[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Huh, never noticed that globe before. So I guess the planet the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 12

File: IMG_4316.jpg (191KB, 750x878px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4316.jpg
191KB, 750x878px
Huh, never noticed that globe before. So I guess the planet the Ponies live on isn't dominated entirely by Equestria if we extrapolate from the inconsistent lore and background details.

Let's speculat about what other land masses and their inhabitants exist on the planet before the movie tells us and lets us down.
>>
>>29051651
>thread about actual show discussion
>0 replies, page 8
>anon filly thread
>400 replies

please clap
>>
File: Map_of_Equestria_2015.jpg (1MB, 1400x860px) Image search: [Google]
Map_of_Equestria_2015.jpg
1MB, 1400x860px
>>29051651
That map on the bottom is a bit hard to read.
>>
>>29051651
First we need to know which continent Equestria is.
>>
>>29051651
Saddle Arabia has to be somewhere. I'm sure there are plenty other countries
>>
>>29051651
she's a kitty cat
>>
>>29052218
Is Equestria a country or continent? Or is it like Australia?
>>
>>29051651
I take back everything I ever said about mobileposters. This is the best thread on the board right now. Who am I kidding, since hiatus started.

On-topic: That's actually a really good question. What are all the other countries up to?
>>
>>29051651
I wouldn't take this globe too seriously. I bet the artist was lazy and just drew a bunch of water and landmass to make something without regards to the lore. Well, lore that we aren't 100% sure on.
>>
>>29052231
It looks like a peninsula of a larger piece of land. It is surrounded by water on all sides except the Frozen North which is Crystal Kingdom territory
>>
File: mopp_4_high_res.jpg (30KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
mopp_4_high_res.jpg
30KB, 400x300px
>>29051651
It doesn't matter, they'll invade these foreign lands and claim them for friendship and remove the current leaders and insert another one, just like in ponyville.
>>
>>29052159
Holy shit this board is fucking autism on the subatomic level now.
>inb4 >now
>>
>>29052239
To me that makes it interesting, there's noting firmly established yet so speculating is more fun
>>
>>29051651
>an actual thread relating to the show not involving the fandom at all
It's like an early Christmas present. Maybe this board has some hope after all. Thanks anon. You made my week.
>>
>>29052159
DUDE, DISCUSSION, LOL
>>
>>29051651
I've honestly never quite understood where the "Equestria is the whole world" thing came from.

If we look at the climates it contains, it's obviously in only one hemisphere - which also means it likely only covers a fraction of that hemisphere at most. Hell, even if we go back and look at the earliest concepts it was never intended that Equestria be everywhere. The pitch outright describes them exploring beyond Equestria.

I'd honestly expect there to be considerably more other nations:
> We have evidence of at least two semi-independent nation-states (Mareitonia and Saddle Arabia). Interestingly the former apparently has pony rulership, while the latter has larger, cutie markless pony-like equines.
> Griffonstone can't be the only griffon state, both because logic says some of them ought to have rebuilt somewhere and because the breeding population simply isn't large enough to prevent a genetic bottleneck.
> Potentially similar issue with the Yaks, although we don't know how far out Yakyakistan extends. It might be larger and the map only shows the known border.
> Wherever the fuck Zebras are. The old map at least had an Sahara-looking place, but it's up and vanished now

I'd speculate that Saddle Arabia and Maritonia are somewhere to the south of Equestria proper.
>>
>>29052321
God bless you anon, nice defending digits.

I REALLY wanna learn more about the other nations, which I assume are independent since they send ambassadors to be greeted by the Princesses.
>>
>>29052242
M8 it's only got water on two sides.
>>
>>29052284
It's sad, isn't it. Makes the hiatus more unbearable when the content here is usually so shit.
>>
>>29052338
Indeed.

Saddle Arabia is especially interesting to me because of what its inhabitants are. Ponies without magic? Some kind of near-pony subspecies?

Whatever they are, they're of particular interest to me now because they prove Villain!Glimmer right in a fashion - pony (or at least near-pony) society can exist without Cutie Marks. It's just violently fucking about with time that leads to bad ends.

Of course, that brings up another question: What is non-cutie-marked society like? What would a functional Griffon, Saddle Arabian, or Zebra civilization look like? Damn I want to know bad.
>>
File: distant land.png (3MB, 1920x1090px) Image search: [Google]
distant land.png
3MB, 1920x1090px
>>29051651
>Twilight's Kingdom part 1
>Tirek and his brother Scorpan came here from a distant land, intent on stealing Equestrian magic. But Scorpan soon came to appreciate the ways of Equestria
>Scorpan returned to his own land, and Tirek was sent to Tartarus for his crimes.
Those lines helped to introduce Tirek but they also imply there is something more than just Equestria. It will probably continue to be ignored since that story was there just to help move those episodes along.
>>
>>29052478
>>29052446
The sad thing is that a lot of threads used to speculate on the lore only existed for the sake of plot in one or two specific episodes. So forming a cohesive, agreeing narrative on the state of this fictional world is exceedingly difficult.

But if we did it, it'd be legendary.
>>
I think the show focuses too much on character development and is afraid to touch lore. And this actively hurts character development because characters are rarely given entirely new situations to challenge them.
>>
>>29052588
>afraid to touch lore
It's probably easier to avoid it some cases. The lore surrounding Cadance, the Crystal Empire, and alicorns is a hard thing to deal with when they get rammed into the show. Imagine trying to explain why Flurry Heart was born as an alicorn while Twilight had to prove that she was ready for that.
>>
>>29052750
I know. But a little well done exposition wouldn't hurt.
>>
>>29052321
It's a holdover from Season 1, back when the Princess sisters were thought to be all-powerful gods.
>>
>>29052588
Good lore is a backdrop for stories. The moment you start exclusively focusing on lore you remove all mystery and intrigue from the world. See Halo 4.
>>
>>29052915
You mean the backdrops that were twice explicitly ignored in S6 in favor of a meta fan convention and a very poorly done D&D episode?

Without interesting backdrops and situations there's no weight to character development. Nothing involving Rarity opening a new shop could do anything with her, but her being pushed to her limits in an adventure, that would.
>>
File: what.jpg (57KB, 640x547px) Image search: [Google]
what.jpg
57KB, 640x547px
>>29052213

how can it be the Undiscovered West if they mapped it out?
>>
>>29052925
Rarity opening a new shop is way more meaningful than her going out on an adventure for a magical mcguffin. She's a fashion designer and a business owner. Any of the characters can be sent on a generic hero quest, but nobody besides Rarity can do what she does.
>>
>>29052955
How can anything be undiscovered when Celestia and Luna can travel to fucking space?
>>
>>29053115
Yes. Once you get sattelites it reveals the whole map.
>>
I like to think that there are vast regions of the Equestrian globe mostly uninhabited by talking species. It leaves room for the unknown.
>>
>>29052213
Twilight's castle will be destroyed in S7 or the movie.
>>
>>29053115
>>29053136
when you use the term "travel" loosely
it's only in the comics where they ever claimed to actually be able to walk on the moon, in the show Luna was reather sealed IN the moon instead of banned ON the moon. Another reason why the comic is freaking bullshit
>>
File: tirek card.jpg (103KB, 400x568px) Image search: [Google]
tirek card.jpg
103KB, 400x568px
>>29052478
>it was strongly implied Tirek stole all the magic from out of his homeland, turned it into an inhospitable shithole (like he was trying to do to Equestria) and left it for dead so he could find more power (explaining why he appeared so strong in the flashback, but was actually a decrepit old lanklet in Tartarus)
>even after Scorpan betrayed him and the ponies "won", the damage appeared to be irreversible and still existed in the show's present-tense, even after Scorpan returned home, assumedly to return his brother's stolen gains (if not to at least salvage what little there was left of a functioning ecosystem)
I want to see more of the Bad Lands on the show. Tartarus, too. "Twilight's Kingdom" teased at lot of lore in only a few establishing throwaway lines.
>>
>>29052886
Me too. I'd much rather see Discord have a backstory just once than more episodes like MNFbKD or D&D.
>>29053802
>"Twilight's Kingdom" teased at lot of lore
It would be nice if the tree of harmony was explained a little more. Probably won't happen since it was a convenient way to make the elements less prominent and bring rainbow power in. Also developing Starlight will be a part of next season and she has no connection to the elements or the tree which could muddy things. The most that will be seen of it will just be its connection to the map in the castle.
>>
>>29052750
I think the point is that if you give even half a care about lore in the first place, you avoid the bizarre and nonsensical situations like Flurry and the nuLings.
>>
>>29052321
That idea came about because Celestia & Luna controlled the moon and sun, whose sphere of influence is not limited to a single land mass. With that kind of power people assumed their rule was absolute throughout their world.
>>
>>29051651
>ghastly gorge
Show creators confirmed for dkc fans
>>
where would be located the changelings territory?
>>
>>29054642
Far away and across an ocean according to the comics. In any case, it's clearly not in the same time-zone as Ponyville since it's day there when it's night at Twilight's Castle.
>>
>>29054660
>time-zone
wait a second
the changelings captured the princesses
would that mean the sun and moon would've remained still forever?
>>
>>29054696
In the short term, it would take a few hours before it would be a problem because Celestia and Luna only need to use their magic twice a day.

But yes, the changelings would need to find a replacement soon in order to maintain their ruse. Since unicorns used to manage the sun in the old kingdom, we do know it's not a thing only alicorns can do.

Since the changelings were planning on absorbing the love directed at a dozen of the most beloved ponies in Equestria, it's probable the changelings would be strong enough to do the sun/moon themselves.
>>
>>29054811
i know this doesn't really belongs here, but what if Celestia and Luna became alicorns for being the first unicorns to learn to move the sun and the moon?
>>
>>29054403
Ah, fair enough. I've guess I've seen a good number of stories where they are either respected and/or feared worldwide because of that power OR their ability to move sun and moon is considered legendary outside of Equestria, since they mostly keep it to a regular schedule anyhow. It seemed so common I'd assumed that was "the common" headcanon about how things were.

>>29054696
In theory? Maybe. They did in Princess Twilight Sparkle, when Celestia and Luna were grabbed by Discord's vines. If enough time passes the unicorns might try and grab hold of the sun and moon again, although my impression is that Celestia and Luna's personal link with each body took that ability from them.

In practice? The writers no longer give a fuck. The days pass as the B-squad is going to the Hive to rescue everyone, and no explanation is ever given.

>>29055004
It's a common enough idea that appears in fan-work pretty often. If you care about the books being canon, then we know it went a little differently:
> Celly and Luna were always alicorns
> Unification of the tribes had occurred by this point, but unicorns still moved the sun and moon
> The sisters earned their cutie marks by taking over that task, since it was permanently drying up unicorns' magic when they did it
>>
>>29053802
wonder what happened to scorpan
>>
File: I must go, my planet needs me.gif (467KB, 399x300px) Image search: [Google]
I must go, my planet needs me.gif
467KB, 399x300px
>>29056404
>>
>>29052159
>Anonfilly
>/mlp/'s autistic and incoherant way of giving Twilight a kid
>400 replies
>Nyx
>A author's way of giving Twilight a kid with backstory and involving her be powerful with pre-existing characters in a lore friendly way
>hated and shunned

/mlp/ isn't exactly known for being reasonable.
>>
Where did the Arimaspi go?
>>
>>29056422
too soon
>>
>>29056443
Yeah, look at you trying to pass off cancer as gonorrhea.
>>
Remember when the world felt like it had so much potential?
>>
>>29056443
>/mlp/'s autistic and incoherant way of giving Twilight a kid
actually its /mlp/s way of being the little filly. twilight gaining a "daughter" is incidental.
>>
>>29058579
what's this picture from? Is it fanart?
>>
>>29058630
Yep. A veeeeery old fanwork, from early S2 I believe. The first official map was published mid-season 2, but prior to that you saw a lot of theoretical fan products like this.

And most of them are frankly superior quality to anything officially produced.
>>
File: The Known World small.jpg (195KB, 1069x748px) Image search: [Google]
The Known World small.jpg
195KB, 1069x748px
>>29058579
Ah, Where the World Ends. When I first stumbled across the map, I felt so happy. The world was so large, so full of potential. Unfortunately the world's story was never told to my knowledge, don't know what happened, but it was never made.
Link to the full image because holy fuck it's 16 megabytes.
http://orig15.deviantart.net/e73e/f/2011/335/a/4/equestria_and_beyond__rev_8_1_by_hlissner-d46wmzm.jpg
>>
File: 346554784678.jpg (3MB, 4961x7016px) Image search: [Google]
346554784678.jpg
3MB, 4961x7016px
>>29056443
Anonfilly is actually good though and has 4chan charm. It was born here and it's never left here. Nyxshit tries too hard and is reddit-tier.

Also twilight is only anon's stepmom in the shitty non-canon stories
>>
>>29059130
Jesus Christ, just looking at the map brings back memories
>>
File: 1476580978605.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1476580978605.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
Before we start exploring the rest of the world i'd like to see Equestria's history developed a little more.
Like some of the stuff in the 1000 years that Celestia ruled on her own.
You could put alot of shit in 1000 years.
>>
>>29057209
Down a ravine.
>>
>>29059180
Some of the early fan theories about that period are really interesting. I wish they'd explore it more in the show, even if for just one episode about Celestial in a flashback.

The showrunners have surprised us before though, so I haven't completely given up hope on Equestrian lore expansion. I just see it as unlikely.
>>
>>29059180
It really is.

If that kind of thing - the Royal sisters, and what they did before and during Luna's banishment - really interests you, I suggest you read Estee's stuff. It's absolutely amazing.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.