[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

We're 6 seasons in. Are you happy with how the overarching

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

We're 6 seasons in. Are you happy with how the overarching story and worldbuilding turned out?
Do you think the show being episodic rather than serial is a roadblock?
How many more seasons can the show go on while maintaining that format?
>>
File: cloudy.png (146KB, 323x403px) Image search: [Google]
cloudy.png
146KB, 323x403px
>>28973310
>worldbuilding
ahahaha, what?
>>
>>28973310
If they worldbuild more ill be satisfied.
I feel like theyve done a lot with Equestria itself, but there are a lot of characters that obviously have some political relations or power that we saw once and never saw again. id like to see how Equestria deals with diplomacy and foreign relations. If they have to change the format of the show to make story arcs then so be it, better a rounded out show than a static one.
>>
>>28973310
>How many more seasons can the show go on while maintaining that format?
I stopped watching during season 6 because it was fucking shit, so I'm gonna say 5.
>>
>>28973310
I wish there were more "nothing happened" episodes. I wish I could just see cute ponies being nice and maybe solving a little problem to do with feelings, instead of worrying about implications for the future, boring lore, and conflicts that treat characters like absolute shit to make things "interesting". I hate that as soon as things get a little enjoyable, everyone has to whine "FILLER!".
>>
>>28973310
They really don't do enough.
Whenever this is mentioned the echochamber goes "but it's not that kind of show", saying comparisons with the likes of AT, SU or GF are irrelevant.

But now a female lead cartoon sharing at least partly the same demographic has had more worldbuilding and character development in two seasons despite starting off as a lolsorandumb episodic show.
>>
>>28973345
I like those kinds of episodes, but personally they tend to feel more... right? fitting? (im no good with words holy shit) after a major arc or event. its like 'alright we beat the viewers to a pulp with all of this tension and drama, lets wrap em in a blanket and give them hot cocoa and feels'
>>
>>28973358
which cartoon are you referring to?
>>
>>28973365
Star VS I reckon.
>>
>>28973358
>>28973362
it also makes the characters seem more human. they just went through hell and back, they need some time off to rest and recuperate.
MLP might not be that kind of show, but fuck it, spice it up a little, make the people want to see more.
>>
>>28973373
thats what im thinking but id rather not jump to conclusions.
speaking of that show i gotta catch up.
>>
File: br.jpg (66KB, 500x666px)
br.jpg
66KB, 500x666px
>>28973375
>>28973362
>>28973345
>>
>>28973389
you get an internet cookie.
>>
>>28973373
>>28973378
Yes.

Most of the first season was wacky random hijincks episodes, with some introducing the characters.
The finale ended things on a very different note, and S2 has seen a lot of worldbuilding and foreshadowing.
>>
>>28973400
ok yeah thats good plot. give a little tone and idea of the shit that happens, and introduce the cast.
Then, expand beyond and bring in the drama that makes people want more.
Thats like the best base for a good show.
>>
>>28973310
i really wanna see the Saddle Arabians again. And also figure out WTF was up with the mare in the giant ass headdress and the stallion with the weird coat that were sitting with the princesses during the Equestrian Games
>>
>>28973310
I believe that the world building they did this season was a step in the right direction. It was certainty one of the positives to come out of arguable the worst season of the show. If they continue to introduce new places and expand upon the one's they've already created I can see more uniqueness and diversity in coming seasons.

I don't think it being more episodic is the issue, the issue is that the new writers seemingly have not watched past seasons of the show and are making episodes revolving around stuff that has already been dealt with and no one is stopping them.
>>
>>28973503
they might be fishing for something, going back to what was tried and true in order to keep up a quota for the tv station of both views and episodes.
>>
>>28973389
I can appreciate sad ponies, too, for that reason. On Your Marks balanced the feels perfectly, having adorable and sweet happy ponies, and also having sad and doubtful feelings, while making nobody into the asshole. Everyone was understandable. That balance of feels isn't present in mean-spirited episodes by writers that don't respect the characters and are more concerned with making an interesting plot. Of course, it's unrealistic to expect things my way all the time, and that's not the kind of show this is, but I'm just saying I'd enjoy it more if it was.
>>
>>28973535
*hands over internet cookie*
>>
>>28973523
You're probably right, there isn't anything wrong with doing that but I feel as if they've over done it. And what makes it super shitty is that they're constantly writing our horses really out of character. Those episodes in the beginning worked because we were still getting to know our characters and they were still learning. There's no reason for AJ, at this point, to not realize that her ways of running the farm were unnecessarily complicated after all she has been through character wise. There's no reason for Rainbow Dash to have to learn to not go overboard with pranks when that was something already learned.
>>
>>28973558
absolutely. character development has become kinda static lately, its like they're suffering from aesop amnesia.
On an unrelated note, as a content creator, this thread is like black tar heroin, or at least what i'd imagine it feels like for me.
>>
>>28973575
>this thread is like black tar heroin, or at least what i'd imagine it feels like for me.
How so?
>>
>>28973310
I get the feeling that you're fishing for certain answers, so this might not be unexpected.

But no, I am absolutely not satisfied with the state of the worldbuilding/lore in the show right now.

The analogy I like to use is that if the characters are the muscle that makes a show move, lore, the world, and the continuity thereof are the skeleton that gives it shape. It tells us what the limits of the characters, the setting, and the mechanics they interact with are. It lets us be surprised when a character might surpass those limits. Right now that skeleton is rotted and limp - new bits being jammed in to satisfy individual-episode gags or requirements, even to fix previous episodes' problems.

Alicorns are numerous yet insignificant except as plywood targets for the newest villain of the week. Equestria was always anachronistic, in places, but the randomness of locations and technology has reached absurd proportions - they even forgot Pegasi bring the weather. Other races seem to just be around to be "improved" by the ponies, no matter how ridiculous their original situation was. The skeleton is cracked and rotted, crumbling under the weight of random additions with no thought to how they interact - and it has absolutely resulted in a quality drop.

The episodic format is absolutely an issue - a hindrance which forces explanations down into the thinnest possible thirty-second explanations of what is going on. But just going to serial format alone would not be a fix in and of itself; the writers must think about the implications of their writing choices as well.

For that matter, everything said about positive and negative mixes, light and dark, is also very true: Not everything needs to be absolutely fixed at the end of an episode.
>>
>>28973593
i just, like, really enjoy talking about world building at stuff like that. reading other people's thoughts and stuff just makes me really happy, and it gives me ideas for my own works of fiction.
thats the best i can describe it, anyway. TL;DR is that this stuff makes me so damn happy and elated. jesus i sound like a fucking freak
>>
>>28973310
Twilight's castle will be destroyed in S7 or the movie.
>>
>>28973618
nahh you're fine everyone has their quirks
good luck in continuing whatever is you make
>>
>>28973644
thanks! hopefully i get a career where this is incredibly useful.
>>
File: 1397769668927.png (2MB, 1400x811px) Image search: [Google]
1397769668927.png
2MB, 1400x811px
>>28973310
>overarching story
What overarching story?

>worldbuilding
Damn near non-existent and really fucking lazy when they bother to do it.

>think the show being episodic rather than serial is a roadblock?
Roadblock to what? Being episodic stop it from taking itself seriously and having story arcs, but it also keeps it fresh and new every week.

>How many more seasons can the show go on while maintaining that format?
I think they've proven they can keep doing the same show for as long as they want. We're on season fucking 6 now, with no story whatsoever.
>>
>>28973664
thats cause the focus is young children, and they love absolute shit.
why else would shit like spongebob survive for so long?
>>
>>28973658
if you don't mind, what is it you do?
>>
>>28973817
currently? working on getting a degree in game design to hopefully work for a video game company. im about to end my first semester at college.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.