[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think about the male characters in this franchise,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

What do you think about the male characters in this franchise, /mlp/? I always kind of assumed that a lot of people here wished that there were fewer than there currently are. I don't know if it's just because of waifu competition or people find female characters just inherently more appealing but I was curious.

Personally I think the idea of having decently written male characters in a "girls' show" is pretty different and unique so I welcome it.
>>
>>28739830
Who hurt Big Macintosh.

He was so talkative as a youth in 'where the apple lies'.
>>
>>28739830
Best male coming through
>>
>>28739830
I want more of them. More stallions. All the time. Replace the Mane 6 with stallions.
>>
>>28739846
>Who hurt Big Macintosh.
His sister, every time she screeched in his face that he needed to shut up.
>>
>>28739848
Where was this fucker in the finale? Where was he the entire season?!
>>
>>28739886
He was going about his business in the Crystal Empire unaware anything had happened.
>>
>>28739886
>>28739911
He was hiding under his bed and sent Thorax to help out.
>>
>>28739830
Look for a ´herding general´

The concept of a society/species with a majority female population is popular for good reason. It plays directly into a man's instinct of 'getting a lot of women', and as such it is popular.

That said, I would approve of more well-written male characters
>>
>>28740806
>>28739911
>>28739886
>>28739848
/hhh/ isn't this thread, but I do really like Sunburst's character and think he's adorkable.
>>
>>28740391
I guess I just look for different things in the series that I like. It is much more admirable to write a series about friendship and acceptance when you truly are friends with and accept everyone.
>>
>>28739830
Only gays care about men.
>>
>>28739830
I don't care about how quality or interesting as characters they are. I don't want males in the show and getting attention if there's any hint at all of shipping. I'd be more reasonable and accepting of it if it wasn't for the fact that in these past 2 or 3 seasons, male characters are being introduced left and right only to get close to the episode's main girl and provide fuel to shipping bullshit. It's annoying as fuck and I hate it. It's almost enough to ruin the show, having this romantic teasing around every corner. I don't hate shippers, but the staff should let that shit come naturally from their imagination rather than forcing celebrities on the girls with such obvious intentions.

I like Big Mac just for his interaction with his family, and since Shining armor is mostly about family and has no risk of being used for shipping, I guess he's okay, too.
>>
>>28741637
This is the exact view that makes me weary to even say that I like the male characters in the show. I don't even mind Quibble or Cheese, but I also don't like this mindset that every male is a threat to the female ones.
>>
>>28741637
>>28741678
That's not the shows problem though. All of that bullshit exists outside it. If I'm reading you guys right, you're saying the show could introduce an awesome new male character but you'd hate him just because one of the girls smiled at him and shippers would make fanart of it? You're essentially letting the fandom dictate your enjoyment of characters and the show rather than basing your opinions on the show's own merits. That's a serious sign of autism.
>>
>>28741979
>That's a serious sign of autism.
Maybe. Maybe it's true that none of the staff saw anything suggestive or questionable in any of this stuff. Maybe the blushing, close touching and eye contact, and face holding really was meant to be nothing more than friendly, and it was just autist bronies doing 100% of the ship work. When I see and think about it, it seems like the writers and animators are doing that shit on purpose, though, and that's why I get mad that they're taking this all so not-seriously that they'd carelessly and forcibly imply romance just to make an episode more memorable or interesting to fans.
>>
>>28742253
How dare they try to make something memorable for fans.

>>28741979
This. It's really autistic that your perspective on the show can be changed this much by other fans.
>>
>>28743110
>How dare they try to make something memorable for fans.
Did you really read what I said? That's not the problem.
>>
I would like shipping to be in the show, I just want it to be handled well. I think shipping is something that should be explored, but only if it isn't being forced.
>>
>>28739830
>a lot of people here wished that there were fewer than there currently are

Only beta waifufags who fear getting cucked to death wish that.
>>
>>28744167
Why is shipping a problem if it's something developed and done slowly? It's only a big deal if you're a massive waifufag and prefer waifus over a good story.

Most of /mlp/ would take generic flanderized fandom depictions of waifus over character development
>>
>>28744215
Because >muh pure and virgin waifu
>>
File: 1128387.png (434KB, 650x718px) Image search: [Google]
1128387.png
434KB, 650x718px
>>28744215
>>28744224
>well you're just a waifufag
Don't resort to this memeshit, you faggots.

The argument's over whether or not stuff like this was done on purpose or if it was genuinely only meant to be friendly. Whether the Glimmer and Fluttershy blushes were meant to imply romance or not. If you can't rationalize how this can possibly be interpreted as not ship-forcing and will change the focus to "you're dumb because you don't like shipping", then that means I'm right. I don't want to be right, here.
>>
>>28744277
I don't think the Fluttershy and Discord romance is forced. And the Starlight Glimmer and Sunburst ship seems very reasonable given how romance has already been handled in the show.
>>
File: 47747797989.jpg (87KB, 724x1024px) Image search: [Google]
47747797989.jpg
87KB, 724x1024px
>>28739830
I like Discord and FlutterCord because

A) Discord wasn't established as a love interest, he evolved from FLuttershy's enemy in S2 to her closest soul mate in S6

B) Discord character changed from deranged psychopath to more caring yet self absorbed wise cracker who start the bantz with Twilight, Trixie or Spike when they need it.
>>
File: 1477204595287.jpg (98KB, 500x336px) Image search: [Google]
1477204595287.jpg
98KB, 500x336px
>Thinking there will be any more romance on the show, forced or not.
Any an all further romantic storylines will more than likely be relegated to the EQG movies, the occasional BG pone, the occasional comic and nowhere else. I ship Sparity and even I know there's no hope. Ship them on your own time, but don't hold your breath for anything official.
>>
>>28745098
I don't mind Sparity, but there isn't an easy way to make it canon.
>>
>>28744277
I don't care whether or not it was done on purpose. I don't care about this waifu stuff, I care about a good story. Whether it was friendly or romantic is personally irrelevant to me, all I care about is if the story is solid and interesting.

>>28744353
He will start the bantz but can't take it.
>>
>>28745107
Show epilogue where they're older.
>>
>>28745165
The blushes and intimate touching add nothing to the story. That's the point. They didn't even have anything to do with the script, probably. The animators adding in weird shit like that accomplishes nothing at all except for pushing shipping while not committing to it, letting people say "well, you don't HAVE to view it as shipping!". If there wasn't purposeful teasing like that, I wouldn't mind male characters and could see shippers having their fun without letting it affect my view on the episodes. Shipping is fine when formed by imagination, and I think pushing it so hard in the actual show ruins the fun of it.
>>
>>28745230
I don't think a blush gives THAT much. If anything fence sitting like you say satisfies everyone because you can say it is supported or denied.

Also the picture that was posted was out of context. Both of them are situations where the character is thanking them for getting through a personal problem, trying to make them realize they didn't fail.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.