[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is EqG so bad? How do professionals in the industry for many

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 103
Thread images: 17

File: 1473030778687.png (383KB, 600x493px) Image search: [Google]
1473030778687.png
383KB, 600x493px
Why is EqG so bad? How do professionals in the industry for many years make something so unappealing? If there's only been one EqG film to actually be received well, why did they end up making five of the damn things?
>>
>>28554920
Because its good and you dont have good taste
>>
File: 1223554.png (115KB, 300x273px) Image search: [Google]
1223554.png
115KB, 300x273px
>>28554941
>Because its good
>>
>>28554920
Because they're cheap to produce and sell massive amounts of toys.
>>
>>28554941
>taste
Alien head shit-toy trash commercial. Anyone with sense can see there's nothing that places this cartoon above other cartoons, especially considering the time and money that went into each installment.
McDonalds is popular worldwide and it has nothing to do with taste. That is the real answer to why there are 5 of them.
>>
>>28554920
>Why is MLP so bad? How do professionals in the industry for many years make something so unappealing? If there's only been one MLP generation to actually be received well, why did they end up making four of the damn things?
>>
>>28554920

Cus you have shit taste. They're like the show in quality. You've got the shit ones, the good ones, and the average ones.

Plus Sunset Shimmer, so yeah.
>>
>>28554920
They are designed to sell toys that's it. You don't watch Bratz or Barbie movies now do you? They are comparable in quality.
>>
File: startled twitard.png (261KB, 1600x979px) Image search: [Google]
startled twitard.png
261KB, 1600x979px
>>28554920
It's hard to believe until you watch a few ads for other shows on kids networks these days. The standards for content made for mlp's demographic are at an all time low.
>>
>>28555109
MLP was supposed to save that. The dream died super quickly and super hard.
>>
>>28555061
Sunset Shimmer is a bad character.
>>
>>28555288
Indeed
Twilicorn and EQG destroyed FiM forever
Blease meghan end this ride
>>
>>28556090
You mean bad as in good, right?
>>
>>28556200
Sunset is the only thing worthwhile in the series.
>>
>>28554920
Because you're spoiled by FiM which is one of the rare current cases when a children's cartoon is actually good. EqG is just your standard shitty highschool girls toy commercial, like Monster High or Bratz.
>>
I like the art people have produced about it
>>
File: quibble.jpg (67KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
quibble.jpg
67KB, 1280x720px
>>28554920
>there's only been one EqG film to actually be received well

Tell that to Legend of Everfree's 8.1 IMDB rating beating Rainbow Rocks 7.1. You know just because a load of butt hurt faggots circle jerk with you in this little corner of hatedom doesn't mean the rest of the world agrees.
>>
>>28556412
Waifufags artificially bumping up the score doesn't count. Only look for non fandom reviews.
>>
>>28557452
Who's reviewing the movies besides MLP viewers?
>>
>>28554920
I hate to break it to you but eqg is the mario party 8 of mlp. it may be shit but its shit that sells. way way more than pony merch abroad.
>>
>>28556252
shes also the thing that made the first movie shit (among others)
>>
>>28557466
Doesn't sell in the US.

>>28557464
They exist, but they aren't common. Generally pretty negative but do review it for the sake of reviewing.
>>
File: anon.png (400KB, 801x517px) Image search: [Google]
anon.png
400KB, 801x517px
>>28554920
Cartoons and animated movies exist for one reason, sell toys, as long as the EQG toys sell they will keep making these movies to promote them

The reason why they suck is because the concept itself is retarded (copy pasted from Monster High which did a better job with it) and nobody wants to bother with expanding it, FiM is forgiven because at least Faust developed an interesting world that was enjoyable regardless of the toyetic shit being pushed down your throat
>>
>>28557516
>Faust developed an interesting world that was enjoyable

But she didn't get her way. Almost everything we know about MLP as it is wasn't developed by her. All she had control of was season 1 and there wasn't all that much world-building done in that season.
>>
>>28557545
FiM was created for its own sake, EqG just rips off something already existing.
>>
>>28557545
>and there wasn't all that much world-building done in that season.
>Ponyville
>canterlot
>Everfree
>Cloudsdale
Those are just the biggest i can think about, also some of her ideas were later used as base for the other writers
>>
>>28557584
Ain't that the definition of a spinoff?
>>
>>28557592
But it's not a spin-off made from the interest of the original content, it is to respond to something externally.
>>
>>28557603
That I agree with and for the first two Equestria Girls installments I was wishing it wasn't a thing but they actually sold me by the third movie.
>>
>>28557592
FiM stood on its own while EQG is just a copy of something else, i am not even saying the concept (humanized ponies) can't work, its just that there wasn't any love put into this project
>>
>>28555048
THE ENTIRE FUCKING EXISTENCE OF MLP'S ANIMATED SHOW IS TO FUNCTION AS A TOY COMMERCIAL TO PROVIDE CHILDREN WITH A PRETEXT FOR WANTING SAID TOYS

THE SHOW CREATES DEMAND

YOU ARE A HYPOCRITE IF YOU CRITICIZE EQG FOR IT BUT WATCH MLP
>>
>>28557615
Even the fourth and possible fifth movies are just doing shit Monster High does.
>>
>>28557636
More love was put into FiM.
>>
>>28557657
Is that so
>>
>>28557638
How am I supposed to answer that, I never watched that shit.
>>
>>28554941
kek
>>
>>28557657
Have you seen Legend of Everfree? Daniel Ingram may want a word with you...
>>
>>28557636
completely different cases. EQG was only made because they saw an opportunity for easy cash on the monster high niche because of what a massive phenomenom FIM turned out to be due to how good it was.
EQG is a cheap, effortless cashgrab
>>
>>28557636
When Hasbro asked Lauren to make the show they didn't asked that much besides very bare bones ideas, it was her that added enough material on her own to make the show more than just a cheap toy commercial, and it was because of her that /co/ sticked around to watch the show which eventually exalated into the fandom we have today

Compare this to EQG where Hasbro had more control and asked for something a little more specific (Twilight goes to High School, needs to become prom queen, needs to have a love interest, Spike needs to be a dog, etc) and there was nobody to take that idea to the next level by giving the world and the characters more depth, the result was what we got

Try to think about the world where EQG takes place, what is the name of the town where they live? What do the characters do on their free time? Where do the mane 6 live? What did they used to do when they were kids? Everything that isn't just copy pasted from FiM ends up not being developed so we can get more fucking toy commercials and magic gimmicks like the mane 6 having super powers and "pony up" that will likely be dropped until the next movie
>>
>>28557675
THEN HOW DO YOU KNOW ITS BAD!?
God damn I didn't thing there were literal retards on this board.
>>
>>28557689
You mean where the two best songs sounded a lot like FiM songs that already exist?
>>
>>28557723
Equestria Girls is bad because it's taking a show about ponies and doing a high school AU in the corniest way possible, complete with out-of-place romance. All it was trying to do was capture an audience that grew into their pre-teens while MLP was still airing.

I don't need to watch some unrelated cartoon to tell you that.
>>
>>28557712
>>28557721
In both cases, what existed first, the toys, or the cartoon?

Take your time.
>>
Shimmerfags will defend EQG as if their lives depended on it, it's like they're getting paid for it, the delusional retards
>>
>>28557493
>doesn't sell in the us.
why do you think hasbro should care? if it makes money, keep making it. the US doesn't fucking matter, china and india are the big movie scenes right now, and while its nice to make money in america most movie companies have a global strategy when they release a film.
>>
>>28557689
>Mane 6 go back home by the next movie
>plot will likely be about that post credits scene with the statue
>events and characters introduced on the last movie will never be seen or mentioned again
Meanwhile we don't even know if the movies take place in the actual real world or in a fictional version of it
>>
>>28557724
OK so Midnight in Me sounded like Luna's Future in places but considering the subject I don't have a problem with it and may have been intentional as a nod. Whats the other one?
>>
>>28557757
>plot will likely be about that post credits scene with the statue

Hah, as if. That's what this movie deserved to be as a result of Friendship Games but it didn't do it.

If the next movie doesn't actually pick up that thread then this series is going downhill.
>>
>>28557747
>implying that stopped Faust
If i threw a rock on your head would that stop you from naming the rock Phillip?
>>
>>28557744

>It's the classic "I don't need to do something, to hold an opinion about it."

I bet you're a based normie.
>>
>>28557721
I wish there was an alternate future where Faust had total control so you could see for your self the total train wreck that would of been.
>>
>>28557769
Guess why FiM exists in the first place.
>>
>>28557760
One of them sounded like Apples to the Core.
>>
>>28557771
How fucked up are you?

I actually played both but I wouldn't disregard someone's opinion of Bayonetta if they told me they didn't like it but never played Devil May Cry. I'd encourage them to try DMC but only as an alternative to Bayonetta.

Also I think my position on the quality of Equestria Girls is being obscured by what I think of it as a franchise. I dislike Equestria Girls conceptually but purely as something to watch and be entertained by, I haven't had a problem with it since movie 3.
>>
>>28557781
and guess why the fandom exists in the first place
>>
>>28557747
>durrr you need to eat up their shit regardless of quality.
No, actually. If a show is good or even just enjoyable despite being a toy commercial then you should watch it. just because two shows are both toy commercials doesn't mean one isn't shit. I have nothing against EQG fags, I recognize that EQG sells like hotcakes, and I love sunlight shit that poured out of it. but the actual movie is shit. there are lots of bad mlp episodes. None have managed to be worse than eqg 1. it deserves the criticism it gets.
>>
>>28557791
The entire fucking point was that EQG being criticized as being a glorified toy commercial is a hypocritical criticism to level at the show if one watched FiM.

Keep the fuck up, nigger.
>>
>>28557757
Nope, the next movie will probably be a full on super hero movie in the style of static shock where the Mane 6 will have to run around dealing with people driven insane by their new magic.

References will be made to Twilight long distance dating but that is all.
>>
>>28557801
EQG is a blatant effortless cashgrab on a whole other level compared to FiM, so it's not hypocritical criticism. EQG is a downright soulless monster high rip off
>>
>>28557827
Yeah it is. It's still gotten better in spite of that.
>>
>>28557835
maybe if you're a shimmerfag
>>
File: 1457983610962.png (57KB, 708x335px) Image search: [Google]
1457983610962.png
57KB, 708x335px
>>28557846
>>
>>28557864
i knew it
>>
>>28557846
Equestria Girls has a lot of the continuity and structure that I've wanted to see in FiM.

It's mostly forced by design, due to Equestria Girls only getting new installments annually but it's appreciated.

If FiM could tighten down its lore and internal rules, then it'd be one of the best cartoons ever but they won't do it. They just think inventing a new rule or piece of history is okay for the sake of writing an episode when it doesn't fit with what they've written in the past. Equestria Girls doesn't do nearly as much of that shit since it has to stay more contiguous.
>>
>>28557835
then what is FiM even copying? Because it sure as hell is not like its previous gens
>>
>>28557827
Every episode following the mid-season hiatus of S1 (when Faust lost a lot of her creative control and the scripts were still fresh) is a cashgrab trying to cash in on the brony craze. Don't kid yourself, m8.
>>
>>28557785
Ah ha, I knew you were going to say that, congratulations for not knowing a single fucking thing about the difference between two separate genre of country music.
>>
>>28557883
>Equestria Girls has a lot of the continuity and structure
Good point

This is just the old "slice of life vs muh lore" argument, some people like this format because it allows more focus on the characters and situations, while others wish FiM was more lore oriented with more continuity where events influence each other

Personally both would be alright, SOL works well since it allows anyone to jump into any episode and still enjoy it (unlike shows like SU where you need to watch from the beginning), lore shit works well if you follow a thread, introduce the idea at the beginning of the season tehm use the three or four last episodes to start and finish the big arc, Teen Titans did something like this and it worked perfectly
>>
>>28557900
>muh panda rings
You could make an episode about ponies pooping and this fandom would still praise it like the second coming of Jesus, focusing on the fandom would be a big waste of time and money

also bronies aren't the target audience and don't pay Hasbro's bills
>>
>>28554920
Sunset Shimmer is the main reason why that garbage is so popular in the fandom. I've noticed that the hardcore defenders of EqGs are always Shimmerfags. It's amazing what a single poorly written character can do to inspire more shitty content why stealing resources from a better show (FiM). EqGfags will never admit that they're the reason why the main show died since S3 is because they had to make more room for the shitty movies.
>>
>>28557929
I don't mind having episodes without a sweeping crisis hanging over them but I really hate when dialogue or situations only makes sense for that exact moment and as soon as you remember something that was said or done in a previous episode, it nullifies the logic of it.
>>
>>28557961
Half of her appeal is that she's the only human who's not a cardboard cutout, so the people who could never get into horsefucking finally found their waifu
>>
>>28557992
This. The rest of the characters without exception are shit.
>>
File: EvenPoniesLaughAtYou.png (210KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
EvenPoniesLaughAtYou.png
210KB, 640x360px
>>28557961
Thats right pal, the CIA shat in your soup as well, there all involved in a big conspiracy to ruin everything you like...
>>
>>28557992
>she's the only human who's not a cardboard cutout
She is literally proto Glimmer, she adds nothing to the main cast because she has no personality and chemistry with them, you can have a pair of any of the mane 6 as protags and the episode writes itself, you add Glimmer and you have awkward silences and war flashbacks

The reason why she has fans is because of fan works, fan art to make her look cute and fanfics to make her look interesting and well written, same shit with the dazzlings and the reason why these waifufags rely so much on generals, because there is literally nothing canon to work with
>>
>>28558031
>you add Glimmer
*Shimmer
>>
>>28558031

>She is literally proto Glimmer, she adds nothing to the main cast because she has no personality and chemistry with them
Give me a fucking break, Sunset is nothing at all like Glimmer aside from the fact that their names rhyme and they're reformed antagonists

Put into clear words what it means for a character to have a personality and chemistry and I will provide you with examples and explanations as to why Sunset Shimmer has both.
>>
>>28558254
Notice how each mane 6 has her own thing that makes them stand out from each other, they have flaws, they have qualities, their personalities allow them to both create and solve issues in a way that only they can, some issues can only be solved by the right mane 6 because the others just wouldn't know how to do it

What is Shimmer good at? What is she bad at? What does she like? What does she hate? What does she do on her free time? If you answer was magic them too bad, because Twilight already covers this ground, the only thing she has that makes her unique is the fact that she is a reformed villain but there is only so much you can do with this concept, she also can't be the straight man/voice of reason because that's what Twilight does when she isn't being obsessive
>>
>>28558278
People just like that Shimmer is pathetic and completely repentant.
>>
>>28554920

Because they set it a suburban high school setting. They could've had any other setting and it would've been an improvement.
>>
>>28558278
The mane 6 are typical cartoon characters. They all have their personality quirks, which can be exaggerated or downplayed, depending of the writer and the episode. Shimmer is not that simple, she doesn't have quirks for easy writing, so the writers have focus on her development instead, which takes more effort.
>>
>>28558278
>What is Shimmer good at?
Studying/teaching magic, reading people's feelings and being able to comfort them, playing guitar, motorcross, and making dank Youtube videos

>What is she bad at?
Theft, not exploding in rage when she gets agitated, overly complicated geometry questions

>What does she like/hate?
These seem redundant

>What does she do on her free time?
Study magic and hang out with her friends
One would assume she also does the aforementioned things that she's good at.

>If you answer was magic them too bad
No, fuck you and I'm going to tell you why you can't pull that:
First the magic that Sunset Shimmer interacts with is entirely separate and different from unicorn magic; it has different properties, is distributed in different ways, and is brought forth differently (by passion and self-expression rather than through whatever biological process is involved with horns)
Twilight practices spells that were already made years beforehand, making her like a typical person learning how to shoot while Sunset is like a caveman with a loaded pistol.

Beyond that, however, there are other recently introduced characters who many agree are great and that you could say are good at studying magic (Moondancer & Sunburst), but they are different from Twilight in the same way that Sunset is: by having a different spin on it than her.

Not to mention that Princess Twilight isn't even in EqG anymore and that SciTwi is totally different other than being a nerd.
>>
>>28554920
Because people other than you are enjoying it.
>>
>>28558331
"Pathetic" doesn't apply at all from Friendship Games onward. She had more confidence than the rest of the main six combined in the latest movie.
>>
>>28558678
She more than a leader. She's pretty much the M6 babysitter.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2016-09-27-14h10m03s94.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-09-27-14h10m03s94.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>28558690
Or their mom
>>
File: when mlp doesnt like something.png (1MB, 1587x1600px) Image search: [Google]
when mlp doesnt like something.png
1MB, 1587x1600px
Personally I enjoy the EqG series though I can see why people would dislike, even hate, them.
>>
>>28558510
This explains why Starlight flopped on the show, having failed to win the audience over. They tried to make her the new Sunset, and everyone was certainly expecting that, but they took out the thing that made Sunset successful, which is a more mature approach to characterization, focused on development. Instead, they took the easy route and made Starlight a "quirky" character, like the Mane 6. The audience accepts simple characterization from the M6 because they are the originals, from the beginning. But a newcomer like Starlight should justify her inclusion to be accepted on the group. This was not done, so she'll never have Sunset's level of popularity.
>>
>>28554920
Someone can't count....

(and my own ratings for those movies)

Equestria Girls (3 out of 10)

Rainbow Rocks (8 out of 10)

Friendship Games (5 out of 10)

Legend of Everfree.(5.5 out of 10)

That's four by my count.
>>
>>28558858
I think what mainly separates them is that Sunset got totally shit on for what she did and had to earn everyone's trust and respect back whereas Starlight got forgiven like immediately and the only person who seemed to be giving her a hard time about was herself.
That kind of seemed like something that the writers wanted to fix with ELTSD, though, because they m5 were still pissed off when she tried to apologize and they bonded in cleaning up the castle, but that was still WAY too fast and Twilight treated Glimmer mind controlling her friends like some run-of-the-mill thing instead of being rightfully concerned for her student's mental stability.
>>
>>28557906
Alright, out of all the bullshit you got me interested. Could you please explain what's so different between Apples to the Core and the LoE song?
Both start with a stringed instrument (banjo/mandolin, I assume), have simple percussion and follow the same verse-chorus-verse-chorus-verse-verse-chorus template. LoE has a bit faster tempo while AttC has more instruments playing and sounds richer thanks to the violin or whatever bowed instrument that is. Both sound pretty much just like generic country/campfire songs to me. And if it wasn't for fucking Granny Smith I'd easily put AttC as the better song out of those two.
I would very much like to hear what subgenres of country you're talking about that will magically make these two soundalike songs not sound alike anymore.
>>
>>28557757
>we don't even know if the movies take place in the actual real world or in a fictional version of it
Yes, because our world has portals to Equestria and sirens who feed off singing and fart gas. Gtfo autist.
>>
File: Isi.png (72KB, 632x684px) Image search: [Google]
Isi.png
72KB, 632x684px
>>28557757
They don't take place on Earth if that's what you're asking.
And according to the designer of the characters they're not even human!
I think it's pretty safe to assume the EqG world is just an alternative Equestria.
>>
>>28559487
They are human, though
SciTwi said it in FG
>>
>>28559500
She made one off comment about it.
I don't really buy it desu
They've been pretty secretive about it since the first movie.
>>
>>28557864
Don't post /pol/ memes
>>
File: 1473736180387.jpg (116KB, 840x806px) Image search: [Google]
1473736180387.jpg
116KB, 840x806px
>>28559573
Praise kek
>>
>>28557864
I love smuggies.
>>
>>28561357
PRAISE
KKK
KEK
KKK
>>
>>28558278
>>28558603
On the subject of them covering the same "magic" ground, one of the RR shorts details the difference between Sunset and Twilight's approach to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOdThTzb_tY
>>
>>28554920
You're obviously not the target audience then anon. It's good, neither am I
>>
File: IMG_5561.jpg (139KB, 888x1120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5561.jpg
139KB, 888x1120px
>>28564471
P R A I S E K E K
R
A
S
E
K
E
K
>>
1 was about pony twilight, and introducing us to the world of EQG.

2 was about sunset shimmer.

3 was about sunset meeting scitwi.

4 was about scitwi.

Next movie we meet human sunset. Also they go to the beach.
Thread posts: 103
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.