[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>this season has been going really well What the fuck, man.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 9

File: CelestiaThoughtItWasFunny.png (1MB, 750x947px) Image search: [Google]
CelestiaThoughtItWasFunny.png
1MB, 750x947px
>this season has been going really well

What the fuck, man. I was sure this would be my last season after 6 felt like it was spinning its wheels.

Even the episode with a terrible premise (A Royal Problem) not only delivered but it's going to be one of the best episodes of the season, I'm sure.
>>
>>30142946
The episode was SoL tier. Just because you make an episodee about fan favourite bg character or Princesses doesn't automatically make it best.

Its as pathethic as rating Rainbow Fall as 8/10 because of Derpy appearance.
This board is Ponychan/RoundStable tier.
>>
>>30142954
What was your favorite season then, you raincloud?
>>
>positive threads get no replies

You're the problem, /mlp/.
>>
>>30142946
I didn't like A Royal Problem d e s u, but that episode aside, the season is going amazingly well so far. Infinitely better than season 6. Although that's not much to say, I'd rather have a fork stuck in my eye than to watch season 6.

But yeah, this is going much better than I expected, and I'm honestly surprised to see so many new writers doing such a great job. I wonder if it's because they're that good, if it's thanks to the new Story Editors, or thanks to Jim, or what.
>>
>>30142946
>this season has been going really well
>A Royal Problem was the best.
Fake news. KYS.
>>
>>30142946
It's proof that /mlp/ likes DBZ fights but with horses.
>>
>>30143445
I could go for that.
>>
File: 1212425.png (266KB, 547x665px) Image search: [Google]
1212425.png
266KB, 547x665px
Reminder that people who don't like SoL episodes are cancer and literally worse than fans of the fandom.
>>
File: 07.jpg (68KB, 387x305px) Image search: [Google]
07.jpg
68KB, 387x305px
>>30142946
I know right?
Every episode this season has been important. Each one rewards prior knowledge and adjusts the status quo a little. Emotional investment: as behind, so ahead.
What's funny is that >>30143445 was literally me a few years ago. I'm enjoying this season as much as I am because I dropped that mindset and started paying more attention to the calmer parts. A Royal Problem was fucking fantastic to me and it wasn't because of ~1 minute of generic laser blasts; it was because of all the Celestia/Luna character work. That was emotional payoff 7 years in the making, Daybreaker was a nice bonus but she just doesn't compare.
>>
>>30142954
>The episode was SoL tier.
So, it's like 95% of all FiM episodes.
>>
>>30143616
I think he means the actual episode "Slice of Life", which is a huge sore spot among anti-brony MLP fans, it seems (this being the only place I've ever encountered such asinine people).
>>
>>30143031
>*threads you agree on get no replies
ftfy

its more fun to disagree with someone
I like S7 very much so far and I hated S6
>>
>>30143654
I didn't HATE Season 6 (only season that would be bad enough to qualify for "hating" would be season 3, and even then it's just "very unlikable") but it was largely tepid and flavorless at times.

The finale is probably the second worst in the series.
>>
>>30143664
It also gave us Saddle Row Review, so it wasn't completely irredeemable.
>>
Season 6 is aggressively average. I think that's why I didn't really appreciate it too much.

It kind of felt like Season 4 but at least Season 4 was better than what preceded it so it was an upturn, despite being pretty so-so when compared to the series' highest points. Season 5 was actually alright so when Season 6 undershot that by comparison, I felt a low sense of investment in it.
>>
File: 1407499757839.jpg (237KB, 1920x1880px) Image search: [Google]
1407499757839.jpg
237KB, 1920x1880px
NONONONONONONONO NOOOOOOOOO

YOU'RE WERE SUPPOSED TO HATE THE SHOW, NOT PRAISING IT

WHAT THE FUCK HAS HAPPENED TO THIS BOARD

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
>>
>>30142946
I don't feel a Royal Problem is as strong as everyone says it is as a whole. It has a fantastic last 1/3 but my biggest gripe with it is it's our very first Royal Sisters episode, and it is dominated by Starlight. She is the focus for the bulk of the episode; the narrative never leaves her side even once, we are always seeing things from her point of view until she falls a sleep and it briefly switches to Celestia... who immediately then goes into her dream so it's back to her once again.

Celestia and Luna take focus while Starlight is terrified, and this is where the episode picks up for me until the end, but what I would really wanted out of a Royal Sisters episode is more of that last 1/3 throughout the entire episode, giving the sisters the primary point of view.
>>
>a terrible premise (A Royal
Problem)

spotted: retard in the wild
i've been saying it since the synopsis dropped, it was a great premise and anyone who said otherwise is/was stupid and wrong

>>30143747
>Royal Sisters episode, and it is dominated by Starlight.

it's not. it's just you don't like her and your cranked-to-ten autism makes it so you can't see anything else.
>>
>>30143766
>people don't like the same things I like == people are wrong
Jump off a cliff, retard.
>>
>>30143775

i'm objectively right. suck my dick.
>>
>>30143791
Oh shit, for a minute I thought you were serious. My apologies.
>>
>>30143766
>it's not
You'd have to be blind to think this. Look back at the episode and count how many minutes Starlight is not on screen, I'm certain you can count them on one hand. We only ever see Celestia and Luna without Starlight present for less than a minute apiece in the dream sequence / very briefly after it.
>>
>>30143812
>count how many minutes Starlight is not on screen

so in literature and film and stuff they'll have one character sort-of 'stand in' for the viewer, this is what we refer to as protagonist.
>>
>>30143706
I want exoposters to fuck off
>>
>>30143855
So you admit it was a Starlight episode, then? This was my problem: the sisters were not the main focus of their own story.
>>
>>30143812
As the OP I didn't really mind, honestly. It was a pretty focused episode and the episode wasn't actually about Starlight.
>>
>>30143802

i couldn't tell which section of my post you were whining about. i hope it's the part about the premise.

it's literally a bodyswap episode with two interesting characters. have you never watched a cartoon before? it doesn't matter. the people in charge of MLP have. it's why whenever they go to pretty standard cartoon episode format (two tickets, three friends, etc) they generally nail it.
>>
File: 1445015556569.jpg (16KB, 480x318px) Image search: [Google]
1445015556569.jpg
16KB, 480x318px
>>30143618
>anti-brony MLP fans
>>
>>30143035
Two of the new writers came from Voltron, so this is easy for them.
>>
>>30143706
You're a silly pony.
I laugh at you.
Ha ha.
>>
>>30143892
Uh, for your interest, the general consensus is, once you've admitted to be baiting, people stop replying.
>>
File: 36a.jpg (73KB, 396x1076px) Image search: [Google]
36a.jpg
73KB, 396x1076px
>>30143766
I tihnk that'a bit harshanon. Just because he didn't like it doesn't mean he has "cranked-to-ten autis
>>30143812
>count how many minutes
>>
>>30143887
It was more about Starlight than I think you're giving credit: more than of the conflict came from Starlight's self-doubt about how prepared she was to handler her mission, arguing with Twilight, and focusing on how to fix the sisters' problems for them rather than either sister worried about fixing it themselves. This did not change until the dream-sequence battle started and then, after Celestia/Luna finally got the picture, the most immediate goal was 'save Starlight from herself'.

She had a major influence on the episode and I wasn't looking for that, I would prefer whatever next Royal Sisters ep we get in another 7 years or so to deal with them primarily.
>>
>>30142954
I would honestly love to be able to read the mind of someone like you as you watch an episode of MLP, I feel like you're just trying to hate the show at this point. If Royal Problem had come out in 2012 and Glimmer was replaced with Twilight, it'd be hailed as a classic.
>>
>>30143877

starlight was our window to them. that's what i'm getting at; how much stuff -actually happened to starlight- and how much stuff happened to the princesses? it's not a screentime thing. the focus of the story is who the story explores, not whose name appears the most if you dump it into a .txt and bang out a ctrl+f.

>>30143906

so how retarded does that make you? L O L btfo
>>
>>30143877
No shit. They're supporting characters.
Maud's never been "the main focus of her own story" either by that logic, because it's always a Pinkie episode.
>>
>>30143931
>anon claims Starlight didn't dominate the episode
>other anon provides a quantifiable means of showing she did
>lol wow you're counting MINUTES of screen time fug XD what an autismo
>>
>>30143936
>and glimmer was replaced with twilight it'd be an instant classic.
Gee, i wonder why replacing one character with another that has an actual relationship with the princesses would have made it a classic.
>>
>>30143931

creepy how i nailed it, right? i even went with visual. 'can't see anything else', be spooked dude.

>>30143936

this episode is being hailed as a classic and for good reason.

>>30143934

so the only way for the episode to not have been about starlight to you would have been: her interactions with the princesses and ABSOLUTELY NO INSIGHT OR PERSPECTIVE on starlight whatsoever. or else it crosses the line.

that right? she's not allowed to at least have a subplot? or, uh, have feelings and thoughts as a secondary character to the plot..?
>>
>>30143963
Then why the fuck do we even need Glimmer on the cast in the first place? THINK.
>>
>>30143934
I thought we hated Poochie because she was perfect. Now we hate that they're showing she's deeply flawed?
Fuck me you lot have become a parody of yourself.
>>
>>30143942
Why did Starlight have to be our window and not the Princesses themselves? She also made the most happen: she was the one who figured out a problem was between them in the first place, she was the catalyst that caused the Freaky-Friday switch, she was the one who convinced them to go along with it, she was the one who pointed out Luna's own problems to her, and she was the figure to save / cause of the final conflict in the dream.

It's not just a measure of how much happens to you / how much you change over the process of a story, it also matters how much influence you have on it, and Starlight had a lot.
>>
Friendly reminder:
IGNORE GLIMMERFAGS
DON'T REPLY TO GLIMMERFAGS
>>
>>30143985
>She also made the most happen:

technically the map made it all happen. so theory fucking ended, the map was the main character.

doesn't work that way dude.
>>
>>30143978

the only reason you don't like starlight is because you stopped watching the show because they stopped talking about it on knowyourmeme kys fgt
>>
>>30143971
I would have no problems with Starlight as a secondary character in this episode like in Rock Solid Friendship or in Celestial Advice, but for the first episode in the series that focuses on the two sisters' relationship, she was not a secondary character, she was the main character.

I would have preferred this to only focus on Celestia/Luna but if they did have a secondary character I would be fine with Starlight sharing that insight from the sisters' perspective so the story focuses more on them.
>>
File: 1307379425686_f.jpg (43KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1307379425686_f.jpg
43KB, 500x281px
WHAT DO WE SAY TO THE GLIMMERFAGS?

NOTHING. NOTHING AT ALL.
>>
>>30144017
>she was the main character.

oh don't be a fucking asshole about this. if you're going to argue, present an argument. don't respond to me unless you're going to refute something i've said you insufferable faggot go fucking hang yourself. ugh.
your kind is the absolute fucking worst. don't reply to me at all, actually. good to vent.
>>
>>30144004
>side note, I also do not like the map for that very reason as a cheap 'here's a plot go fix it' tool rather than the characters coming across the conflict naturally

The map had no agency, it just pointed her in a direction, all those decisions/conflicts/events Starlight made herself. I don't see what the map starting off the story changes about Starlight having the most influence over it.
>>
>>30144027

'pay attention to me'
>>
>>30142954
it wasnt what was done, it was how it was done.
>>
>>30144041
You yourself said she was the 'protagonist' of the story because it's told from her perspective here >>30143855 , I'm not refuting what you said at all, just disagreeing that it was a good direction for the episode to take.

It's just an online argument friend, i know where we are but it's nothing to get worked up over.
>>
>>30143956
You're timing a fucking children's cartoon.
Willingly, independently, thanklessly turning entertainment into work. Not just work; fucking STATISTICS.
Yes that is fucking autistic. It's your down-time and you'd rather obsess this much over ways to hate it rather than do something else entirely. The fact that I need to spell this out is telling.
>>
>>30144043
>all those decisions/conflicts/events Starlight made herself.

she acted as a catalyst.
i still have to figure the only acceptable way she could have done this (for you) would have been: on-screen for the two seconds it takes with no dialogue, never heard from again, and she was behind a bush the whole time.

you're not being reasonable about this. start, or i'm going to stop trying to reason with you.
>>
>>30144083
And how is arguing about a children's cartoon and taking time out of your day to post not once but twice about how annoying you find it for someone to make statistics about an episode? You don't have anything better to do either?

>inb4 'it takes me like a minute to post'
It takes less than a few minutes to skim the episode and tally up seconds/minutes Glimmer is not on screen, it's not like wasting an afternoon to do it. It takes longer to fap than this.
>>
>my nice thread has been shat on by Starlight haters

I want you all to find someone else to bother.
>>
>>30143545
This. I think laser fights are generally silly, but in Royal Problem it made sense. It didn't seem like an excuse for a laser fight, like the S4 finale (which I enjoyed purely for how ridiculous it was). Meanwhile, when Twilight and Cadence fight that worm monster with lasers in the episode where Discord pretends to be sick... It just seemed really stupid and kinda lazy. It'd have been way better if they took a similar approach to how Twilight defeated the Ursa Minor.

But Daybreak and NMM were trying to outright destroy each other, and the tension made sense. It just seemed fitting.
>>
>>30144115
>...about an episode?
*'any different' supposed to be on the end of that
>>
>>30144070

went off the handle. sorry.
totally misinterpreted your post too. not too sorry about that (it happens) but i was a dick.
>>
>>30144115

know what? don't feel too bad. once i found out that they said there was a starlight sighting everyone missed i went back. i re-watched. didn't see her, but dear god did i try.
>>
>>30143976
We DONT.
That's literally what most of the anti-glim fags keep saying, she's an unneeded addition to the cast, especially in the various roles she's forced into without any natural growth into or out of said roles.
She fucking lectured celestia on how important it is to get along with her sister, and thanks to piss poor writing celestia gave no response.

>>30144083
>It's a childrens cartoon.
Not him, but "it's a childrens cartoon" is not an excuse for poor quality.

>>30144105
She was unneeded for the episode to happen.
>My students student used her magic to replace cutie marks, if you think my job is so easy let's see you do any better, etc etc.
There, starlight replaced by literally one line of dialogue, and the dream sequence could have been the combination of Luna's fuckup's during the day.
Lack of daybreaker, but teeth falling out, giant plants sniffing her and schrodinger's timberwolves would have probably made up for it.
>>
>>30144145
THIS SEASON IS FUCKING GARBAGE. I'M THROUGH WITH THIS SHITSHOW. THERE ARE SO MANY BETTER THINGS I COULD BE FOLLOWING WITH MY FREE TIME.
>>
>>30144145
Meant to add, i dont hate starlight, she's just shackled with shit writing.
>>
>>30144156
Sounds like every indie darling in WWE.
>>
>>30144158
I dont follow wrastling, my main issue is that starlight "Did a lot of bad shit but wants to atone and is learning how to be a helpful member of society but occasionally stumbles." glimmer has a lot of potential, except everyone forgave her instantly for the intial fuck ups, forgives her instantly every time she stumbles, and basically lectures other characters who act like retards to facilitate said lecture.
>>
>>30144145
>She was unneeded for the episode to happen.

from your perspective, maybe, but bear in mind that this episode has ramifications; why'd the map only call her? why'd it even call her in the first place?

twilight would not have had the balls to cutie mark-swap.

starlight gives the writers a fun and impulsive and gunslinger-style character to use and play around with. it allows them to execute the 'oh shit what were you thinking' plotlines. it's so great.
>>
>>30144189

your main issue is that you've adopted a stupid and reductionist take on the character. understood.
>>
>>30144115
Because I go into /mlp/ expecting this kind of shit. The struggle usually evolves into something entertaining that makes the arguing worth it.
When cartoons I watched got tedious I stopped watching them and spent my time on other shit. If there's so much stuff I don't enjoy that I need to fucking TIME it to prove a point on a Chilean churro-eating forum I would have long since stopped watching it in the first place.
But hey fair point maybe there's no payoff here, I'm wasting my proverbial breath here and my time would be better off spent wanking.
>>30144145
S'more about the following 2 lines senpai. Pretend "children's" isn't even there for all it matters.
Then again I'm of the opinion that the writing's good and Starlight's become increasingly endearing so ^:)
>>30144158
Funnily enough indie wrasslin' was the very reason I found that "timing episodes" commnt so hilariously autistic.
Fucking Green Lantern Fan, man.
>>
>>30144131
No man it's cool. I'm sorry if I'm being difficult in talking to, and explaining my reasoning. I'm not always the best at putting thoughts to words.

The short of it is, given the time spent waiting on a Sisters episode I was displeased that when we got one, a character other than the sisters served as the point-of-view for most of the episode, and held so much agency on the plot compared to the sisters (I probably could have dealt with one or the other)

I liked the final third of the episode the most because it was Celestia/Luna interacting with each other on their own, and felt that if the earlier parts of the episode consisted more of that without Starlight acting as a buffer I would have enjoyed it more, though I'm sure it probably still could have worked with her in the episode acting as adviser / offering her side of things, just with more screen-time for the sisters to themselves and their reactions to it than hers.

This is all purely opinionated however and for what it's worth, I do still like the episode. I just feel it is not as good as the general consensus says.
>>
>>30144298

i can understand that. sorry for being 4chan in my posts, it's baked in there pretty good.
>>
>>30144293
I guess that's the thing for me, I do still like MLP enough that, even though more things about it frustrate me than it used to, I still feel obligated to splurge my opinions / whatever statistics I can work up to try and support them in the hopes that someway, somehow, they work their way through fans, boards, etc to the show in the long run in hopes of improving it for me. Nothing changes if I say nothing. Nothing will probably change if I say something too, but autistic venting is also cathartic as fuck.
>>
>>30144327
Hey, no reason to apologize for being 4chan on 4chan. I've been called a cock sucking turbo faggot before and I doubt it'll be the last time
>>
>>30144195
>why'd the map only call her? why'd it even call her in the first place?
Because it knows her magic, she broke it and helped turn it on again.
It called the other six because it knew their magic, the treehouse of harmony spawned directly from the box they got rainbow power from.

>it allows them to execute the 'oh shit what were you thinking' plotlines.
Those only work a few times for the same character before you get the complaint of "Why the fuck hasnt she learnt her lesson." and/or "Why the fuck are they forgiving her so easily."
An example being Twilight who had only two "WTF were you thinking" plots as far as i can recall, the want-it need-it spell where celestia herself had to step in and reverse it and the second being the changeling wedding where she was completely vindicated.

>>30144236
Where am i wrong.
Again, i dont hate glimmer, i hate how she's being written and i think she's being written poorly and not allowing her character to grow naturally.
>>
>>30144707
>Because

NO! *bap*

we don't have the answer. don't supply one unless you follow it with 'imo'.

>Those only work a few times for the same character before you get the complaint of "Why the fuck hasnt she learnt her lesson."

which is great. because they can't take that away from glimglams, as alluded to in all bottled up: it's like telling dash not to solve her problems with recklessness and bravery, or telling twilight not to use her reason. glimglams goes on her gut and has the power to make that matter. it's amazing.

there's no lesson for her to learn. you try to solve problems with what you bring to the table.

>>30144707
>i hate how she's being written and i think she's being written poorly

THINK MAYBE YOU SHOULDN'T BE COMMENTING ON WRITING?

sorry, caps.
>>
File: Shitpost.jpg (48KB, 398x300px) Image search: [Google]
Shitpost.jpg
48KB, 398x300px
>>30144739
Ah, you're that guy, carry on.
>>
>>30142954
If you're serious, you're a moron.
If you're joking, you're not funny.
Great job.
>>
>>30142946
Some episodes have been really good. I have to skip most of other, out of boredom and unbearable cringe.

So it's a pretty meh season.
>>
>>30144796

first off, lol, i replied to the same post twice.

hey, it happens.

second:
>you're that guy

that guy left in 2008. i'm surprised you know about him.
>>
>>30143445
Yeah. OH you mean ONLY. Yeah, no. Story is more important, thanks.
>>
>>30143706
Pretty fucking much.
>>
>>30142946
It's good
>>
>>30144355
Well fair enough then. As someone who's been on the ride since S1 I found the Princess content of the episode highly satisfying, and the amount of on-screen focus they had perfectly par the course. Big Mac, Zecora, Discord, Trixie, secondary character episodes are never JUST about the secondary characters, even Spike usually needs a main character to play off of most of the time. If it wasn't Starlight, it would have been one of the others. Except Starlight DID make the most logical sense, being the only one impulsive enough to do what needed done. So "counting the time" or whatever stinks of something pretty sour from multiple angles.
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.