[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you think the show has handled dragons as a concept? What

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

How do you think the show has handled dragons as a concept? What do you think happened to those super big dragons? Do they just not listen to Torch? Or was that just for young dragons? Did you prefer the dragons in S1?
>>
>>30201764
I want my cum to sizzle inside Fizzle
>>
>>30201764
Greed growth was fucking retarded and I am glad they ignore it but otherwise it is all good.
>>
>>30201792
I think it's completely ignored, otherwise how would dragons living with other dragons like Garble or Ember stay small?
>>
>>30201806
Have you seen the dragonlands? It's just rocks as far as the eye can see. What is there to hoard?
>>
I will be edgy and say that Dragonshy is still the best use of a dragon in the show.
>>
>>30201918
Its greed. Not horde size. Fuck horde size may even be mildy interesting.
>>
>>30201918
I thought dragons raided places?
>>
>>30201764
Shit, just like changelings, and for similar reasons too. Dragons started out as mysterious and scary, but now they're a bunch of teenagers taking lava baths. Also, they're way too anthro.
>>
>>30201957
Is it? I thought the greed just fueled the hoarding instinct.
>>30201962
They would, but a small dragon could only carry so much. It makes sense that they would grow much slower than Spike did who only had to take the stuff down the street.
>>
>>30202023
So is it more than just greed growth?
>>
File: I Cant Read.png (153KB, 316x308px) Image search: [Google]
I Cant Read.png
153KB, 316x308px
>>30201764
I prefer how the dragons were represented in season 1. They fit in with the low fantasy grounded tone the show had then. They were mysterious. not overly anthropomorphic (Spike aside), and were more obstacles than characters. The nu-dragons feel like one of many examples of the writers putting that old low fantasy style away in favor of more typical wacky cartoon fantasy.

Those are my thoughts, anyways.
>>
>>30202056
I don't know, I always thought it was weird dragons in S1 were clearly sapient but had no civilization. It's kind of interesting.
>>
>>30202038
Maybe, I just think we have a different understanding of what "greed growth" entails.

We do know Spike has grown a little bit since he hatched, but that could just be due to the fact that each year he got one book, and just one, from Twilight on his birthday.
>>
>>30202172
>>30202056
I just chalk it up to ponies knowing nothing about dragons before, when now they do, who was to say they didn't have a civilization before? It was explicitly stated that ponies knew absolutely nothing about dragons before

This is a thing I see come up in a lot of ways with this show, people often forget that Equestria was always presented as being fairly closed off from the rest of whatever world it is it exists in, and that ponies are fairly closed off from other "cultures" and pretty much only exist on their own, leaving pretty much everything open to interpretation

But I can agree a bit with the idea that dragons seemed more mysterious and such before, though I don't exactly see it as a bad thing that they've been explored more....I just think the show needs to try harder in introducing new mysterious things
>>
>>30202185
That would be very strange if it were the only way. And he's gotten things since then. He has his own room, and that didn't make him grow.

>>30202222
Dragons were mysterious because ponies never tried to reach out to them or other cultures. Now they're not because ponies know them.
>>
>>30202056
>nu
opinion discarded
>>
>>30201764
>Do they just not listen to Torch?
This, I headcanon that only young ones take the leadership seriously and it's a de facto anarchy. Hence each adult dragon hoards its gold and distrusts others.
>>
>>30202244
I could easily see Ember wanting a more unified species under her control, though. It just makes things easier.
>>
>>30201945
He just wanted to sleep.
>>
>>30202254
Capitalism allows for easy accumulation of wealth for the top members of the hierarchy, that's why she wants order.
>>
It's shit.
We still don't know shit about them, and that episode with Ember just fucked up with everything.
Why the fuck would they want only babies and teenagers to become their king?
Where the fuck are all the adults?

I largely prefered S1. And Spike's growth tied to his hoard, this was great.
Dragons were actually threatening and not fucking walking jokes like garble and whatever that retarded dragon is named.
>>
>>30201945
Nothing edgy about it. That was the closest the show came to the dragons of folklore and I wish they had continued in that direction. The obnoxious douchebag style dragons introduced in season 2 are grating on my nerves, and their designs look like something rejected during a HTTYD concept meeting. Dragons started as something fierce and wild that couldn't be reasoned with, like we learn of in mythology. They made great adversaries in season 1. I dislike the direction the show went.
>>
File: book girl shrug.jpg (109KB, 894x894px) Image search: [Google]
book girl shrug.jpg
109KB, 894x894px
>>30203391
>Why the fuck would they want only babies and teenagers to become their king?

Seemed pretty obvious to me. They were passing the torch to a new generation. Also, adult dragons sleep for hundreds of years at a time.
>>
>>30203569
>passing to a new generation
>while they live for hundreds of years
>maybe ALL the adults somehow ends up sleeping at the exact same time, and the kids don't!
yeah, no, that's now how things work Anon

Also it doesn't make sense since the first dragon we saw in dragonshy went to sleep, and then 6 episodes later we see another one well awake.
Nah, writers are just lazy as fuck and felt like wiping their asses with the lore
>>
>>30203589
>>maybe ALL the adults somehow ends up sleeping at the exact same time, and the kids don't!
I never said that. Just having a King who's out of commission for hundreds of years at a time would probably cause some problems
>>
I assumed that the Call of the Dragon Lord only went out to a few dragons honestly.
>>
File: 842487.png (38KB, 582x588px) Image search: [Google]
842487.png
38KB, 582x588px
>>30201764
its very clearly racist.
>>
>>30201764
Torch seems closer than most to Spike's ideal of a noble dragon.
I want an episode where he goes to him for some advice and he regales tales of his badassery. And by that I mean how he used to be a scrawny dweeb til he got buff.
>>
>>30203841
>little brown daughter
>>
>>30204015
Adoption is every white man's responsibility.
>>
>>30203992
I'm expecting more an episode where Ember talks about her dead mom.
>>
>>30204015
"I have a black friend."
Either guy's making shit up or has some very warped standards.
>>
>>30203992
Here's the question: who made his armor?
>>
>>30203391
>Spike's growth tied to his hoard, this was great.
After all these years this is the only person I have ever seen with that opinion (with the obvious exception of the dhx can do no wrong fags that blindly praise everything)
I was not watching at the time though so maybe it used to be more commonly held.
>>
File: Silver_dragon.jpg (20KB, 340x306px) Image search: [Google]
Silver_dragon.jpg
20KB, 340x306px
>>30201764
they started out decent enough, like a cartoon version of D&D dragons. they didnt seem to follow the same lore, but at least they were loosely based on it. ive never been a fan of the "all dragons are evil arrogant faggots" angle most shows go with though which is what they were doing in the beginning. that said, i wish they would have stuck to traditional lore as much as possible and maybe introduced some other races of dragons that look a little different or clearly behaved differently between good and evil.

while the teenage dragons were clearly just supposed to be regular teenagers in dragon bodies, im satisfied where it ended up. the dragons, including spike, have a core of honor. spike has already shown once that a dragons honor is probably the most valuable thing they possess. even garble in all his douchery followed the dargon code when spike ordered him to do something stupid. im glad they set aside a characteristic for dragons to share universally. its not all i wished for, but its decent in its own right.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.