[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people on this board hate Nyx so much? As far as OCs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 20

File: 990908.png (153KB, 600x557px) Image search: [Google]
990908.png
153KB, 600x557px
Why do people on this board hate Nyx so much?

As far as OCs go she's actually not that bad of a character and is more or less just Nightmare Moon given a second chance at life.
>>
>>29362217
naruto did it better.
>>
>>29362217

She is a meme
>>
>>29362217
>Why do people on this board hate Nyx so much?
Your pic says it all, though.
>>
I never bothered finding out who Nyx is. Why does everyone have beef with her?
>>
File: 453453463463463463.jpg (21KB, 439x290px) Image search: [Google]
453453463463463463.jpg
21KB, 439x290px
>>29362581
Read Past Sins to find out.
>>
>>29362581

A mysterious cult seeks to bring back Nightmare Moon, after the spell goes wrong it results in a filly being born instead with no memories of Nightmare Moon (or really anything) but sharing several features such as colors, being an alicorn and dagger shaped eyes. The latter being why Nyx has a disguise in the first place. Although the headband doesn’t really disguise anything. Also Twilight having to deal with if Nyx is truly Nightmare Moon or just the failed result of the spell having to hide her from Celestia in fears she will send her to the moon like with Nightmare Moon.

A lot of cringe, edgyness and forcer feels SU tier.

Literally another overrated fanfic like my little dashie
>>
they said she'd be in episode 200.
>>
>>29362663
Ah, I see now.
>>
>>29362217
The answer lies in the history of the fandom.
>>
>>29362217

My biggest gripe is the awful color scheme combined with black outlines.
You literally can't see her mouth or outlines unless you highlight the image or set your screen to a too bright setting.
It's the artist in me that hates this. When you look at Nightmare moon, she has pale blue outlines that contrast really nice against the dark colors.
Nyx's official colors are dark with a black outline, which looks fucking awful.
>>
>>29362217
>>
There's literally nothing to be mad about with Nyx and if you're triggered by her you're just as bad as the Barneyfags that shit themselves when you post ponies.
>>
>>29362217
Because of shitposting.
>>
>>29362663
People seem to like copypasting my derpibooru comments as of late.

Also you removed certain details such as Past Sins was made when Nightmare Moon was the only big baddy at the time.
>>
>>29363024
>You literally can't see her mouth or outlines
Agree 100%!
I'm pretty sure some artists have screwed up their gamma. A lot of drawings only come into their right if you increase it to the levels where "a dark 1st person shooter becomes a lot easier."
>>
File: 1485620699609.gif (4MB, 500x367px) Image search: [Google]
1485620699609.gif
4MB, 500x367px
>>29362217
>>
File: 1485620699609.gif (2MB, 749x550px) Image search: [Google]
1485620699609.gif
2MB, 749x550px
>>29364792
sorry wrong pic
>>
>>29364583
Yeah, when it came out it was during the S1 hiatus where fanworks had their first massive surge of productivity.
>>
>>29362217
People hate her?
>>
>>29362217
Nyx did nothing wrong
>>
File: 1483483439986.gif (126KB, 720x480px) Image search: [Google]
1483483439986.gif
126KB, 720x480px
>>29362217
Here's that reply you wanted, ebic dude
>>
>>29362217
It's not nyx it's her fans that are fucking annoying. I understand that they like nyx and it's entertaining for them but they keep coming how it so well written. It's not, it's shit, it's cringy and lame. That doesn't mean it's not entertaining and if someone likes her by all means I'm happy for them enjoying it, just don't try to push it on others how an actual garbage is well written.
>>
>>29362611
>read shitty fan fiction
Naw, I'm good
>>
>>29366979

Hi Background Pony #AC62. Did you get banned from derpibooru?
>>
>>29366992
Long time ago. But back than it was because I picked a fight with the admin over the tags. After that I don't really keep track.
>>
>>29366992
Which one are you anyway? Just so I know where I've left off with you.
>>
>>29364589
on the topic of dark shooters, how the fuck am I supposed to see where I'm going in Black Mesa
that game is so fucking dark holy shit I have my gamma and brightness up all the way and i can't see jack shit
fuck
/rant
>>
>>29362217
I never gave a shit about Nxy. You are the reason I started hating her because you spam threads about her on /mlp/ 24/7 even though they only get about 10 replies and then disappear every single time
>>
File: 899999.png (353KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
899999.png
353KB, 1000x1000px
>>29364583
t. King of the Nyxfags
>>
>>29366979
It's not starlight it's her fans that are fucking annoying. I understand that they like glimmer and it's entertaining for them but they keep coming how it so well written. It's not, it's shit, it's cringy and lame. That doesn't mean it's not entertaining and if someone likes her by all means I'm happy for them enjoying it, just don't try to push it on others how an actual garbage is well written.
>>
>>29366979
"it's not nyx it's her fans"

If I had a penny...

If I had some magical time machine to bring you back to 2014 and show you the reactions nyx got before I started this endless crusade you'd be eating that assumption.

"oh I never hated nyx I only hated her because her fans"
Bull shit. again, back in 2014 there was barely any fans for nyx besides me and yet the hate I get today is the same hate I got back then. Difference is I hear it more often. This "hate for fans" is just a justification to degrade current nyx. You wanna know the reason she is hated? Memes. It's a meme, a bandwagon to hate on nyx and always has been. You said it yourself on derpibooru. You never read it and you're still going to assume it's bad. So many good things out there are degraded because of that line of thinking without checking on it to see. Undertale is a good example. It's going to always be hated and people still say "undermeme" but any rational person that has played it will know there's more to it. Something one sided thinking will never allow you to do. You hate things not because you want to, but because you're lazy and unable to do it yourself, and by seeing the bandwagon you "have to" hate it. This very same agenda is why Trump is so controversial. People would rather believe word of mouth than any evidence. I remember a russian defector said along the lines, being indoctrinated will mean no matter what is shown people will never believe. You could bring people to the gulags and they'd still think Russia and Communism is amazing.
>>
File: are you fucing me lyra.png (58KB, 400x320px) Image search: [Google]
are you fucing me lyra.png
58KB, 400x320px
>>29364583
Let's take the 'only baddy' thing into consideration, analyse it, and correct me if I'm wrong:
>A mysterious cult seeks to bring back Nightmare Moon
-For no reason other than just to create a drama which the story can revolve around
>spell goes wrong it results in a filly being born
-convenient accident cliché
>with no memories of Nightmare Moon (or really anything)
-cringe level amnesia cliché
>being an alicorn and dagger shaped eyes
I'd say special snowflake cliché but I'll let it go in regards to the twilicorn episode
>The latter being why Nyx has a disguise in the first place
An alicorn filly with different mane(which is the main distinguishing feature in mlp) that looks nothing like nightmare moon needs a disguise because no reason just to create an event and have an excuse to involve rarity
> hide her from Celestia
(Celestia not being reasonable is kind of a cannon contradiction, but meh so be it) Nobody tries to negotiate and and explain things and the writer forces the characters to act on assumption just to keep the drama going because if people would sit down and talk through things it would solve the situation fast, efficiently, and boringly. -90's brasilian soap opera tier cringe cliché.
And let's not talk about the suicide attempt at the end which is an anime tier feels cliché, forcing one of the characters to resolve the entire conflict with suicide, instead of providing a reasonable solution to the drama, on top of all, this is just to create an event for the drama causing character to conclude the story which is almost like a deus ex machina tier cliché.
This is why I think it's poorly written but I haven't read the story so I'd appreciate it if you had enlightened me if I missed anything, though looking at the summary being nothing more than a list of clichés, I dread what horrors the rest of this hideous abomination holds.
>>
>>29367267
Exactly. Now you know how I feel. I enjoy glim glam. I do think she would have been a better die hard antagonist than chryssie, but regardless her reformation story was indeed "lacking professionalism".
>>
>>29367447
First off.

I simplified things when I said all that. You'd know if you actually read the story

Second

You berate the story for its cliches yet I bet you'd turn a blind eye to the show doing such things and everything is an excuse when you look at it from a certain angle. How many times has the show had very questionable cliches that probabily match Past Sins? "conflict is bad boohoo" it's called narrative you english drop out. If there was no conflict, no drama what point would there even be? It wouldn't even be a story at that point. Dismissed as any other OC fic. No, Past Sins had more to it than that. You can argue that it took off due to the early 2011 fandom but pray tell, why was it specifically past sins that took off? Not any other good "superior" stories as you might try to convince me? And don't even start going "well the good stories are too complex and aren't as easily understood" you'll just sound like a major snob to do so.
>>
>>29367484
oh and stop looking up that one cliche website for all your points. It makes it even more evidence you're nitpicking
>>
Here a fact

Haters don't read past sins because they are't afraid to be wrong.

If you read the fics you will love nyx because the top tier quality of the writing and character development that can be compared with any S1/S2 tier episode
>>
>>29367426
> a bandwagon to hate on nyx and always has been
The same goes to nyx hypers

>You never read it and you're still going to assume it's bad. So many good things out there are degraded because of that line of thinking without checking on it to see.
Vast majority of the brony textwalls are a shit. Not only extremely poorly written but unlike what nyx might be, they are not entertaining at all. Just a prolonged description of the environment and over glorified actions as a response to painfully forced events. If every wolf is trying to eat you it's save to assume that the next wolf you see is not going to be friendly either. The line of though you are belittling kept your ancestors safe so you can shitpost here. You want to take the risk, go ahead, don't judge people for not risking to waste their time on reading garbage.

>Undertale is a good example
Indeed, however indie games have a lot more better rate of producing entertaining stuff than bronies. You don't expect your food to be poisoned by the local baker...

>You hate things not because you want to, but because you're lazy and unable to do it yourself, and by seeing the bandwagon you "have to" hate it.
The exact same applies to the exact same amount of nyx lovers.

>This very same agenda is why Trump is...
Everything after this is unrelated to our topic. If anything, it only enforces my opinion since he won.
>>
>>29367447
Meh, I actually enjoyed Past Sins.

There's trope and there's cliche. Tropes aren't bad - everything is a trope. I'd argue that while it does have its cliches, a lot of the rest of it is tropes and doesn't automatically mean the story is bad.

E.g.
>cringe level amnesia cliche
Amnesia is a real thing, and it causes you to lose your memory. Are you saying that nobody should ever write stories about anything or anyone with amnesia ever again? If so, that's stupid. It's like saying "gunfights are sooo cliche in modern action movies, it's so overdone, any movie with a gunfight is cliche and shit". No. An unrealistic, over-the-top gunfight that serves little purpose to advance the plot is always going to be bad. But a well-written, well-made gunfight can and will enhance a movie.

Similarly, most tropes can be written well. The amnesia here wasn't hamfisted in (in the "oh no I woke up but don't remember anything for no particular reason, woops what a convenient plot devise" sense), so I think it's justified.

Now it's been years since I actually read it so I can't comment on the finer points. Another comment I thought of, though:
>a mysterious cult seeks to bring back Nightmare Moon for no reason other than to revolve the story around it
It's called a premise. There is, in fact, an in-universe explanation for it, as well. Even if there wasn't, cultists or bad guys aren't rare. See
>Sombra decided to enslave ponies for no reason other than to create drama when he inevitably returns and have the episodes revolve around it
>ISIS decided to create an extremist islamist state and butcher everyone they can get their hands on for no reason other than... just because? If history were fiction, you could just say "to create drama and have this bit of history revolve around it".

It certainly, absolutely does have its flaws. It's also pretty overrated, yes. It's definitely not My Little Dashie tier bad, however.
>>
File: 1482007492464.jpg (86KB, 361x492px) Image search: [Google]
1482007492464.jpg
86KB, 361x492px
>>29362217
>Why do people on this board hate Nyx so much
>Posts an image explaining why people hate nyx so much
>>
>>29367560
"no u"
"everything is shit"
"yeah but that's them"
"no u"
"it's not related because x"
>>
I FUCKING LOVE NYX
>>
>>29367562
I don't know why I keep writing this but let me comment on a few more points.

>being an alicorn and dagger shaped eyes
She's literally nightmare moon but filly. It's the literal premise of the story. If you don't like the idea of the premise, that's fine, but that doesn't mean that the writing is bad.

>hide her from Celestia
>What is AU?
Not everything has to conform to canon. Like I said I don't quite remember the details of the story so this may very well be a valid point. But if the writer chose to make Celestia more paranoid, again, that doesn't mean that the writing is all bad and the story is shit.

Also, good fanfiction exists, it's just really, really rare. Never just go by popularity because you'll get things like My Little Dashie or Rainbow Factory or, yes, Past Sins (which is alright and entertaining but not "good, publishable writing" tier).

I'd tentatively recommend iisaw's writing, MrNumber's "The Mare who Lived in the Moon", and if you enjoy satire of everything and a more drawn-out writing style some of Estee's work.
Iisaw is just light-spirited adventure (I say light-spirited in the sense that there isn't any 2deep4me or 2dark4me edgy shit; not in the sense that there are no villains and no tension or anything). The Mare is a steampunk AU with a balanced writing style and it's just good. Estee does have drawn-out descriptions and streams of consciousness, but as someone who hates long boring descriptions I can confidently say I have never ended up skimming paragraphs to get to the good parts.

If you read something like Dashie or the Hard Reset trilogy then it's really easy to get put off.
>>
File: spike dick tail.png (147KB, 1024x863px) Image search: [Google]
spike dick tail.png
147KB, 1024x863px
>>29367484
>I simplified things when I said all that. You'd know if you actually read the story
That's why I'm asking you to correct me. I've told you my concerns and reason why I fear that reading it would be a huge waste of my time. Now I'd like you to tell me the good parts, reasons why I should read it. I promise if you can convince me that it's entertaining or well written I'll read it, and see if any assumption I've made so far is wrong. Your summary so far is just scaring me away...

> you'd turn a blind eye to the show doing such things and everything is an excuse when you look at it from a certain angle
No I don't. What made you think I would?

>How many times has the show had very questionable cliches that probabily match Past Sins
Lots. And I agree with you. Many episodes are full of clichés and I've debated that back at MLPchan while it existed. However I still feel like you are confusing good writing with entertaining. Let me give you an example: I don't know if you remember the detective series called Culombo. It was well written but was not entertaining. On the other hand most capeshit movies are entertaining but extremely poorly written. Keep in mind that these have visual and audio effects that play a large part in making it entertaining. In a text wall story it's very hard to make something entertaining without being well written, because there are no visual or audio effects. In the show's case, though it's poorly written, it gets away with it by being entertaining. The question is, can nyx get away it too? And keep in mind, just because it was entertaining for you it may not be entertaining for others. Especially for me who actually liked culombo...
>>
File: GettyImages-489622392-714x470.jpg (78KB, 714x470px) Image search: [Google]
GettyImages-489622392-714x470.jpg
78KB, 714x470px
>>29367490
There is a website for clichés?
>>
File: wet_nyx_by_leovictor-d4v27jf.jpg (214KB, 807x1250px) Image search: [Google]
wet_nyx_by_leovictor-d4v27jf.jpg
214KB, 807x1250px
>>29362217
I'm, mostly indifferent to Nyx, but I would happily use adult Nyx as a cumdumpster and general outlet for all the horrible fetishes I don't want to inflict on my waifu
>>
>>29367647
Ignore that nigger who seems to think Past Sins is the best thing ever and read my autism instead >>29367562 and >>29367631

tl;dr it's not stellar writing but it's good as a light read, I at least found it interesting
>>
File: twilight ass.jpg (165KB, 530x511px) Image search: [Google]
twilight ass.jpg
165KB, 530x511px
>Are you saying that nobody should ever write stories about anything or anyone with amnesia ever again?
It may sounded like that, sorry, but that's not the point. It can be used if the story is about it just like autism was portrayed in rainman, or as something that is used to enrich the background like having an amnesiac relative someone needs to attend to and can not assist in solving the drama, but I don't think it should be used as a convenience to progress the story or create the setting.

>It's called a premise. There is, in fact, an in-universe explanation for it, as well. Even if there wasn't, cultists or bad guys aren't rare.
>ISIS decided to create an extremist islamist state
Point taken, I take that back.
However I'd debate if sombra's shit was subtle enough to be considered well written or not.

>It's also pretty overrated, yes. It's definitely not My Little Dashie tier bad, however.
I'll keep that in mind, thank you.
>>
File: lauren-approves.gif (1MB, 1000x690px) Image search: [Google]
lauren-approves.gif
1MB, 1000x690px
>>29367581
Well it was nice arguing with you. I'll get back to you when you have the time or feel like having a meaningful conversation. I really want to hear what you have to say.
>>
File: russia-putin.jpg (58KB, 970x854px) Image search: [Google]
russia-putin.jpg
58KB, 970x854px
>>29367631
>She's literally nightmare moon but filly.
Should I imagine a filly who has all the weird nightmare moon features like the mist blob hair, sharp muzzle, and different shaped wings, instead of the oc these people keep spamming?

>Not everything has to conform to canon.
As far as I can tell it follows the comic setting since luna and nightmare moon are different entities. However the comic is non canon. I think it's a bit of a stretch that we are talking about a non-canon fanfic of a non-cannon comic...
And not being paranoid is one of Celestia's main personal traits that was established right off the bat in the form of giving luna another chance after seeing how maniacal she was as nightmare moon. I still feel that she's been manipulated for the sake of the drama. Let's say... should the writer had established a valid clever sequences of events and actions that made celestia paranoid, that I would've read.

>Also, good fanfiction exists, it's just really, really rare. Never just go by popularity because you'll get things like My Little Dashie or Rainbow Factory or, yes, Past Sins (which is alright and entertaining but not "good, publishable writing" tier).
Agreed.

>I'd tentatively recommend...
I'll give them a shot when I have the time, thanks.
>>
>>29367647
>Now I'd like you to tell me the good parts, reasons why I should read it.

Even if I did you'd throw away my arguments. This is why I never debate on /mlp/. You can give points after points after points and you'd still never make any prorgess.
>>
File: images.png (8KB, 250x202px) Image search: [Google]
images.png
8KB, 250x202px
>>29367913
Look. I don't throw away your arguments. However if there is a flaw in your conclusion and I point it out then you can't expect me to be convinced just to make you feel good. If you think I was wrong please point it out and I can either explain or think about it and accept your point of view if it is indeed a logical reason.

But have it your way. We'll talk about it when you feel like arguing about it again. Thanks for the conversation anyway.
>>
>>29367912
Nah the OC is what she is. I think it's fine because she still keeps features from NMM, and it does add to the plot (and I'd say creating drama is not a bad thing because it does drive plot - assuming of course the drama is justified, which I think it is), and at the same time she's not some ultra-snowflake pony that doesn't fit in at all.

(Also sharp muzzle is for grown princesses - e.g. Twiligh doesn't have it. You do have a point about wings, but I don't remember if it's ever been mentioned in the story what exact shape they were, so that might just be from the fanart.)
>>
>>29367912
I have to say, it's difficult to conform to canon no matter the scenario. Even with the revision of the story for S2 canons, the characters personality in the show always changes. What someone in S3 might think as a persons character might be a completely different "character" in S6

Then remember that this was written when characters such as Celestia had little to no character. Not that she does now mind you...And many people have the assumption of Luna and NMM being different entities even now. I also think the comics was after Past Sins got made, on that note. Even if they are "out of character" Penstroke still managed to predict a lot of events or even how certain characters would react well in advance just by the little bits of infomation he had from S1 and S2

There is two versions of Past Sins.

The original which I can't remember what it's hosted on, and the 2012 revision which is up on fimfiction. Biggest reason Penstoke didn't revise it further is because he has limited edition prints of the book.

If there is a good point I can settle on it's that it remembered Twist was a character. Neither fandom or show does that nowadays. And I doubt there was a lot of Twist fanfiction back in 2011...Well probabily was but not very well written.
>>
>>29367971
>>29367985
Well it's kind of a nit pick on my side but it really of reeks of excuse to have a hiding from gestapo scenario. Not to mention to get rarity involved. Don't get me wrong there is nothing wrong with an undercover theme if it's set up right. But it's not. From what I can tell, it would have been better if he just left the amnesia part out and made nyx paranoid instead of celestia by fearing that celestia would do something bad to her while she's trying to become good. Or something.

It's like killing your self twice with the same stone instead of getting two birds without the rock.
>>
>>29368067
Actually Celestia doesn't hunt nyx or anything of the sort, and when she does she confronts Twilight and convinces her to let her take her.

It's more of the cult that's the gestapo. The leader of the cult (Celestia is unaware he is part of the cult) convinces Celestia that an old zebra ritual will allow her to see if Nyx is harboring any intent of harm or if she is simply the filly she appears to be. Turns out that "ritual" was a spell to restore Nyx into NMM.

I did specifically like the moment when the cult has a research team saying how they're trying to modify plants to adapt to an eternal night and addressing the obvious errors of an eternal night
>>
>>29368112
Well I can see how people find it entertaining. Still not convinced about the writing. I try to give it a shot and get back to you if I made any progress.
>>
:^)
>>
File: 1365616017379.gif (148KB, 500x325px) Image search: [Google]
1365616017379.gif
148KB, 500x325px
>>29362611
Why do you keep posting images that answer your post, OP?
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.