[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I love Shin Mazinger. Since 2009, I've been waiting for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_0419.jpg (98KB, 848x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0419.jpg
98KB, 848x480px
I love Shin Mazinger. Since 2009, I've been waiting for a new mature super robot show since but it seems we'll never ever return to Imagawa's writing again.

When the new Toeizinger trailer dropped recently, I thought it's time to finally say goodbye. SRW will replace it with the new shiny Toeizinger and I can't believe 8 years have passed since.
Mazinkaiser fags probably felt the same when it was replaced by Shin.
>>
Also, for 8 years, I naively believed that there was a chance that they were going to at least make a short OVA sequel to resolve the plot point with Ankoku Daishogun, and that never happened till SRW itself decided to take the matter into their own hands.

If not, I was expecting Imagawa to collaborate with an artist to do a Mazinger manga sequel, but that never happened either.
>>
>>15831085
>mature
>any SR, let alone Mazinger
kek
>>
>>15831085
You actually like that edgy for edge's sake Slowzinger Z?
>>
>>15831099
Shin Mazinger was for a mature audience, given its time slot (23:30) and the heavier storytelling that Imagawa brought to the table. It's not surprising, considering he did the Tetsujin 28 2004 remake, and I don't know if you watched it, but that show is probably even more mature than Shin, and the plot lines were heavy as fuck.

>>15831103
Not only I enjoyed the slowness of the show, I massively enjoyed the focus on the family drama. It felt more way personal than any other SR shows I had watched before.

I love Ashura's struggle having to decide between his / her loyalty to Dr.Hell or to the Mycenae Empire.

But I'm interested in hearing your thoughts as to why you didn't like it. I loved Shin precisely for the aspects you probably despise.
>>
>>15831085
You should have expected that by the time Dynamic Pro finally collaborated with Toei again with Robot Girls Z. It was a clear sign they were working together again after so many years.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to it. In the Shin Mazinger didn't really add much to SRW and they quickly had to make original additions. As far as SRW goes, the upcoming movie seems much more promising.
>>
>>15831114
the story is a convoluted mess, started in medias res without proper setup, kept jumping in points in story with no payoffs, narration keeps breaking the pace, keeps wasting episodes in flashbacks that they already do on top of flashbacks.

the story is more of tell instead of showing and its all so infuriating to sit through it.
>>
>>15831128
Cool, but I enjoyed everything you're saying. I thought they were a plus as opposed to a downside. I enjoyed the flashbacks, considering this Mazinger was all about past betrayals, and having much of its plot focused on the past was kinda refreshing and unique to me.

I previously watched Giant Robo which I loved before getting into Shin, and I 100% approve his directing style and storytelling methods. I love how every plot thread came together in the end.
>>
>>15831130
when you're waiting for 8 years for a resolution of the story, you just basically admitted that Imagawa didn't tie up everything in the end, you know
>>
>>15831139
I was waiting on the resolution of blade, and the return of Zeus. Those are the only two plot points I looked forward to Imagawa resolving. I don't think the show needed an actual Great Mazinger sequel.

But other than those two, I'm satisfied with the ending. It reminded me of Devilman.
>>
Mazinger is mostly known for its giant robot violence and blatant acts of heroism, but here's a show that basically turned all of that over its head.

Stupid acts of heroism got you into big trouble. But overthinking it will backfire on you too, and you got both Kouji and his mom to show for it.
>>
>>15831103
>edgy for edge's sake
That's everything by Go Nagai
>>
>>15831142
which he could have done if he didn't do endless faffing about side characters like the violent jack characters, the unnecessary rival professor, etc, etc, etc.

Or he could have done it, if the god damn shit was slow as shit with slower than snail pace.
>>
>>15831150
I don't find Devilman edgy though. Violence Jack can be kind of edgy, but the violence in Devilman was justified and expected.
>>
>>15831150
except Imagawa is trying to play it straight.
>>
>>15831085
Toeizinger is great though.
>>
>>15831085
I love both Shin Mazinger and Imagawa's madness and Toeizinger. Come at me.
>>
>>15831156
Not gonna argue with you there. I didn't enjoy the first few episodes of Shin as much, and I had no clue what Imagawa was doing, but I think I started really liking Shin from episode 10, when we first got in our first giant robot battle, and the plot points that take from Ishikawa's Relic of Terror, the increased focus on the family drama and backstory.

I love all the Violence Jack characters and I thought it was a smart decision for them to act like the ground troops to fight against Ashura's ground troops. It takes off the weight off Kouji who now doesn't have to do the hand to hand fighting as much when he's not piloting Mazinger.

>if the god damn shit was slow as shit with slower than snail pace.
Like I said, I felt the slow pace for the earlier episodes, but once past episode 10, with everything that went on, I thought the pace was mostly fine till the end.
>>
File: ranchorcoolranch.jpg (16KB, 325x244px) Image search: [Google]
ranchorcoolranch.jpg
16KB, 325x244px
>>15831164
Pick a side
>>
File: m3v70cCd2o1r9gg8zo1_1280.jpg (211KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
m3v70cCd2o1r9gg8zo1_1280.jpg
211KB, 1024x768px
>>15831162
>>15831164
Don't get me wrong, I think the new movie looks great too and the old fans older than I am deserve it, but it's just a shame that Imagawa doesn't seem to be affiliated with Go Nagai anymore.

Go Nagai praised Shin Mazinger for its complex plotting, but his love wasn't shared by the fans. There was a backlash because of Imagawa's direction, and the fact that it was a reboot that seemed to erase Toeizinger. People didn't like that.

But looking back, Shin Mazinger's backlash didn't feel justified, and the show suffered unnecessarily from it, with both Japanese and Spanish fans leaving angry comments for it.
>>
>>15831183
I would love to see Imagawa directing more stuff; I would be hard pressed to find a series or an episode directed by him that i didn't enjoy.
>>
>>15831191
>or an episode directed by him that i didn't enjoy.
Probably Shin Mazinger episode 22 for me. It was mostly stuff we've already seen.

The first arc with the missing pilder wasn't that exciting compared to what came after, but it did establish the characters.
>>
File: Booklet 01.jpg (1MB, 2859x1414px) Image search: [Google]
Booklet 01.jpg
1MB, 2859x1414px
Quick question,

Kanjite Knight or The GARdian?
>>
As a Mazinkaiserfag, I did feel upset once Shin burst onto the screen and pushed Kaiser aside.
>>
>>15831214
It sucks for people who got into a specific version of a Mazinger.

Or how about the people who got into MazinSaga just to find Nagai being unable to complete the story.
>>
>>15831114
Good one

>>15831160
Also a good one
>>
toeizinger is fine
shin mazinger is cool
the new movie looks hella cool

mazinkaiser is fucking trash tho.
>>
Actually the new movie seems to me so repetitive and boring. It's like something you already know... a standard story, and not a classic.
>>
>>15831170
>I think I started really liking Shin from episode 10, when we first got in our first giant robot battle

are you fucking kidding me
>>
>>15831989
That is some impressive shit taste, cuck
>>
The worst part about this shit is that Tetsuya was finally gaining ssome fucking traction. He got an upgrade that put him on par with the Shin Getter team and Kouji for fucking once in how long?
Hopefully Tetsuya will become a mainstay again.
>>
>>15832633

Eh, if this is really a sequel to the Toei show, they can just include Great Mazinger in the series list and throw Tetsuya in with the Mazin Emperor G, even if Tetsuya doesn't appear in the movie, like how Zeta and CCA are almost always together in SRW.
>>
>>15831114
I like you.
>>
Meanwhile, I'm just happy when any Getter appears.
>>
>>15831237
>Or how about the people who got into MazinSaga just to find Nagai being unable to complete the story.
Literally nobody got into MazinSaga, though.
>>
>>15831128
>convoluted is immature
>>
>>15833164
Except you're wrong.

Some people did. Some people have official releases.
>>
>>15833157
Fuck off cuck
>>
>>15831989
Toezinger and Mazinkaiser are kino.
The new movie will be shit, just like shin was.
>>
>>15834045
Doesn't matter. It was never finished because it sold like shit.
>>
>>15837128
>Toezinger and Mazinkaiser are kino.
>Toeizinger

The criteria for kino have really gotten low if a monster of the week badly animated kids show is seen as kino.
Fun as fuck? Sure, but stop throwing around the word kino you faggots.
>>
>>15837946
Kino is just a shitty meme word, why are you thinking it carries any weight?
>>
>>15837946
>Judging a material's artistic value through its medium alone.

Pleb.
>>
>>15839160
You judge material for what it is, in the end Toeizinger is a dated monster of the week show. It may be fun and enjoyable, but it doesn't do anything else.

>>15839100
You know what? I won't even argue about that because you have a point. I just connect the world to describing something amazing, really well made and other crap like that. I won't deny that Mazinger as a whole has a legacy, but I can't see Toeizinger as more than just a dated but fun show.
>>
I love Mazinger and everything it stands for, but I I have to admit there isn't a single iteration that really stands out for me. Have a lot of respect for both toeizinger and shin, but I can't claim to "love" either of them. Manga is good but uneven. Zero might do it for me but it's not fully translated. Mazinkaiser might very well be the "definitive" version of the story, but I find Kaiser too '90 overdesigned. And I suspect the movie will be empty eye candy and nostalgia pandering.

Welp, guess I'm going back to youtube for SRW V play throughs.
>>
>>15839864
Depends what you're expecting from Mazinger.
>>
>>15837946
>>15839819
Mazinger Z isn't just a dumb motw show. It had a lot of heart put in some of the episodes. Even Great had an episode tackling racism, and Grendizer had a lot of episodes that subliminally touched on some of the most serious issues of society. Ttgl was dumb super robot fun, but not early toei stuff. They were more than just durr hurr believe in yourself and destroy other giant robots.

Why wouldn't you call Gundam a dumb motw show then? Just because it included more realistic robots and made some areas less flashy doesn't mean it didn't touch upon similar themes.
>>
>>15840281
I'll say this though, the toei movies form the '70 are really rally nice. I own the bluray box and the art is frigging amazing. Vs general darkness is probably the purest encapsulation of what makes Mazinger great (pun intended)
>>
>>15842863
>what makes Mazinger great (pun intended)
And that would be?
>>
>>15831085
>mature
Really? You think Shin Mazinger is "mature"? I'm not saying it's bad, I like it a lot actually, but it sure as hell not mature, or any mecha anime for that matter.
>>
>>15842906
>You think Shin Mazinger is "mature"
>but it sure as hell not mature
Then you would be wrong, because the audience for Go Nagai reboots is a mature audience, as proven by the time slot it aired in. It's a late night anime (23:30).

Note: Just because it's for a mature audience, doesn't mean it cannot attract younger viewers.

Mecha anime generally aim for teenagers and young adults, but Go Nagai's stuff is usually aimed at the audience who hold nostalgia for his works who are way older now, and the ones who would actually buy the merchandise of his stuff.

Even this new movie is for people who grew up on the original TV series. That will be its main audience.
>>
>>15842891
Iconic, heroic mecha design. Bizzarre and inventive creature design. Dynamic action direction. Really a whole lot of gorgeously colored 70 era animation.
>>
>>15842936
>Mecha anime generally aim for teenagers and young adults, but Go Nagai's stuff is usually aimed at the audience who hold nostalgia for his works who are way older now, and the ones who would actually buy the merchandise of his stuff.

And that's exactly why it wouldn't be mature. You think the nostalgic fans of Toeizinger want to watch Ulysses-with-Robots (I'd watch that. REOPORUDO, HASSHA!)? No, they want something that hark back to the anime they fondly remember while improving on it, so some elements of the narrative will be preserved, including the not-a-mature-story element.
>>
>>15842960
There are some very debatable points there, but okay.
>>
>>15842968
How they're gonna get their audience is irrelevant. What you consider mature or not is irrelevant. The most important part to remember is what makes a mature show mature, is not the content, which is entirely subjective, but the type of people it attracts, and Shin attracted the older audience, given its time slot and general show aesthetics.

Same with Imagawa's Tetsujin 28 reboot and Giant Robo. They were made for a special kind of niche audience that definitely didn't consist of kids or teens.
>>
>>15843006
They did not consist of kids or teens because the show was made for a nostalgic audience, who definitely won't be in either of the aforementioned age groups, not because they were "mature" stories. You think every story that attracts an older group of people is immediately mature? Should we consider Barney The Dinosaur a mature show because some old people watch it for the nostalgic value? I know, extreme example, but the meaning is the same. Not everything people older than the kid, teen, or young-adult age-group is "mature".
>>
>>15842968
I would call South Park a mature / teen cartoon, and when I say this, I'm technically correct. I'm not judging its content, I'm judging the kind of people it's intended for.

Sure, kids may enjoy it, but it clearly isn't made for them in mind. Teenagers and adults are more likely to engage in it instead. Even then, it technically isn't for every teen, given it has a TV-MA rating.
>>
>>15843018
The rating argument is something else, I'm talking about the content. By the way, Shin Mazinger didn't have a mature age rating, at least not from what I remember.
>>
>>15843017
>not because they were "mature" stories.
Do I have to repeat myself? What you consider mature and not mature is entirely subjective. I wasn't talking from my own subjective experience in any case. If you want me to tell you why I think Shin is a mature show, content wise, I can dwell on that, but I'm not here to talk about that, and it isn't what I meant, when I said that the show is mature.

>Should we consider Barney The Dinosaur a mature show because some old people watch it for the nostalgic value?
No, because Barney The Dinosaur's primary audience is made for kids, making it a kid's show. The fact that some older people watch it doesn't change the fact that its hard TV rating is most likely TV-Y.

>Not everything people older than the kid, teen, or young-adult age-group is "mature".
Um yes it is.
According to most ratings, yes it is.

>This program is specifically designed to be viewed by adults and therefore may be unsuitable for children under 17.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TV_parental_guidelines_(US)
>>
>>15843032
So tv age-rating it is, then. Did Shin Mazinger have a mature tv age-rating?
>>
>>15843029
>The rating argument is something else
It's the only thing I meant. I don't care about the whether the content is mature or not argument, because it's all based on personal experiences. Some people may consider smoking or drinking "immature", and generally has a negative connotation to it. It's purely an emotional debate, and I'm not interested in getting into one. I think war is immature, but then it's waged by mostly adults. I'm not wrong, and neither people who are fighting are.

>By the way, Shin Mazinger didn't have a mature age rating, at least not from what I remember.
No it didn't, but it had ads during its airtime pushing for the sale of new chogokin, with nostalgic montage, with a kid doing breast fire pose all the way to 2009, where you can see that the kid grew up into a salaryman still doing the pose.

That is clear marketing towards an older audience. If you want to look at the ad, I suggest you get the gattai tv broadcast release of Shin Mazinger. I'm sure they left that in, in the first episode or so.

>>15843037
I don't know about Japanese TV ratings, but considering it aired at 23:30, effectively making it a late night anime, its intended audience is definitely not kids and not teens, given they were banking on nostalgia.
>>
The original Toei Mazinger Z tv series was for kids, and that is clear when you look at their old ads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T29p606zCYo
>>
>tfw not in America so I can't watch Shin Mazinger with a presumably competent translation on Crunchyroll
The fansubs are so fucking bad, it hurts
>>
File: Screenshot_20170904-153751.png (767KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170904-153751.png
767KB, 1280x720px
Who is the best Kabuto Kouji seiyuu and why is it Kenji Akabane?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H7W8BZkxRbY

Also gonna be sad to see best Kouji go but at least SRW found a way to wrap up the (Shin) Great General of Darkness story.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.