[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

'Member when the show was comfy and well-animated?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 22

'Member when the show was comfy and well-animated?
>>
>>30341589
Yea, 'Explore Equestria' fags and people who wanted more lore ruined this show.
>>
>>30341589
Oh shit Anon what are you doing? You can say that here.
>>
By well-animated do you mean delayed reactions and faces so reused the only way you could tell ponies apart were color and hair? Amazing times.

And look at that screenshot. It's the same fucking poze with no variation whatsoever with essentially the same puppet over and over again since they rarely deviate from the base models.
>>
>>30341610
pose*

What do you mean by delayed reactions? At least they weren't meme faces.
>>
File: 1453834000594.gif (19KB, 598x588px) Image search: [Google]
1453834000594.gif
19KB, 598x588px
>>30341600
>lorefags ruined the show
>>
>>30341589
No, but I do remember when people watching the show weren't a bunch of jaded, miserable whiners constantly harping on their own nostalgia for something that wasn't as pure and perfect as they claim it was.
>>
File: 1444005559034.png (182KB, 568x294px) Image search: [Google]
1444005559034.png
182KB, 568x294px
>>30341589
I liked the naturalistic style of the first season, it's too bad the animators decided to go over the top from S3-4 onwards and ruin that charm.

Also No. 30341610 has shit taste and doesn't even deserve a (You).
>>
File: twilighteye_7147.png (119KB, 350x193px) Image search: [Google]
twilighteye_7147.png
119KB, 350x193px
>well animated
>>
File: lET4FrCRscU.jpg (14KB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
lET4FrCRscU.jpg
14KB, 300x169px
>>30341631
amazing animation
>>
>>30341589
Reminder that At The Gala wouldn't have a choir without Mommy Creber
>>
>>30341631
Sure there are a couple flaws here and there, but it's nothing compared to the fuckups in the later seasons.
>>
>>30341589
>"well animated"
Good one.
It was only good by the standards of shows at that particular time, during what could arguably be considered the dark age of children's cartoons. The animation was objectively mediocre, though the usage of Flash as a medium was considered pretty impressive in its own right at the time. There were plenty of stupid things in the show, from animation errors that created meme faces (or whole characters- see "derpy"), to excessive character duplicates whenever there was a lot of ponies in a shot, to lens flares for no particularly reason other than "because sun", to bits of visible storyboard, or just plain weird things like missing appendages on ponies, absent shadows, etc. etc.
Those things didn't stop me from enjoying the show, but don't pretend they weren't there, Anon.
MLO has always had sloppy animation
>>
>>30341589
>well-animated
Is this bait? The animation style in S1 was creaky and barely utilized the models to their full potential. The show's storytelling and characters may have suffered but the animation has only gotten better and better.
>>
>>30341623
Literally this.
>>
File: 5k5cl.png (422KB, 836x472px) Image search: [Google]
5k5cl.png
422KB, 836x472px
>>30341636
this went on for the entire fucking time she walked. i know it's not an error but come fucking on
>>
>>30341638
>bits of visible storyboard
When did that happen?
>>
>>30341589
At this point season 1 and 2 might as well not be consider canon.
>>
>>30341638
>dark age of children's cartoons
That was the 1980s.
>Flash as a medium was considered pretty impressive
Many other shows used it at the time. Johnny Test, for example. And if I'm not mistaken Fairly OddParents switched from traditional to Flash around that time.
>from animation errors that created meme faces
And today's meme faces are forced and try-hard. Innocent mistakes are the start of meme faces.
>bits of visible storyboard, or just plain weird things like missing appendages on ponies, absent shadows, etc.
Show me. There's no way a Canadian-animated cartoon has this many flaws. Canada is kino tier when it comes to animation.
>>
>>30341658
>Show me. There's no way a Canadian-animated cartoon has this many flaws. Canada is kino tier when it comes to animation.
But buddy, it happened during this one frame, it's obvious when you watch your episodes frame by frame
>>
It's times like this that I wish I'd saved that two hour long video that was nothing but animation mistakes in Season 1 and 2.
>>
>>30341665
Exactly. We shouldn't get hung up on tiny details. S1 had minor errors, but later seasons have them in spades. Also the S1 fuckups led to meme faces, whereas later seasons were like "unicorn magic glow not even on the horn" and "cutie marks on the inside of legs."
>>
first fucking episode
>>
>>30341669
>cutie marks on the inside of legs."
That's always been in the show dude. Inner thigh cutie marks being a sign of ponies losing their virginity was even a big meme back then.

I agree with you about S1 having better animation, but come on.
>>
>>30341679
Fake and gay.
>>
le ebin meme >>30341679
>>30341687
>>
File: 435346.gif (806KB, 258x269px) Image search: [Google]
435346.gif
806KB, 258x269px
>mfw faustards are this much desperate
>>
>>30341636
Nigga, a S1 scene had Celestia's tail layered in front of her body. Not to mention a crowd scene in Ticket Master had a glitching out Lyra in the back, complete with error boxes.

Let's not pretend that S1 was some holy grail of animation. Plenty of fuckups there too.
>>
season 1-2 had best animation!!!
>>
File: 315179.png (233KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
315179.png
233KB, 640x360px
>>30341709
Oh yeah, it was better than anything nowadays!!
>>
>>30341703
Referring to this scene? If you can't see the error, look closely in the background. A Lyra clone glitching out and trying to do 2 animations at once, and there's an error box left in the episode over it.
>>
It still is you absolute autists
>>
>>30341589
What about it?
>>
File: Flim_Flam_Bros_Animation_Error.png (789KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Flim_Flam_Bros_Animation_Error.png
789KB, 1600x900px
>>30341716
100% the best! Nothing could top this wonderful content.
>>
File: 184570.png (21KB, 245x302px) Image search: [Google]
184570.png
21KB, 245x302px
>>30341729
That's Faust's quality control for you! Only the best animation ever!
>>
>>30341589
Animation is one of the few things the show is still improving.
S1 was not well-animated, but it was from schedules and resource limits and creators were talented enough to cover that with acknowledging the right place to put an effort to.
>>
>>30341733
Ah, the times when she was around! Like you've said, only the best of the best got through her eagle eye!
>>
File: 1449046510809.gif (535KB, 304x367px) Image search: [Google]
1449046510809.gif
535KB, 304x367px
>>30341589
The animated is miles better now then it was then.
>>
>>30341746
This. It's more consistent and it actually looks good.
>>
File: 315159.png (49KB, 163x343px) Image search: [Google]
315159.png
49KB, 163x343px
>>30341739
Those were great times!
>>
You're pretty stupid if you think animation hasn't gotten better, early seasons of FIM to modern ones is like comparing the first EQG to the later ones

It is far better animated now, cause....duh, more money, logic.

That being said earlier episodes had a more "comfy" vibe, this is largely due to the fact that they couldn't afford music for every scene....lots of early episodes have a lot of silence with nothing but voices, it created a lulling effect, episodes now always have some sound effects and music at all times
>>
>Comfy
Yup

>Well animated
Nah, there were layering and parallax errors all over the place. Copypasted models are also hard to go back to. The animation's never really been great but it's way better than it used to be.
>>
File: 1457408875498.gif (346KB, 500x347px) Image search: [Google]
1457408875498.gif
346KB, 500x347px
>those two anons circlejerking over split-second animation errors nobody notices
>when the OP was probably referring to the naturalism of S1's animation instead of its technicality
this is pretty autistic either way but if that's what OP meant then way to miss the point you retards
>>
>>30341757
>is like comparing the first EQG to the later ones
Except EQG's animation hasn't improved at all. They still move (and especially run) like a slenderman with Parkinson's.
>>
>>30341770
>naturalism
>ridiculous errors all over the place
That's not how it works anon.
>>
>>30341589
srsly tho you must be trolling
plot, characters, worldbuilding, all that stuff it's up to debate.
Animation? It's a fact that S1 is the worst animated one.
>>
>>30341589

Remember when the show kept making references to Earth/human culture all throughout season 1?

>Romeo
>Casanova
>French old couture

That shit stopped the second Faust left.
>>
>>30341779
Oh okay well that settles it. You're missing the point as well being as retarded.

Thanks for that man.
>>
>>30341786
>"Pony Latin".
>>
File: 1452016442179.gif (453KB, 161x211px) Image search: [Google]
1452016442179.gif
453KB, 161x211px
>>30341778
>Except EQG's animation hasn't improved at all.
If you believe that you haven't watched any of them, or not recently. There is a HUGE improvement between even the first EQG and the second. Rainbow Rocks looks like Disney shit compared to the first which was truly janky considering it was largely an experiment.
>>30341770
>>those two anons circlejerking over split-second animation errors nobody notices
Yeah who ever noticed errors in the shady animation of early MLP, pic not related or anything.
>>
>>30341589
>well-animated
>posts season 1
bahahahahaha
>>
>>30341803
>Hurr 30 seconds that relies more on after effects makes an hour and a half of sub-human movements look like disney.
Go drink bleach.
>>
>>30341803
I hope you're not seriously comparing a derp-eyed pony being noticed by some people and then ballooning in popularity through word of mouth with nobody-gives-a-shit tweening errors, dude.
>>
File: lazier.jpg (104KB, 936x475px) Image search: [Google]
lazier.jpg
104KB, 936x475px
>>30341779
Small animation errors in the background don't mean anything in comparison to what's in the foreground, or animations that actually express the character.
>>
>>30341721
Yup. That's the one.

The fashion show with Rarity's shit designs also had a few ponies in the crowd with bold red numbers on them.
>>
>>30341762
I kinda miss the copy paste and simple recolored poneys.
Although it wasn't their intention, it felt like it was satirizing the toys which are all basically same model with slightly different colors.
>>
>>30341823
This show has always been under a damn near autistic, if not fully autistic, microscope
Every animation error was analyzed and discussed and criticized
>>30341815
Literally what are you talking about? Just about anybody with a brain would say Rainbow Rocks heavily improved on animation from the first, which was cheaply made since it wasn't guaranteed any profit or fanfare at all. Unless of course you never watched it and are a fan of the fandom, which is very likely.
>>
>>30341861
Some parts were real weird tho. One early shot over town hall literally had 4 Trixies (and one peach coat Trixie), 2 Bon Bons, and 3 Berry Punches all in one shot. Look at the crowds in>>30341721 for example. Copypastas everywhere. It also contributed to the old MARES MAJORITY headcanon since hardly any stallion backgrounders were around. Nowadays crowds are a lot more varied and balanced. Just look at the crowds in Equestria Games. You could actually spot cameos of Gilda and Twi's parents in the crowd.
>>
>>30341589
>'Member
This meme has gone far enough.
>>
>>30341786

>"French Old Couture" in season 1
>"Speakin' in fancy" in season 2, eliminating direct references to France

They fixed their shit by the second season, but they had to drop Faust in order to do it.
>>
File: images(11).jpg (3KB, 279x180px) Image search: [Google]
images(11).jpg
3KB, 279x180px
>>30341589

>Oooh, I 'member!

But seriously though. I'd say it still is. It *has* lost some of the comfy which is disappointing, but it's not as if it's suddenly devoid of comfy. On the other hand the animation has undoubtedly improved. Either way, why not just enjoy your cute pones doing cute things?
>>
>>30341944
It doesn't make sense that it's comfy now, though. Dash, Rarity, and Twi shouldn't have a minute of free time since they got their dream jobs. Or since they died and returned as a god in Twi's case. Our other three ponies can still be doing comfy stuff, but free time should really be a luxury for the ones that made it big.

Not that it matters, because the show has definitely decided it doesn't matter.
>>
>>30341944
>why not just enjoy your cute pones doing cute things?
HOW DARE YOU
ENJOYING THINGS? YOU PIECE OF SHIT, HOW DARE YOU IMPLY SOME PEOPLE ENJOY THIS SHOW AND ARE CAPABLE OF UNDERSTANDING THAT ANY FRANCHISE IS GOING TO CHANGE FROM SEASON TO SEASON
HOW DARE YOU BE LEVEL MINDED
I HAVE NOT WATCHED THE SHOW SINCE SEASON 3 AND THE FACT THAT ANYBODY DOES FUCKING PISSES ME OFF, NOW READ MY FANFICTION INSTEAD OF WATCHING THE SHOW
>>
>>30341892
I know. I just personally feel kinda comfortable with it's cheapness is all.
It reminds me of when I was a kid with my sister or friends, playing with toys and lego figures that all looked the same and trying to give them personalities and roles to create the awsome adventure make believes.

For cameos in Equestria games, I know this isn't your point but I remember both Gilda and Twilight's parents were introduced in S1 so I think they could have put it in somewhere if they wanted to but didn't until Equestria games.
I get your point and I'm not against more variety to be honest and I think it's great there are more background characters nowadays.
>>
>>30341589

>Season finale is just a laid back slice of life story

Will we ever have another season ender that isn't a fate of equestria epic battle?
>>
>>30342010
And people say that reddit didn't seep in after the scruffening
>>
>>30342008
>It doesn't make sense that it's comfy now, though. Dash, Rarity, and Twi shouldn't have a minute of free time since they got their dream jobs.
The show doesn't take place in real time. Pretty sure this was referenced in the last Rarity episode....lots of time passes in between seasons and even episodes, and hell this is nothing new, entire seasons go by from one episode to the next and it's always been like that.
>>
File: 1459075645441.gif (561KB, 270x270px) Image search: [Google]
1459075645441.gif
561KB, 270x270px
>>30342022
Now explain how anything I said was "reddit" you buzzword using faggot who doesn't have an argument
Get the fuck off 4chan you non intellect, I'd tell you to go the fuck back to you know where you little queer but we both know you came from there and got permabanned dipshit
>>
>>30342034
Ironic shitposting is still shitposting dude. Take a break, go for a walk. Do something with your life.
>>
>>30342025
If you assume that each episode takes place once a month when Rarity can take a few days off for her personal time, then a twenty-four episode season takes place over the span of two years, which is pretty unlikely. Even if Rarity is taking a few days off every two weeks, which is pretty unlikely when you're as big as Prada, each season is a whole year.
>>
>>30342019
Well we finally got a premiere that wasn't so no___
>>
>>30342039
Shut up faggot, you know not of which you speak. Why don't you report me and then come back and get mad again that I wasn't banned for using sarcasm you fucking retard.
>>30342043
Equestria is still pretty small dude, it's a tiny closed off part of the world it exists in....we're 7 seasons in and we still ONLY know of Equestria for the most parts, a whole entire planet exists outside of it. It isn't that hard for me to buy the idea that life in Equestria is a lot slower than in our world. Hell, they don't know shit about one another from city to city for the most part, it isn't hard for me to believe Rarity's business isn't as fast as it might be in our world. furthermore I never put a timeframe on Rarity's work schedule, I simply implied that lots of time passes between episodes....who the fuck knows how much time Rarity spends at any one of her locations as opposed to spending time in Ponyville, because there is no time frame between one episode to the next....absolutely none, an episode could be a day after the previous one, or a week, a month, two months, who knows
>>
>>30342110
You can come up with a bunch of explanations how Rarity's world isn't the same as the real world and at the end of the day you could settle on "magic" really. Point is, operating three businesses simultaneously and competing at the highest level of your industry doesn't sound particularly comfy, even if the show has all kinds of super special loopholes to explain it.
>>
>>30341757
>You're pretty stupid if you think animation hasn't gotten better
Better is a matter of taste. Objectively you can say the production values are higher - the animation is slicker and obvious errors are much fewer. Whether or not that's better is a matter of taste. Slick production values generally increase the mass appeal of a creative work. But they don't necessarily make something better, they just make it slicker. For me part of the charm of the early episodes was that they were running right into the limits of what they knew how to do with Flash. Even Faust was surprised the animators could pull off what they did with it. It gave the show a dancing on the edge feeling, making it perfect for becoming a cult thing and attracting a fandom. Things that attract fandoms tend to have obvious flaws in their production values - look at Star Trek or Dr Who. They wouldn't be so beloved if they'd had slicker production. Part of the joy of these shows is the willing suspension of disbelief when the lack of slickness makes itself apparent. S1&2 had that feeling. The flaws were part of the charm. If it had been too slick from the start we might never have fallen in love with it - the show could have been the sellout trainwreck /co/ tuned in to watch but didn't get when the first episode appeared on youtube. If the creative vision isn't super strong slickness just makes things bland. In the case of FiM the vision was strong enough that the moments where it didn't manage to be slick ended up being a big part of its charm.
>>
>>30342165
>The flaws were part of the charm
This. Back in 2010, we were all thrown for a loop whenever this show, produced by a bunch of no-name Canadians on a shoestring budget for the sole purpose of selling more plastic toys, actually had some semblance of quality. Sure it wasn't perfect, but nothing is, and FiM was definitely better than what everyone expected.
>>
>>30342165
>they have a higher budget and actually know what the fuck they're doing
>somehow not better because of "taste"
you are a stupid motherfucker
>>
>>30341589
Well animated isn't the word you're looking for, the show has improved it's animation with every season.

But the pones certainly do feel less like pones, their ears don't move as much, their actions are far more humanish (just look at how many fucking times pones in later seasons stand on their hind legs), and for the longest stretch there they abandoned the idea that pones stomp on the ground to applaud and just had them sit and clap their hooves together.
>>
>>30342211
I'm afraid you're the one who is stupid because you're missing a crucial element of creative work - creativity. You don't get something good just by throwing money at it. If you do that you get the next summer blockbuster action move or the hit pop song that people will love for about a month and a half before they forget about it entirely. That's what slick production values will buy you. People with a big budget always play it safe because they don't want to fuck up the payday, so they strive to please the people throwing money at them instead of taking any kind of risk.

That's not what made FiM good. Hasbro gave Faust a ridiculous amount of creative control to develop the series in lieu of a big budget. The result was something that was clearly the result of one person's vision instead of the creation of the corporate boardroom and focus groups. Because there wasn't a fuckton of money on the line Hasbro didn't have to play it safe, so they let Faust create the show she wanted to watch. And for all S1's flaws you can tell it - the thing feels like someone's labor of love. It was different from anything else on TV because of this. Of course once it was a success Hasbro wanted to start playing it safe, reigning Faust in a bit. That's when she balked and left. But that labor of love shit? You can't just buy that. Money will just get you slicker production values.
>>
>>30342165
I both agree and disagree. I agree that the crassness and sort of crappiness is part of the initial charm of the older episodes, I don't agree that it can be considered objectively or technically "better" either way or simply boiled down to a matter of taste. Yngwie Malmsteen is a better guitar player than Steve Jones, you pretty much can't argue against that without looking like an idiot....however which you prefer is entirely up to you.
>>
>>30341589
>>
>>30342468
>Yngwie Malmsteen is a better guitar player than Steve Jones
Now you're speaking a language I understand. From a technical perspective you are correct - the viking can execute fast melodic runs on the guitar that are far beyond the skill level of the punk rocker. But at the end of the day one could make the case that the punk rocker's music was better in that it connected with a lot more people. That may be a matter of taste, but when it comes to creative works judging on technical merit alone is missing the point. Often what makes art interesting is the way an artist uses their creativity to overcome their technical limitations or the limitations of the medium they're working within.
>>
>>30341610
Wow it's almost as if it's from a synchronised dance.
>>
different anon, but i remember when this show's community was at its peak
music and art were made every day
people didn't just talk about it on /mlp/
pony thread simulators were funny, and /mlp/ sings sorta mattered
iwtcird was relevant, and it all looked like it was never gonna end
but here we are
>>
WISH WE COULD TURN BACK TIME
>>
>>30344416
TO THE GOOD OLD DAAAAYS
>>
>>30344407
>pony thread simulators were funny
>iwtcird was relevant
I've been here from the start and neither of those things were ever true.
>>
>>30344447
well, they felt like they mattered
>>
>>30341589
Dude it was comfy but compared with the animation quality of recent seasons, not comparable. You may be blinded by nostalgia there
>>
>>30341600
I bet you hate action to faggot.
>>
>>30341786
Welli mean it was obviously haute couture but whatever.
>>
>>30341721
I would have thought the program they were using would warn them about that error when they tried to export it.
>>
>>30341800
That was pretty stupid yeah.
>>
>>30341941
Far from a faustard but I doubt that change had anything to do with her.
>>
>>30341944
>why not just enjoy your cute pones doing cute things
As long as it is at least 1 part cute ponies going on adventures and/or beating up monsters and other cute ponies to 9 parts doing cute things I can enjoy it.
>>
>>30342352
Huuuuuurk
>>
>>30345605
It's true. The reason FiM failed to be the trainwreck we all expected it to be is because Faust was given a level of control no one person would ever get on a big budget project. Even she was shocked at that, just like we were when we watched it.
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.