[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Wtf? Why are they teaching Elementary students High School physics?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 24

File: physics.jpg (136KB, 1427x494px) Image search: [Google]
physics.jpg
136KB, 1427x494px
Wtf? Why are they teaching Elementary students High School physics?
>inb4 "I'm speshul student"
>>
remember when math/physics was actual math/physics and not apples and random signs
>>
>>28090224
>random signs

Looks like you have yet to take physics, eh underageb&? Besides the apple most of that looks legit.

Changing the topic completely, isn't it kind of retarded that the CMC don't think of asking the ponies who specialize in what they want to specialize in to help them? I mean we the conflict and lesson would be different if they'd done that, but they aren't retarded horse children, you'd think they'd confer and decide to pair off Apple Bloom-RD Scootaloo-AJ Sweetie Bell-RY. That would be exactly the kind of calculating, utility maximizing decision children would make.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NsIh1-G6FIw&autoplay=1
PHHHHHHHYSSSSSIIIIICS
>>
>>28090224
No, not really. Actual math and physics pretty much end up being a smattering of random signs to signify abstract concepts.
>>
>>28090261
>but they aren't retarded horse children
I'm pretty sure they are. See: Their goddawful concert way back in S1.
>>
>>28090201
she obviously was trolling them at first and then simply taught them basic physics, they even lampshaded this in that very scene that they are too young for this
>>
>>28090261
Maybe you faglord.
There isn't a single line that leads to anything.
>>
>>28090201
My Little Pony: Friendship is Science
>>
File: it aint hard.png (8KB, 517x502px) Image search: [Google]
it aint hard.png
8KB, 517x502px
>>28090201
"Kinetic and Potential energy!"
Basic concept of it that I remember taught makes sense with just this.
>>
>>28090201
Now I wonder if Cheerilee can out-science Twilight
>>
>>28090224
>physics
>not apples
>>
>>28090376
Definitely not.
>>
>>28090376
She recited one of the most basic concepts you can grab off of a fucking wiki article, that does not make her a scientist.
>>
>>28090405
>>28090413
Ohhhhh, so just because she's an earth pony means she can't compete in science, is that right?!
>>
>>28090452
Stop being racist
>>
>>28090452
Well, yes
>>
>>28090452
What are you? a erfinist?
Twilight, clearly has the superior intellect. She has been studying majority of her life.
>>
>>28090666
Unicorns are sided with the Devil!
>>
>>28090201
>I watch an episode in two minutes
Do you know how fast you were speeding? Try actually watching the episode instead of looking at pics
>>
>>28090452
more like because she is just the teacher of some gradeschool kids
>>
>>28090201
>pi equals alpha to the power of one

what did she mean by this
>>
File: much science.jpg (3KB, 183x56px) Image search: [Google]
much science.jpg
3KB, 183x56px
wow
>>
>>28091175
>>
>>28091175
>>
File: Newton-tree-apple.jpg (150KB, 1094x854px) Image search: [Google]
Newton-tree-apple.jpg
150KB, 1094x854px
>>28090224
>not apples
nigga do you even science?
>>
File: 1470497448221.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1470497448221.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>28090201
Who makes this crap up anyway? Assuming it doesn't make sense.
>>
>>28091334
>>
File: apul.png (612KB, 586x9991px) Image search: [Google]
apul.png
612KB, 586x9991px
>>
>>28091370
KEK
>>
>>28090361
Bottom should be 0% PE, but I'm sure you knew that, right?
>>
>>28090201
Because there's no middle or high school, and the CMC are meant to be near their EQG age. It made sense and added up, until the writers start making them go around, saying, "oh I'm scared of disagreeing with grown-ups!", treating them like babies and ignoring 5 seasons of development.
>>
>>28090280
>implying they're the same they were in season 1
This is the fucking problem with discussing these characters on this board. Too many people aren't open to development and already have their bad meme personalities firmly in place.
>>
>>28090201
Also, why does Cheerilee have this on her chalkboard 24/7? That upside-down triangle is the gradient operator in vector calculus, which is taught in calculus II or III in university. What the hell?
>>
>>28091175
WTF is that supposed to be a joke? it's drilled into our heads by teachers that the multiplication sign is redundant. Proper notation would be: 6("Apple").
>>
>>28091770
dude, this is ponies. We can assume the Mane 6 to bein their young 20s, and the the CMC ~= 6th grade or so. But in human years, that's a bit older, and cutie marks mean that some fillies are better at math than grown ponies, more so than child prodigies and savants in the human world. Maud has a roctorate, and I assume she's in her young 20s as well. Then again, Maud is kinda a savant maybe.

>>28091817
yeah, this. PEMDAS is useless. Ever since sophmore year in high school, when I started taking dual-credit college classes, I only used parentheses
>>
File: real physics.gif (379KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
real physics.gif
379KB, 500x281px
The more recent example
>>
>>28091370
-4(5)^3((2(13)-74)/15)=1600
>>
>>28091843
And the classic.
>>
>>28091851
>^3
>/15
>>
>>28091852
>classic
No, that's not classical physics, that's relativity.
>>
>>28091839
Lol, in Canada we learn BEDMAS.
I don't know about how PEMDAS is taught, but we were explicitly taught to remove redundant signs like multiplication signs with brackets (parenthesis), and that FOIL isn't as good as a general formula since a general formula/rules can be used in lots of ways, making remembering FOIL obsolete, and they encouraged us to show only the required steps when showing our work, so we could save time, etc.
>>
File: 1469059409732.jpg (64KB, 894x894px)
1469059409732.jpg
64KB, 894x894px
>>28091872
Genuinely confused.
What's your issue with those?
>>
>>28091901
nah, it's completly different in the US.

They give us an equation like 3 * ( 5 + 8 ) - 22 / 4 + 3

You solve for the parentheses, P, then exponents, E, then multiply and divide, MD, then subtract and add, AS
>>
>>28091917
>^2
>/3
>>
File: Orange is the new Appul.png (125KB, 408x388px) Image search: [Google]
Orange is the new Appul.png
125KB, 408x388px
>>28090677
>Spotted the retarded Applefag

Also, checked.
>>
>>28091942
Your example is identical to what BEDMAS is, I was just trying to state what could be differences. Solve what's in brackets, solve the exponents, divide or multiply, cause the order doesn't matter, and then add or subtract, cause the order doesn't matter.
>>
>>28091952
You're so confusing. You could use words too, you know. I got lazy and just used the defined variable in place of writing out 3(5), so 15, and the exponent clearly says ^3, not ^2. I feel like I'm being trolled.
>>
>>28090361
Pendulums are much better to illustrate mechanical energy, famm.
>>
why do they use english letters for mathematics and made-up Russian looking symbols for newspapers?
>>
File: serious1080.webm (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
serious1080.webm
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>28092738
>>
What does it mean /mlp/?
>>
>>28092827
Saleel Al Sawarim
>>
>>28092827
Gods of the track
>>
>>28092856
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQoJvI8XUa0

The chorus, although I know no Arabic or whatever fucking language this is, is so fucking soothing.
>>
>>28090201
I'm speshul student
>>
>>28091852
what was this again?
>>
>>28091652
Not if the ball can bounce, dumbass.
>>
>>28091877
fuk u underrated post
>>
>>28090361

pe is 0 at bottom you faggot. even if it bounced it would be probably >1% of original pe
>>
Special request from Twilight.
>>
>>28091356
The diagram on the lower right is a light-cone.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_cone
>>
File: d96[1].jpg (43KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
d96[1].jpg
43KB, 500x500px
>>28091852
>mfw the lorentz factor

Special relativity a best, general relativity a shit.
>>
>>28094895
L2manifolds
>>
>>28094901
>implying spacetime is curved

If heavy mass objects alter the passage of time, then one should be able to time travel by sitting next to your mom.
>>
>>28094926
In special relativity the space time is also curved, the only difference is that he curvature is constant.
>>
File: twi squee.gif (3MB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
twi squee.gif
3MB, 500x281px
>>28090201
MLP takes place in a future where certain technologues are so sophisticated they're indistinguishable from magic. and are referred to as such. So physics IS elementary-school stuff to pones.
>>
File: 1387468521482.png (195KB, 1140x667px) Image search: [Google]
1387468521482.png
195KB, 1140x667px
>>28094895
>>28094901
>>28094926
>>28094933
I love it when stuff like this happens
>>
>>28095102
Forgive me for asking, but how did that thread go from k-pop to algerbraic formulas?
>>
>>28090201
I think it was just a bit Cheerilee was doing. Reminded me of this. https://youtu.be/T-yi7Oq4XZU
>>
>>28090201
>all these faggots who can't count to apple
>>
>>28095083
My headcanon (Which, really, can be applied to any magical setting) is that the whole world is permeated by a field of fine nanobots - every time a civilization advances to a certain degree of technology, their progress becomes exponential, and they quickly develop advanced technology. At the same time, the technology eventually causes the world to end.

After nanobots were invented, they were instructed to clear global warming and restore the environment, but after something went wrong, they quickly dismantle everything.

After a few millennia, the nanobots are dormant from a lack of input, but some species have evolved to communicate with the machines, using horns as antenna for radio waves. While their basic function is limited to reproducing and some basic matter manipulation, en masse and in certain configuration, it gives us the magical "Spells" we see.

Energy weapons are clusters of nanobots firing overpower disassembly lasers. The particles are nanobots disintegrating from the overload. Only some unicorns can do it because it requires advanced knowledge ("Fire Suicide Laser" isn't an integrated function)

Teleportation is literally being disassembled and reassembled, with data conveyed over weak intra-bot radio (The reason long-distance teleportation isn't really possible).

The bots are also designed to latently enhance biological function and act as a sort of hands-free internet access system, connecting with satellite archives to beam knowledge directly into the mind in the form of vague suggestion (The reason there are multiple references to bullets, tanks, "Man"/"Men", advanced physics being taught to children). Automatic DNA repair and health preservation allows some organisms to live for centuries, while errors in the system result in heavy mutation - causing the existence of "Manticores", "Phoenices", and "Gryphons".
>>
>>28095582
Shields are nanobots constructing themselves into a thin several-molecule-thick shield with a structure like graphene. This is also a complex function (Again, hence why only some unicorns can do it)

Basic "Spells" like telekinesis are integrated into the bots, and are easy to command.

Time travel and dimensional travel are also possible, and the only reason they can be done is because of the old-tech knowledge repositories subtly being beamed into the psyche. The nanobots can be, of course, programmed to perform those functions.

The old civilization's use of this technology infiltrated itself into parallel universes (EqG), though since the nanobots don't recognize the structures of the new world, and lack access to the knowledge-repositories, they can't do jack shit until someone with the radio-control mutation turns up. Cue the arrival of Twilight and Sunset. We see that in the EqG world, some individuals have developed the mutation, but it is not widespread, nor is it very thorough - basically vestigial. Since the 'bots are used to the DNA of the "Old-species", they introduce elements of their DNA to any species they encounter, sometimes fucking up big time (Demon Twilight, Sunset). This is why the EqG people are pink.

The elements of harmony are an advanced system created by the old-race as a way of communicating with the bots. They contain microprocessors capable of interacting with the nanobots in ways the radio-control mutation cannot. The "Rainbow friendship blast thingy" is a highly concentrated delivery of nanobots via orbital means, under the control of the EoH. They do whatever the wielder(s) want, from petrification to totally rearranging brain chemistry ("Cure Mental Illness").

Like I mentioned before, the bots were also made to function as a direct link to the internet. One of these links is social media; this manifests itself in some races with the radio-control mutation as a sort of latent emotional telepathy.
>>
>>28093797
No, it would still be zero. Once it bounces back up, only then would it gain potential energy once more, but lose its kinetic energy in the process. Didn't you learn conservation of energy?
>>
>>28095693
Essentially, the organisms have evolved to broadcast their emotional state via the network through their brain chemistry (Since the network was made to telepathically connect you to the internet, it requires no antenna).

Over the course of millenia of the nanobots' work, the planet has deteriorated massively. Billions of tonnes of material in the crust, mantle and core were used to construct nanobots, which have redistributed themselves into the air - this has resulted in a subtle reduction of gravity over time as more mass is around and above us, rather than over us.

Half of the world is sea, with the other half being Equestria, which is the only place where there are nanobots. That's why gravity doesn't just equalize itself from there being just as many nanobots on the other side.

Pegasi fly through a combination of fucked up genetics from fucked up nanobot DNA caches and using wings as radio control antennae rather than horns - while they do not emit light. they are also much less functional, with pegasi being only able to execute a few biologically pre-programmed commands. Organisms with multiple antennae are able to command much more potent "Magic", being able to reach out to more bots. Alicorns are the result of botched healing, from a combination of fucked up DNA caches and emergency healing in case of near-death.

Unicorns use their horns as antennae, pegasi use wings, and Earth ponies use hooves. Other races don't have the mutation, and cannot use magic. Note that Gryphons can fly simply because of natural biology.
>>
>>28095769

Then what about dragons and Centaurs?
>>
>>28095795
All the creatures are a result of fucked-up DNA repair caches. Dragons are spliced abominations, as are basically everything else.
>>
>>28090201
im surprised they even teach physics. seeing as how celestia and luna fuck with the sun and moon and discord can just outright fuck in the face of general relativity
>>
>>28090201
Cheerilee is a very good teacher.
>>
>>28095417
That's not a number, Anon.
>>
>>28095818

Magic is a natural science in Equestria, it can be studied, researched and theorized upon.

Even if magic is the most important science for most ponies, the other sciences are undoubtedly helpful as well. Same way you'll get much more out of chemistry if you know some basic physics as well, or how you won't be able to do physics at all without at least a basic understanding of math.
>>
>>28090201
Conversion of potential to kinetic energy is simple to explain.
>>
File: 131638366595.png.jpg (52KB, 536x408px)
131638366595.png.jpg
52KB, 536x408px
>>28090201
>>28091334
>>28091356
You can trade a carrot and an apple for a piece of art by Ponecaso, a horseshoe, or a barrel.

However one horseshoe, and a piece of Ponecaso art, is only equal to one barrel.

The bottom left is explaining why Ponecaso art is so cheap, it's just a bunch of shapes thrown together.

Top middle shows the rate of magical power expected at different ages.

Bottom middle shows how a pie is to be cut if you are dining with Princess Luna and Princess Celestia. As well as the ingreadients for their favourite pie. Six apples, one pot of lumpy jam.

Top right is the formula Luna made up when anyone asked how she controls the night sky. Deliberately confusing as in reality she and Celestia don't do anything.

And bottom right is Cherilees explanation on how to balance a cone on top of another cone.
>>
>>28090201
How do you think ponies have a peaceful society? They're more intelligent than humans.
>>
>>28098440
that's bullshit logic
>>
>>28098454
And that's why you're not a pony.
>>
>>28092827
Tools of the Trade
>>
>>28092827

It explains how the carts move- the wood they use in it apparently absorbs solar energy and store it in yieldable returns of mechanical energy. A block of wood in those dimensions = approximately one ponypower.

Which is fucking neato.
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.