[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What do you think of the first half of Season 6? There was

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 12

File: tumblr_o8j8qaPegq1qzkiifo1_1280.png (187KB, 640x376px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o8j8qaPegq1qzkiifo1_1280.png
187KB, 640x376px
What do you think of the first half of Season 6?

There was a post on Equestria Daily asking this but that place is kind of a hugbox and most of the discussion is very generic anyway: "it sucks" "best season so far" "I love Trixie and Starlight" "MLP's target audience is six year old girls, of course you're not going to like the show, stop criticizing it and acting so entitled" etc. What do you guys think?

Personally I'm not a fan of this season. I've found most of the episodes are forgettable and the ones I do remember are because they either pandered to fans (Trixie/Starlight) or there was an incredible amount of backlash (Flurry Heart, cringey Rainbow Dash). The Hearth's Warming episode was still pretty good, but I don't remember much of it aside from Luna singing at the end.

Here's the list of episodes we've had so far incase you've forgotten:

1 - The Crystalling – Part 1
2 - The Cutie Map – Part 2
3 - The Gift of the Maud Pie
4 - On Your Marks
5 - Gauntlet of Fire
6 - No Second Prances
7 - Newbie Dash
8 - A Hearth's Warming Tail
9 - Saddle Row Review
10 - Applejack's "Day" Off
11 - Flutter Brutter
12 - Spice Up Your Life
>>
It just doesn't feel like MLP anymore
>>
File: Sunburst Accessories Big.png (1MB, 548x548px) Image search: [Google]
Sunburst Accessories Big.png
1MB, 548x548px
I'm a sucker for musical episodes and episodes where the Mane 6 are actors in a play, so A Hearth's Warming Tale is now in my top 10.

Saddle Row Review was a great SoL episode where the writers got to try out the "fake reality TV interview sessions" trope from shows like Modern Family and The Office. Definitely made the season worth watching.

Gauntlet of Fire was a great adventure episode, but they're not my favorite anyway.

Gift of Maud Pie, On Your Marks, No Second Prances and Applejack's "Day" Off were weak episodes (in my opinion) compared to the rest, but they were mostly harmless.

I liked the Crystalling almost exclusively for the exploration of Starlight and Sunburst's story, something I never expected to be resolved. It was a heartwarming reunion, and totally human for Starlight to have this built-up image of Sunburst in her head, only to have him be some nobody shut-in that just never wrote home out of neglect. It hit pretty close to home, really.
>>
>>27635215

I liked it
>>
>>27635325
The show hasn't changed, you have
>>
About the same as the first half of most seasons, a mix of great episodes (stuff like Saddle Row Review, Hearths Warming, Gauntlet of Fire and Flutter Brutter)

Good Ones: like Gift of Maud Pie, Crystalling and No Second Prances.

And more meh ones like On Your Marks, Newbie Dash and Applejacks Day off.

Not sure where Id put Spice Up Your Life yet personally, I was annoyed at how weirdly off Rarity was in the middle part of the episode but otherwise I liked it more than the 3 episodes I listed as meh.

There haven't been any total flaming trainwreck episodes in the style of Princess Spike or Rainbow Falls yet so that's good.
>>
>>27635444
Watch an episode in Season 1, and compare it to any episode in Season 6. You'll notice numerous character, scenery and situational differences that show a drastic change in the series. There definitely is a change.
>>
>>27635537

Well duh, when it comes to scenery and stuff like that they've made the backgrounds better as the seasons, and the characters have developed beyond who they were in Season 1.
>>
>>27635444
No, the show's definitely different now.

It's up to you if the change in direction has ruined it or not.
>>
>>27635215
>1-2 - The Crystalling – Parts 1 & 2 7/10 Starlight-Sunburst subplot was pretty cool, main plot was well executed but not terribly exciting.

>3 - The Gift of the Maud Pie 6/10 Absurdly overrated at the time, but upon reflection it isn't very memorable, and was pretty damn boring when it aired. Plus, no pony Wall Street.

>4 - On Your Marks 7/10 I don't really have anything to say about this one, it was good, but in an indescribable way.

>5 - Gauntlet of Fire 8/10 Good development for spike, Dragons having a Beowulf-esque warrior society was cool.

>6 - No Second Prances 8/10 Actual development for Trixie to the surprise of all, development for Starlight, comfy and well executed plot.

>7 - Newbie Dash 7/10, but 5/10 if you realize mid-episode that Rarity and Twiggles got complete circlejerk episodes when they accomplished their dreams, and that even Pinkie Pride was like 55% Pinkie is great circlejerk, yet RD accomplishing her dream is like 90% shitting on her and 10% intro and author's saving throw. Seriously, it's fine on it's own, but in the context of the Dash-Wonderbolts story arc it's an extreme disappointment after Rarity Investigates.

>8 - A Hearth's Warming Tail 8/10 Vogel, surprisingly, can write songs and dialogue well, knows the characters, and put together a decent pony rendition of A Christmas Carol. Would be 8.5/10, but Scootaloo wasn't Tiny Tim, an oversight which I can never forgive.

>9 - Saddle Row Review 10/10 Flawless from start to finish.

>10 - Applejack's "Day" Off 6/10 Appul is many things, a complete retard isn't one of them. Attempts to mitigate the damage of Dusedau's involvement prevented it from being even worse.

>11 - Flutter Brutter 9/10 I do not understand how anyone disliked this episode. Comfy, full of slapstick, and cringe comedy done right, with an oblivious ass hamming it up, unaware of how abhorrent his behavior is.

>12 - Spice Up Your Life 7/10 Rarity kinda OOC, besides that good moral and comfy episode.
>>
>>27635605

I think Flutter Brutter just hit too close to home for some people, but yeah Ivs seen some people utterly HATE the episode and I don't get it, it was practically the first time something new and interesting was done with Fluttershy in years.
>>
>>27635605

I think part of the reason some people were so jarred by Rarity in Spice up your Life is that it was the first time in a while they didn't just have a giant circlejerk about how great and amazing she is in an episode she's majorly focused in
>>
File: 1456581718233.png (158KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1456581718233.png
158KB, 200x200px
>>27635215
I was pretty high watching almost every episode this season. So it was pretty great.

It was a thing I was trying. Smoke a bowl while watching the new ep saturday night. It made all the episodes that much better, but I don't think I'll do that for the second half.

Also, Game of Thrones is pretty fun to watch high.
>>
>>27635651
More like Rarara values individuality and she spent the bulk of the episode trying to convince the restaurant to be like everyone else.

Though personally I think it's justifiable because she wasn't tailoring the restaurant to her taste, but to Zesty Gourmand's.
>>
>>27635692

What ISN'T Improved by watching it high?
>>
>>27635651
The shock for me was that she had no real creative inspiration for the restaurant. It seemed really weird for her to default to "what everybody else is doing," but I understand they were really pressed for time.
>>
1. Gauntlet of Fire
2. The Saddle Row Review
3. Flutter Brutter
4. A Hearth's Warming Tail
5. No Second Prances
6. The Gift of the Maud Pie
7. The Crystalling 1/2
8. On Your Marks
9. Newbie Dash
10. Applejack's "Day" Off
>>
>>27635697
Applejack's Day Off was still pretty bad. I don't think there's enough weed in the world to make that episode watchable.
>>
>>27635692
DUDE
WEED
LMAO
>>
>>27635758
The Fox brothers did the best they could do salvage a terrible Dusedau script.
>>
MLP's target audience is six year old girls, of course you're not going to like the show, stop criticizing it and acting so entitled
>>
File: 4271235813.jpg (148KB, 602x654px) Image search: [Google]
4271235813.jpg
148KB, 602x654px
>>27635776
>"""""just""""" for six years old
>implying
>>
File: 1347321081182.jpg (30KB, 641x591px) Image search: [Google]
1347321081182.jpg
30KB, 641x591px
>>27635215
>1 - The Crystalling – Part 1
3/10
>2 - The Cutie Map – Part 2
2/10
>3 - The Gift of the Maud Pie
7/10
>4 - On Your Marks
8/10
>5 - Gauntlet of Fire
ember 6/10
>6 - No Second Prances
6.5/10
>7 - Newbie Dash
6/10
>8 - A Hearth's Warming Tail
10/10 for this season
>9 - Saddle Row Review
9/10
>10 - Applejack's "Day" Off
4/10
>11 - Flutter Brutter
5/10
>12 - Spice Up Your Life
7/10

Second worst season so far
>>
>>27635776
Fuck that. This show is for the manliest of men.
>>
File: 1352006002274.png (207KB, 200x198px) Image search: [Google]
1352006002274.png
207KB, 200x198px
>>27635605
>The Crystalling – Parts 1 & 2
>7/10
Literally the only good part of those episodes was the Starburst subplot
>>
>>27635537
>>27635578
Not to mention MLP isn't a show that sits stagnant with characters that although seem to learn lessons not advance the whole plotlins forward.

If nobody saw that happening all the way back in S1 and is wondering why it did so now, then maybe this isn't the show for you.
>>
>>27635215
>2 - The Cutie Map – Part 2
>4 - On Your Marks
>5 - Gauntlet of Fire
>6 - No Second Prances
>7 - Newbie Dash
havent seen it yet
>9 - Saddle Row Review
>11 - Flutter Brutter
>12 - Spice Up Your Life

I was fairly generous with these ratings, the season hasn't been terrible but certainly isn't great. I can pretty much wholly agree about the 'forgetability' of many of these episodes, they simply lack the charm/luster that really makes them good. I think it's because most of the characters tend to be fairly basic, the villains haven't been great, and the majority of the plots have been rather bland.

>>27635834
I actually quite liked that part. To me, it kinda carried the ep. Other than that I thought it was pretty much totally shit
>>
>>27635891
>Gauntlet of Fire and Saddle Row Review that low
>Spice Up Your Life THAT low

What made you feel like that?
>>
>>27635215
I don't feel like giving out numbers just yet
>2 - The Crystalling – Part 2
I liked it overall, the Spike, Starlight, and Sunburst plot was great, but I wasn't sold on the baby. She fell in the classic cartoon baby trap of having her be completely disconnected from the world around her. Also, I liked the old baby designs better
alright, it had it's moments certainly but I wouldn't say it's one of my faves.
>4 - On Your Marks
Inoffensive, but kinda forgettable. I wonder if that boy Applebloom became friends with will be a reoccurring character, or if he would go the way of Twist
>5 - Gauntlet of Fire
Great, it's fun, funny and unique
>6 - No Second Prances
Great, surprisingly dark ending for a 6+ show though.
>7 - Newbie Dash
I feel like the only person who unironically loved this ep. my inner fanboy could barely contain itself when that Rainbow portrait filled the screen at the ending
Gud, though it'd probably be very difficult to screw up a Christmas Carol.
>9 - Saddle Row Review
Great, certainly the funniest episode of the season
Kinda boring
>11 - Flutter Brutter
At least I have a part time job, right? Right?
>12 - Spice Up Your Life
I really didn't like it at first, but I felt better about it after re-watching it.

Overall, I've actually been a little underwhelmed, though to be honest, I think it's me, because when I'm actually watching one of the episodes, I'll like it more often than not, but when it's over I feel less enthused than I used to.
>>
>>27635834
That was most of the episode.
>>
>God Tier
Saddle Row Review
Hearth's Warming Eve

>Great Tier
Gauntlet of Fire
No Second Prances

>Good Tier
Spice Up Your Life
The Gift of the Maud Pie
Newbie Dash
Flutter Brutter

>Indifferent Tier
The Crystalling – Part 1
The Crystalling – Part 2
On Your Marks

>Let's ignore 126 episodes of precendent and introduce our conflict 20 minutes into the episode Tier
Applejack's "Day" Off
>>
While I think Applejack was a little ridiculous in Applejack's "Day" Off, I never thought she was completely out of character. She's called addition "fancy mathematics" then worked herself to exhaustion instead of thinking to ask for help, and ran away to work without much explanation when she couldn't win the money she promised. She has always been the "work harder, not smarter" attitude. I'm not saying Applejack's a moron but I could see her being stubborn about doing things how she thinks they should be done.
>>
>>27637001
*She's always had that attitude.
>>
>>27635444
Bullshit. The show has NEW WRITERS meaning it has changed.
>>
9/10
"The Saddle Row Review"
7/10
"Gauntlet of Fire"
6/10
"Flutter Brutter"
"On Your Marks"
"No Second Prances"
"A Hearth's Warming Tail"
5/10
"Newbie Dash"
"The Gift of the Maud Pie"
"Spice Up Your Life"
"Applejack's "Day" Off"
>>
File: 5cd.jpg (25KB, 400x462px) Image search: [Google]
5cd.jpg
25KB, 400x462px
>>27635891
>Flutter Brutter and SRR lower than A Hearth's Warming Tale and No Second Prances
>Gauntlet of Fire lower than Gift of Maud Pie and the Premiere
>hasn't even seen Newbie Dash yet

I hope for your sake that you're joking, if you're serious you have incredibly shit taste.
>>
>>27635834

That's the main plot. The Flurry Heart stuff quite literally exist entirely to facilitate it's conclusion.
>>
>>27637001

O yeah, she wasn't as bad as she was in Somepony to Watch Over Me, where she was like borderline insane in the level of over protection she was going to.
>>
>>27635215
I'm worried. It hasn't been without good ideas and decent episodes, but the season as a whole feels like it's failing to live up to its potential. It's random and directionless, as if the writers are just throwing episodes together about whatever came to mind that week and hoping they produce something memorable as a result. I hope the second half brings something more thought out.
>>
File: AJ slow chew.gif (347KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
AJ slow chew.gif
347KB, 300x300px
>>27635215
Lots of highs and lows, perhaps more lows than I'm used to.
But still enjoyable overall.
I like that they're trying new things: Saddle Row Review was a blast.
No Second Prances is probably my favourite so far, the premiere being my least favourite.
The premiere was the first time I was really disappointed with a season opener. I was really excited and my friends and I rented a room so we could watch it together, but I left feeling deflated.

What did you guys think of Flutter Brutter?
I tried my best to remain unspoiled before the episode, so all I knew was that Fluttershy's neet brother was going to be introduced.
I was kind of expecting Zephyr Breeze to be more the depressed hikikomori kind of character (which I think would have made for a more interesting episode), but instead he turned out to be this lazy, flamboyant jackass.
I found it very hard to empathize with him.
Maybe it's asking a little much for MLP to explore him in a "Welcome to the NHK-esque" fashion, but still.
>>
>>27635858
A series that's first major arc was about going to a dance didn't strike me as a series that was concerned about advancing plotlines.
>>
File: 1462333118978.png (338KB, 1024x1336px) Image search: [Google]
1462333118978.png
338KB, 1024x1336px
>>27635215
>2 - The Crystalling – Part 2
It was disappointing how lackluster this was for a season bridge, the ending was too predictable. The story between Starlight and Sunburst felt strangely disjointed.
However Spike and Starlight getting screen time was great, it felt fresh
5/10
More hilarious Pinkie/Rarity interactions, though Rarity was a little too on the zany side, more development for Maud was nice. I would have preferred Pinkie losing her party canon another way other than to the shady salesman, it felt like cop out writing
4/10
>4 - On Your Marks
I never get tired of the CMC's top class banter, even after six seasons they still bounce off each other so well as characters, it's nice we got some closure on the whole 'are they still the cutie mark crusaders?' and I liked the lesson here, also tapdance pone was qt
7/10
>5 - Gauntlet of Fire
Excellent adventure episode, Spike was written strongly and the Dragonlands were cool as fuck. Why'd they make Ember the Daughter of the Dragon Lord? if she had been some rogue dragon who conflicted with Garble, it would have reinforced Spike's nobility in giving up the scepter, and her ascending to a princess would have added a special something, not just cause she's related
7.5/10
>6 - No Second Prances
Twilight was so damn spunky this episode and I loved it, the resting bitch face she gave Trixie was so smartly inserted it left me impressed, we need more of this Twilight back, she is a goldmine for comedy.
The budding friendship between Starlight and Trixie was actually real, and present, in fact I empathised with Trixie near the end, until she was going to commit suicide by jumping into a manticore's mouth, which I found far fetched to the point drained all the tension, I don't know if this was the writers needing a way to tie up the episode and just went 'fuck it', if they had been more creative in that regard, I would give this ep a 10.
9.5/10
>>
>>27639134
>7 - Newbie Dash
It's ironic that Rainbow Dash, one of the best executed characters in the show gets the least execution in her episodes. This was a fucking cringefest
Rainbow was written so poorly I didn't even know what I was watching, RD's imitating game made me shiver with second hand embarrassment
Comedy like that works for some people, but it didn't for me.
3/10
This episode was comfy, all the ponies worked great together in every scene, every song was great, Pinkie's Present is close to Smile Smile Smile as my favorite Pinkie Song in the whole show.
More development for Starlight is always good, but I don't like them hammering the "starlight was evil" message into every episode she appears, it's getting old
8/10
>9 - Saddle Row Review
Best episode of the season hands down.
Ridiculously good pacing, clever editing and slap-bang solid jokes made this episode so damn funny and enjoyable I've watched it nearly six times now, It's so stylistically different to the MLP I know and yet it worked. It watched less like MLP and more like an episode of Office or something with the quick cutting and interview segments.
Everpony in character, creatively written, solid jokes, good moral. Not more to say, it's GOTS
10/10
Boring, very boring. The beginning dialog was flat, Applejack fabricated a desire for pampering. Spa pony had a funny accent, that is literally all I remember from it.
I saw the preview expecting a Spike/Twilight episode, with AJ unable to relax at the spa at the thought they may not meet her expectations, instead we got Rarity and Applejack solving a 5 minute problem in 22.
2/10
>>
>>27639142
>11 - Flutter Brutter
I liked Zephyr as a character, in a way I am glad he wasn't the shut in we were all expecting, otherwise the episode wouldn't have delivered. Fluttershy standing up to authority one is something I would never have expected of Fluttershy a few seasons ago, she has grown so much as a character, and it's clear here. Zephyr's flamboyancy and hipster appeal was good comedy use, especially with him bantering with RD, her reaction to his advances had me laffin. The song was okay, not great, not bad.
7/10
>12 - Spice Up Your Life
Kind of an average episode if I'm honest, at this point I want them to stop pairing Pinkie and Rarity and try something else, it felt weird Rarity wanting the restaurant to be the same when her role as a fashion designer preaches the complete opposite, it didn't feel like her character, the song was brilliant and I liked the funky beat. Food critic was nightmare fuel, and Masala is a qt3.14
6/10

There has been Himalayan levels of ups and downs so far this season, the highs left me wanting more and the lows made me cringe out of my skin
Previous seasons have been more consistent, but have lacked absolute ringers like SRR and NSP

S1 had referential continuity and build up to the Grand Galloping Gala
S2 had friendship lessons from other characters
S3 had the build up to Twilight's ascension
S4 had the rainbow power journal
S5 had the inclusion and redemption of Starlight

Season 6 feels directionless, like there's no clear plan on where they are heading with the series
Perhaps they have a plan and it's not been made clear yet.
>>
>>27639146
>Perhaps they have a plan and it's not been made clear yet.

that "plan" is the movie
>>
>>27638629
I was hoping Zepher was going to be afraid of failure and just generally unconfident in himself, letting Fluttershy see shyness from the other side and empathize, and they could try to find something he can do together. Instead they gave Fluttershy a shitty, irritating, and unlikable sibling that no one will really want to see ever again.
>>
>>27639134
Totally agree with this very long and well put together analysis.

Except I wouldn't put Newbie Dash that low.
I rewatched it, and clearly the biggest problem with it is not the episode itself, but our expectations and our love for the characters conflicting with what is genuinely a semi realistic narrative.

The same apply to Spice up your life.
We are too accustomed to see the characters never fucking up.
But if you remember season 01 correctly, the show was all about screwing up something badly, sometime in very cringy and dumb ways.

Applejack's day off was shit, but it's also the kind of episode I could see on season 01 getting a pass for no reason.
Because at the time, we never had high expectations about the show.

Coming after season 05 is really hard I'm afraid.
>>
I'm with those who think it feels like a different show now. S1 and S2 were very gentle in how they treated the characters. There was a unique vibe about the show that was completely new to me. Now it's just another good cartoon.

That said I barely hung on the ride during S3-5 because so many episodes left me wondering why I was still watching. S6 does not leave me feeling that way. The show may have turned into a more typical cartoon, and it's definitely lost some of the magic it started with, but I've enjoyed S6 so far more than I've enjoyed the show since the end of S2. So I'm kinda glad I stuck around.

>>27639146
>Season 6 feels directionless,
disagree. S6 feels like it's wrapping up several of the characters' story arcs.
>>
>>27639552
> season 01 and 02 treated the characters gently.
I don't really agree.

I think it's the opposite, and that's what we are getting back with season 06.

The writers from season 03 through 05 were afraid to show the characters's flaws.
They felt way to perfect most of the time, especially Twilight and Rarity.
And for a while it worked very well, some of my favorite episodes were in season 05.

Look back at season 01 and 02 and you will see, most of the bests episodes made the characters look like complete psycho or jackasses. (at least they are my favorites)
Sonic rainboom was really mean to Rainbow Dash and Rarity, making one very afraid of failure, like newbie dash did, and the other, kind of a diva.
Lesson Zero was a complete mental breakdown.
The one with Pinkie Pie and her imaginary friends (damn I don't remember the title) making her look like a serial killer for some of us.

And that's exactly what season 06 is giving us back.
Actual characters flaws that the writers can play of with to make episodes more entertaining and the characters more complex and relatable.
>>
>>27639146

I think the direction of the season is supposed to be Starlight's character arc but it's kind of hurt by the fact that she's not incorporated into group episodes regularly.
>>
>>27639134

For the most part I agree with a lot of these rankings but Id rank Gift of Maud Pie much higher and On Your Marks much lower. I happen to really like seeing Rarity's more laid back silly side and she and Pinkie played off each other and Maud really well, but I just can almost never get invested in Apple Bloom stories.
>>
>>27639692
>And that's exactly what season 06 is giving us back. Actual characters flaws that the writers can play of with to make episodes more entertaining and the characters more complex and relatable.
Thank you
>>
>>27640112
Starlight only really knows how to interact with Twilight and Spike so far, I don't think they're quite done with her yet
After a second thought, I'm beginning to agree with >>27639552
With Starlight under Twilight's wing she has gone full circle

From student (Twilight) to master (Celestia)
Rainbow Dash is a Wonderbolt now
Rarity is a successful owner with a flourishing business

We'll get the second half of S6, a whopping finale, then I can only assume they'll hiatus again until the movie
>>
>>27639159
It's fact that the staff working on the movie have no connection with the show
>>
>>27635651
>>27639692
As a Rarifag, I really enjoyed seeing that Rarity, in the recent episode, is still capable of making huge mistakes that even Pinkie of all ponies can be mad at her for. I don't think this side of her's been seen since season 4. Season 5 and season 6 up until this episode have portrayed her as this perfect, infallible goddess who everyone loved and fawned over. She felt quite soulless and mary-sue-ish in my opinion.
So fuck the Rarifags who thought she was out of character for not following their 'perfect vision' of who she is. She doesn't know everything about everything. She won't always do things right first time. She's not perfect.
>>
>>27640935
Twilight Sparkle will be no longer a princess in the finale.
>>
>>27635215
The only episode I can say I didn't like is the opener.

The rest have at least left me feeling good about what I just saw aside from On Your Marks for its awkward ending that gave fuel to bullshit like that OP pic and dominated "discussion" for the episode. The rest of the episode was fantastic and was building up to be one of my favorites, but fuck that ending. As someone whose favorite part of the show has been the CMC since season 3, I was not satisfied with that "closure".
I don't even know what they're doing now. I had a good idea on what their future could be before that episode aired, but after that attempt at closure, I have no idea. Are they just going to be doing random shit and making new friends from now on? Leaving us hanging with something that broad before totally ignoring them and pretending they don't exist is seriously lame and has vaguely negatively impacted my enjoyment of the whole season. Maybe that will change in later viewings when the one other CMC episode this season airs and possibly shows what they're up to in a more clear way, but for now, that bit has left me unsatisfied.

I didn't see any of this season as "forgettable", anyway. The characterization was only especially bad in No Second Prances, and that one made up for it in other ways. It's been decent, but it's certainly not my favorite season.
>>
>>27641624

Really? are we doing this again?
>>
>>27641571

Yeah, on some level I think really zeroing on Rarity's more positive traits was necessary since she was a character who had previously had a hard time catching on (and it worked, look at her performance in polls on most sites nowadays, she's arguably one of the most popular characters now) But it's important to remind the audiences that she can REALLY fuck up sometimes. That said I liked that even then her fuck up was based in her genuine desire to help others, which has been like the main theme with her this season. They've really been placing more emphasis than ever on the "Generosity" aspect of Rarity.
>>
>>27642182

I liked the characterization in no Second Prances, especially for Trixie, I felt as a character it was by far her best showing.
>>
>>27644339
I'll admit, Trixie surely wasn't bad. She was my favorite part of the episode and this was also my favorite portrayal of her, too. I liked the episode, but it's the only one with something as noticeably terrible as Twilight's behavior and Glimmer's shallow dialogue and repetition, so far.
>>
1 - The Crystalling – Part 1
2 - The Cutie Map – Part 2
6/10
not nearly as bad as i was expecting; I was expecting the crystal empire 2.0 (Seriously, super shitty episode), but it was only "Meh".
Sunburst is a cool guy, and ironically, I LOVE his character while I despise Starlight. Fuck her hard, and not in a sexual way.
I don't mind flurry heart like most people do; I find her mostly harmless, and kind of cute. So long as she gets kicked into the corner and never appears again, I have no issues with her.

One of the weakest Two parters yet (Seriously, after last season's premier, this is horrible), but not Absolute shit tier either. Feels INCREDIBLY fillerish.

3 - The Gift of the Maud Pie
Good episode; solid 8/10. I liked Rarity and maud's chemistry, and overall was a pretty heartwarming episode. Rarity really works well as a straightmare honestly, despite her theatrics (and, ironically enough, she can swap back and forth with maud from being the straightmare to the joke giver depending on the situation).
Also, really felt hat, despite that deadpan way she said it, maud's "I would like to return this pouch for my sister's party canon" was incredibly pissed... for maud.

4 - On Your Marks

5/10. Horribly bland. Bleh. Would not watch again, but it didn't piss me off like some other episodes like MMDW or princess spike did. standard crappy CMC fare.

5 - Gauntlet of Fire
9/10
Great episode. Good new character in ember, spike's actually USEFUL for once, rarity and Twilight are enjoyable and well used, and I Love dragon lord torch.
great adventure episode, and should be what this season's about, being about "exploring equestria" and all.

6 - No Second Prances
6/10
Good trixie, shitty starlight. Liked Trixie and Twilight's interaction, could give a SHIT about the rest, or Starlight's uber autism.
Forklestia and the "how do you get your hair to do that" joke at the end were good though.
>>
7 - Newbie Dash
1/10
SHIT. Cringe the episode basically. There is virtually no redeeming parts of this episode; The imitation joke, that alot of people seem to have enjoyed, was just embarrasing after about 2 seconds end. Plus the entire plot being "Dash acts like a retard attention whore and gets shat on until the final 60 seconds" is the absolute WORST way to cap her story.
its like rapp looked at MMDW and said "That. That is what I will make".

8 - A Hearth's Warming Tail
5/10
bleh. boring and bland, a generic christmas story without any spark to it. Starlight is still shit, singing voice aside, and I found it utterly boring. Loved luna and AJ's song, but past that, utterly forgettable.

9 - Saddle Row Review
10/10. Fuck yeah. THIS is what all the episodes should be. Incredible from start to finish, full AAA performance by the entire mane six, and nothing that I found out of place.
Loved the interview style of the story, as it lead to alot of good jokes, plus some interesting views into the differences between the six
Sweep sweep sweep

10 - Applejack's "Day" Off
3.5/10
It "happens", and that's about all there is to say about it. It doesn't piss me off like some episodes by shitting on characters or being OOC, but its just... like, where the hell's the plot? Its just a series of events.

11 - Flutter Brutter
7.5/10
Decent but not great episode. Love fluttershy and RD in it, but Zephyr is completely unlikeable; its hard to root for him or sympathize with him feeling fear of failure when its more that you feel a sense of relief that he's no longer bothering fluttershy.

12 - Spice Up Your Life
8/10
Like the song, like the characters, love Rarity, and like the overall plot.
Not a super good episode, but a solid one.

Overall, pretty bland Season. DEFINITE step down from S4, S2 and even S5. It just feels like a filler season.
Bleh two parter, I couldn't give a SHIT about starlight, and lots of meh or shit episodes (newbie dash, AJ day off).
Hoping it picks up.
>>
>>27635834
Sunburst you mean; starburst is what Starlight will pop out of her cooch about 9 months later after those two get together.
>>
>>27644485

I actually think it's better so far than 4 which i think was the MOST inconsistent season but not as good as 2 or 5.

also I get the impression you absolutely love Rarity, not that I can blame you.
>>
>>27644541
RD is actually my favorite pony; I just find that Rarity rarely delivers bad episodes is all. I don't think I can list off the top of my head a "bad" rarity episode, while I can for all the other 5.
Rarity normally is my number 3 pony
>>
>>27635215
>The Crystalling – Part 1
>The Cutie Map – Part 2
Shit.

>The Gift of the Maud Pie
Good.

>On Your Marks
Meh.

>Gauntlet of Fire
Good.

>No Second Prances
Meh.

>Newbie Dash
Shit.

>A Hearth's Warming Tail
Great.

>Saddle Row Review
Great.

>Applejack's "Day" Off
Shit.

>Flutter Brutter
Meh.

>Spice Up Your Life
Shit.

Pretty standard season so far for me.
>>
>>27643351
If Rarity fans only like her when she's being a perfect, infallible goddess, and immediately turn in her when she messes up, can you really call them Rarity fans?
>>
>>27645004

It's not so much that they turn on her, it's that they freak out and get worried about everyone else turning on her.
>>
A Hearth's Warming Tail is overrated. It's a standard Dickens expy. It's definitely the weakest of the three Hearth's Warming episodes, IMO.
>>
>>27645534
All the mane 6 fuck up from time to time. The true fans will like them regardless.
The fake fans that dislike them whenever they do things wrong can go fuck themselves. Honestly.
>>
>>27645588

It is a dickens Expy, but you know what? I don't really care. I watch TV shows to be entertained and that episode entertains me everytime I watch it, it's a well executed take on the story in a short period of time.

>>27645664

I think with Rarifans in particular, they remember when she would be bashed over almost anything she did for little reason while everyone else being kind of a jerk would just be brushed off as "bad writing" and stuff like that and they really don't want the fandom to go back to that.
>>
Season 6 has been going great so far, I enjoyed a lot of episodes and only a few made me feel bored. I can only hope we get to see more Starlight in next half of the season, because right now I feel like she's not really there.
>>
File: 1457493433345.png (216KB, 664x714px) Image search: [Google]
1457493433345.png
216KB, 664x714px
>>27646073
>when she would be bashed over almost anything she did for little reason

You mean kinda like how it is with Dash perpetually? I've seen people credulously arguing that her actions towards Zeph in Flutter Brutter were 'cunty'.

Anyways, season ranking list:

Season 1 > Season 2 > Season 5 > Season 6 > Season 3 > Season 4
>>
>>27635215
There were 3 episodes that I actually liked so far and none of them were really outstanding.

Season 6 is pretty disappointing.
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.