[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people hate the idea of Glim Glam being a 7th main member?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 20

File: cucksII.png (57KB, 734x636px) Image search: [Google]
cucksII.png
57KB, 734x636px
Why do people hate the idea of Glim Glam being a 7th main member? And why are Shimmerfags so fucking salty
>>
File: Luna as that autist.png (139KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
Luna as that autist.png
139KB, 900x506px
>>27961786
>Did you forget about their counterparts? Plus Pinkie Pie regularly swaps worlds with her doppelganger, so she would've passed word to the rest.
>Desperately grabbing at strings
>>
>>27961786
>Why do people hate the idea of Glim Glam being a 7th main member?
Autists hates changes

>And why are Shimmerfags so fucking salty
Because their waifu is nor canon.
>>
>>27961786
Fuck you Slashy
>>
>>27961786
Spoiler alert: 99% of ponyfags are actually fags.
>>
>>27961786
Because she's a fucking mary sue that didn't have to put any effort into being accepted as the new shoehorned trash?
>>
Glimmer fags a shit
>>
File: qtglimmyglim.png (360KB, 606x606px) Image search: [Google]
qtglimmyglim.png
360KB, 606x606px
>>27961920
t. butthurt s*immerfag
>>
File: SCRUNCHYFACEHNNNNNNGGG.png (215KB, 579x473px) Image search: [Google]
SCRUNCHYFACEHNNNNNNGGG.png
215KB, 579x473px
>>27961786
I want there to be a Mane 8/9
>>
>>27961956
fuck off shitposter you're literally worse than nyx
>>
>>27961786
Because she's a mary sue
>And why are Shimmerfags so fucking salty
Because they're delusional morons who are obsessed with EQG
>using the word salty
>>>/reddonychandaily/
>>
Is this for the "earn her throne" thing? Come on, even Spike has his own throne. Why Starlight can't have one?
>>
>>27962003
>become evil after losing just one friend
>enslaving a time and messing with time itself just to get revenge
>instantly forgive lmao
>post reformation, has next to no character aside from being Twilight's bitch and muh regret
>a character like this EVER being the same worth as the rest of the mane 6

Starlight a shit character. Great villain though.
>>
>>27961786
because it's unnecessary and shimmerfags are just mad that their blank slate of a character will never be canon
>>
>>27961786
Because Starlight is a shitty shoehorned character.
>>
>>27962284
No, she isn't.
>>
>>27962298
Name me one hobby Starlight has. Just one.

Oh wait, you can't, because she's bland as fuck now and only exists so Twilight can have a student.
>>
the main reason I oppose glimglam becoming a main character is because the main cast's colour pallet is already pretty heavy on blue hues.
>>
>>27961786
Sunset was here first.
Get used to it Freshmen.
>>
>>27962258
I wouldn't say she's a bad character, just underdeveloped. for a reformation to take place all that needs to happen is that the person or character has a revelation, a moment of clarity. Although her actual arc could've been better, the speed at which she reformed was fine.

Her settling in comfortably could've taken longer, but mostly her efforts to reform have been sort of left to the side. She's done, what? Made up with an old friend and made a new one. That's a fine start but it hasnt developed the character much.
She needs new hobbies, interests, likes and dislikes, etc.

Right now I think Trixie might actually have more to her character.
>>
>>27962298
Fuck off Shimmerfag
>>
>>27962361
Problem is it's been half the damn season and we still barely know anything about Starlight. Sure, not every episode needs to be about her, but is it too much to ask for something in another episode like:

>AJ: Hey Starlight, wanna help me with muh farm problems?

>Starlight: No thanks, I'm doing [insert hobby or occupation here]

Just something that makes her feel like a character.

Right now she feels like a device.

>Alright we need a Twilight episode... but she's a Princess now, so just chuck in Starlight and have Twilight angst over her a bit.
>>
>>27962390
like I said, underdeveloped. she's done things but they haven't told us all that much about her character.

But remember, this is more or less how the mane 6 started out. they were defined by their one gimmick. Muh apples, muh parties, muh animals. They needed some time to develop. Something they haven't really done for Glimglam.
I think they've really dropped the ball in that regard. We've seen her for half a season and have had some episodes focussed on her, yet they completely failed to capitalize on those oppertunities.
>>
>>27961828
>Plus Pinkie Pie regularly swaps worlds with her doppelganger
>people think a retarded throwaway joke from a fake "blooper reel" makes something canon
I really hope these people kill themselves.
>>
File: mspaintface advanced.png (156KB, 4359x3000px) Image search: [Google]
mspaintface advanced.png
156KB, 4359x3000px
>>27962258
Dynamite Villain.
She's basically Skullface Pony.

>When she was a filly she lost her friend, the bedrock for any developing pony. Her country, her friends, her cutie mark, her identity; everything was stolen from her.
>"Equestria is a country of harmony. A meeting of immigrants. Instead of simply assimilating, its citizens live alongside others. So the Princess sought a system that used information - marks, to control the subconscious."
>In her eyes, the greatest symbiotic parasite isn't microbial, it's epidermal. Cutie Marks are what keep Equestria, our world alive. Free the world, not by taking mare's lives but by taking their flanks.
>"With this I'll rid the world of infestation! Sans Butt Marks the world will be torn asunder, and then it shall be free."
>"The chain of Equality is what will truly bind this world together as one."
>>
File: 1449109182556.jpg (974KB, 2480x2668px) Image search: [Google]
1449109182556.jpg
974KB, 2480x2668px
>>27961786
When Shimmer came around she was supposed to be the 7th mane character for many Shimmerfags.
Now that place is taken by Glimmer.
>>
File: 1449459565136.png (540KB, 1110x720px) Image search: [Google]
1449459565136.png
540KB, 1110x720px
>>27961786
To be honest, I'd say it's a breakdown between those who liked Equestria Girls and those who didn't.
Shim Sham and Glim Glam have very similar arcs:
>Both are dark reflections of Twilight who demonstrate what she could have become without friends to help her
>Both are villains with incredible magic who seeks to exert power over others for selfish reasons
>Both have a petty grudge against Twilight (Ruining Starlight's Village, Stealing Sunset's Position as Celestia's Student)
>Both access incredibly ancient and powerful magic to bring about chaos and desolation
>Both are defeated by Twilight and shown the error of their ways (Sorta reverse order for Starlight, but unimportant)
>Both become students of Twilight in learning the path of friendship and becoming a better pony
The only difference is time. Sunset's showed up after Season 3. Starlight had her debut in Season 5. Now for anyone who watched Equestria Girls, they would understandably see Sunset as the more logical choice for a Seventh Ranger. Anyone who wanted nothing to do with Equestria Girls they wouldn't have cared about Sunset, and preferred Starlight when she first appeared or perhaps when she reformed.
I'm sure their are outliers. People who hated Equestria Girls but like the concept of Sunset Shimmer. People who enjoyed Equestria Girls but think Starlight is a more appropriate choice for the Mane Seven. But overall I'd say opinions on Equestria Girls primary color people's choice of Shim vs Glim.
I mean, I'm a Shimmerfag and I can't even start a civil debate on this topic without someone shouting "Non-canonical!" I'd expect that kind of rhetoric from IDW comic discussion but not on the subject of Equestria Girls.
>>
>>27962770
I prefer Shimmer's colors, design, and backstory, but dislike EqG except for her opening burglar scene.
>>
>>27961786
She has no connection to the Elements of Harmony, so pretending that she can ever be as important as the others seems really fake.
>>
File: 1143322.png (465KB, 1280x915px) Image search: [Google]
1143322.png
465KB, 1280x915px
>>27961786
>>
>>27961786
I haven't seen the first half of season 6, other than the intro episodes, but I prefer Sunset over Starlight because they had the same basic story, but Sunset was there first. Plus, if you take the comics into account, she has a more interesting backstory.

And there's a really good fanfic about Sunset that's probably colored my perception (The Witch of the Everfree by MagnetBolt). Also A Moment in the Sun by Chengar Qordath wasn't bad, though a little unnecessarily wordy at times.

Sunset has been a character in three movies, so we've had more time to explore her. Plus I don't like how ridiculously powerful with magic Starlight seems. Like, she's better than Twilight, who has studied magic under Celestia her whole life and is literally the princess of magic.

Also, Sunset has a superior design. To all the ponies.
>>
File: Titlecard-Fairly_Odd_Baby.jpg (97KB, 720x486px) Image search: [Google]
Titlecard-Fairly_Odd_Baby.jpg
97KB, 720x486px
look at fairly odd parents

they just keep adding shitty new characters when you start to run out of ideas

glimmer is just the beginning of the downfall
>>
>>27962361
>for a reformation to take place all that needs to happen is that the person or character has a revelation, a moment of clarity.

One thing I've never loved about, like, MLP and Star Wars is a sudden change in character or thinking. I feel like most of those kind of big changes happen gradually, rather than in one moment of epiphany. That said, Sunset and Starlight both had pretty big epiphany moments, Nightmare Moon was mindraped into being good again, and Discord is basically still the same as he was. Even Darth Vader had a pretty good reason, and a lot of years to slowly become good again.

If anyone's ever read the horrible new Star Wars novel Dark Disciple, it does an absolutely terrible job of this.
>>
>>27962682
I don't follow doe.
How does that make any sense when Shimmer isn't even a Friendship Is Magic character?

>>27963265
Sunset was not there first. She was never on FiM. She doesn't know any of the M6 sans Twilight and it just seems inane to have a character like that be a main character out of the blue. Weak writing there.
Glimmer at the least is a proper FiM character that will hopefully get fleshed out
>>
>>27962770
Pretty much this.

I'm one of the outliers you mention: I actually deeply like the idea of Sunset Shimmer as a character: The student who had too much thrust upon her too quickly and believed she was more capable until her own hubris blinded her. I wish we'd gotten some kind of rationalization for Sunset Satan - was it the element itself that did it to her, just an outward manifestation of her internal anger, or a persona she chose? - but overall I think her character has a tremendous amount of potential. I'd have vastly, vastly preferred her to Starlight "my entire character arc is five minutes long" Glimmer, who I feel had tremendous potential as an ideological opponent for the M6 but has been utterly squandered in every appearance.

The catch, of course, is that I deeply dislike Equestria Girls. Even RR, which I will admit was far better than either its predecessor or follow-up, left me with the nagging feeling that everything would make much more sense and be vastly more interesting if the story were taking place in Equestria and not in a generic, cliched high school setting. So many plot holes and logic gaps, from the "teenage army" to reconciling Principal Celestia with her millenia-old counterpart to the utter lack of care all the other humans display for genuine magic, would be instantly resolved if the films had been set in varying parts of Equestria instead.
>>
File: Entire Kitchen 1.png (328KB, 670x660px) Image search: [Google]
Entire Kitchen 1.png
328KB, 670x660px
>>27963156
I like the scene in Rainbow Rocks, at the sleepover, when Twilight and Sunset talk one on one and realize they're not that different. Pic related.
>>
>>27963329
Shimmerfags wanted her to become the 7th mane character.
And they expected her to be the first pick if it ever came to that.
>>
>>27963324
>Disney SW content
>Expecting anything good out of it
>Ever
There's your problem.
>>
>>27961786
I hope sunshit is made canon just to spite you glimmercunts. Congrats on being even more insufferable twats than those autists.
>>
>>27963329
>insisting her story is invalid just because she isn't canon.

I get that Sunset is never going to be in FiM, and was never going to be. In fact, I hope EQG is never canon, but it's a shame because Sunset is an interesting character.
>>
>>27963352
I like you, Anon. We have the same exact feelings about EQG and Sunset Shimmer. If you wrote a newsletter, I would subscribe to it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlMwc1c0HRQ.
>>
>>27963352
The problem is we really don't know how the show would handle Sunset's character. We can already see the show waste away interesting elements like Celestia, or Discord, or many other wasted potential.
I think Sunset shined exactly because of the EqG setting. Because it allowed her to expand her character since she was going to be the de-facto main character anyways. Plus with her and sci-twi being in equal standing I think it would work a lot better than in the show which probably means she would've gotten pushed to secondary character status.
>>
>>27963368
what would've made it even better: >hooves
>>
>>27963562
Nah.
Sunset looks better without hooves
>>
>>27963495
I see where you're coming from, but I'm not convinced they couldn't have written a 'side story' in which Sunset could stand independently while still being set in Equestria. I do agree that including Twilight would automatically unbalance things, but I also think there's plenty of evidence that the writers are (or were, at least - I don't know about now) capable of writing good episodes focusing on problems occurring and being resolved with Twilight only in the background.
>>
>>27963964
The problem with that is that the focus of FiM is Twilight and occasionally her friends. I don't think the writers would want to devote telling a story of a side-character when it takes away from the main story of the show. With EqG Sunset is the main character so they could focus more on her properly. IMO.
>>
>>27963415
>Needing to make Shimmer canon
That's the tragedy of it all anon. She was always canon.
>>
>>27961786
That's easy. They want to see more of their favored characters. People aren't here for the creative storytelling. It's for the emotional bonds with the characters. Focusing on a character they don't care about is just a waste of time, to them. That's why all CMC episodes are hated, no matter what happens in them. Ever since season one, these kinds of people just saw them as distractions from their m6 waifus instead of important characters. It's not about change or hating new things.
>>
>>27964794
>That's why all CMC episodes are hated, no matter what happens in them.

Maybe in the first season when they sucked. They're actually pretty good lately.
>>
>>27964794
>>27964838
This also explains why up until recently Spoke episodes were so hated. People want connections with characters over a good story. Feels before something actually interesting.
>>
>>27961786
Don't think all Shimmerfags think like that. I'm a die-hard shimmerfag but I don't think it would be beneficial for Sunny to join the group at all. There is no place for her in the show and she has a place in the movies rn. Putting her in the shows group would hold back her character progression. I would still like a small cameo or have her come on for one episode to tell Glimmer that she needs to learn to forgive herself for her past.
>>
File: 1449473717701.png (22KB, 828x522px) Image search: [Google]
1449473717701.png
22KB, 828x522px
>>27964864
>I would still like a small cameo or have her come on for one episode to tell Glimmer that she needs to learn to forgive herself for her past.
Either that or a crazy Crisis-On-Infinite-Equestria crossover event. Though I imagine we'd probably only get something like that in the comics.
>>
>>27964881
I'd be ok to see her interact with the mane 8 (is that what we're going with now?) in a comic. But like I've stated before, her home is the human world now she has no role or place in Equestria.
>>
File: sunlight_by_overlordneon-d9hndw6.jpg (279KB, 1600x914px) Image search: [Google]
sunlight_by_overlordneon-d9hndw6.jpg
279KB, 1600x914px
>>27964890
>But like I've stated before, her home is the human world now she has no role or place in Equestria.
I'd like to think she would return to Equestria someday. But only once her job in the human world is complete. Then she will return to take her place by Twilight's side. And together they shall rule as Twin Empresses of Equestria for a thousand years.
Or maybe she'd just visit to reconnect with Celestia. Either way would be nice. But regardless, yes she has far more significance in the EQG universe and trying to separate her from it would be a bad idea.
>>
File: 1468728505445.jpg (29KB, 412x430px) Image search: [Google]
1468728505445.jpg
29KB, 412x430px
>>27961786
So far the SDCC was very dissapointing. It only confirmed that theres no Celestia episode and that the finale is written by Josh "basic" Haber.

No one even asked her about Discord in the 2017 Movie. This whole SDCC suck.
>>
Because Starlight glimmer is pure shit and has nothing of interest for a backstory besides "I'm a godmode sue who is the best in the world at magic, and got REALLY sad when a boy moved away"
>>
>>27964915
Goddamn that picture is nice.
>>
File: 1469006199650.gif (499KB, 500x258px) Image search: [Google]
1469006199650.gif
499KB, 500x258px
>>27964947
>>
>>27964962
you're a glimmerfag, got it. Nice.
She's still goddamned shit, glimmerfag.

Thank god she's not in the movie.
>>
File: 1467515728068.jpg (75KB, 733x742px) Image search: [Google]
1467515728068.jpg
75KB, 733x742px
>>27964947
Speaking as the anon whose been the loudest Shimmerfag on this thread, my opinion on Starlight...
Eh, she's okay. My biggest complaint is I personally thought her whole thing with collecting cutie marks would have been more interesting if it turned out to be some plot to amass power. Maybe trying to drain all the magic from the captive cutie marks to give herself a power boost, or to overthrow Celestia. I guess I just figured she had higher aspirations what with the huge wall of stolen cutie marks.
The fact that her plan was exactly what she said was kind of a let down. Still pretty evil but not nearly as ambitious.
Her revenge scheme was pretty sweet, even if her heel-face turn kind of came out of nowhere. Also nice to see Twilight get an apprentice.
Sunset is obviously superior but Starlight has her moments.
>>
>>27964941
I spend more time discussing Danganronpa than MLP. I feel like i'm slowly leaving the ride.
>>
>>27965013
I'm actually a raging Shimmerfag but your attack on glimmer was really shit.
>>
>>27964859

Spike episodes were mostly hated by people who actually like Spike, though, and felt he always got a shit deal from the writers.
>>
>>27961786
>being a 7th main member
>7th
That's why I dislike it. There's already six main characters, plus Spike, plus the CMC, plus whatever secondary characters you want to give the limelight. There's only so many episodes a season and I'd rather they be spent on developing and expanding on characters that have been around for years that we already know and love then throw half a dozen episodes to someone brand new.
>>
>>27961786
because 6 + Spike has been the norm for 5 seasons, and that Shimmer is friends with the human6 would mean that she SHOULD be the 7th character
Starlight came out of nowhere and was a super fast turn around from something she had been doing for years
>>
File: 1451305608231.gif (535KB, 304x367px) Image search: [Google]
1451305608231.gif
535KB, 304x367px
>>27961786
Good Glimmer is objectively better than Good Sunshit.

>Sunset
>Queen Bitch throughout the vast majority of the movie
>gets btfo at the end
>lol I'm good now please forgiev me :DDDDDD
>next movie she might as well be a new character
>no hooves

>Glimmer
>Villian, but not as one-dimensional
>it takes a whole two part episode and a fucking apocalyptic revelation to get her to change
>she still clings to her old tendencies and has to undergo more character development to change
>has hooves
>>
>>27966320
But that doesn't make it right.
EqG m6 does not equal FiM m6
>>
>>27963199
m-more please
>>
File: 1467294648385.jpg (285KB, 1600x1372px) Image search: [Google]
1467294648385.jpg
285KB, 1600x1372px
>>27963199
>>27967988
I do have to admit, they are pretty cute together.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.