[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's be honest, the show has characters that are only slightly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: 1459996.png (1MB, 1406x1576px) Image search: [Google]
1459996.png
1MB, 1406x1576px
Let's be honest, the show has characters that are only slightly above average character wise. The real appeal of the show was always the world and the lore behind it, and the characters are strongest when presented with new, unique obstacles that allow minute details in their characterization to shine.

When there's too much slice of life, or the lore becomes too influenced by real life things, it really takes away a lot of the magic. What do you think?
>>
>>30308821
I completely agree.
>>
File: 1463294494106.gif (4MB, 620x540px) Image search: [Google]
1463294494106.gif
4MB, 620x540px
>>30308821
I'm ok with SoL episodes being prevalent but SoL doesn't mean "literally nothing happens".

A lot of (non-comedy) SoL shows thrive on exactly on that - the world and the lore. It doesn't always take the spotlight but when it's there it adds a lot of depth. Hell, even Aria had a coherent world that was somewhat explored by the characters. Not even mentioning something like Sora no Woto.

And even still, not every episode needs to have massive lore and worldbuilding behind it. If an episode has great character interactions or emotional impact it's sometimes the only thing needed to make it good. Something like LBYS and Amending Fences stand on their own because of that. This show is carried by characters but they don't have to be super-complex for that.

For me personally Made in Manehattan was a really good episode with a nice ambience and Rarijack not being annoying. It was relaxed and self-contained. I can get how people may not like it, but for me it was magical. The show rarely slows down nowadays, trying to cram a lot of plot points and scenes in 22 minutes, so I enjoyed the pacing of it. Would you say that there's no appeal here, that it shouldn't have existed because it doesn't deal with complex interactions, worldbuilding and lore?

I just want to say, you CAN have it both ways. It's just that sometimes the lore crashes and burns and the SoL aspect becomes just slice of nothing. Both lines are crossed periodically in the show, but when they're not it's beautiful.
>>
>>30308932
Its mostly episodes with no stakes at all that confuse me. If a conflict in the episode wouldn't have major implications for the characters or the world, they really should consider whether or not it is an episode worth making. I get what you're saying though. I just feel like SoL in the show at this point is sometimes reaching to even create a conflict.

Also I'm a bit sick of real world inspired locations.
>>
>>30308957
But in this case what implications are major? Who's to deside what's important and what's not? You can even argue that none of the conflicts in this show are important to the characters because they don't have visible long-lasting consequences 99% of the time. Then, if we assume that this is not the case and the exploration of the characters is the goal here, it can be said that all of the conflicts are important, as everything that happens contributes to it.

I don't think it's the right approach to it altogether, at that point under the "should it be made" approach the whole show's existence should be questioned.
>>
>>30308821
The show was never about deepest lore. There are barely any episodes with lore dump and any major exploration going on.
>>
>>30308932
>For me personally Made in Manehattan was a really good episode with a nice ambience and Rarijack not being annoying. It was relaxed and self-contained. I can get how people may not like it, but for me it was magical. The show rarely slows down nowadays, trying to cram a lot of plot points and scenes in 22 minutes, so I enjoyed the pacing of it. Would you say that there's no appeal here, that it shouldn't have existed because it doesn't deal with complex interactions, worldbuilding and lore?
Wow are you me
>>
File: 1483248691105.png (160KB, 1020x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1483248691105.png
160KB, 1020x1024px
>>30309050
Maybe
>>
File: 1420515706306.png (128KB, 500x465px) Image search: [Google]
1420515706306.png
128KB, 500x465px
>>30308821
No!
The only appealing of the show is cute ponies
And the fact you can imagine yourself in there, living in there and having a life in there.
Another cartoons have rules and limitations in the world.
Ex: Steven universe you have the gems with only can be females with destroys a lot of the male fan base dreams.

Ex2: Adventure time is a expanding word, but has to much character building with destroys anyone who tries to make a OC's of the show.

In another's words, mlp is a D&D type of show, you make whatever you want of the show and no one will try to kill you because you made fat pone.

TL;DR
Too much world building make a good show, but a smaller fan base!
>>
>>30309025
I'm not against stuff like, Amending Fences. Or even smaller stuff like Forever Filly. I'm just against bad writing that doesn't change or explore anything.
>>
>>30309112
Would you say that, for example, Fluttershy Leans In falls into this category? I've seen people defending it with SoL and "comfy" reasoning while I found it absolutely boring. In the end it didn't really have any impact and the plot felt pretty forced, on top of Fluttershy's supposedly life-long dream being mentioned for the first time and realised in the very same episode. Even though it had, plot-wise, a big thing for a character, in the end it accomplished nothing and didn't have any impact whatsoever.
>>
>>30309154
Yes. You hit the nail on the head too.
>>
>>30308821
I think the character-driven aspectis just a important as the world design focused on weather management, pony races, magic, the princesses, galactic themes. I think any world design which isn't about locations is the most interesting to watch.
Characters bouncing off one another is endearing and fascinating to watch because the 20 minute mix of SoL and Adventure gives us episode like Dragonshy where the characters always have free time to goof around and do things unrelated to the mission, unlike Made in the Moon where it's an on rails mission.

Still even then Faust managed to give all 6 equal importance by giving everyone a memorable scene and role for better or for the worse. Most cartoon shows give episodes and story arcs focused on 1 character which develops them much better than FiM did. But most shows never manage to flesh out 5 characters or more within 1 episode.
>>
>>30308821

I think you make a good point. I miss some of the old quest-like episodes like Dragonshy
>>
>>30309073

> Ex: Steven universe you have the gems with only can be females with destroys a lot of the male fan base dreams.
Steven is the only gem with a biologically assigned sex, and he's male, and a hybrid. The rest aren't actually don't have a gender, they're simply made to take the form their creators (presumably the Diamonds and their subordinates) make their default when growing them. The Diamonds, presumably, have female characteristics, despite being devoid of gender themselves. Thus, their subordinates have a similar set of traits, because the Diamonds see themselves as perfect beings.
This being the case, the idea of with male physical characteristics is out of the question, but an androgynous character with more masculine personality traits (like Bismuth, for example) is not.
So, it doesn't entirely shatter hopes, it just adds some hoops to jump through.
Now that I've revealed my powerlevel, I'll kindly fuck off.
>>
>>30310729
>the rest aren't really don't have a gender
Upon reading this after posting, I realize I failed to proofread, miserably.
Fuck me.
>>
>>30308821
I don't know... I think the characters, in this case mane 6 was is and will be the strongest point FiM provided to entire MLP franchise more than anything. You can alter world settings and the show will still work but you can't replace mane 6 and hope for same result.
For example, EqG which it's world setting is heavily influenced by real world is working out well, in some countries even better than FiM main series when only connection to the main series is "it's got mane 6 in it".
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.