[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just watched this and it was absolutely fantastic. What's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

File: A466-3421515833.1469091384.jpg (173KB, 797x780px) Image search: [Google]
A466-3421515833.1469091384.jpg
173KB, 797x780px
Just watched this and it was absolutely fantastic. What's Diebuster all about, in a vague sense? Is it a direct sequel, spiritual successor, etc?
>>
>>15850429
don't watch diebuster for at least a few months, it's tied to the first one but for a lot of people (me included) it's disappointing, especially if you see it right after gunbuster which is just fucking magical.
>>
>>15850460
nigga i'm not waiting months to watch an anime
>>
>>15850429
It's very, very different, but still related. Just don't go in with expectations that it'll be the same thing or a traditional sequel. It's hard to say much else without just seeing for yourself.
>>
>>15850474
>it's not a traditional sequel
Pretty much all I needed to know, thanks boy.
>>
>>15850462
Watch FLCL first and then Diebuster because it's a very loose sequel to both.
>>
>>15850597
What? Outside shallow comparisons how is it connected to FLCL at all?
>>
>>15850602
The Brotherhood. And thematically, robots being summoned from people's foreheads which are sealed away with a little adhesive is very purposefully a nod to FLCL.
>>
>>15850429
Go back and watch Ace wo nerae to wash the shit out of your mouth
>>
>>15850429
Its a distant sequel, but the endings of both line up. Its very different, but hits a lot of the same plot notes that Gunbuster does with a radically different aesthetic and whatnot. It kinda feels inferior to Gunbuster to start off with, but it *really* picks up, so give it a chance and don't come into it expecting more of Gunbuster.
>>
>>15850775
Careful, you'll ruin the surprise.
>>
>>15850612
It's not related to FLCL in terms of the story (although there are probably theories that it is) but thematically the show has a quite a few references and similarities to FLCL. Also, you're lying if you don't think Lal'C looks like a younger Lieutenant Kitsurabami from FLCL.
>>
File: 1503430049321.jpg (128KB, 723x1217px) Image search: [Google]
1503430049321.jpg
128KB, 723x1217px
Don't mind me, just posting best Gunbuster
>>
>>15850429
It's Gunbuster with less epic and more annoying characters. If Noriko had problems using the mechas against insects that move near speed of light (which is completely understandable), Diebuster's main character is so stupid that she cannot walk and chew gum at the same time (which is extremely irritating).
The mechas look like rejected designs from One Piece pirates. The character designs are rehashes of FLCL designs (and as much as I like Sadamoto's designs, there's only one Haruhiko Mikimoto and no one compares to him). The music is completely forgettable. The only nice moment in the whole series is touching because it's a direct reference to the original. But the anime itself adds nothing to the franchise and, though somewhat an OK anime, is many, many times inferior than the original.
As someone said, Gunbuster is magical. Diebuster is meh.
>>
>>15851493

Nice try, but you have to do something about the music part next time, it just doesn't click.
>>
I would have like Diebuster a shitload more if it was "HEY KIDS MORE FLCL it was Gunbuster all along" instead of "MORE GUNBUSTER jk it's FLCLno really it was Gunbuster"
>>
OP here. Four episodes into Diebuster and you guys are completely right, it feels like the under-performing lovechild of FLCL and Gunbuster. What's really triggering me is how they've introduced all this extra shit and not explained what any of it is. I don't know what all is included in "Topless Abilities", I don't know how someone can become a Topless aside from eating spooky space bug meat or being born that way, I don't know if "Exotic Maneuver" is just sub-lightspeed movement, etc. Wish they would have cooled it on the pronoun game and just used terms from Gunbuster.
>>
>>15850429
The two series are polar opposites both visually and tonally.
If you enjoyed FLCL, Panty and Stocking, Gurren Lagann & Kill la Kill you will like Diebuster.
If you go in expected another down to earth, semi-Hard sci-fi which examines the side effects of FTL travel & time dilation whilst attempting to ground it's technology in realism like Gunbuster did... You'll hate Diebuster.
>>
>>15851685
You're just getting to good part imo

>>15851715
Then how can you reconcile both?
>>
>topless have weird frontal lobes
Like, I'm 100% down for bullshit made-up 'Plavsky particles make the plastic models go' fake science, but come on. This was a handwave that barely stretched a sentence and tried to explain one of the key points of this series.
>>
Don't be nitpicky, you ass.
>>
welp, at least the ending was nice.
>>
>>15851493
The music was the best thing about Diebuster you philistine.
>>
>>15851685
It's a joke about how Noriko ripped her shirt off.
>>
>>15852029
yeah no shit that doesn't explain their magic superpowers though
>>
>>15852048
It's soft science fiction.
>>
>>15851685

Basically Topless is being a teen with a wild imagination and ESP powers that make everything you imagine true, and these powers disappear when as you grow up. Exotic Maneuver is overwriting regular physics with the help Topless powers (probably amplified by Buster Machine). IIRC eating space meat was like a method to have some sort of fake Toplessness for an adult. Given a time gap between Gunbuster and Diebuster it's not that strange that there are all kinds of new terms, actually.
>>
>>15852297

Damn, I have to go get some sleep.
>>
>>15850429
I usually don't care for fantastical sci-fi like TTGL and FLCL but somethign about Diebuster's style and it's place in the Gunbuster timeline 11,990 years later suspends my disbelief enough to subscribe to the whole "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from mahou shojou" idea
>>
>>15852048
It's a cartoon about giant space robots.
>>
>>15852649
I don't see how that deflects any criticisms made. "Haha it's a cartoon lol. It doesn't have to explain itself in terms of its own universe"
>>
What are some connections between FLCL and Diebuster? I know forehead powers and delicious brown are two of them.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.