[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would you be interested in a pony-inspired platforming/metroidvania

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 7

File: 1464973799379.gif (550KB, 782x1062px) Image search: [Google]
1464973799379.gif
550KB, 782x1062px
Would you be interested in a pony-inspired platforming/metroidvania game on Steam? Inspired in so much as the art and themes from FiM but without using characters or names from it. Races would be tied to a specific element - earth/earth, unicorns/fire, seahorse/water, pegasi/air, and exploration would revolve around using each race's abilities to proceed.

Would you be more interested if character and level design was vote-based here on /mlp/ and progressive test builds were offered bi-weekly?
>>
>>28817718
Do I have to pay money?
>>
>>28817718
Sounds good to me, when's it coming out?
>>
how original, lol
>>
>>28817718
Sure.
Good luck not getting DMCA'd.
>>
>>28817718
>Metroidvania
Not really.
>>
>>28817749
Design inspired only. The characters wouldn't even have cutie marks let alone mention them by name.

>>28817724
No. We would make it here on /mlp/. I'd prefer all the profits to go to charity if it reaches the point of marketability.
>>
>>28817718
Make sure it will run on my 512mb RAM & 128mb shader 1.0 graphic card windows XP
Basically, make it as low requirements as you can.
>>
Spitfire has the succ
>>
Why is it that bronies never understand that you can't just take someone else's IP and make a game out of it?

Even if it's not for profit.
>>
>>28817718
Is octavia in it?
>>
>>28817779
I do not want to take Hasbro's IP.
The game is not set in Equestria.
There is no mane 6.
There are no cutie marks.
There are no named places like Sugarcube Corner.

I want to make a game about tiny ponies trapped in an elemental maze. They would look stylized like the ones from FiM but that is all.
>>
>>28817802
okay so they will look like the ponies from MLP

How is that not IP infringement?
>>
>>28817779
Freedom Planet is a perfect analogy for my idea - it's a blatant Sonic rip off and yet it's different enough to be it's own IP.
>>
>>28817802
Just in case, be all hush-hush while developing it.
When you have a final product, then you can share it with the world.
Remember, if it doesnt generate ANY money, not fundraising, no donations for any case, then its mostly safe.
But if any money is flowing, they might take an interest.
So dont announce for all the interwebz about your project, just make it, let interested parties download final version, THEN try get profits for charity or whatever.
If its taken down, its fine, we'll still have it.
It it'll pass below the radar, even better.
Just be carefull.
>>
File: 1552.png (65KB, 251x250px) Image search: [Google]
1552.png
65KB, 251x250px
>>28817857
I don't give two fucks if Hasbro came to my door or not, it wouldn't stop me from making the game I wanted to make. Period. It would be derivative enough to be clear from their IP and they would have no control over what I did with it. If we were to make it here, together by voting and offering feedback and playtesting, then it would be OUR game and the internet would have it no matter what.

Fuck it. Let's do this shit, no better time than the present. Vote on the following variables. We will begin work on the game once we get an idea what our party is composed of.

http://www.strawpoll.me/11583767
http://www.strawpoll.me/11583823
http://www.strawpoll.me/11583802
>>
>>28818015
>I don't give two fucks if Hasbro came to my door or not, it wouldn't stop me from making the game I wanted to make.
If it breaks copyright it's never going to get on Steam.
>>
>>28818130
see
>>28817816
>>
>>28818015
>http://www.strawpoll.me/11583767
Player should decide.
>>
>>28817771
I agree with this post. There's no need for high system requirements with a 2D game.
>>
File: copyright.png (19KB, 813x142px) Image search: [Google]
copyright.png
19KB, 813x142px
>>28817809
Literally the first result on google for 'can you copyright an art style'
>>
>>28817718
local drawfag here, willing to help when/how I can
>>
File: 1450920801919.png (158KB, 376x327px) Image search: [Google]
1450920801919.png
158KB, 376x327px
>>28818184
Anon, okay, I get it, rules and shit. Regardless of what Hasbro would WANT me to do, the fact is, if I fucking go to the trouble of making a game by animating shit and composing music, people are going to have a way to play it no matter what.
>>
>>28817857
>Remember, if it doesnt generate ANY money, not fundraising, no donations for any case, then its mostly safe.
Holy fuck, how is it possible to still be this ignorant after >SIX YEARS?

There is one and only one thing that Hasbro's lawyers care about: TRADEMARKS
>they do not give a shit if the project is for profit or not
>they do not give a shit if you run a kickstarter or not
>they do not give a shit if you take donations or not
>they do not give a shit if you're getting ad revenue or not
The ONLY thing they care about is whether you are using Hasbro trademarks, meaning the magic words "My Little Pony" or the names of canon characters. EVERY fan project that has gotten a C&D, got it because they were using Hasbro trademarks.
>>
Don't expect me to fund your Indiegogo campaign.
>>
>>28818204
Did you reply to the wrong post or something?
>>
File: 1476817821139.gif (483KB, 785x757px) Image search: [Google]
1476817821139.gif
483KB, 785x757px
Except that none of this matters because you're not even going to get one month into development before coming apart at the seams

>n-no we're different

No you're not. You're a bunch of fags who've screwed around with some templating software and have no concept of how much work is required to deliver a finished product.

Wanna know how I know? Because if you were even the slightest bit serious, you'd already be making the game without making a thread to soak up attention first. That tells us loud and clear that every phase of development will be contingent on whether you've gotten your dick sucked to your satisfaction, and the first time you make a blunder and the board shreds your fledgling project, you'll disappear forever and that will be that.

Waste someone else's time.
>>
>>28818201
For now, drawfag, these threads will sort out the basics of the game and world. Once we have a game plan then I encourage everyone to participate in one way or another.
>>
>>28818222
I respect your trips, sir, but I don't agree with you. Every project has a ground floor. As for assuming I'm an attention whore or a primadonna, I suppose I could just let this thread be the last one I post and then just go make the game myself with no imput. But then what's the fun in that? I want a pony game I can play and have fun with for myself anyway.
>>
>>28817718
>Would you be interested in a pony-inspired platforming/metroidvania game on Steam?
I guess, sure.

>Inspired in so much as the art and themes from FiM but without using characters or names from it.
You could go the Starswirl Academy route. Keep it inspired by FiM but make the characters and names moddable.

Regardless, countless anons before you have started with similar ideas and failed to deliver. I can understand trying to make this a "/mlp/ thing" by involving us in the development process, but there's no reason to believe this will be any different.
>>
>>28818204
so what you are saying is.... you didnt read the image.
>>
>>28818264
It will only stay /mlp/-related so long as there is interest. I have no problems just making a game for myself and not sharing it. I'm not doing this for fame, I'm doing it because I'm bored and like group projects. Only 9 votes on one poll, 5 on the other 2. Not a lot of interest right now. Maybe later in the design process then.
>>
>>28818015
>which characters should be male?
Letting the player pick for each character would be ideal, but otherwise 1 or maybe 2 stallions would be good, and I don't really care which character is which.

>how many abilities
>how many minibosses
These are both pointless because they're basically asking "do you want more content, or less content?". And of course everybody wants more content, but more content means the game takes longer. You need to decide these for yourself based on what you think you can get done in a reasonable amount of time.

>>28818222
Dude's being a dick but he has a point. The fact that you seem to have nothing aside from a vague idea does not instill much confidence.

>>28818245
>I suppose I could just let this thread be the last one I post and then just go make the game myself with no imput.
That would be great. Build a working prototype with one level and 1 or 2 characters with one ability each, then make a thread asking for input and you will get a much better response. Partly because we'll have some concrete gameplay as a basis for feedback and suggestions, and partly because having something playable (even if all the art and sound is shit) demonstrates that you are at least somewhat competent and know how to get shit done.
>>
>>28818317
This a gorillion times. especially if you are fishing for help.
>>
>>28818317
>These are both pointless because they're basically asking "do you want more content, or less content?"
True. My original thought process behind it was "do you want simple mechanics for each team member" or "do you want each member to be able to perform multiple skills that could potentially overlap each other in usefulness"? And for the minibosses it was purely how time consuming do you want your exploration to be?

>Build a working prototype with one level and 1 or 2 characters with one ability each, then make a thread asking for input and you will get a much better response. Partly because we'll have some concrete gameplay as a basis for feedback and suggestions, and partly because having something playable (even if all the art and sound is shit) demonstrates that you are at least somewhat competent and know how to get shit done.

I think I'll do this then. I'll make periodic strawpolls in dedicated threads here as I go along. I will make one more dedicated thread here tomorrow night to pose questions regarding each character in detail. Once I have the results from those polls I can begin character design and basic animation.

I will appreciate any and all criticism, questions and comments in the threads to come. Lets make an exciting game, /mlp/.
>>
File: it's a sign.png (58KB, 424x350px) Image search: [Google]
it's a sign.png
58KB, 424x350px
>>28817769
>We would make it here on /mlp/
RIP game
CAPTCHA
>>
File: Scratch.jpg (151KB, 693x713px) Image search: [Google]
Scratch.jpg
151KB, 693x713px
>>28817718
Y'know what I'd really like.
A toys to Life game Ala Skylanders with MLP characters
>>
>>28818891
Hasbro could make this and get a ton of money from it if they did it right
>"Portal" is a mini-Curie map
>Figures based on popular characters, as well as new cherecters
>Set up the villain as some ancient big bad, who sent various Heroes of Equestria to another dimension in the past only to be defeated by Celestia and Luna (Facilitating New Characters that they could introduce without having to bring up the Question of "Where've these guys/gals been until now?").
>But whatever magic they used to seal him/her Fails and they do it again, kicking off the plot
>>
Post coding skills plox.
>>
>>28817718
>Would you be interested in a pony-inspired
Yes.

>vote-based here on /mlp/
Design by committee is bad.
>>
>>28817718
>metroidvania
Delet this
>>
>>28818891
>>28819282
I can already picture all the damn brony bux from that.
>>
>>28817718
Would I! But the question is it a multi player, lan, or just solo
>>
What would future threads be named as? Would make it easier to find in the future.
>>
>>28822319
There will be no future threads, as you can see they've given up in less than 40 posts.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.