[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Season 1 of The Lion Guard is almost over. Anyone here watching

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

Season 1 of The Lion Guard is almost over. Anyone here watching it? Is it any good?
>>
kys
>>
>>28986109
I have seen the toys everywhere.
I wonder how DA is enjoying it, they a LK fandom central after all.
>>
Watched a few episodes, not all of them.

Not really fappable unless you're into furry.
But as far as being a positive show for kids to watch I'd say it blows MLP:FiM out of the water. MUCH better at addressing issues and teaching lessons. If I had kids I'd be much more comfortable with them watching Lion Guard than Pony.
>>
>>28986109
>Is it any good?
from what little i saw i physically cringed from all the shit. would not watch again.
>>
>>28986173
Not super surprising since about a third of the shit in MLP is directly geared for a mature audience, if not subtly so.
>>
>>28986187
LK has snarky adult jokes too...all cartoons do.

What I was most impressed with was their willingness to address life and death issues head on. One episode had characters attending a funeral and they actually showed the dead body (an elephant) on screen.
Also, LK doesn't run and hide from parent-child interactions like MLP does. LK characters interact with the older generation in almost every show, and sometimes they have problems. Pony barely acknowledges that the characters have parents.

Ultimately it's a question of marketing. Hasbro/DHX's goal is to shill plastic crap so their program is a 22 minute toy commercial. That's their core business...not art.

Disney is an entertainment company. Sure, they like making money on plastic crap too, but their primary business is movies and TV shows. Subsequently they have a stronger arts department and WAY better writers.
>>
>>28986249
>death
pony is TV-Y, they cant do that.

>LK characters interact with the older generation in almost every show, and sometimes they have problems. Pony barely acknowledges that the characters have parents.
theyre also children, while the main cast of mlp is supposedly young adults.
>>
File: IMG_5422.png (362KB, 800x536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5422.png
362KB, 800x536px
>>28986173

>Lion Guard

>a one-dimensional humorless social justice warrior and his Diverse and Tolerant troupe prance about the Pridelands shaming and moral-fagging on all the other animals

>"You drank water?! How DARE you! Didn't you think about all the helpless creatures whose home you're LITERALLY DESTROYING?!"

>"What else were we supposed to do? Die?"

>"LITERALLY YES."

>*calls on his spirit daddy to make the bad animals go away by screaming at the top of his lungs*

>Ono: *WHOO WHOO* RED ALERT RED ALERT! Some Hyenas are literally MURDERING helpless animals and eating them!

>Kion: Carnivores eating other animals?! LION GUARD, ASSEMBLE!
>>
>>28986333
its for five year olds, what the hell would you expect?
Almost every cartoon is morally grey in a lot of areas, because if they addressed issues straight on and didn't show kindness parents would fucking riot
>>
File: 5683658.gif (438KB, 381x212px) Image search: [Google]
5683658.gif
438KB, 381x212px
>>28986333
checked
>>
>>28986333
Hue.
More.
>>
>>28986318
>pony is TV-Y, they cant do that.
And you think LK isn't?
>>
>>28986333
You seem mad.
Did Mommy not let you cash in your Good Boy Points for tendies this week?
>>
>>28986409
She said I needed 40 GBP for muh tendies, but I only have -3600 GBP.
>>
>>28986318
>pony is TV-Y, they cant do that
I'm pretty sure being TV-Y has barely anything to do with MLP dancing around death.
Not to mention the nightmare night episode where they showed a skeleton of Granny Smith, pretty clearly implying that she's dead.
It was s prank, but still.
Also, Twilight has technically committed murder onscreen.
>>
>>28986333
This
The show adresses minorities in a better way
>>
>>28986384
seems it is as well.
i retract my statement.
>>
>>28986429
>Twilight has technically committed murder
Show evidence
>>
>>28986429
merelypretending.jpg
>>
File: sombra feigned death.png (434KB, 569x523px) Image search: [Google]
sombra feigned death.png
434KB, 569x523px
>>28986482
>>
>>28986429
Lion Guard didn't just acknowledge death, which MLP has done (the coffin seen during the CMC H&H Day song)...they made it an integral part of one of the episodes.

The whole Lion King franchise in general has always handled death pretty well, from the death of the main character's father in the first movie to the over-arching theme of the "Circle of Life".

>>28986482
I think he's talking about the "Too Many Pinkie Pies" episode...which would make the observation irrelevant because it did absolutely nothing to address the topic of death.

>>28986318
>theyre also children, while the main cast of mlp is supposedly young adults.
Even with the younger characters they act like the parents don't exist.
In a recent episode Sweetie Belle said "I don't think Rarity would let me go (somewhere)...". Rarity is her fucking sister, not her mother.
And where the hell are Scootaloo's parents/legal guardians after 6 seasons?

Even the young adult characters could interact with their parents a bit more. Twilight is the main character and hers have had ONE LINE in 6 seasons? That's fucked. Do they think parents disappear from a person's life once you turn 18?
Are parents not an important part of the lives of the target audience?

I suspect the real reason MLP does not feature parents is that the toys wouldn't sell well. Market analysis trumps quality storytelling when a toy company is pulling the strings. As an entertainment company Disney has more latitude to work with.
>>
>>28986577
Toys will sell as long as they are female characters. Doesn't matter about age, even Granny Smith toys could sell.
>>
>>28986333
>>28986354
I just don't get why if they think talking about racism/inequality is SO important, why tell it in allegory with species and shit?

Make a cartoon about humans, with real world human problems if you want to do an actually influential race story.
>>
>>28986577
>Rarity is her fucking sister, not her mother.
but shes staying in raritys house when she visits ponyville because her parents live elsewhere. rarity is in charge.
scootaloo has no parents, shes an orphan. while that used to be a meme, i cant defend the idea of her having parents when dash is who shows up to all her significant events.

parents dont play a significant role in the show because they dont play a significant role in someones adult life. you may visit them for holidays, like in hearthbreakers, but other than that yes, you live like they dont exist.
>Are parents not an important part of the lives of the target audience?
if their goal was to teach parental morals, theyd do that, but that largely isnt the focus. theyve had a few family episodes in which they use applejack to teach these lessons, but their parents are insignificant in every way.

>cuz toys
or because they simply think other stories are more interesting most of the time. parents make appearances where they would realistically, and for that im glad.
>>
>>28986652
>why tell it in allegory
Because allegory works and people are entertained by fuzzy animals. Shit, Aesop knew that 2,600 years ago.

>>28986641
>Toys will sell as long as they are female characters.
Tell it to Hasbro, not me.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.