[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did your taste in /m/ change over the years? I used to enjoy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: 472987_4.jpg (103KB, 280x397px) Image search: [Google]
472987_4.jpg
103KB, 280x397px
Did your taste in /m/ change over the years?

I used to enjoy the space opera genre, but now I'm finding it incredibly overrated at the moment, and I now hold way more objective views about them than I previously did. I found Unicorn to be extremely boring, so that's one of the reasons I'm way more cautious.

I also enjoy earlier mecha a lot more than I previously did. The further back you go, the more you realise how that things have always existed, and that brand new ideas are simply a fresh rehash of the past.
>>
I don't think you can change your opinion about an entire genre. There is not really any similarities between Harlock, LoGH and Gundam.

But yeah, tastes change as you grow up, regardless of your age.
>>
>>15855668
Yeah, I used to think Go Nagai was good. Pretty shit, I know.
>>
i used to hate toku but over the last year i've grown to love it
>>
>>15856062
You need to get a life.
>>
>>15855668
I used to prefer 90s anime to 80s anime, now I prefer 80s anime to 90s anime. It also got me to look at more 70s stuff.
>>
>>15855668
I don't really think so. I came to the genre in earnest just over a decade ago, looking for interesting sf ideas, and that's what I'm still trying to find. There are some things that I've learned to tolerate (the first time I tried to watch NGE, I couldn't make it past episode 2), and as I get older I've slowly lost patience with shaky-cam shots, but nothing drastic.

What has changed is my prediction ability for whether I'll like something. At first, everything was a mystery, but these days there are plenty of things that I'll spend 30 seconds of research on, then decide to skip.

I also realized somewhere along the way (I think it was GitS 2 that did it) that I do, sometimes, care about visual quality, so I stopped downloading 600x480 blurry slideshows and started preferring "archive-quality" encodes.
>>
File: 1478463867563.jpg (149KB, 458x750px) Image search: [Google]
1478463867563.jpg
149KB, 458x750px
>>15855668
>Did your taste in /m/ change over the years?
I don't know if change is the right word. More like "expanded". I started with /m/ things like Robotech, Galaxy Express, Transformers, Power Rangers etc. when I was young and I've pretty much just branched out from there. I like a healthy variety of things spanning from the '60s to today. I don't get the guys are obsessed with a particular decade/genre/style, there's great stuff everywhere you just have to look.
>>
>>15856567
What kinda stuff from the 60's?
>>
>>15856586
Tezuka/Ishinomori/Yokoyama mainly
>>
>>15856592
I'm willing to bet you're the guy who gets butthurt everytime someone mentions nagai
>>
>>15856685
Why are you shitposting? Nagai is one of my absolute favorites.
>>
>>15856909
Oh sorry, I thought you were the guy who goes on an autistic rampage because /m/ didn't talk about Ishimori enough.
>>
>>15856913
Not him but that's true, Ishinomori is a great author so as Yokoyama and yet so few of theire works are translated. The same is true for Nagai as well but it's less significant since most of his major manga have been available.

But come on, Cyborg009 isn't even translated, that'a such a shame.
>>
>>15857131
>it's less significant since most of his major manga have been available.
Just a decade ago, barely anything from Nagai was available in English and his name always carried the stigma of the Violence Jack OVAs and his other risqué animated adaptations, in a time where anime fans wanted to be taken more seriously.

I discovered Nagai through the English Wikipedia article which provided a lot of information about him. The little number of English fans that he got stepped up and made it easier for people to get acquainted with him.

If hardcore fans of Ishinomori really want to be less ignored, a good place to work on would be his own English Wikipedia page, which is frankly very lacking, compared to his Japanese page.

That is way more constructive than this faggot going on an autistic drivel because /m/ doesn't talk about his favourite author.

>Cyborg009
Not fully translated, but it doesn't need to. Most of the major arcs are already in the first 10 volumes.
>>
I like super robot more that real robot now.
>>
>>15857131
>>15857296
>But come on, Cyborg009 isn't even translated, that'a such a shame.
>Not fully translated, but it doesn't need to. Most of the major arcs are already in the first 10 volumes.
A group of patriots scanlated and translated a good portion of the post Yomi stuff; from the volume 11 up until the beginning of volume 19, with the Underwater Pyramid arc. Dunno if the group that did those scans are still working on it. But is your best/only chance of reading it, anyway, as iirc the manga series rights are kind of freezed. So, nobody should expect a new release of the manga in the west, even more the post first 10 volumes, in the near future.
>>
I've been reading more stuff by Ishinomori and Yokoyama lately.
>>
>>15857413
There's always the French release, which did get past vol. 10.
>>
>>15857524
The french release was stopped at volume 19 due to poor sales (officialy, maybe there was an other reason). That's just sad, espesialy when the poor sales where due to a lack of any form of publicity and a terrible pricing for a terrible edition.

>>15857296

I would like to know more about Ishinomori and Yokoyama, but how could I edit theire wikipedia page if I cannot read theire stuff, Mars and Giant Robot isn't enought.
Still your right, even if I doubt a wiki article can really make a difference, if there is none that's even worst.
>>
>>15857524
>>15857546
Italy got everything.
>>
>>15857413
Yes, I read those. So there's actually plenty of Cyborg 009 material out there. The problem with the mentality of some people is that they won't read it until everything is scanlated but 009 is arc driven, so there's a satisfying conclusion at the end of every arc.

>>15857546
>but how could I edit their Wikipedia page if I cannot read their stuff, Mars and Giant Robo isn't enough.
Yokoyama has more than just Mars and Giant Robo scanlated. Look up Date Masamune, Sangokushi etc.

>Still you're right, even if I doubt a wiki article can really make a difference, if there is none that's even worse.
Google translate the Japanese page. You'll often find stuff you didn't know about that author.

And yes, wikipedia pages make a huge difference. Just type Shotaro Ishinomori in Google and see what are the pages that come up. This is where people get their information.

There's also the Kamen Rider wiki which has a page on him, but it's still nothing compared to what we know about Nagai, even though there's probably more information about Ishinomori in Japanese than Nagai.
>>
>>15857668
http://forestofstone.tumblr.com/post/125974267909/shotaro-ishinomori-the-king-of-manga

This is the best thing I got.
>>
>>15857811
Or you can do that, run a blog.
>>
>>15855668
I think it's that you just got a burned of the space opera kind of mecha anime
Some variety is important to have
>>
File: cyborgpg2.jpg (70KB, 380x543px) Image search: [Google]
cyborgpg2.jpg
70KB, 380x543px
>>15857811
Yeah, Forest of Stone blog would be the best option for Ishinomori related content. And he does give sources in the stuff he/they write. Is also thanks to that blog that I finally seen the infamous scene that made fans mad, where 009 and 003 have sex.
>>
>>15855668
Not really. I have more patience with shows now though. Or maybe it's masochism.
>>
>>15856161
>slideshows
Because Godmars gains sakuga if you just download it in the highest possible quality.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.