[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think of Discord as a character? Since his appeareance

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 8

What do you think of Discord as a character? Since his appeareance in S2 until now?
>>
>>30289625
He's still the worst character ever! He should be back to bad guy and stay bad guy!
>>
>>30289625
He's Q and as that purpose he's fine to me
>>
>>30289625
The quality of his writing seems to fluctuate wildly, more so than that of other characters. Sometimes he's great, other times complete shit.

I guess he's just a difficult character to write well.
>>
>>30290188
>I guess he's just a difficult character to write well.
They can only use him on comedy episodes because he's so powerful that any real threat needs some retarded asspulls and contrived bullshit to nerf him down so he won't fix everything before the first act.

For example, season 06's insultingly bad finale.
>>
>>30289625
He was better as a villain. I hate when he's used as a meme machine for shitty writers.
>>
>>30290383
>He was better as a villain.

Are we talking about Discord of Starlight?
>>
>>30289625
Shitty rip-off.
>>
>>30290355
I actually liked how they used him in the S6 finale. Stripped of his powers he's really just a prick, and that aspect of his character allowed for excellent interactions with Trixie. Hell it was just a treat to see him actually walk and slither around without teleporting everywhere.

Pretty much the only thing that ruined the finale was the changeling redemption. I'm curious to hear more on why you think he was terrible in it.
>>
>>30290188

Very much this. Post redemption I feel like he's best on the occasions where he's very blatantly being an unrepentant troll (a-la Three's a Crowd) as opposed to "Lol it was *totally* just a stealth friendship lesson, guys!"
>>
>>30289625
Went down the shitter.
>>
>>30290466
Magic rock out from nowhere nerfing him down after everyone was kidnappd offscreen was a really retarded way to nerf him down so Starlight Nigger could save the day and be the star like Miller and Haber so desperately want everyone to accept.
>>
>>30290552
His "LOL it was just a prank lesson bro, oh wait now I get fucked" episodes are objectively the worst use of him.
>>
>>30290586
A complete waste of an expensive voice.
>>
>>30289625

He was funny for a couple of seasons, now he's just an annoying fuckwad.
>>
>>30290466

>Changeling redemption

Chrysalis didn't change in the end though, so it was actually still good. The only bad thing were the designs of the new changelings. It's more like one hive changed and there are probably others out there that haven't.
>>
>>30290586
It's funny watching him get fucked tho. He literally deserves it everytime.
>>
Discord is the god of chaos, and I think the writers seem to forget that. In several episodes he has underlying motives, and that ruins his character because he is the embodiment of chaos. He should never have plans, nor should he strive for anything, Discord, as a character that follows it's path, shouldn't cause havoc nor peace, he should cause chaos. The balance of peace or the balance of disorder should be thrown off in his presence.
>>
>>30289625
He went from the God of Chaos to some attention whoring jackass that everyone invites out of pity, but ends up regretting it.
>>
File: 1472347272808.png (284KB, 727x705px) Image search: [Google]
1472347272808.png
284KB, 727x705px
As an antagonist, I'd say he was objectively the franchise's overall best villain, rivaled only by Tirac from the original G1 pilot.

His post-reformation episodes are really a mixed bag, though, that only barely pan out as passable overall. But, that being said, after all this time I've really started to warm up to his new role Fluttershy's dear friend, Twilight's passive aggressive shit bag "pal", and somewhere vaguely in the in-between with everyone else. It's taken a while to let go of muh precious headcanons for his future in the show, but in hindsight I think it was probably for the best to make him into a Diet "Q"; who's used to accidentally better Twilight's core strengths by deliberately setting her up to fail, since if you wrote him as a more cerebral character playing 4D chess with fate it would probably get pretty cringeworthy and out-of-tune with the rest of the show fast. Celestia should be the one making up those convoluted keikakus, a "spirit of chaos" has no business playing the long-game with anything.

He just needs a more consistent character bible to work off of, and it's pretty clear at this point that he's never going to fully shake off his chaotic dickery, so writers just need to figure out how to work their way around it instead of needlessly tacking a friendship lesson onto him that won't apply or even be relevant to his future episodes. Giving him his comeuppance and laughing it off is probably the best solution they've got, if they can't think of anything better to do with him.
>>
>>30289625

He was always the best villain, but the problem with keeping him a villain is the same as the problem with letting him be a clear good guy. He's too powerful and any reason he doesn't win immediately feels unbelievable.

They made the best possible choice by reforming him but not having him be 100% good. The only problem they haven't fixed is that he is too sulky and childish when doesn't get his way and has to learn a lesson. It's true that a creature as old as him shouldn't change easily, but those roles make him a pathetic jerk.

I like him best in a secondary role like the season 4 or season 7 premiere. He causes mischief and gives the characters trouble in a funny way, but he also gives helpful and plot-appropriate nudges. He's unpredictable and you can't tell if, overall, he is a positive or negative force.
>>
>>30291558

I like the idea of a cerebral Discord, but not in a "10 step master plan" kind of way. I like the idea that he can react to anything quickly, that he's so old nothing really surprises him and he's prepared for lots of eventualities.

He's should be similar to how Pinkie was in It's About Time, but over much broader areas and timelines.
>>
File: 1352301706393.png (98KB, 500x451px) Image search: [Google]
1352301706393.png
98KB, 500x451px
>>30289625
I've enjoyed them for the most part, but I wish he would have episodes with the rest of the mane outside of Fluttershy and Twilight. I mean, how is it that we've never had a Discord/Pinkie episode yet? Seems way too obvious.
>>
>>30290956
>He should never have plans

He was planning shit from his debut.
>>
>>30292022
Comic is doing that but show needs more things like Dungeons and Discords
>>
>>30289625
still fun but I did prefer him when he was a bad guy
>>
File: You'reFakeNews.jpg (83KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
You'reFakeNews.jpg
83KB, 1280x720px
>>30289848
>>30290188
>>30290355
>>30290383
>>30290451
>>30290574
>>30290586
>>30290603
>>30290721
>>30290775
>>30293061
>Calling Discord a bad character
>>
>>30289625
he's hot
would love to see more of his submissive side
>>
>>30289625
he fuck my waifu
>>
>>30289625
Tirek was right the whole time .
>>
>>30290432
At least Discord add something to the mane cast. A Male character.
Starlight is just a rip off of Sunset and Twilight. Comeplete and utter pointless character. I bet Meghan already moved on Tempest Shadow as her replacement.
>>
>>30290956
>my headcanons should have been canon
>>
File: 1497034529354.jpg (27KB, 487x365px) Image search: [Google]
1497034529354.jpg
27KB, 487x365px
>>30291558
>Tirac
>>
File: mlp-tirac.png (1MB, 718x780px) Image search: [Google]
mlp-tirac.png
1MB, 718x780px
>>30293194
What's the problem?

He wasn't "Tirek" until G4, if that's what you're upset about.
>>
>>30293201
That's the only instance where he was written that way. In other material I've seen it's "Tirek". From what I remember at least.
>>
>>30290586
>disliking the Trickster Mentor trope
What kind of shit taste is this?
>>
>>30290575
Except Starlight Nigger didn't save the day? Thorax did.
>>
>>30291081
Maybe if you never made all these edgy headcanons in 2011 you wouldn't be so assdevastated now, ever thought about that?
>>
>>30293179
no?
>>
>>30293087
>implying I think he's a bad character
don't get me wrong his episodes are still some of my favorites of the entire series, I just wish we could have seen more of him when he was a villain
>>
>>30293276
Yes. He's gotten soft and is a shallow of what he once was. Imagine that, being turned into a wimp because he cares about Fluttershy.

It gives him a new drive sure, but Tirek was right in that friendship has made him weaker. No one but Fluttershy gives two shits about him.
>>
>>30293351
>no one but Fluttershy gives two shits about him
this
how is he redeemed if the whole cast still can't stand him
>>
File: image.jpg (83KB, 1279x712px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
83KB, 1279x712px
>>30293351
>>30293382
They look like they're ok with him
>>
>>30293398
>we still haven't gotten one episode of discord interacting with anyone besides fluttershy in a meaningful way
>unless you count that poor excuse for an episode where discord makes twilight feel bad by hanging out with her friends and making inside jokes
stop fooling yourself anon
>>
>>30293409
I thought it was a good episode which is only hated because not enough witty references
>>
>>30289625
I think it's a great way of communicating with people, much better than teamspeak or skype
>>
>>30293382
Redeemed, "not actively being an outright villain", close enough.
>>
>>30293409
They already rushed throught this in What about Discord. Its clear they want to focus on his relationship with Fluttershy for something big.
>>
File: f6e.png (402KB, 1561x1240px) Image search: [Google]
f6e.png
402KB, 1561x1240px
>>30289625
His art project was getting good before the frogs stole all his flags.
>>
>>30293300
This. I want a proper flashback of him taking over the first time.
>>
>>30296895
I wanted that Larson joke episode that took place before Discord's reformation where he possesses Pinkie and Celestia and Luna have to come in and do an exorcism and Pinkie vomits cotton candy all over them.
>>
>>30293409
His buds with Spike and Macintosh now.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.