[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Military Sci Fi writer Jerry Pournelle just passed away.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: Pournelle- High Justice.jpg (141KB, 375x640px) Image search: [Google]
Pournelle- High Justice.jpg
141KB, 375x640px
Military Sci Fi writer Jerry Pournelle just passed away.
Press P to pay respects
>>
>>15855437
P

World needed more SciFi Authors like him. A /m/an who could not only write but was also an accomplished aerospace engineer. He was literally the engineer who came up with the concept of Rods from God.
>>
>>15855437
P

Did he ever get to finish the next installment of his Janissaries series? At least other authors got to play around in his CoDominium/Empire/Motie setting.
>>
>>15855437
Shit, he did? That's a shame, I wasn't expecting this news. We certainly have lost a good one, he came up with a lot of cool ideas. P
>>
>>15855437
P

Sad news. Everyone was upset about Prince and Bowie dying last year. But it feels like we're losing the greats of fiction as well.
>>
>>15855437
P

I don't read many books. What's his style like, and what's a good first recommendation, if High Justice isn't already one?
>>
>military
fuck off
>>
>>15855437
P.
Loved your stuff, Jerry.
>>
>>15855778
The Mote in God's Eye. Co-written with Niven.
>>
>>15855437
P. I think I'm going to (re-)read High Justice this weekend in honor.

>>15855778
His stuff can be reasonably hard (I like it, and my favorite author of all time is Lem, which should be some kind of indicator), which is probably from the aerospace engineer side. The stuff by him that I've read feels very exploratory: there's an idea of scenario, and he plays it out as best he can. The idea is more of the focus than any character or struggle is.

As >>15855829 said, Mote is a really good one. Footfall also deserves to be mentioned.
>>
>>15855437
May the man rest in peace.
>>
Can anyone list 5-10 really good sci-fi authors? People not as well known as Philip K Dick, Frank Herbert, etc,
>>
F

He was a legend
>>
>>15855866
>Footfall also deserves to be mentioned
Footfall is easily the best hard scifi alien invasion story. Niven and Pournelle at their best.
>>
>>15855877
E.E. 'Doc' Smith, Edmond Hamilton, Leigh Bracket, Alfred Bester, Poul Anderson, Clifford D. Simak, C.L. Moore, A. E. van Vogt, Stanley Weinbaum
>>
>>15855926
>Edmond Hamilton
I read Star Wolf and some of his Captain Future. Fun stuff.
>>
>>15855866
I have to note that High Justice is a collection of short stories supposedly set early in the timeline which includes Mote in God's Eye, although there doesn't seem to be much connecting it with what would become the CoDominium. With regards to the cover blurb in the OP, 'interplanetary monsters' means 'various governments & corporations,' as the stories are generally low-key corporate affairs with few action scenes.

I personally prefer the stories involving Falkenberg's Legion.
>>
>>15855437
P
>>
File: Salwowski_Banks_State(1stEd)HR.jpg (684KB, 2500x999px) Image search: [Google]
Salwowski_Banks_State(1stEd)HR.jpg
684KB, 2500x999px
>>15855877
Iain M Banks.
>>
What's the best Pournelle book for a beginner?
>>
>>15855673
As far as I know his last work seems to be a collaboration with some other authors on a California secession anthology.
>>
>>15861649

t. underaged nobody
>>
P

>>15861475
>>15855778

Go for 'Legacy of Heorot', it's got a bunch of fun 'Oh, Shit!' moments.
>>
File: 27 - Lagunan Battleship Art.jpg (640KB, 1275x1754px) Image search: [Google]
27 - Lagunan Battleship Art.jpg
640KB, 1275x1754px
>>15855437
I will pay my respects by asking for a Mega of his books.
>>
>>15861649
John Scalzi browses /m/?
>>
>>15861475
Mote in God's eye
>>
>>15864651
They're giving out free copies of There Will Be War vol 2 on Amazon right now.
>>
>>15855437
P

Footfall is what all HFY stories should be.
>>
File: Foss 1.png (312KB, 383x364px) Image search: [Google]
Foss 1.png
312KB, 383x364px
>>
>>15855437
F
>>
>>15855926
>Clifford D. Simak

He was a good "idea guy" but not a great writer. Pournelle's non-fiction was better than his fiction, but some if it is dated, like when he bought into the overpopulation myth in the 70's.
>>
>>15855877
John C. Wright
Gene Wolfe
Brad R. Torgersen
Murray Leinster
Cordwainer Smith
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.