a reason why the memes about her have become so rampant. People dislike her a fair amount, and I believe that they have valid reasons; to be honest, most of the time, defenders generalize or ignore the problems that people have with her, which I can't stand and tends to speak to me of insecure "fans."

I appreciate you looking past my shitposting and clearly laying out your opinion, but I do have to admit that there's an air of condescension in it that I frequently see in this fandom nowadays. This sense of "why can't you just ignore the bad parts of the show and like the rest?" I'm critical of the show because I once enjoyed it very much, and I'm not just going to blindly accept what I perceive to be serious drops in quality. I'm not looking to troll or to be a contrarian, and I'm not the only one. I'm betting that most of the ex-fans are in the same boat as me.
>>
>>30458079
It would be easier to seriously consider your opinion if you didn't just assume that everyone who dislikes (or disliked) the show has awful ideas of what it should be or should have been.
>>
>>30458079
This has nothing to do with headcanon. It doesn't matter if there are other unicorns than Twilight that are all around magic users. For the purpose of the actual narrative in the show it doesn't make sense to have one character have a defined characteristic for 5 whole seasons only for a brand new character to come in and do everything better with no self awareness in the writing. I'm still holding out for a retroactive fix because there was an official book that hinted at Starlight having a mysterious past.

>>30458116
>i doubt they tried really hard to make her episodes stand out
Gauntlet of Fire, The Times are a Changeling, and Dungeons and Discords were a clear attempt at "fixing" Spike which fans have complained for years about. Saddle Row Review was good because of Coafalone alone. Glimmer was Haber and Vogel's pet project. They wrote all her episodes personally except for one. The mane 6 was largely ignored and delegated to new writers and it was pretty clear Haber didn't give enough of a shit to actually edit the new writer's episodes considering how season 7 is almost all new writers but every episode has avoided the serious flaws that season 6 episodes had.
>>
File: 45724564626.png (457KB, 800x700px) Image search: [Google]
45724564626.png
457KB, 800x700px
>>30458118
its all good friend.

generally, yes, but not if you make them really simple. all the characters had a few basic personality traits and they worked from there. as a side note most of those personalities were from fausts galaxy girls idea. pic related, im sure you can spot them.

indeed, sometimes theyre brought down to their basic personalities and it seems grating. would you consider this might be because youre not used to them focusing on just one trait anymore? in either case it does seem to be we just disagree.

i didnt suggest all people who dislike glimmer are. i even stated it was my own opinion. its simply a pattern ive noticed. id rather the show didnt end at the rate its improving. s5 was the best one so far imo, and s7 has been pretty great as well.

i dont mean to sound condescending when im having serious discussions like this, so ignore it if its there. im too used to arguing with people who wouldnt consider anything i wrote regardless of the effort i put into it so every post has an air of "fuck you" around it.
anyway, you dont need to ignore the bad, you need to learn to take the bad with the good. in live streams i see people throughout the episode pointing out stupid shit but also raving over good shit. then i come to /mlp/ and its almost always all one sided with people only bitching about the stupid shit while the occasional person trying to mention something good is shouted down with memes like jim and hasdrone, then you end up with aforementioned argument. it bothers me greatly.

i wouldnt presume to know what the ex-fans think. all i know is ive watched this entire series a dozen times and have a pretty good idea of the quality of each season as a result.
>>
File: 42784561245.png (265KB, 640x333px) Image search: [Google]
42784561245.png
265KB, 640x333px
>>30458223
shit, wrong pic.
>>
Maybe meghan will get rid of starlight now that she's back and the movie's over?
>>
>>30458259
im hoping meghan or the songco sisterhood takes the position faust used to have overwatching production from everyone to make sure it all makes sense.
>>
>>30458259
>>30458268
please, its jim and vogel's ship now. Haber's too if he comes back.
>>
>>30457471
>Glass of water
I'm not watching that shit nigga.
>>
>Blah Blah Strawman Blah Blah Mary Sue Blah Blah Vogel Blah Blah faustfag
Do we have to have the same thread everyday?
>>
>>30458432
until you love it.
>>
Bless all Glimmerfriends
>>
File: Glimfags need to be executed.png (1MB, 1834x977px) Image search: [Google]
Glimfags need to be executed.png
1MB, 1834x977px
>>30458488
this wasn't even all the threads at the time
>>
I still like the show and I love Starlight.
My only real dilemma is that Starlight is starting to get dangerously close to challenging my stable waifu since season 2.
>>
>>30458499
atleast one janitor is a poochienigger, you ever notice how none of their shit EVER gets deleted?

it doesn't help that the board is at the mercy of redditor-tier mods and rule 0
>>
>>30458502
>Anything challenging your waifu

She wasn't your waifu
>>
>>30458502
>>
>>30453449
I like Starlight as a character, think she's cute, but I can't stand how her episodes have been handled and I think S6 was awful. Enjoying S7 so far, though.

Close enough?
>>
>>30458116
>twilight is a master of friendship magic and adept at various other types of magic. twilights special talent was in friendship, and friendship is magic. so in a roundabout way her talent is magic, but still not all magic.
Can you cite what ass you pulled this out of?
>>
>>30459633
off of her ass, actually, and the fact she is the princess of friendship rather than magic.
>>
>>30460116
Her talent is magic. She represents the element of magic. That has been known ever since S1E2, and was one of the main points of Boast Busters, for example.
I don't think the term "friendship magic" ever appeared in the show, not even as a joke. You are literally making stuff up or confusing your canons and headcanons to support your argument.
>>
>>30460526
>You did something today that's never been done before. Something even a great unicorn like Star Swirl the Bearded was not able to do, because he did not understand friendship like you do.
>But today, Twilight Sparkle did something extraordinary. She created new magic, proving without a doubt that she is ready to be crowned Equestria's newest princess.
>>
>>30458169
>For the purpose of the actual narrative in the show it doesn't make sense to have one character have a defined characteristic for 5 whole seasons only for a brand new character to come in and do everything better with no self awareness in the writing.

Why not? It actually gives them a great dynamic. They have something in common that they don't with others.
>>
>>30453449
I think that season is no where near as bad as he board makes it seem but I can't help but feel some way about glimmer.

I loved her in her debut a mysterious unciorn who had a dangerous skillset.

I remember Starlight being mentioned as an Eastern Unicorn. Which is something that should have been expanded upon but I digress.

I'm not really a fan that the narrative of the show has shifted towards her. Of course this is a result of them Twilight becoming a princess and having her written into a box of what they can do with her. But it just doesn't sit well with me.

I don't hate her necessarily I just am not a fan of how they went about integrating her into the show.
>>
>>30453449
Same. I enjoy basically every non-glimmer episode.
>we're a subcategory of a subcategory by now
We're not. A lot of people feel the same, but don't necessarily talk about it. For instance, I'm not interested in having debates about it when everything boils down to "faustfags hate her" and "hasdrones love her"
It's just the shitposters and glimmershills being loud. You can find people disliking her even on EqD and DA nowadays, it's not only an /mlp/ thing.
You're not alone, it's just that people normally avoid talking about things they don't like, unless they want to be obnoxious about it.
>>
>>30460726
its a shame people have such a hard time articulating how they feel about a character and why without resorting to either extreme.
>>
File: 1498518460190.jpg (35KB, 696x423px) Image search: [Google]
1498518460190.jpg
35KB, 696x423px
>>30453451
>>
>>30460758
>MS Painting response

Retard alert

>>30460726
I find this so odd. I like all of her episodes. I don't get why people like her but not her episodes.
>>
>>30460814
>I don't get why people like her but not her episodes
I don't know if you quoted the right post, but I said I don't like either.
>>
>>30460552
>created new magic
>Magic is switching cutie marks
>Required 6 artifacts and its something that not even starswirl the bearded, the canonical Merlin of the MLP world, could do
>Starlight, just randomly off in the middle of nowhere, is able to swap cutie marks like its nothing

and people wonder why people call starlight a mary sue.
>>
>>30462229
she swapped two instead of 5, it exchanged their abilities rather than overwriting their entire brain, and it had a capped time limit.
>>
>>30453449
bump
Thread posts: 70
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.