[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would the comics be given more respect from Hasbro if they were

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

Would the comics be given more respect from Hasbro if they were very well receive, and the staff was respectful to them and the consumers?
>>
>>27461762
Probably the same position the books are in now.
>>
>>27461762
I think it's that IDW needs to give more respect to Hasbro if anything. As it stands, they really seem to hate Hasbro's lines and give them no attention, especially pony.
>>
>>27461794
That's the point OP was making.
>>
>>27461762
Likely staff would have been directly picked up to work directly for Hasbro.
>>
>>27461762
the comics are badly recived exactly because they were not given enough respect from Hasbro and the staff wasn't respectful to them and the consumers.
>>
>>27461819
I thought it was because the comics were bad and the staff acted terribly that Hasbro solely kept them around because no one else wanted to take on the responsibility of making the comics.
>>
File: img_24.jpg (2MB, 1400x2154px) Image search: [Google]
img_24.jpg
2MB, 1400x2154px
>>27461794

>I think it's that IDW needs to give more respect to Hasbro if anything

They really do that with the transformers comic and the other hasbro related comics, they only ignore the MLP comic, there are literally 0 advertisement of MLP in the other comic. Meanwhile in the MLP comic always have advertisement of the other comic. In the last FF comic they have 7 pages of pic related as advertisement

IDW just don't want to be recognized for the pony comic like in the first day of the MLP comics and they plan is actually working now because MLP isn't the best seller comic of the IDW comic anymore, just the #3 since the last two month
>>
>>27461836
i think that has less to do with advertising and more to do with the shitty writing in the mlp comics.
>>
>>27461853

Hasbro don't give a shit about the quality of the comic.
>>
>>27461873
They care about sales
>>
File: bonbon 9487.png (597KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
bonbon 9487.png
597KB, 800x800px
>>27461853
When would you (and the other anons in the thread) say the comics fell from grace?

I got the comics from the humble bundle all my money went to charity, and I've only read the first couple of them so far due to laziness.

The early ones seemed very good, but the first time on the board I remember the comics being crap was when they had the storyline that turned the comic into shipping celestia with the author's marty stu alternate universe sombra.

Was the decline more gradual? Did it happen earlier? Or, was it pretty much good to fine until someone fucked it all up?
>>
>>27461875

>the sales actually cares in a licensed comic

I need to learn how the economic comic world work
>>
>>27461796
No, by saying "more respect from Hasbro" that would mean Hasbro needs to give IDW more respect, I believe it should be the other way.
>>
>>27461898
It started sucking when they did that, then they got bitter. IDW hates pony now. They barely advertise it and try to hide it.
>>
File: cadance we don't joke about that.png (406KB, 1280x769px) Image search: [Google]
cadance we don't joke about that.png
406KB, 1280x769px
>>27461954
So I guess it's fair to say that the current success of the MLP comic is in spite of what they're doing, not because of it?

After the shipping bs, the ted anderson episode, and the sjw infestation, is there anything really redeeming about the comics?
>>
>>27461898
I think Reflections would be the turning point. Up till then there was hope of things being okay, but that being how it was showed there were too many flaws in their system for arcs in the main comics.
Friends Forevers can still occasionally be fun though. Depending on the team.
>>
>>27461975

>is there anything really redeeming about the comics?

Katie cook isn't the lead writer anymore, she left the comics. We have a new lead writer now.

Maybe the comic would be better now without her
>>
>>27461929
I meant IDW showing Hasbro more respect.
>>
>>27462095

They alredy do that with all the hasbro related comic, MLP is the only exception.
>>
>>27461836
>They really do that with the transformers comic
Didn't IDW's transformers comic turn into "Gay Robot Relationship Issues - In Space" instead of the Robot War action series it used to be?

I've seen a couple of pages from that which seemed promising, but given how I've seen IDW and their writers act when it comes to injecting politics and SJW garbage into their shit, I'm very hesitant to buy into them.
>>
>>27462120
And TF team is given more opportunities by Hasbro.
>>
>>27462146

>Didn't IDW's transformers comic turn into "Gay Robot Relationship Issues - In Space"

Just a little subplot that don't derail the mainplot, but generate a lot of noise. Only that.
>>
>>27461898
in the beginning, it started out as sort of a fun side story for the show. i still have my 99 penny comic and i enjoyed it. id say they fell from grace when stopped being about ponies having adventures and started being about a platform for the writers to soapbox with.
>>
>>27461898
It was progressive.

First arc was great - it explored things we hadn't seen in the show so we didn't have to worry about contradicting lore, and the narrative/characterization was pretty solidly written.

Second arc was decent - characters were pretty well written, but the whole "possessed by space farts" thing was a slap in the face to Luna's characterization. But, the rest of the comic was great and we didn't really recognize the warning signs of what was to come yet, so it was still viewed pretty positively.

Third arc was the Gazebo one, I think, which wasn't amazingly done but didn't really have anything against it, either. It was just kind of cute and silliness. So we still viewed it pretty popularly because hey, it's a nice silly story.

About this time we got the micros as well. I remember them bring pretty hit-or-miss, but at the time we kind of assumed most of the effort was going to the main comics. Again, warning signs in retrospect but we didn't realize that at the time.

Then Reflections hit, and yeah - it was a huge drop in writing quality and characterization, but I think also it was people's tolerance for the sheer mediocrity and problems of earlier comics reaching a boiling point. If something like Nightmarity ran today, I don't think it'd be received nearly as well.
>>
>>27462431
Am I the only one who thinks Reflections was a very good and funny arc?

And I do think that /mlp/ is bad mouthing pretty much anything that isn't perfect.
I also see a lot of unwarranted pass for everything "nostalgic".

I do agree that the comics changed.
But I do think that the micros where pretty much all terrible, except 2.
And that Friends Forever is a lot more consistent in quality.

As for the main serie, I still need to catch up.
>>
>>27462513
>As for the main serie, I still need to catch up.
How far behind are you?
>>
>>27462431
You forgot the Bookworm arc, which was just really weird.
>>
File: Comics in a nutshell.jpg (81KB, 400x607px) Image search: [Google]
Comics in a nutshell.jpg
81KB, 400x607px
bump
>>
>>27461762
Yes
>>
>>27461762

The comics get no respect because it's obvious Curnow doesn't give a shit and the quality of their product is irregular at best and trash more often than not.

Note that Hasbro's own recent children's book work beats the shit out of most of what the comics have managed, and using the same artists. This is why having a good editor matters, people.
>>
>>27464087
They used the only artist that matters to Hasbro.
>>
>>27461762
Yes
>>
>>27461762
Probably.
>>
>>27461762
>"Would people like something better if it was better?"
>>
>>27462967
Which issue is this from?
>>
>>27468329
Latest comic cover.
>>
>>27466639
>/mlp/

No.
>>
>>27468401
Which issue number is that though? I haven't been in the loop of comics for a while?
>>
>>27468525
>>
>>27466639
>me

Yes.

Don't lump me in with you faggots.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.