[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If the latest episode is great, will the Spike hate die? Can

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 8

File: thumb.png (43KB, 160x250px) Image search: [Google]
thumb.png
43KB, 160x250px
If the latest episode is great, will the Spike hate die?

Can he finally be loved by most like Rarity is?
>>
and there below are stupid posts that point out that rarity is not universally loved:
>>
>>28190170
Nope. The reason why I dislike Spikefags is their pathetic desire to be liked at all costs.
Why can't you fags take the flak? Spike was designed to be the buttmokey male in a feminist show, yet you all want him to be great and awesome, which is not why he exists at all.
In dragonshy, we saw how a dragon could easily dispose of ponies without even trying, what else do you guys want?
>>
File: 1404190093732.jpg (71KB, 631x564px) Image search: [Google]
1404190093732.jpg
71KB, 631x564px
>>28190170
Spike is hated?
To me, it seems that it's more just his episodes that are hated, not him directly. Spike is a bro.
>>
>>28190170
Nah.
I love the little guy though.
>>
>>28190223
A male that is subservant inconditionally to the female cast*
ftfy
>>
>>28190188
Not really, Spike was designed to be an audience surrogate. His job was to basically stand there and ask the questions the audience was asking; like, 'what is the Grand Galloping Gala,' and 'What is a Cutie Mark?'

I think the biggest mistake the writers make is forgetting this.
>>
Spikefags, everyone
>>
>>28190262
>N-no
>H-he is the one sane guy
Ok anon, have fun.
>>
>>28190312
Not him, but you've misinterpreted his post. He isn't saying he's the straight man who's snarky about everything. He's saying that he's the one who doesn't know much about pony culture because he's a dragon, so he can ask questions that the audience might need an answer to. It gives an excuse to have exposition without seeming out of place. Think of him as the Dr. Watson to the ponies' Sherlock Holmes.
>>
>>28190262
This.

He was supposed to serve as both a lampshading and expository device, but the new staff decided to do their own thing instead, and it shows.
>>
>>28190332
Fine, but then, he has no longer a purpose in the show.
Of course every episode is made as a stand alone, but they don't explain the same shit over and over. That would get incredibly tedious for the audience that actually watches the show continuously.
So, please tell me why Spike can't be the butt monkey? I don't know why you guys want him to be something else, so explain to me, why.
>>
File: 1467179331024.png (588KB, 1040x362px)
1467179331024.png
588KB, 1040x362px
>>28190170
Nope, spike hate will be stronger than ever. I Hope he cry hard in the end after being raped by an horde of changeling.
>>
>>28190340
A character's role in a show can evolve over time. It's called character development.

>>28190342
Nobody wants a character whose sole purpose is to be made the butt of a joke. Can't believe I have to explain that...
It's the main reason why Princess Spike is damn near universally considered the worst episode in the series, not just by Spikefags.
>>
File: HappyMan.jpg (112KB, 798x631px)
HappyMan.jpg
112KB, 798x631px
>>28190170
>like Rarity is
>>
>>28190170
Other than Rarity I don't think there's a character that has been discussed more on /mlp/. He has a lot of people who enjoy his character. Spikefags need to calm down and this is coming from one.
>>
>>28192067
It annoys me when people in the fandom think that the best way to deal with Spike is to write him out of the show.

It is like the fandom never thought the show was that amazing or the fandom is excusing the writers for being terrible.
>>
>>28192112
Nah, you're coming at it from the wrong angle. These are people who don't really care about the story, just certain characters. Anything that doesn't have their favorite characters acting in the way that they like is just a waste of time to them.

A lot of Spike episode hate (and CMC episode hate too) came from the idea that the episode could have been about their waifu being amazing or something. They don't want a good story, they want their headcanons validated and their favorite characters put on pedestals.
>>
>>28190262
>Spike was designed to be an audience surrogate
>On a little girls' cartoon
>He was supposed to be a self-insert for little girls
>>
>>28192130
I have heard and seen that many fans don't like Spike solely because he is a male non-pony.
>>
>>28192134
Probably yeah
>>
>>28192171
I get that, but I present the CMC as a counterpoint. Many people still hate their episodes. So it's more than just him not being a pony or male. It's probably his age, though you'd think since he's older than the CMC it would be less.
>>
File: Grump.png (230KB, 666x666px) Image search: [Google]
Grump.png
230KB, 666x666px
>>28192130
>Anything that doesn't have their favorite characters acting in the way that they like is just a waste of time to them
FYI this is why Spikefags are generally so obnoxious with throwing their weight around. They cherrypick the few traits Spike has showcased and latched onto those as the *only* defining traits of the character while dismissing everything else that was shown about the character.
I feel like I'm the only fucking one on this whole board that actually likes most Spike episodes and appreciates all facets of the character. But "Spikefags" just want to pine over how awesomely snarky and sarcastic he was a few times. Can't talk about his childish nature, can't talk about mistakes he made because he's still young and naive. Because those aren't the behavior that Spikefags like, so it's a waste of time to them.

>>28192179
Twilight was the audience surrogate back then. She was the one learning the lessons provided in the show and finding out about all the things in Ponyville. As so many like to insist, Spike was the "straight man" who kept her grounded with witty sarcasm and infinite dragon wisdom.
>>
>>28192207
I want Spike to stop getting so much hate as if he is destroying the show or that his focus episodes are the worst (ignoring RD and FS also have pretty bad track records) despite the fact that he has had several C-B level episodes. I get defensive because there is kind of a double standard that only seems to NOW be going away (it seems to be now a joke to mock RD and her fanbase).

It is like the fandom mocked Spike and stated that he is shitty and deserves to be crapped on, then when it really does seem like Hasbro/DHX are responding to feedback on fixing him the fandom praises them for it as well.
>>
>>28192207
Spike having those childish traits and innocence is part of the reason I like Spike so much. It makes the moments where he acts above it much more interesting.

>>28192280
It's mostly this. People flipped out in S1 because OWTHEW was just "okay" and it was a meme for years just to inherently hate Spike. It was in fact a double standard given that poor episodes of other characters would be forgotten about but Spike episodes were ruining the show or something.
>>
>>28190170
About 99% of Rarity episodes are fantastic and there are still people who hate her. Spike hate isn't going to disappear no matter how many good episodes he gets, it'll just diminish slightly.
>>
>>28192298
I am not saying that there isn't some truth to the Spike episode hate, he hasn't had a massive hit until Gauntlet of Fire, but when it comes to episodes that are below average it isn't much different than RD.

But I mean if you said "It's an RD episode, looks like I am sleeping in." anytime before now, the fandom would have criticized your taste. I even wonder why the fandom needs a mane cast member to hate anyway. I mean why is RD sort of becoming the new Spike (even down to her fans being more vocal about their love for her)?
>>
>>28192326
Even several Rarity episodes are also shared with Spike (i.e. A Dog and Pony Show, Inspiration Manifestation)
>>
>>28192343
Well RD was a bit odd because she was popular at the start and only recently hit a slump. Spike had the exact opposite: he was insanely unpopular until S4/5, when suddenly all of the Spikefags became really vocal.
>>
>>28192196
>It's probably his age
Seems so. Though most people here still haven't ever given the crusaders a fair chance, while I think Bloom and Gloom and AB's general role in season 5 was at least as good as Spike's been this season. The writers really treated her well then, but most people didn't notice, just because she's young or "filler" or whatever.

I guess it's because his age is less of an important part of his conflicts than it is to them. The crusaders being about finding themselves and growing up, which to a lesser extent also applies to Spike, but people who just hate kids can focus on the "cool, sarcastic" traits they see in him.
>>
>>28192366
Spike was really good in S4, but people ignore his episodes.
>>
>>28192366
But even now, I can't imagine if the RD slump keeps up that the fandom will ever crap on her or her fanbase the way they did with Spike.
>>
>>28190170
>like Rarity is
Spike, you aren't old enough to be posting on this site.
>>
>>28192196
If he's older than the CMC, it means AJ's parents didn't bother seeing her off when she left for Manehattan.
>>
>>28192576
AJ seems like she was always independent.
>>
File: RottenApple.png (1MB, 1129x968px)
RottenApple.png
1MB, 1129x968px
>>28190170
>loved by most like Rarity is?
>>
>>28192617
Being independent has nothing to do with bothering to say goodbye to your daughter as she goes to live somewhere else. It certainly didn't stop Granny Smith and Big Mac.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.