[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm making a fallout equestria game to learn how to work

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

File: test.webm (2MB, 1704x960px) Image search: [Google]
test.webm
2MB, 1704x960px
I'm making a fallout equestria game to learn how to work with unreal engine 4. it's been a while since I entered the fallout equestria thread and... now is gone?
I admit I've been busy following the slave pony general, heart of war and the umbra thread
I wanted to share the work I'm doing and possibly have some critiques, but seems foe is dead here
>>
really no one is interested?
>>
File: 116744486.png (84KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
116744486.png
84KB, 800x600px
bump for interest. I like where this is going
>>
>>30271437
you seem to be the only one here
>>
>>30270609
i like your project
>>
Keep going I'm interested senpai
>>
File: 21375623.png (207KB, 626x501px) Image search: [Google]
21375623.png
207KB, 626x501px
>>30271838
Not the only one.
>>
>>30270609
Ohhh first i thought of this
https://theovermare.com/

but we get a fallout 1/2 styled game too very nice
>>
>>30271952
I know of that one, I'm looking forward to play it
but I'm also a fan of the old fallout games so I thought that making a game like it would be instructive
>>
>>30270609
foe is overrated

make a past sins game
>>
>>30270609
what all have you got done so far, op?
>>
>>30272180
what I have done so far:
-grid manager: I can get access to any information about my hexagonal grid. position, cost, relationships of any tiles in the map. (currently I support only one level (as in floors) but I think in a second iteration I can improve it
-camera movement: I can move the camera in the world. this is... still shit. I still haven't understood how cameras work but for now it's good enough
-snapping of elements onto the grid: I can place an element exactly at the center of a tile and making the graph manager have a reference of it
-pathfinding: I can find the best path point A to point B, evaluate if point B is reachable and avoid obstacle. I'm looking forward to add a "terrain" system with different terrain having different weights
-move the character: I can move the character along a curved path (using the pathfinding algorithm)
-base inventory: I have a general item and an inventory to store it, in multiple instances and with stackable option. for now is good for testing, but I'll need to expand it when I'll make the battle system

what I'm doing now
-basic dialogue system
-3d modelling (I do not plan to be a 3d artist, but I'd like to learn the basics)

what I'm planning to do:
-game mechanics (things like the special system and how it relates to all the game assets)
-battle system (ant therefore expand the inventory)
-improving the camera, which is shit now
-event system
-expand levels building blocks (things like wall, houses, obstacles, and all the "architecture" stuff you need to make a level
>>
>>30272378
sounds like a lot of work. remember to keep it fun, no need to get frustrated over a personal project.
>>
>>30272407
thank you
it is really draining. 3d modeling in particular since I know nothing about it and I have to learn everything
>>
>>30270609
>slave pony
absolute cancer
>>
>>30272500
I know
I'm going to die young
>>
>>30272456
We used to have some /3/ folks around (3dAnon, ShipIsLove and PonyHam come to mind). Maybe they could share some advice if you manage to summon them. Monitoring this thread for good measure.
>>
>>30272716
I thought /3/ was dead
>>
>>30275082
How?
>>
>>30270609
If you care about shipping a finished game, please join an existing pony game project instead. Ambient White are using Unreal 4, for example. It is okay to not care about shipping though.

Also, being a pony game dev, you might want to join these discords:
https://discord.gg/gkWAn
https://discord.gg/zrtzt
>>
>>30276385
I don't really care about shipping a game
I just want to learn about unreal engine 4
and a fallout pony game was the first idea that come to mind
thanks for the discords
>>
File: 1134236.jpg (2MB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1134236.jpg
2MB, 2000x2000px
>>30270609
What happened to /foe/ general?
>>
>>30276453
This.
>>
https://desuarchive.org/mlp/thread/30137792
this seems to be the last foe general
it's so sad
>>
>>30270609
>pay attention to meeeeeee
The type of person who posts here wants attention, not a completed project.
I mean, that takes actual work and suffering. Why bother when someone can just pay you on the back now?
>>
>>30276812
*pat
>>
>>30271927
>>
>>30276453
I want to know too.
>>
File: sad.gif (448KB, 500x275px) Image search: [Google]
sad.gif
448KB, 500x275px
>>30276453
>>30276560
>>30277997
this
https://desuarchive.org/mlp/thread/29885814/
and this
https://desuarchive.org/mlp/thread/29830064/
seem to be the last threads, they didn't reach even 100 replies
>mfw there is my last message on the foe thread before I started following heart of war and umbra thread
>>
File: Screenshot (23).png (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (23).png
2MB, 2560x1440px
the dialogue system is trickier than what it should be
unreal engine doesn't manage too well data from csv files but I'm starting to have something
>>
>>30270609
This looks cool, OP. Are you posting updates anywhere?
>>
hey OP you wanna make this open source so we can have a generic pony game template that people can use to make games instead of a specific FOE one? Development could go a lot faster if you had some help
>>
>>30279657
for now I don't. I was thinking about the possibility of making a blog but I don't know how many would be interested in that
this thread is a sort of test

>>30279818
unfortunately, because of the end user license of unreal I can't make "open source" software as in using a MIT or GPL license. BUT I can give to everyone the code package to be freely modifiable and redistributed under the UELA license of the engine... trust me, there is a difference
short answer: I can and I pretty much will if I manage to keep my plans together
long answer: le legal aspect it's complicated, but yes i can
that said, I don't know if I could manage an open source project with other people to keep an eye on. it would be a new and challenging situation, not unwelcome but still frightening
>>
>>30280311
Interesting. I've never used UE so I'm not aware of it's legal problems.
>>
>>30277885
Bump
>>
>>30278845
is the whole thing hex tiles?
>>
>>30270609
>>30271428
no one gives a fuck about this

you will abandon that shittie projekt of yours in 2 weks anyway, 1 month tops
>>
>>30280379
it's not like there are problems in itself, is pretty much legal things so you don't just use the engine to make commercial products without pay epic
since this is not a commercial product I shouldn't have problem

>>30283249
yes
every movement, and later on the combat is based on an hexagonal grid, like the first 3 fallout game (1, 2 and brotherhood)
https://youtu.be/xSfwDgFeIHU

I was thinking to make it more like wastland 2, free movements outside combat and a square based grid in combat, but then I changed idea
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBK6xOdJkDY
>>
>>30283356
actually, I have been working for 2 month and a half by know
I know I'm not making fast progress but you know, university and gaming have kind of the priority
>>
>>30284014
you're not the first nor will you be the last who will try and make a game
but you won't finish it like all the others

that's why /mlp/ ain't giving a shit there have been hundrets of projekts like this and not a single one was finished
no matter how commited the people behind the projekt have been
>>
>>30284095
I never said I will finish this project, I know I won't be able to make a true game out of it
making a full game requires years of full time job, a team of dozens if not hundreds of people (in case of AAA games) and hick management skill
I don't have neither the time, the knowledge or a team to make a full game
this is just a project I'm using to learn the game engine and experience the developing of a game and since it involves ponies, I wanted to know if anyone here would be interested in this
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.