[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do we call it Zeta when it's just a 'Z' in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam.jpg (532KB, 1600x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam.jpg
532KB, 1600x1000px
Why do we call it Zeta when it's just a 'Z' in the title yet we call it 'ZZ' like in the title instead of Double Zeta?
>>
>>15838176
2 syllables is fine. 4 is a bit too much.
>>
nigga who gives a shit
>>
>>15838204
OP
>>
>>15838176
>Why do we call it Zeta when it's just a 'Z' in the title
Because in the show they call the titular mecha the "Zeta Gundam".

>yet we call it 'ZZ' like in the title instead of Double Zeta?
I don't know who the "we" is supposed to be here, but the correct name of the show IS "Gundam Double Zeta".
>>
>>15838176
It depends. The Zeta is always written out, but the ZII is always written like that even when it's still pronounced "Zeta Two". Long story short, consistency is for the weak.
>>
>>15838176
Aside from your assertion about the ZZ Gundam being wrong (and yes, the show is Gundam ZZ but the gundam is ZZ Gundam), we say Zeta because there's furigana in the title that tells you how to pronounce it.

See also New Mobile Report Gundam W, which has furigana telling you to say it as Wing (which most of the west just took as the name itself)
>>
Because the "z" is not the English letter "z" but the Greek "z", which is Zeta. If CCA had been a full series, it might've been Kidou Senshi N Gundam, for Nu. If the Hyaku-Shiki had been the main suit, and kept the Delta Gundam designation, it'd be D Gundam.
>>
>>15838277
To be pedantic, it would be ν Gundam, maybe lazily rendered v Gundam, not N. Don't ask why they went lowercase for it but upper for Z.
>>
>>15838176
Because of memes, and not the modern definition. Somebody started doing it and it caught on, this is the only reason.
>>
>>15838176
It's not the letter Z, it's the Greek letter which is read as Zeta

Saying Zeta Gundam is correct.

>we call it 'ZZ' like in the title instead of Double Zeta?

No one pronounces it ZEE ZEE Gundam, everyone says Double Zeta.
>>
>>15838176
>watching youtube vids about Gundam
>idiot says things like "Gundam Zero Zero" and "Zee Zee Gundam"
>>
>>15838277
>>15841209
/thread
>>
>>15841213
Just to make sure 00 is "Double Oh" right?
>>
>>15841209
I actually say "Zeta Zeta Gundam".
>>
>>15838198
>daburu ou sebunti nain
>>
>>15841209
>>No one pronounces it ZEE ZEE Gundam,
Well, of course not. Because the 26'th letter of the English alphabet is pronounced 'zed'.
>>
>>15838246
>But the ZII is always written like that even when it's still pronounced "Zeta Two".
But that's wrong you fucking retard.
>>
>>15838270
Not OP but I guess he's asking why in the west we call them

ガンダムW > Gundam Wing
Zガンダム > Zeta Gundam
ガンダムZZ > Gundam ZZ instead of Double Zeta which would be consistent with the two above.
>>
>>15838176
>yet we call it 'ZZ'
What kind of barbarian says "ZZ" over Double Zeta?
>>
>>15847446
I know "Zed" is technically the correct pronunciation, but it sounds so fucking dumb. "Zee" sounds better.
>>
>>15847997
Ayy, Bed, Ced, Ded, Ed, Eff, Ged...
>>
>>15847458
>>ガンダムW > Gundam WingZ
>>ガンダム > Zeta Gundam
>>ガンダムZZ > Gundam ZZ instead of Double Zeta which would be consistent with the two above.

So when do we get Zeta Gundam Wing ?
>>
>>15838246

ZII is read Zettwo (the katakana is "zettsuu").
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.