[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You've enlisted in the Equestrian Army to fight the war

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 30

File: 1199900_L_01.jpg (63KB, 940x241px) Image search: [Google]
1199900_L_01.jpg
63KB, 940x241px
You've enlisted in the Equestrian Army to fight the war against Sombra. Congratulations!
Unfortunately, being a human and not a pony, their weapons are a bit below your size rating.
So, what are you going to use as your weapon of choice? No gunpowder allowed.

Hardmode: How are you going to fight Sombra with it?
>>
File: Coilgun_animation.gif (56KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
Coilgun_animation.gif
56KB, 600x300px
>>29655811
>No gunpowder
Okay!
>>
File: trying-to-remember.gif (1MB, 477x252px) Image search: [Google]
trying-to-remember.gif
1MB, 477x252px
>>29655839
Fair enough.
>>
>>29655811
>No gunpowder allowed.
Alright.
>>
File: Mazinger-Z-1.jpg (22KB, 425x567px) Image search: [Google]
Mazinger-Z-1.jpg
22KB, 425x567px
>>29655811
>>
File: 10640952908111319.jpg (24KB, 250x191px) Image search: [Google]
10640952908111319.jpg
24KB, 250x191px
Duel Monsters
>>
File: Nuke.jpg (43KB, 636x358px) Image search: [Google]
Nuke.jpg
43KB, 636x358px
>>29655811
>No gunpowder
I can make do.
>>
File: 600640.png (126KB, 850x850px) Image search: [Google]
600640.png
126KB, 850x850px
>>29655862
The funny part is that a coilgun might actually be viable in Equestria. The predominant issue is power generation and storage, but we've seen them use magic for generating mechanical action (Tank's helicopter thingy) and energy storage (bottled lightning).

>>29655811
If I'm going to answer by the spirit and not just the letter of the rules, though, a poleaxe of some variety.
> Can keep a foe at a distance, putting me outside the range of those nasty strong Earth Pony hooves or a diving pegasus, or potentially surprise a unicorn by hitting them further than they think
> Range also allows me to angle it down and compensate for the lower pony height - keep them from getting in under my guard
> Multiuse weapon - point can stop a charging pony, spike can hook a flier or slip into armor, blade can injure joints, haft can theoretically parry a bit
> Also can help with walking between actual battles

The real problem is how to duel Sombra. Being able to turn into smoke is a pretty strong defense against most physical weapons; my options are to either try to get a very powerful spellcaster to enchant the weapon, or just distract him long enough for Celestia and/or Luna to put some magic up his ethereal ass.
>>
>>29655946
Glad someone's willing to work with the question.
You brought up the smoke issue, which was one I hadn't thought of, really.
My primary issue was his crystals. The hammer in OP pic can be augmented by affixing a small diamond spike to the flat of it, capable of breaking most crystalline formations if done right.
>>
File: magic capture device.png (117KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
magic capture device.png
117KB, 1024x1024px
>>29655811
Easy.
>>
>>29655974
True. There were poleaxe/hammer hybrids that exchanged the rear spike for a flatter, reinforced surface. That might be worth considering, especially if you use the poleaxe's length for extra force in the swing.
>Pic related, some were knobbly like this while others had a flat surface. Single-point spikes tended towards to be thinner.

It really depends on how much it takes to break those crystals. I forget if we ever saw them broken on screen by anything less than a top-tier unicorn or alicorn.
>>
>>29655811
My katana
>>
>>29656018
Forgot pic
>>
>>29656018
Bretty much just magic stuff can break them in canon, but nobody ever really tried to break them physically with anything viable to break a crystalline formation.
>>
>>29655811
>No gunpowder allowed.

Okay.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69QSVzRGsvI
>>
File: the best offensive.png (1MB, 1800x1505px) Image search: [Google]
the best offensive.png
1MB, 1800x1505px
>>29655811
>is the best defence
>>
File: Warr.jpg (100KB, 634x356px) Image search: [Google]
Warr.jpg
100KB, 634x356px
>>29655811
>Single choice
I'd prefer to carry at least one main weapon and a smaller set of sub ones
A two handed Hammer for bashing through armor and crystalline walls/defenses 1v1. As our enemy is not exposing a lot of their flesh, I'd also take a smaller 1 hand Axe/Shield since you never know when you'll need a cutting weapon in battle or in the field w having a means of defending in large scale skirmishes.
>>
>>29655811
I'd use the Alicorn Amulet.
>>
>>29656156
>Axeshield warr
Scrub, don't you know axemace/GS zerker is the meta now?

Good choice on race, though.
>TFW no Iron Legion to invade Equestria with.
>>
>>29656225
One for cutting, one for bludgeoning with a little defense in tow
Gotta keep that sustain up while landing those big hits :^)

>You will never engage in subterfuge and espionage under the Ash Legion in investigating the Equestrian settlements and strongholds

>You will never learn to build turrets, gyros, constructs and eventually contribute in creating and designing massive war machines that strike fear and awe in the hearts of the colorful equines and other critters for the Iron Legion

>You will never lead an infamous warband fighting for their lives in suppression missions or all out war against Dragons, Changelings, and Diamond Dogs in the Badlands for territory and resources with Blood Legion

Would Torch and Ember be mistaken for Dragon Champions/Minions?
>>
>>29656436
Torch definitely.

Ember? Maybe. I give it an even chance between "minion/champion" and "weird Largos or Wyvern offshoot".
>>
File: 1484328504781.jpg (82KB, 900x1344px) Image search: [Google]
1484328504781.jpg
82KB, 900x1344px
>>29655811
I cast magic missile
>>
>>29655811
Two crystalline shields. (For laser beam deflection)
One on each arm.
Each lined with spikes for shield-slam-stabbing.

The mythical battle turtle.
>>
hello pony thread simulator
>>
File: Falx.png (24KB, 220x306px) Image search: [Google]
Falx.png
24KB, 220x306px
A falx would probably be good for cutting pony armor's weak spots, what with all the hinges and rivets for moving parts, and could be good for swiping at lightly armored pegasus passing by and unicorn's horns
>>
>>29655811
I chose a kitchen knife, then I pretend to join sombra's side and literally stab him in the back.
>>
ice-cold refreshing Coca-Colaâ„¢
>>
File: dGnEeQa.gif (4MB, 383x457px) Image search: [Google]
dGnEeQa.gif
4MB, 383x457px
+5 chaos swiehander
>>
>>29656791
Zwiehander. Fuck I can't spell today
>>
>>29655811
Crossbow and bolts
somewhat easy to make, can replenish ammunition in a pinch and less chance of taking a hoof to the gut in a melee.

As a secondary weapon i'd pick a kriegsmesser. Short enough not to be in the way but still long enough to ensure a longer reach than a pony kick should the line falter and i end up in the melee
>>
File: xeauHYeV.jpg (233KB, 1432x1432px) Image search: [Google]
xeauHYeV.jpg
233KB, 1432x1432px
>>29655811
Heh... My mind is the greatest weapon I can think of...
>>
>>29655811
>No gunpowder allowed.
Ok.
>>
File: well what is it.png (384KB, 2686x3500px) Image search: [Google]
well what is it.png
384KB, 2686x3500px
>>29656800

Zweihänder.
>>
>>29655811
I would likely use a guisarme of some kind. The hook or the spike would be really effective against any high speed targets (which are more common than in human fights, given the ponies' lack of dexterity and prowess in charging). I'd probably have a targe and a horseman's pick on my belt as closer range weapons.
>>
>>29655811
No gunpowder, ehh? Ok. I'll use my nugget. I've always wanted to go into combat with a spear.
>>
>>29655811
I'll just use my weaponized autism and mememagic
>>
>>29655895
>"PUNY MORTAL. WHAT CAN YOU POSSIBLY DO AGAINST ME, THE GREAT SOMBRA?
"I'm going to duel you."
>"HA! YOU'VE NO BLADE YET YOU WOULD DUEL WITH ME!"
"Not a sword duel, sadcunt. I'm going to face you in Duel Monsters."
>"IN WHAT? WHAT ARE THESE MONSTERS OF DUELING?"
"It's a children's card game."
>"THAT SOUNDS DELIGHTFUL! LET US BEGIN!"
"Let's make this a shadow game too."
>"OH BOY, I LOVE SHADOWS!"
"I was hoping you'd say that."
>>
File: 1489183684251.gif (1MB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1489183684251.gif
1MB, 400x300px
>implying I need a weapon
>implying I won't just square up with Sombra in a chestplate with nothing but my hands

There's something to be said for intimidation. If someone notices you're walking through the middle of a battlefield unscathed with no weapon on you, odds are you're not someone to be trifled with.
Worked for Elliot Spencer.
>>
Bronze tipped Javelin with hardwood and steel backed buckler and as a secondary weapon I would prefer a broadsword. I would probably carry around some a bag of caltrops as well. For Armor I would use studded leather with plates and chain guarding weak points in the armor.
>>
>>29655839
Gauss rifle is a flawed concept and can never be made into a proper carriable weapon. You have better chances making a railgun.
>>
>>29657810
As someone who knows nothing about gauss rifles beyond seeing a few youtube videos, why?
>>
>>29657834
Not that Anon, but they essentially rely on being able to start and stop a series of magnetic pulses quickly enough to launch a projectile at terminal velocity.
It's possible, don't get me wrong, but the end product would be about the size of a person if you wanted to get any sort of legitimate firepower out of it.
>>
>>29657855
I'm a stupid anon, what's the difference between a Gauss rifle and a railgun? I thought they both basically used electromagnets to propel a projectile
>>
>>29656908
How did those work?
>>
>>29657834
The Gauss gun has an extremely low efficiency - only about 1-7% of the capacitors' charge is converted into kinetic energy of the projectile. The main (and only) way to counteract this is to use a multistage launch system (with multiple coils used) - this way you can raise the efficiency up to 27% (for reference, average bullet motion efficiency of a typical pistol engine is 32%)

Using multiple coils, however, results in another concept flaw - as the speed of the projectile grows, each following coil has to be activated earlier and with a higher magnetic field power.
And essentially, to increase the shot power the inductivity of coils has to be increased, however, to increase the impulse speed (the coil switching process) the inductivity of the whole system has to be decreased.

Even if humanity were to invent a much more compact and powerful energy sources to make a Gauss gun viable - they would be better off used in a railgun to a much greater effect.

Gauss gun is the one that has multiple coils along the barrel.
Railgun is the one that has a pair of parallel conductors instead.
Acceleration in a Gauss gun is achieved via magnetic force. In a railgun - via Lorentz force.
>>
>>29658029
Compressed air I'm assuming, since it says air rifle
>>
>>29658087
Ah I see, so the Gauss gun is just like "let's put a magnet there to pull the bullet forward!" whereas the railgun actually uses a much more practical concept
>>
>>29658041
Sombra/Anon fart green when?
>>
>>29658017
Not that anon, but they're two completely different principles beyond just 'magnets, yo'.

Railgun uses a current flowing across the projectile itself between the two rails; this creates the force on the projectile. No current, no force.
>Pros: Much simpler, just turn the current on and it goes. No complicated switching gear required.
>Cons: Magnetic forces also try to push the rails apart from each other; projectile must survive intense currents flowing through it, theoretically lower barrel lifespan due to arcing from current flow

Coilgun uses current flowing through coils wrapped around the barrel to create the magnetic force on the projectile. Each stage of coil must be turned on as the projectile nears it, then the current inverted to repulse it after the projectile passes.
> Pros: No current traveling through the projectile increases barrel life and simplifies projectiles. Theoretically higher absolute velocities.
> Cons: Complicated and bulky switching gear to control coil switching and achieve practically high velocities; high-end models suffer from difficulties switching in time

The short version is that railguns have lower maximum performances and greater wear, but are technically much easier to get a useful velocity out of than coilguns.
>>
Alternatively, what about some sort of particle canon? Assuming magic gives you unrealistic power sources, use a laser beam to temporarily clear a narrow area of air by super-heating it, then accelerate the desired amount of particles to the desired energy and shoot it through the vacuum.

Boom instant flash-fry
>>
>>29655811
>be moderately skilled with a bow
>have twiggy piggy fashion me a series of portable holes
>fashion thimbles of holding
>attach each to simple tools at the end of arrows
>when fired once making contact with anything the portable hole is shoved into the thimble of holding
>oh look, magical equivalent of mini nukes
>>
I choose a large stick

>How are you going to fight sombra
By hitting him with it
>>
>>29655811
A poleaxe, naturally.
>>
File: honk.png (415KB, 718x565px) Image search: [Google]
honk.png
415KB, 718x565px
>>29655811
my dick
>>
File: Kliklak_02.jpg (101KB, 1200x1806px) Image search: [Google]
Kliklak_02.jpg
101KB, 1200x1806px
The next thing you say will be Crystals.

Crystalzzzz... oh!!
>>
>>29655811
Potions.
Preferably those that react with spoopy ass Sombra fumes, turning him into harmless dirt or an explosion or something.
>>
>>29658136
>>29655839
>>29658087

Could you not have all coils on at once, and then just reverse their magnetism as the object passes by?
>>
>>29659832
>reverse their magnetism
That's... not how it works, anon.
>>
>>29659860
Changing the flow of current in an electromagnet also changes the polarity. Imprecise term, but is that not how it works
>>
>>29659949
Changing polarity of a magnet won't make it repel instead of pulling.

Magnets only repel specific metals or other magnets.
If you are using a diamagnetic metal - you won't be able to pull it, to begin with (not to mention, a diamagnetic reaction is always weak).
You can do this trick by shooting remotely controlled electromagnets as projectiles but I highly doubt it'll go towards increasing the efficiency of the whole system.
>>
>>29655811
Hey! Listen! Sombra is supposed to be evil, so...this seems logical.
>>
File: 50f.png (1MB, 989x1334px) Image search: [Google]
50f.png
1MB, 989x1334px
>>29658087
>Lorentz force
Now theres a pretty weapon, exquisite.
>>
>>29658090
Austrian Skirmishers used them they are actually pretty cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dZLeEUE940
>>
File: IMG_4629.jpg (204KB, 1600x951px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4629.jpg
204KB, 1600x951px
I take no prisoners.
>>
File: image.jpg (23KB, 668x162px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23KB, 668x162px
Good old kreigemesser
>>
>>29655811
A Roomba.
>>
>>29656551
A falx is a bladed weapon. Pretty much any bladed weapon is going to be mostly useless against armor, unless the blade is only there to give the point something to sit on (longsword) or it's a relatively heavy blade (falchion or axe), and even then not against plate.
>>
>>29655811

Can I have a frostbow? I have a bit of hobbyist training as I own a compound bow, and I've got the upper body strength in spades, me being a biped should compensate for the rest.

No fucking way am I prepared to go into melee, I have neither the reaction time, dexterity, strength nor magical ability to compete with a pony.
>>
>>29655979
With the amount of magic you can draw from Sombra, his army and your allies you can probably wipe the entire dimension.
>>
>>29655811
>Fighting for Celestia
Yeah, no. I switch bands. At least King sombra cares about his slaves.
>>
>No gunpowder.

Ok then, I'll use gun cotton instead.
>>
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I suspect that Equestria never signed any international agreements concerning warfare.
That means that stuff that would be considered war crimes here (like the use of chemical weapons) are A-OK. *evil grin*
>>
>>29660921

Not a valid excuse, Anon. Your body odor is still a banned weapon.
>>
>>29660954
That's my cologne: Eau de Zyclon B
>>
>>29659832
>>29659949

You're partially on to how coilguns work, but you're also partially missing some points.

Magnetic fields dramatically fall off in strength as you pull distance from their source, so - when the bullet is at the beginning - turning on the further coils has a miniscule effect compared to the closer ones but still imposes the same load on your power supply as the closer coils. Thus, turning on everything at once is multiple times more costly for very little gain. It's much more advantageous to turn the coils while the projectile is near them.

Now, reversing the current - this is absolutely a feature in some coilgun designs, and many do incorporate both push-pull actions. The problem is that as your bullet gets faster, your switches have to get faster as well - and high-speed switches (especially for the kinds of energies coilguns use) are costly and bulky at the moment. Further complicating this is that the coils can act as an inductor - storing electrical energy in them. To reverse the generated magnetic field you not only have to overcome this (further imposing time costs) but your switch and power supply gear has to be capable of withstanding this as well.
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.