[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>been on the ride for a while >read fanfics because it's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 10

File: The_others_worry_S02E25.png (947KB, 1279x712px) Image search: [Google]
The_others_worry_S02E25.png
947KB, 1279x712px
>been on the ride for a while
>read fanfics because it's kind of fun
>mostly shitty human in Equestria stuff and grimderp stuff
>accidentally stumble on one that's actually pretty good
>keep reading
>it turns out really good, in fact
>tfw it slowly dawns on me that I like this story better than most of the recent episodes

What do I do now, /mlp/? Some autistic brony has surpassed the show's writers, or at least it feels like he has to me.
>>
File: mfw 1.png (69KB, 184x198px) Image search: [Google]
mfw 1.png
69KB, 184x198px
>>30245436
post link faget
>>
File: tufboy.jpg (62KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tufboy.jpg
62KB, 500x500px
>>30245436
post link faget
>>
>>30245436
>An autist has surpassed bigger autists
Color me surprised!
>>
File: 1425562047745.gif (941KB, 398x223px) Image search: [Google]
1425562047745.gif
941KB, 398x223px
>>30245436
>What do I do now, /mlp/?
both.
>>
>>30245436
does not mean you cannot still enjoy the episodes you simply enjoy the fanfic more.

Enjoy your two sources of entertainment.
>>
File: IMG_5817.jpg (106KB, 750x750px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5817.jpg
106KB, 750x750px
>>30245436
faget post link
>>
>>30245436
4chan is known to make better plots than contemporary "film creators".
>>
Oh, sorry, link here: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/182859/its-a-dangerous-business-going-out-your-door
>>
>>30245436
>I like this story better than most of the recent episodes
Welcome to the club
>>
>>30245436
It's because fanfiction writers don't have to dumb anything down, or tiptoe around anything that might offend soccer moms.
>>
>>30248989
I've read that one
Found good fanart of it many moons ago and decided to check it out. It was pretty dope.
>>
How new do you have to be to think that there aren't fics better than the show out there?
I mean, the show is great, but he's limited. They're 25 minute episodes, they're forced to put retarded morales in it, they have to play with certain characters and can't bring in literally anything they want whenever they want, they're limited by budget, by time, by the fact it's made for kids and... whatever else really.
Basically, fanfic writers are free, and the show writers are bound.
>>
>>30249855
Yeah, but boundaries can sometimes create great things. Sometimes limits are wonderful for creativity.

Just not in the case of FiM, apparently.
>>
File: what are you talking about.png (54KB, 383x383px) Image search: [Google]
what are you talking about.png
54KB, 383x383px
>>30251213
>limits are wonderful for creativity
I think I've NEVER heard anyone say this. Ever. In my whole life.
Give an example please.
>>
>>30251278
inventing shit / engineering
>>
>>30251278
It's true. Being limited enhances creativity.
>>
>>30251406
What?
But those limits don't help you invent shit anyway.
You have to take them into account, mind you, but it would be even easier if they weren't there.
>>
File: batman-the-animated-series-3.jpg (303KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
batman-the-animated-series-3.jpg
303KB, 1680x1050px
>>30251278
Look up Batman The Animated Series and all the stuff they had to do to get around the censors.
>>
>>30251454
I think he means folks get creative with things, even with a small amount of resources.

Look at WW2. German's made some impressive automatic machine guns. The Brits copied the design and made the STEN gun, super simple, super light, and super easy to make. They didn't have much to work with, and what they came up with was so damn good the German's copied the STEN and made their own version of it. Which, as you would believe it, even simpler.
>>
File: batponk.gif (500KB, 243x136px) Image search: [Google]
batponk.gif
500KB, 243x136px
>>30251739
And think of all the things they could've done without the censors?

>>30251765
Oh yeah, I don't mean that you cannot be creative with limits.
But the bigger the limits, the less creativity you can have 'access' to.
>>
>>30251780
Just because your scope is more focused doesn't mean you can't incorporate other factors in. It serves as more of a template or frame for a sort of groundwork or foundation of the final product
>>
>>30251803
??
This doesn't have much to do with the original point.
Limits and creativity don't go well together. I don't understand how you can even imply otherwise.
>>
>>30245436

If I find out that the purpose of thread is to shill Past Sins, I will find out where you live and take a giant shit on you.

>>30248989
Okay, no shit on your head today.
>>
>>30251780
>But the bigger the limits, the less creativity you can have 'access' to.

No, you just have less to work with. When you need to make more with less being creative with your solutions is a necessity.

Creativity is not a currency, it is the skill of getting something where there was nothing
>>
>>30251955
>the less you can have 'access to'
>no, you just have less to work with
??
No, I'll just say this again, the more limits you place, the less creativity you have 'access to' and so the less you can 'work with', and so even tho it's a 'necessity' you're still limited because there's limits.

Remove the limits and you can add literally anything, and this anything equals more creativity.
Make a show for kids, and you have to remove vulgarity, drugs, mature themes, political/social jokes and whatever else.
If you remove this limit, you can do the exact same you would've done if you wanted to make it kid friendly, AND MORE.
>>
>>30251988
I think there's a confusion between creative freedom and creativity going on.
>>
>>30245436
That's normal and not a bad thing.
>>
I think the overarching theme here is "forcing yourself to think outside the box without actually stepping out of its bounds."

Creative restriction is good practice for aspiring writers. Restriction limits ideas, not necessarily creativity. Sure, absolute freedom means you can write absolutely anything, but people tend to appreciate your work more when you manage to deliver something enjoyable despite having hurdles to jump over. Otherwise, why would you ever struggle with coming up with a unique solution if you can just walk unimpeded to the goal line? It not only expands your mind in how to circumvent issues, but expands the audience's mind in what they might not have deemed possible before you showed them there's another way to go about things.

What's more, we as a society have pretty much put limitations in place as to what we're able to deem enjoyable, that you as the writer would need to meet to be able to glean any sort of praise or notoriety. The biggest example being the Mary Sue tests. An all powerful character gets boring to read, this is why even Superman is held back by his morality. This is also why suspense thrillers are so popular, because the characters are either on an even playing field and pitting minds or resources against each other, or because the obstacle(s) is/are stronger than the protagonist, thus keeping people at the edge of their seat wondering what's going to happen next. That's not an experience you can give people if they already know the outcome.

In conclusion, restrictions are not always harmful to the creative process. When you close one door, you only need find another. In this case, don't try to tear down the box you're in, just write your way out of it!
>>
File: IMG_4467.png (329KB, 1280x1459px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4467.png
329KB, 1280x1459px
>>30251278
1. My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic. A show that its creator settled for as a consolation prize after the show she wanted to make was rejected.

2. Rarity. Lauren didn't want to put any traditional "girly" female sterotypes into her show because muh feminism, but Hasbro forced her to include a main character that was into "girly" things like dresses and makeup and going to the spa.

It is absolutely true that limits on creativity spur creativity. Even the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel was a paid commission that Michelangelo was literally forced to do under the penalty of death.
>>
>>30248989
Oh yeah, love that one. Easily in my top 15.
>>
>>30252146
This, creativity is a skill, and requires more of it when a limit is placed.
>>
>>30245436
There are a lot of people who aren't professional writers but like writing, and some of them are really good at writing.

This is not a new phenomenon, the problem is the animation industry is very hard to get into, gets discussed on /co/ all the time. Basically, it's more about connections than actual talent, almost 99% of everyone in the American industry today is a CalArts graduate while almost every other animation school gets shit on.
>>
>>30253559
>California being a cunt
The second universal truth right behind water being wet.

Scientists have decided the sky being blue and the grass being green are at the very least, arguable.
>>
File: IMG_6618.jpg (181KB, 1710x1161px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6618.jpg
181KB, 1710x1161px
>>30253616
>the sky is blue

That is such bullshit. The sky is all kinds of colors. It's only blue on a perfect day at Noon.
>>
>>30253681
>perfect day
Oh shiz, I've been wasting my life thinking these bitter winter days or scorching summer noons were crappy days, when in reality they were perfect. All I had to do was notice the sky was blue. If only I'dve known sooner.
>>
>>30253730
Get woke you bluepilled faggot
>>
>>30253741
Kek
>>
>>30251278
The original Star Wars

Then cheap CGI and a lazy director ruined everything.
>>
>>30245436
Some people write very good stories. You don't need to get insecure about enjoying them. Contrary to what /mlp/ might tell you, it's possible to enjoy multiple things.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.