[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /mlp/ think of how the show handles "redemption

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 9

File: reformed villains.jpg (244KB, 1280x618px) Image search: [Google]
reformed villains.jpg
244KB, 1280x618px
What does /mlp/ think of how the show handles "redemption arcs"?

Were any of the characters better off as antagonists, or could their character arcs have gone in different directions and still have worked in reoccurring roles?
>>
File: 1485978578216.png (1MB, 1200x2300px) Image search: [Google]
1485978578216.png
1MB, 1200x2300px
>>29409266
Trixie is good as both villian or not.
Discord needs to go, he will not be missed cuz he sucks anyway.
Chrysalis must keep herself evil because she is creepy. No one wants a chrysalis like pic related.
King sombra should return and do good things. Can you imaginate Celestia face when she realized that King sombra is a good person all along ?.
>>
>>29409337
>cuz
> ?.

Go away
>>
>>29409337
Nah, I couldn't see Sombra as a straight-up "reformed" villain.

At the absolute best, he could maybe work as a "Dr. Doom" type antagonist; more than willing to be a tyrannical fuck, laboring under some vain notion of striving for a "greater good" that'd only really benefit himself.. but ALSO flexible enough to lawyer around the MC's morals, and do good unto others for no other reason than to boost his ego and make the Princesses look out-of-touch and ineffective by comparison.
>>
>>29409266
Sombra is dead.
>>
>>29409598
Hey now, it differs by writer, but more often than not, Dr. Doom is a benevolent ruler for the people of Latveria, to the point where they legitimately love him. He is, however, the poster boy for "right thing for the wrong reason". But Sombra would fit that role perfectly. Petty and small in every action he takes, but taking excellent care of his kingdom. It's just too bad he already proved he abuses his power heavily, so I don't see how he'd change. Or why he would even want to.
>>
>>29409337
>Can you imaginate Celestia face when she realized that King sombra is a good person all along
if you want to spit in the face of every bit of lore around him, sure.
>>
File: 1477355023375.jpg (558KB, 2343x3244px) Image search: [Google]
1477355023375.jpg
558KB, 2343x3244px
>>29409266
>What does /mlp/ think of how the show handles "redemption arcs"?
Terribly

Were any of the characters better off as antagonists, or could their character arcs have gone in different directions and still have worked in reoccurring roles?

Trixie should have never been a villain, the whole nonsense with the Alicorn Amulet should never have happened. Trixie is at her best when she's simply a heel, being a person that Twilight simply can't stand to get along with. She's actually a little better now in her role as Glimmer's friend since she's around to grate on Twilight's nerves.

I'm okay with Discord being demoted from most threatening villain in the series to chaotic prankster, but it could have been handled better. Him being suckered by Tirek was retardedly out of character for someone as old and intelligent as he's supposed to be.

Diamond Tiara being reformed was just a flat out mistake, and it wasn't a satisfying story at all. This was the sort of self-reflection and personal growth story arc that needed to happen over a whole season, not one episode.

Hate what they did to Glim Glam. Hate even more that for some reason everyone was willing to forgive her for being a sociopathic cult leader, including the people she directly harmed.
>>
>>29409994
what lore? has he ever been anything but grr crystals?
>>
File: otko trumpfags.jpg (43KB, 321x450px) Image search: [Google]
otko trumpfags.jpg
43KB, 321x450px
>>29410085
They're talking about the comics.

It's like they can't comprehend that some people dislike the comics and consider them non-canon.
>>
File: 17145.gif (1MB, 480x287px) Image search: [Google]
17145.gif
1MB, 480x287px
>>29410085
in the timeline episode he was creating mind control helmets for his severely unhappy followers, turning them into loyal slaves. thats ignoring the more blatant show they made of his first appearance where his entire empire was dead inside from his reign.
hes not good no matter how you slice it.

>>29410102
>They're talking about the comics
>pic related
>>
>>29409266
We need to repurpose the figure of speech "better die a hero than see yourself become the villain" for villains becoming poor caricatures of their former selves.
>>
>>29409981
Maybe they could partially justify his reasoning by explaining why he put his kingdom through so much shit just to dig for a bunch of lousy crystals, since those were probably important to some unexplained master plan he might've had. Maybe he thought, if he put one generation of ponies through that kind of abuse, he'd basically be making them into martyrs to serve for a "better" future where he rules over everything, and could focus on the actual betterment of his kingdom instead of placing all his efforts into preventing sabotage, or intervention from the Alicorn Princesses.

Judging from his color scheme alone, I wouldn't put it past writers to make him a wildly conceited turbo-autist who legitimately thinks dictatorships can serve a common good in the long-term.
>>
File: latest.png (1MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
1MB, 1280x720px
>>29409266
The glass of water song is the only thing that made Discord being redeemed any better for me.

Starlight being redeemed was far more acceptable to me. I don't like her much, but I think knowing that my actions would lead Equestria into eternal winter-

Wait, wrong episode.

I don't particularly like Starlight, and I do like Discord. However, I think it would have made more sense for Discord to remain a bad guy. Unfortunately, that would mean that we wouldn't have the glass of water song, so I'm not too upset about it.
>>
File: make frogs great again.gif (1MB, 680x849px) Image search: [Google]
make frogs great again.gif
1MB, 680x849px
>>29410140
>Can you imaginate Celestia face when she realized that King sombra is a good person all along ?
Good Sombra was from comics.
>what lore? has he ever been anything but grr crystals?
Explaining to him that anon was referring to the Good Sombra from the comics. The show itself has nothing more than grr crystals pony mussolini.

You're welcome.
>>
>>29411482
Didn't even the "normal" Sombra get a redemption arc, or was that just a bad dream?
>>
>>29409266
sombra is dead
>>
>>29412027
Lich.
>>
>>29412027
He might still get better.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.