[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else notice that the episodes that are the best received

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

Anyone else notice that the episodes that are the best received tend to be the ones that try something new? Either they're adventure episodes/episodes with high stakes for the world (Gauntlet of Fire, To Where And Back Again), or they approach SoL in a unique way. (Saddle Row Review, Amending Fences)

I really think a problem with too many episodes is that the stakes are so low that it's hard to get invested in anything the characters do. Generic SoL that doesn't really go anywhere and is just kind of boring adds nothing. SoL isn't the problem, boring episode plots are.
>>
>>29758049
I have nothing against SoL but I though SRR was pretty boring, the pace-breaking gimmick got repetative fast. It tried to follow too many characters in little time. I think SoL works best when you have a slower pace while working with 2-3 characters at most. Made in Manehattan was the perfect example of how it should be. Other than that I agree.
>>
>>29758077
At least it TRIED something different, you know what I mean? I think what made it so popular was that we hadn't seen an episode setup like that and it was refreshing.
>>
>>29758083
What made it stand out for me were actually in-character jokes and interactions instead of usual late S5-S6 cringe comedy. Though I think Rarity yelling and Twilight sperging out over sorting was too on the nose for me. But lack of subtlety isn't anything new so I guess that's that. I still liked it, it was one of the S6 high points for me.
>>
>>29758117
It definitely was in character, but it also was not boring.
>>
>>29758221
Well for sure it wasn't THAT boring. I personally liked the ending and how they managed to salvage the whole thing, it was fun to guess how will they utilize everything they have. But getting there was a bit predictable. The whole "they're gonna be doing it wrong but then they'll get it right and save it in the last minute" thing.
>>
>>29758077
SRR had a lot of dry humor. if thats not your thing then of course youre going to think its boring.
>>
>>29758255
See
>>29758261

It had humor that isn't for everyone.
>>
>>29758261
>>29758269
Humor wasn't the problem here at all, as I said in >>29758117 this kind of humor was really enjoyable.
>>
I think it is actually easier to write an adventure episode than a SoL one.
>>
I think shitty writing plays a big part in it though. After seeing the synopses for The Cart Before The Poines, 28 Pranks Later, The Times They Are A Changeling, and Dungeons and Discord it seemed like we were on the path to four good episodes in a row. But all four of them were incredibly disappointing.

Cart Before The Ponies could have been great, especially with that catchy song, if the writing hadn't been atrocious. 28 Pranks Later also could have been good if it started immediately (not in the third act) and the cookies were really making ponies into zombies, instead of MMDW 2.0. TTTAC was very close to being good though the ending really hampered it. Even one of the best writers, Nick Confalone, managed to miss the entire point of a dungeons and dragons episode by making it more about outside character interaction rather than interaction with the game (not to mention it kind of sucks that it was D&D without the mane 6).
>>
>>29758314
I agree with you on the first two. I think TTAC was done well enough, though Dungeons and Discords absolutely was wasted. It was an episode all about style over substance. I agree with DWK about it, he nailed all of the problems with it.

Quite frankly while I like the idea of a guys night episode it would have worked better had Discord not been complete shit.
>>
>>29758314
>D&D without the mane 6
This desu, an amazing opportunity wasted on non-characters
>>
>>29758299
>I didn't like the humor
>you're wrong
wew lad
>>
>>29758314
I liked The Times Are A Changeling and Dungeons and Discords.

I think Spike and Discord's conflict with one another was engaging.
>>
>>29758541
Maybe actually read the posts next time
>>
>>29758557
Spike was good in D&D, shame that Discord was not and that Big Mac wasn't a character.
>>
File: tumblr_mwszuiuj5S1rhvkrqo1_500.png (183KB, 500x453px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mwszuiuj5S1rhvkrqo1_500.png
183KB, 500x453px
>>29758049
No. Horsefuckers are just idiots.

If you want a show which isn't afraid of creativity then watch Wander Over Yonder.
>>
>>29759151
Shame Disney raped it and it wasn't really the concept Craig wanted at all by the time it aired.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.