[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If this were made today it would be Starlight instead of Twilight

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 4

If this were made today it would be Starlight instead of Twilight and she'd be rewarded for using magic.
>>
>>30383743

>Twilight has gotten used to making friends and being in ponyville, and is a princess
>episode about Twilight finding her role in Ponyville

I don't get it. If Winter Wrap Up were a season 7 episode, there would be no point in having it be about Twilight.
>>
>>30383743
Of course, Glimmer only exists because they can't use Twilight for most plots anymore.
>>
>>30383877
Because turning Twilight into a princess was and will always be a mistake.
>hahaha let's realize the dreams and hopes of every single pony in the cast, then who gives a shit if it doesn't work and kills the show?
>>
I'm wondering if S1 episodes will achieve the same praise if they are introduced now?
The fandom's preference of episode genre are completely different at this point that S1 episodes could be considered as shit.
>>
>>30384029
I've seen some contrarians say S1 is boring.
>>
>>30384029
Aren't there no S1 episodes in the top ten of the list that one guy makes averaging everyone's views on the series?
>>
>>30384049
But it is?
>>
>>30384049
It's boring in a sense that there isn't much of a story to the early episodes. To me, most of their charm came from the dialogue and interaction between characters while the story was more of a background thing. And the new episodes seem to be more the opposite from what I can tell. On surface judgement alone, though I do like season 1, if I was just picking an episode to watch based on overviews, I probably wouldn't go with season 1 episodes, even though I really do enjoy their style more.
>>
>>30384049
The only reason I feel joy from S1 is because I realise that this is where it all began and the fact that we are just about to discover things about our favorite characters
>>
>>30384049
S1 has top tier slice of life-- Its finale, best night ever, is one of the absolute BEST slice of life episodes in the show for example.

What it DOESN'T have is adventure. Later episodes tried to up the stakes and create more adventure. Unfortunately, the more adventure, the more clear it becomes that the other 5 aren't really up to snuff, conceptually, for an adventure series, their main "Hero" qualifications being that they can wear an instant win deus ex machina.
twilight herself started out pretty weak, having her spells constantly backfire and being unable to teleport on command easily without tiring out. But power creep set in, and now she's pretty much 100% in control of her powers at all times, no questions asked, making the others laughably pointless compared to her unless the story makes her an idiot.
>>
>>30385713
I think they were supposed to develop into proper adventure heroes. At least if they went with Lauren's idea to make NMM the entire season. It's too bad they didn't try to develop the rest on this front when they brought in more adventure, I meant they certainly did that for Twilight.
>>
>>30385745
its kind of hard to make the others into adventurers when twilight is so much more powerful than the others, and they lack any real magical powers. Its like doctor manhattan and the rest of the watchmen.

Hell, look at powerponies: The other 5 got super powers-- Twilight got NERFED, her super hero form was actually weaker than her default magical abilities.
>>
>>30383743
I find it offensive when nu /mlp/ talks about Winter Wrap Up. Please keep your Glimmer memes out of the old episodes. I offer you this non-horse related barbie as payment. You like this shit right?
>>
>>30385783
>glimmerfags
>liking EQG
what the hell are you SMOKING? Bath salts?!
>>
>>30385783
Glimfags hate Shim.
>>
>>30385823
And vice versa. its like crips and bloods.
>>
>>30384049
It is. But you still have to respect it as a starting point
>>
>>30385823
>>30385857
>fans of characters are more in character than the characters themselves.
>>
File: forty keks.jpg (17KB, 292x257px) Image search: [Google]
forty keks.jpg
17KB, 292x257px
>>30386907
>>
>>30386907
Sunset LOVED starlight, its completely out of character for the two to dislike each other.
>>
>>30383779
Don't try to reason with anti-glimmerfags, their autism defies all logic
>>
>>30383779
>>30388870
Don't be obtuse guys, OP isn't necessarily saying that's the problem at face value. It's the part starting on 'and' that he's claiming as a bad thing.
>>
>>30385770
I think you need to read back up a bit, to where another anon talks about how early on Twilight wasn't an instant I-win button. Her powers did not automatically resolve every situation, and indeed backfired plenty often. Her knowledge was a greater ability than her magic, and even that had to be held in check against her ego and tendency to become over-focused on things.

Needless to say, had they developed into proper adventure heroes I think that would have remained a much greater part of Twilight's characterization for a much longer time, if only just for the simple reason that there would have been pressure on the writers to actually think about how to avoid making her an all-powerful resolver.
>>
>>30385448
There isn't any story at all in S2-S7 to begin with.

If S1 hinted at the show going into an adventure action story-driven direction with its countless monsters and action scenes then S2-S7 take every adventure plot point and turns it into a boring mesh of slice of life worse than nuPPG. An excellent example is It's About Time, which is just Lesson Zero under disguise of another episode.
>>
>>30386190
>>30384182
Season 2 is shit and 10x times more boring. Fuck off.
>>
>>30388848
She only liked her because she's Twilight-senpai's student and envies her position
>>
>>30383743
>If this were made today it would be Starlight instead of Twilight
This part is very sad but true.
>>
>>30391177
What's even sadder is that the second part would be true too.
>>
File: 1471302312305.png (1MB, 4491x3195px) Image search: [Google]
1471302312305.png
1MB, 4491x3195px
>>30385823
>>
>>30383743
>Lesson ends up being "traditions are stupid shit for old people, the new ways are better" after Glimmer fixes everything with magic
>>
>>30389943
Wrong.
While it wasn't a massive super continuity plot, S4 had an ongoing meta-plot with the box and the keys.
The opener introduced a problem (the elements are gone) and a plothook (the box with its locks). This set up an issue that needed to be resolved that season. They then continued on by having very clearly plot centric episodes for the season, with hooks for future events, with the rainbow themed objects very clearly focused on at the end of the episodes as stingers.

This then comes to a head in the finale which connects all the previous events together.
Its not Legendary defender: Voltron level of plot, but it IS a meta-arc and plot.
Sadly, they discarded having plots for the season after that. There's NOTHING for this season for example.
>>
>>30383743
Yeah cause twilight was never special enough starlight completed spells that were deemed impossible to finish.
>>
>>30385783
>doesn't want discussion about the show
>wants more Barbie to reeee at
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.